Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, Starring Lil' Ol' Ray Of Sunshine Les Moore

Entirely correct, and yet for some reason I want to start rollin' coal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Rae the Doe's web archives enters a short storyline :)

Rae the Doe #100

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I rather like the breathless continuity narration of Ella Cinders. It's adorably archaic, like the strip is reading itself to you. Reminds me of things like Fiorello LaGuardia reading the comics over the radio, though I'm not sure how many times he hollered "WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT!!" on the air.

The updates about Blackie are really intriguing because I remember Frank King did that for ages in Gasoline Alley during a storyline where Skeezix was kidnapped. Someone spotted the kid in Louisiana and Alabama! Police report false lead in Indiana! I think it adds something neat to the serial format and most likely drew in kids, too. I'm just not sure when the Gasoline Alley storyline ran so I don't know which strip predated which here, or if they were both working after someone else.

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 6, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 19, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 19, 1999)

Garfield Classic (January 19, 1989)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Green Intern posted:

These people better be paid real well (although I imagine part of that pay would be "gets to live in quarters in the nice part of town")
It's sounds like 90% of their job is living in a nice house and being paid just to be available whenever the royal family stops by.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Edge of Anticlimax

In case you ever wanted to know what expression a cockblocked tiger would have, there you go.

I wrote this for the crocodile attack a month ago and I wasn't correct that time, but I think I'm still going to claim a "called it" now:

Powered Descent posted:

Hell, it'd almost be more plausible if this thing is named Fido and it's been her friend for fifteen years.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Feb 1, 1952)

Apparently what he's listening to isn't a song but a children's poem by Eugene Field called "The Sugar Plum Tree" written in the late 1800s. I haven't been able to find a song version the strip might be referring to but if it was part of a collection of kid's music that was popular for a hot minute it could just be lost to time. Anyways the joke is that Charlie Brown is being an art snob about a nursery rhyme. :thejoke:

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 27-28, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Jul 15, 2016)

(Sep 6, 2020)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If you enjoy the Conan strips, I HIGHLY recommend the Dark Horse series.
Came out uh well, Volume 3, which contains the Elephant Tower story, came out in 2006.
I currently have 10 volumes. I haven't picked one up in a long time, I should see where they are at now.

I took some lovely iPhone pictures of a few pages that we've seen in the strips, to show off the Elephant Person art.

This last one, I will spoiler, even though it's just the splash page of the end of the story:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hungry Jupiter looms large in the sky, its gravity well drawing Earth inexorably in.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
PAIGE LIKES SHOPPING!
PETER LIKES SPORTS!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

This Kitty Corner is referencing the Doughboys podcast, whose co-host Nick Wiger has a nagging hatred for modern-day Heathcliffe. It accurately describes the behaviour of the other host's cat during one episode.
Now I go back 30 pages in an attempt to catch up.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

So I guess that lady really was trying to gently caress that tiger.

Oh, ouch. I felt that one.

This comic is so good.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Song in the beginning: Teijo Joutsela ja Humppa-Veikot - Silmät tummat kuin yö. This is humppa-music originally from 1930s.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul, more amazing levels of detail in the art. Look at that the frame of that barber chair. Look at the reflections on the floor. I have no idea what those other items of barbershop furniture are called, but I assume they're accurate representations.

Caspar's face is flushed because his barber put a steamy hot towel on it.

You really get a good look at the line work in these bigger ones. It's quite good.

Julet Esqu posted:

This comic is so good.
:lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

I like that the Flash Gordon 60s future is just the 60s but with robots and lasers.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Howard Beale posted:

The updates about Blackie are really intriguing because I remember Frank King did that for ages in Gasoline Alley during a storyline where Skeezix was kidnapped. Someone spotted the kid in Louisiana and Alabama! Police report false lead in Indiana! I think it adds something neat to the serial format and most likely drew in kids, too. I'm just not sure when the Gasoline Alley storyline ran so I don't know which strip predated which here, or if they were both working after someone else.

I like the Ella Cinders version of this a lot better, because interesting stuff is also happening on-panel--as I recall, most of the actual strips during that Gasoline Alley storyline were "Walt paces around saying 'gosh I sure hope Skeezix is okay, where could he be'", for several weeks.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Song in the beginning: Teijo Joutsela ja Humppa-Veikot - Silmät tummat kuin yö. This is humppa-music originally from 1930s.

I didn't gaf about this comic when it first started being posted and now I'm :f5:ing like mad.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Do you idiots want poltergeists? Because that's how you get poltergeists.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

Edge of Anticlimax

In case you ever wanted to know what expression a cockblocked tiger would have, there you go.

Embarrassed, the tiger stands up on its hind legs and walks backwards into the bushes, imitating human sounds

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

the Zero Mostel - looking guy along with the name on the door is a nice touch

It's hosed up how dad's reaction to this entire situation seems to be "Whew, glad I didn't have to do any icky "listening" or "parenting" this time!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/NoobtheLoser/status/1302686285153349633?s=20

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sunday!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders CAN YOU BEAT IT?

Zorro

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders CAN YOU BEAT IT?

Remember, kids, the moral of the story is to always go with the stranger and be sure not to tell a soul.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 1/31/54

Mopsy 2/15/43

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I wasn't originally into Conan, but I've started getting into it. Cool strip.

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, this rules. I love the kind alien elephant god.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I've really been enjoying posting it too.

Johnny Aztec posted:

If you enjoy the Conan strips, I HIGHLY recommend the Dark Horse series.
Came out uh well, Volume 3, which contains the Elephant Tower story, came out in 2006.
I currently have 10 volumes. I haven't picked one up in a long time, I should see where they are at now.

I took some lovely iPhone pictures of a few pages that we've seen in the strips, to show off the Elephant Person art.

This last one, I will spoiler, even though it's just the splash page of the end of the story:

drat, that's really neat!

I honestly thought this was an edit, I did not expect them to make that direct a reference in a printed strip.

Conan the Barbarian Dec. 15th- 21st, 1980

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

I'm a sucker for references and that door made me smile.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It's too late for her. She's fully indoctrinated into the Cult of Worth.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

catlord posted:

Conan the Barbarian Dec. 15th- 21st, 1980

Conan totally forgot the exact words Yag-Kosha said to say, but he's doing his best.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (September 9, 1973)

And Now, The Startling Conclusion Of The Semiannual Funky Winkerbean/Crankshaft Crossover!

"So when are we gonna tell grandma that we almost got killed?" "The day after her funeral."

Crankshaft

Another day where 9 Chickweed Lane will have to make its own words.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

"Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom", by Ted Chiang (2019).

EasyEW posted:

"She'll masturbate on your pianos until you give us a discount" feels kind of like extortion.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

EasyEW posted:

This verges on self-parody, which makes it similarly verge on good.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Ah, the Sunday funnies!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Pig could probably lump losing healthcare in with losing his job, which would leave Thursday open for either ecological collapse or the rise of authoritarian nationalism worldwide.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did. (June 23, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (August 31, 1917)

Ten year old?

Hitz and Mrs. (May 16, 1923)

Dark Laughter (April 18, 1936, click for big)

“Now, now, it ain’t nice to shoot at poor Uncle Bootsie. Next thing you’ll be smokin’ cigarettes.”

They'll Do It Every Time (February 26, 1941)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (November 17, 1945)

“Wear your pinafore, Sis … I promised Terry you’d make him some gingerbread tonight. This is your chance to show him what’s in a name.”

Dinky Fellas (September 1, 1964)

https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/encyclopedia/congress-racial-equality-core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

TDIET, as always, is sadly relevant.