Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A pub that was more food than alcohol told me they couldn't do Irish coffee or boozy hot chocolate because they weren't on the menu.

They were happy to bring us mochas and shots of Bailey's on the side, and we managed the arduous task of mixing them ourselves.

I wouldn't have minded but after the food they served, you really did need something to wash the taste away.

E: 26 is the number of pounds Annunziata Rees-Mogg believes a tin of spaghetti hoops costs in the Co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Goldskull posted:

'Red wine & coke', although I've met a few people who'll drink that now, back in the 90s I thought they were taking the piss.

Calimotxo is pretty tasty, if a bit on the sweet side

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

I asked the Irish girlfriend “have you ever heard of Guinness and blackcurrant” and she looked at me as if I’d asked had she ever heard of chips, so I guess it’s pretty popular over

I assume there must be goths in Ireland so this checks out as a localised snakebite and black.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Someone ordered that when I was working in a pub. It’s a joke drink because it just foams up.

You have to knock the gas out of the lemonade first by giving it a good stir.

e: Source: Eight years bartending at a holiday camp/retirement caravan park for alcoholics from Stoke.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 6, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lady Demelza posted:

A pub that was more food than alcohol told me they couldn't do Irish coffee or boozy hot chocolate because they weren't on the menu.

They were happy to bring us mochas and shots of Bailey's on the side, and we managed the arduous task of mixing them ourselves.

The student union at Bournemouth university wouldn't serve snakebite and black, but they'd sell a half of lager, half of cider and a pint glass with a dash of black in. They reckoned it was due to having no cocktail licence but God knows if that was true.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I've worked with bartenders who refuse to serve snakebite because "It can kill people if they have a reaction". I always assumed it was an urban legend.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Lungboy posted:

The student union at Bournemouth university wouldn't serve snakebite and black, but they'd sell a half of lager, half of cider and a pint glass with a dash of black in. They reckoned it was due to having no cocktail licence but God knows if that was true.

Wetherspoons an/or Lloyd's (when it existed) used to do this. Same for a "turbo shandy" which was a half pint of lager and a smirnoff ice. You had to get two bottles and ask for a pint glass separately and they'd sometimes point blank refuse.

That poo poo got you wrecked.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My partner drinks Guinness and black and nobody has ever not known what that is when Ive ordered it

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lungboy posted:

It's such a perpetual rumour, but I have no idea where this concept of a 'cocktail licence' came about - was it ever a real thing? (There are two types of licence, Premises and Personal, which cover the location and the person who authorises sales - 'cocktail' isn't a thing but I've constantly heard about it.)

A cocktail is properly defined (3 or more liquids, not including water) - but the point of doing that is it exempts you from needing to follow 'sold in 25/35ml measures or multiples thereof'.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Having worked and run in student pubs for years any excuse to not serve drinks that lead to purple sick everywhere is a good one

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lungboy posted:

This was a thing when I last worked a bar 24 years ago, so it's definitely a rumour with legs. The snakebite and black crew at that bar tipped me 5 quid every couple of rounds because I was the only person who'd serve it.

e: I also recall a friend at sixth form who drank Stella + Scrumpy Jack snakebites. After a few minutes it would form flakes like a snow globe

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I know that (according to bartenders) there's apparently some thing where they're not allowed to serve more than a certain amount of alcohol in a single glass, unless it's a cocktail, so maybe there is some special licensing thing?

That's how I came to invent my signature cocktail, the Irish Scotch. It's a double scotch with another double scotch mixed in

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Back garden drinking with smoked chicken wings basically is the best thing.

E: I shared some Camrath fudge with my friends and they're all wanting to buy fudge now. Woo.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Red Oktober posted:

It's such a perpetual rumour, but I have no idea where this concept of a 'cocktail licence' came about - was it ever a real thing? (There are two types of licence, Premises and Personal, which cover the location and the person who authorises sales - 'cocktail' isn't a thing but I've constantly heard about it.)

A cocktail is properly defined (3 or more liquids, not including water) - but the point of doing that is it exempts you from needing to follow 'sold in 25/35ml measures or multiples thereof'.

Yeah this. There's no legal reason not to serve them unless you consider the 'responsible drinking ' aspect of the licence

That's the bit that means no I'm not going to serve you 5 jagerbombs just to yourself

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Borrovan posted:

I know that (according to bartenders) there's apparently some thing where they're not allowed to serve more than a certain amount of alcohol in a single glass, unless it's a cocktail, so maybe there is some special licensing thing?

That's how I came to invent my signature cocktail, the Irish Scotch. It's a double scotch with another double scotch mixed in

It's the same again, it's one of these rumours which float around, but there's no actual rule about it in the Act. The bar they're at may have it as a policy, but there's nothing in legislation.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Plymouth University used to have a snakebite night with cheap pints and multiple variants, it was weird going from having to be all nefarious about it to having it celebrated.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lady Demelza posted:

I wouldn't have minded but after the food they served, you really did need something to wash the taste away.

E: 26 is the number of pounds Annunziata Rees-Mogg believes a tin of spaghetti hoops costs in the Co-op.

When you see what she does to chicken she cooks you'd be desperate for the hoops

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Goldskull posted:

'Red wine & coke', although I've met a few people who'll drink that now, back in the 90s I thought they were taking the piss.

I will drink this all day. Beer (pilsner or something like that) and coke is good too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Borrovan posted:

Its called irresponsible drinking and covers stuff like not having silly amounts in one drink, not having promotions that encourage said irresponsibility and then silly stuff like not dispensing directly into a customer's mouth

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Skarsnik posted:

Its called irresponsible drinking and covers stuff like not having silly amounts in one drink, not having promotions that encourage said irresponsibility and then silly stuff like not dispensing directly into a customer's mouth

Can I just drink straight from the little metal cylinders

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

The strangest thing about the Weights and Measures (Intoxicating Liquor) Order is that a spirit is only defined as gin, rum, vodka, or whisky for purposes of selling in measures, brandy and tequila could always be free poured.

Not sure why they did that. Probably the kind of people who relax with snifters of brandy at elite clubs getting upset at change.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Continuity RCP posted:

Can I just drink straight from the little metal cylinders

As long as the bartender isn't pouring it yes

The whole thing is really based on a licencing judgement call, the same way we are not allowed to serve drunk people

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

What's snakebite again? Uni was a while ago

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Communist Thoughts posted:

What's snakebite again?

Snakebite deez nuts

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Snakebite & Black belongs exclusively to the goths, and I will not see it reclaimed like this.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
someone I knew at uni would habitually drink Strongbow and OJ during the summer

disgusting, and then you add orange juice to it

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 6, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

What's snakebite again? Uni was a while ago

It's just lager poured on cider. Don't do it the other way around, because it will explode.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The responsible drinking thing is also the reason you'll never see red bull or jager publically acknowledging jagerbombs exist despite such a massive percentage of their on sales being from them

Its why you see jager trying to push it as a 'long' drink now and again, entirely unsuccessfully

I once had a jager rep tell me entirely straight faced that a 'jager and tonic' was a super popular drink in her circle of friends :gonk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Maybe she meant traditional tonic that is bitter as gently caress due to all the herbal flavourings

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

God loving drat I loved jagerbombs. Imo the sweet spot was the ice cold red bull but slightly warmer jager. Great medicine

There was a trendy pub that did them for 1.50 and had a dance floor

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

At one point at the peak of the bomb craze there were bar staff in yates's in Swansea who's entire job all night was just opening cans of redbull

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who on earth has a shot of Jager and thinks "if only that flavour could last 10 times as long"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skarsnik posted:

At one point at the peak of the bomb craze there were bar staff in yates's in Swansea who's entire job all night was just opening cans of redbull
Wouldn't you just put it on the soda gun at that point?

Or weren't there any "is pepsi ok?" style red bull concentrates then?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
Ł

I don't drink that much anymore but in my teens and twenties I did heavily, and jager, while nice ( I like aniseed) is the devil's brew and the only booze to make me fully black out and not remember poo poo the next day

I also miss the fright night goth/student bars like the Ben crouch because they had a list of signature cocktails called the seven deadly sins that were supposed to be served in highball glasses but they did by the pint, sloth was just a pint of Baileys, cream, kaluha and chocolate sauce, you could drink like 2 before puking a white puddle

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 6, 2020

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guavanaut posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no concentrates, I've only ever seen Red Bull come in cans.

On a train ride from Glasgow to Derby via Preston, me and two friends, around 18 years old, finished off a 1L of Jager between us.

Don't do that. I can't even remember what Preston looks like.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure there are now, could be wrong though

Red bull branding is so all about the can I doubt they'd let it be a thing. We get poo poo off them if we're not handing over the (open and slightly poured) can to the customer when its used as a mixer

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The ropey student club of choice when I was in Chester used to set up jagerbomb trains with the shots domino-ing along the bar into the red bull and everything. My birthday was during freshers week and I did 18 of them on a dare and then spent the rest of the night looking like homer on his chilli vision quest

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure there's a "it is definitely not Red Bull but the name strongly implies" it brand that does bag in box concentrates, I've seen bars soda gun jaegerbombs before. (Also heard stories about people doing shots of the syrup which is a terrible idea.)

Not official red bull in the same way that pubs always seem to have pepsi on the gun not coke.

e: Something like this.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure there's a "it is definitely not Red Bull but the name strongly implies" it brand that does bag in box concentrates, I've seen bars soda gun jaegerbombs before. (Also heard stories about people doing shots of the syrup which is a terrible idea.)

Not official red bull in the same way that pubs always seem to have pepsi on the gun not coke.

e: Something like this.

Mmm delicious

I've only ever worked for big pubco's who get obscene amounts from red bull to use their product over the cheaper alternatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I used to go to a student pub called the Admiral who had a signature drink also called the Admiral, which was just a vodka red bull but with 5 shots of vodka and served in a pint glass with loads of ice