Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

cheetah7071 posted:

I intentionally left the wording on connected world a bit fuzzy. Like, Super Metroid sort of has levels, depending on how you define levels.
I mean, even genre originator SotN has levels, delineated by the CD hallways and identified by name cards the first time you enter them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I can't fight the consensus on the word Metroidvania but I really think that Super Metroid and SotN are different enough that one word to describe both of them is too broad. I'm not even a huge fan of Metroid games and simply unlocking new power-ups that secondarily function as keys isn't what I really like about Metroidvania games. One thing I really like is when the powerups don't just let you open new areas, but actually let you traverse the map in a different way. Sure you can turn into a bat and get to a high-up hallway you couldn't before, but also you can turn into a bat and just completely bypass an area that used to take some effort. By the end of the game the map is your plaything because of all the options you have. Just "oh I can shoot this particular type of door to open it now" isn't a big draw for me, but that's basically what qualifies as a Metroidvania. So just knowing that a game is a Metroidvania isn't enough to tell me about how it actually plays and how progression works.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

John Murdoch posted:

I am the exact opposite and regularly get annoyed because the overwhelming majority of metroidvanias take after Castlevania more than Metroid.

Really? I'm of the opposite opinion. It feels there's more games (especially Indie ones) are closer to the Metroid-side than the vania-side.

Titles like Hollow Knight and Blasphemous have a limited number of weapons and abilities that you upgrade. Which is like the Metroid games.

Where the later Castlevanias had a lot of different weapon types to choose from and abilities to use and upgrade.

I feel only Koji Igarashi's own Bloodstained feels like a proper Metroidvania-style Castlevania.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In the realm of forms all "items" are merely conceptual objects instantiated as a given set of principles. It makes no difference whether they are encoded in the rules of the game or they are encoded in my mind. I upgrade my perception rather than ticking off a variable in the game code, it works the same way

In that case, Outer Wilds is a metroidvania too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ymgve posted:

:hmmyes:

Possibly one of the best

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

in the pinball thread we're holding a league

for your entertainment, I present to you a demonstration of total failure in two acts

Ciaphas posted:

From my quarantourney game, but trust me y'all want to see this tragedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqkPYf5-8zk
whereupon I was one-upped

TheMcD posted:

If you liked that, you'll love my game in that same group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofryFi7LABw

All failure, all the time. Truly special.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the issue is, of course, metroidvania is meant to describe a specific feel and not a discrete set of things

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pizza is a metroidvania

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

it most definitely is

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Chev posted:

As mentioned in previous chat threads, historically the Metroidvania genre didn't even include Metroid in the first place, it's a late addition after years of broadening the definition.

this is absolutely not true lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If the roguelike definition was codified by the community in Berlin, where will the Metroidvania decision be handed down

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If the roguelike definition was codified by the community in Berlin, where will the Metroidvania decision be handed down

Right here you're reading it

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the cheetah metroidvania accords of 2020 state that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Volte posted:

One thing I really like is when the powerups don't just let you open new areas, but actually let you traverse the map in a different way. Sure you can turn into a bat and get to a high-up hallway you couldn't before, but also you can turn into a bat and just completely bypass an area that used to take some effort. By the end of the game the map is your plaything because of all the options you have. Just "oh I can shoot this particular type of door to open it now" isn't a big draw for me, but that's basically what qualifies as a Metroidvania. So just knowing that a game is a Metroidvania isn't enough to tell me about how it actually plays and how progression works.

insane to think about the upgrades in super metroid and say they dont allow you to traverse the map in a different way. the door related upgrades are extremely minor, its just missile, super missile and powerbomb. maybe the wave beam. the movement options you unlock are more significant and also the interactions of them and the way the map is designed around them is specifically why its been such a popular speedrun game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
are immersive sims a subgenre of metroidvanias or is it the other way around

May 8, 2006

a game is an immserive sim if it has both audio logs and the ability to read other people's emails/diaries

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Toki Tori 2 is one of my favorite metroidvania games

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Khanstant posted:

are immersive sims a subgenre of metroidvanias or is it the other way around

Immersive sim is the only common genre descriptor that I think is just plain wrong. Euro Truck Driver is an immersive sim, Prey is just an exploration FPS.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not kidding either, Toki Tori 2 is unironically a good game and also a good metroidvania game.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Stux posted:

insane to think about the upgrades in super metroid and say they dont allow you to traverse the map in a different way. the door related upgrades are extremely minor, its just missile, super missile and powerbomb. maybe the wave beam. the movement options you unlock are more significant and also the interactions of them and the way the map is designed around them is specifically why its been such a popular speedrun game.

i didnt read that as that guy talking about super metroid or even any metroid game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Relax Or DIE posted:

a game is an immserive sim if it has both audio logs and the ability to read other people's emails/diaries

so fallout

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sharrrk posted:

i didnt read that as that guy talking about super metroid or even any metroid game

its directly contrasting a sotn upgrade where you turn into a bat with the metroid series specific system of different colored doors that are opened by different weapons

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/332610/Mystik_Belle/

Mystik Belle is another metroidvania title that imo is very underrated and also is interesting since it combines metroidvania style progression with an adventure game-style puzzle system where you need to find items and balance your inventory so solve puzzles until you gain new powers to let you move around better.

May 8, 2006

yep

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Stux posted:

its directly contrasting a sotn upgrade where you turn into a bat with the metroid series specific system of different colored doors that are opened by different weapons

they probably just like sotn and were citing a nonspecific example from lazier attempts at the genre

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i also like sotn

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

cheetah7071 posted:

You're a metroidvania if:

-You have a connected world, rather than distinct levels
-There are a number of passageways in the world which can't be used until after obtaining an item elsewhere in the world
-Many or all of the items used to unlock passageways have other uses (i.e., they're powerups, not keys)
-The world is designed in such a way that the player is not shown where the locks and items are; exploration is required to find both the powerups and the places where you use them

Please post your favorite game which isn't generally thought of as a metroidvania but which technically fits the definitions

This first requirement is too specific; Order of Ecclesia and Portrait of Ruin are both definitely metroidvanias, but not a connected world. I'd replace it with "few regions are 100% complete-able with only the tools required to get there and contained therein," the no dungeons rule. Few because the last unlock upgrade makes none impossible.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the 3d fallouts are definitely related to immsims, especially NV. but the depth of interactivity is one of the defining characteristics of immsims, in my mind, which the fallouts lack (if only because of their scale).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

the 3d fallouts are definitely related to immsims, especially NV. but the depth of interactivity is one of the defining characteristics of immsims, in my mind, which the fallouts lack (if only because of their scale).

I think the only game I've played that is solidly an immersive sim is Prey and I definitely didn't feel like I had a depth of interaction

There were a lot of places where there were multiple paths you could take depending on what your character's strengths were so I guess that's what you mean? I definitely haven't played any of the classic, genre-defining ones though

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unreal_One posted:

Immersive sim is the only common genre descriptor that I think is just plain wrong. Euro Truck Driver is an immersive sim, Prey is just an exploration FPS.

MOBA is so generic it could apply to pretty much any competitive online game so I think that goes in the same bucket.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Relax Or DIE posted:

needs an 0451 somewhere

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

To feel "fully immersive" I think an ImmSim needs to allow you to solve problems by using properties of the gameworld for emergent solutions. The Bethesda Fallout games don't really let you do this

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To feel "fully immersive" I think an ImmSim needs to allow you to solve problems by using properties of the gameworld for emergent solutions. The Bethesda Fallout games don't really let you do this

Stealing from people by placing a bucket over their head so they can't see you, or putting items into a bucket and dragging away the bucket so you can steal out of sight of the owner

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I think the only game I've played that is solidly an immersive sim is Prey and I definitely didn't feel like I had a depth of interaction

There were a lot of places where there were multiple paths you could take depending on what your character's strengths were so I guess that's what you mean? I definitely haven't played any of the classic, genre-defining ones though

you have a lot of tools to interact with the world and a world that's reactive to them. an example that encapsulates this to me is throwing tier 1 strength objects to move heavier objects, getting around the skill requirements.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Stux posted:

I've never even played more than an hour of Super Metroid, but it's on my list. I'm more talking about games where "there's a special kind of goop covering some of the doors and your Upgraded Fire Attack can also destroy that so you can progress" are now considered Metroidvania.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vent crawlers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Vent crawlers

that's like 50% of video games in general

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

MOBA is so generic it could apply to pretty much any competitive online game so I think that goes in the same bucket.

genre names arent decided by what the specific words actually mean its just casual use, so a moba is a moba because everyone calls them mobas. it doesnt matter what the words that make up moba would mean if read literally. its like pointing out there are plenty of non-independent bands that play indie rock. the genre name stuck and so thats what the genre is named.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

die hard immersive sim when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Confusing good level design for emergent gameplay