Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

relatedly, this year was awful for udfa/bubble guys

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1302648601487847424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I wonder if the Steelers would've made the playoffs if they kept Dobbs and started him over Rudolph/Hodges. If not, then they basically got a free fifth from Jacksonville.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/MikeTanier/status/1302664662673227776

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Counterpoint: time to buy stock in the Chosen One

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Name a more iconic duo than anime avatar and dismissing a young prospect

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Doltos posted:

Name a more iconic duo than anime avatar and dismissing a young prospect

having an anime avatar and being Very interested in young prospects

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that does seem to be Rosens career trajectory.

It’s not really his fault but it rarely is

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

On the flipside if Josh Rosen has anything TB is a good place to find out.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

a patagonian cavy posted:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

lmao

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
They're not young prospects, they're very clearly in the adolescent stage of their careers! There's a difference!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Barudak posted:

Its like doing the "guess the amount of jellybeans in a jar" game but with turds.

My "guess the amount of turds in the jelly bean jar" sign has people asking a lot of questions answered by my sign.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

200k vs whatever league minimum is seems like a wash when he's already had his big rookie bonus. and you can either sit next to tom brady and arians at practice or the browns. sure he can get hurt and be out of the league but this seems like a good gamble for rosen.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Plus he gets to keep the money anyway hed otherwise be losing in offset language.

I’m just so stumped on the Miami tryout being like 2-3 games. Just stupid

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:drat:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1302685764178841601?s=19

The anti-Iverson

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sounds like a sweet gig, because when has Wentz ever missed games?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I really wish dude would just take a QB coach position already. He already did it unofficially with the Jets and hell even with the Browns (JFF credits McCown for that one good stretch he had). Just take the drat job and stop getting hit old man.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hasn’t McCown made enough money in his career to not have to spend the effort to stay in NFL shape for just 12k a week?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I really wish dude would just take a QB coach position already. He already did it unofficially with the Jets and hell even with the Browns (JFF credits McCown for that one good stretch he had). Just take the drat job and stop getting hit old man.

I think being a backup or practice squad guy may pay more (And potentially have better hours?) than being a position coach. And if last season is any indication, I think McCown also genuinely wants to keep doing what he can, and potentially play if needed.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
get hyped bears fans
https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1302691806065364992

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

fartknocker posted:

I think being a backup or practice squad guy may pay more (And potentially have better hours?) than being a position coach. And if last season is any indication, I think McCown also genuinely wants to keep doing what he can, and potentially play if needed.

Practice squad is like 12k a week for 16 weeks. Position coaches from a quick googling get 300-400k a year and aren't hit by large men. I get he really wants to compete I just like him enough that I don't want to see him get wailed on by large men half his age.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Biscuits is back.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Practice squad is like 12k a week for 16 weeks. Position coaches from a quick googling get 300-400k a year and aren't hit by large men. I get he really wants to compete I just like him enough that I don't want to see him get wailed on by large men half his age.

Ah, I forgot the practice squad guys only get paid during the season, not like normal player contracts. I think it was McCown last year or before where it was pointed out he was making more as a backup/third QB somewhere than he’d get as a position coach even though he was filling that role too.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/HoggNFL/status/1302510377855528968
???????????????????????

edit: he had regular gray hair like a week ago on hard knocks!!!

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 6, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Loomis may have failed this time, but damned if he didn't try.

https://www.nfl.com/news/inside-wild-backstory-behind-saints-last-ditch-effort-to-sign-jadeveon-clowney

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1302688128843554817

Making a final push late Saturday to land star pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney, the Saints got creative, attempting to pull off a move believed to be the first of its kind in NFL history – but couldn't get final clearance from the league.

The Saints were working with another team towards a unique sign-and-trade deal that would've maneuvered around salary cap constraints to bring the free-agent Clowney to New Orleans. But talks fell apart over the NFL's willingness to approve such a deal, and Clowney wound up agreeing to terms with the Tennessee Titans on a one-year deal late Saturday night.

According to sources informed of the talks, the Saints didn't feel they could compete financially with the Titans' offer – $12 million, plus $3 million in incentives – given budgetary reasons. So, they approached another team to find a workaround. (Sources didn't confirm the other team, which hereafter is referred to as "Team X", but it is believed to be the Cleveland Browns, who have ample cap space and a front office known for having a propensity for creativity, most memorably on display in their 2016 trade for quarterback Brock Osweiler.)

The sides discussed parameters of a deal in which Team X would've signed Clowney to a one-year, $15 million contract and paid him a $5 million signing bonus. Then, Team X would've immediately traded Clowney to the Saints, who would've sent Team X a second-round draft pick, as well as a player to take additional salary off New Orleans' books. The Saints would've paid Clowney's remaining $10 million salary.

Just one problem: The teams got word late Saturday the NFL was unlikely to approve such a deal.

Other teams have, in essence, paid cash for picks in the past, including the Browns, who agreed to take on Osweiler's $16 million guaranteed salary in a deal that netted them a second-round draft pick. Last year, the Dolphins paid Ryan Tannehill a $5 million signing bonus on a restructured contract to send him to the Titans. And Clowney himself received a $7 million signing bonus last August from the Texans to help complete a trade to Seattle.

But several executives from different NFL teams said they couldn't recall any other team executing such a deal involving a free agent who was literally only signed to trade him. One exec summed up the interpretation of the league's bylaws as: "Fundamentally, you can't trade cash."

The Saints have long been willing to convert large base salaries to signing bonuses or add voidable years to contracts to free up short-term cap space. But there is great uncertainty about the 2021 salary cap, given a projected multibillion-dollar revenue shortfall related to COVID-19 that could cause it to drop from $198.2 million per club in 2020 to as little as $175 million. Entering this weekend's cuts, the Saints had over $260 million in cap commitments for 2021, according to NFL Players Association records.

The Saints continued to try to rework their offer late into Saturday night, but without help, they couldn't match the Titans' offer. And after 5½ months on the free-agent market, Clowney decided to head to Tennessee instead.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hot. The Saints definitely know is their last year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/HoggNFL/status/1302510377855528968
???????????????????????

edit: he had regular gray hair like a week ago on hard knocks!!!

Will the real Brett Favre please stand up?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't want to see the Saints succeed but that wouldn't been really cool to see. Have any other sports done something like that? The NBA does three way trades a bunch but I don't think they've done another team signs a player for a second team?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't want to see the Saints succeed but that wouldn't been really cool to see. Have any other sports done something like that? The NBA does three way trades a bunch but I don't think they've done another team signs a player for a second team?

It's called a sign-and-trade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign-and-trade_deal

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The description there says it's for players already on the team that the team thinks will leave, not for active free agents that the team isn't considering signing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

would the real brett farve please stand up.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Oh h*ll yeah, get ready for another off-season of Saints fans complaining that the league screwed them when they get knocked out of the playoffs.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

That seems like a lot to go through to get 2020 Jadaveon Clowney

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I hate the saints

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

QB $200
Offense $150
Defense $800
Taysom Hill $3,600
Special Teams $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Mega64 posted:

I wonder if the Steelers would've made the playoffs if they kept Dobbs and started him over Rudolph/Hodges. If not, then they basically got a free fifth from Jacksonville.

Dobbs is only better than Duck Hodges insofar as he has some playmaking ability with his legs. Both are noodle-armed

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sharknado slashfic posted:

That seems like a lot to go through to get 2020 Jadaveon Clowney

He's only 27 years old

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Meanwhile Baltimore was just not that into him

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1302600809700622336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito