Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Every pub in Germany has some locally produced jager-alike that they'll break out if you ask them for some decent shots, ice cold, no loving red bull, way nicer than the real thing

But I've said it before, there is no bad alcohol, only less good. I miss tesco value "scottish style" bag whisky

e: 27 is significantly less than the number of drinks I've had this weekend, you guys need to stop enabling me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skarsnik posted:

I've only ever worked for big pubco's who get obscene amounts from red bull to use their product over the cheaper alternatives
That'd probably be it, this was at a basement bar with a smallbusinessperson owner who was obsessive about saving money and thought that things like "have new furniture, so that people will enjoy sitting there more and so you get more income" was anti-business propaganda.

e: ^^^ It had the ingredients on it! Water, grain alcohol, colouring (brown).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pound_Coin posted:

I also miss the fright night goth/student bars like the Ben crouch because they had a list of signature cocktails called the seven deadly sins that were supposed to be served in highball glasses but they did by the pint, sloth was just a pint of Baileys, cream, kaluha and chocolate sauce, you could drink like 2 before puking a white puddle

Come to Aberdeen when the COVID poo poo is over, Slains Castle will probably still be there.

Borrovan - White Lightning.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Skarsnik posted:

Its called irresponsible drinking and covers stuff like not having silly amounts in one drink, not having promotions that encourage said irresponsibility and then silly stuff like not dispensing directly into a customer's mouth

Huh, so the Valentino Rossi* wouldn't fly in the UK. Interesting.

* customer dons open-faced motorcycle helmet, leans back on the bar, various liquors are poured into their open mouth, mouth closes, head banged against the bar repeatedly to mix, swallow

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

Come to Aberdeen when the COVID poo poo is over, Slains Castle will probably still be there.

Borrovan - White Lightning.

Slains is one of the few things I miss about Aberdeen.

Is the Illicit Still still around?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jedit posted:

White Lightning.
We were all 16 once :colbert:

Just less good than the grown-up poo poo

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Bobstar posted:

* customer dons open-faced motorcycle helmet, leans back on the bar, various liquors are poured into their open mouth, mouth closes, head banged against the bar repeatedly to mix, swallow

I'm sorry, THE gently caress?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Back in my local in rural Wales, we had an old lad who used to drink the drip trays at the end of the night. It was also the kind of pub that would have a lock-in on most days, because the landlord didn't want to drink alone. It was a fun place though. Any time a drag queen would be passing through the landlord would always ask them to perform, which was a hell of an experience in a pub with a max occupancy of 20, and was full of flat caps clapping and cheering along to "I am what I am". I think it's a Marstons gastropub now :smith:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobstar posted:

not in a pub/bar which is open to the public but I wouldn't be surprised to see poo poo like this happening in uni/halls bars

IME universities are more than happy to pay lip service towards responsible drinking and then look the other way when it comes to drinking a dirty pint out of an old wellington boot on your birthday

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Camrath posted:

Slains is one of the few things I miss about Aberdeen.

Is the Illicit Still still around?

Yeah, the Still is still there. The Tilted Wig renamed itself the Wig a few years ago, though, showing an utter disregard for both history and humour. And the Grill has been making me laugh out loud with the outdoor beer tent they've put up during COVID.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Back in my local in rural Wales, we had an old lad who used to drink the drip trays at the end of the night.
Oh Jesus. Reminds me of my brother telling me about working as a glass collector in our local lovely nightclub. Someone thought they were clever by leaning over the bar and scooping a glass into the slops sink and running off, the slops sink which was currently blocked because of a poo poo someone did into a pint glass.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it fudge time again yet? I bought three to try and now I have no fudge at all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh Jesus. Reminds me of my brother telling me about working as a glass collector in our local lovely nightclub. Someone thought they were clever by leaning over the bar and scooping a glass into the slops sink and running off, the slops sink which was currently blocked because of a poo poo someone did into a pint glass.
:stonk:
Weirdest pub story along those lines was a mate who was cleaning the toilets at the end of the night and found a beer bottle in the toilet with a perfect poo poo in it.

No idea how that happened.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Student pub near me had (maybe still has?) a £1 cocktail shot menu. It's arranged alphabetically and helpfully comes with illustrations for people who foolishly accept the challenge to drink the alphabet, lose the power of speech at around H, and have no recollection of anything past S.

As I get older I've also noticed a weird shoulder ache from drinking alcohol, especially on an empty stomach. Dr Google tells me it's either cancer or not.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

You can absolutely get Coke on the soda gun but the syrup is so absurdly more expensive than Pepsi that the only places who tend to do it are ones who are bound to specific brewery/distribution agreements.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/legalhackette/status/1302541879158992896?s=19

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

because of the backlog which was 100% caused entirely by corona and not, say, the deliberate and systematic defunding of the court system by the Tories

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Camraaaath.

The fudge is gone.

My friends ate it all.

When is fudge time again?

Help =(

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This thread stands for the redistribution of the fudge from the few to the many.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fudge time will commence tomorrow- watch this space or the Facebook page for the new flavours :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Camrath posted:

Fudge time will commence tomorrow- watch this space or the Facebook page for the new flavours :)
Link your facebook page and I'll give it a share.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

justcola posted:

I was talking to someone today and started talking about the song 'Hitler's only got one ball' - she was German and hadn't heard it, but I assumed most people in Britain were familiar with it. Is this still the case or has it faded from schools by now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1DWJQkOJew

Purple drinks chat: It was pernod and black when I was a student but maybe that's just the people I hung around with. Either way, yes. Purple vom.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Snakebite & Black belongs exclusively to the goths, and I will not see it reclaimed like this.

I used to drink snakebite (no black) when I was underage in a goth pub on the basis that nobody would suspect me of being underage for ordering something that rank as it was 50/50 carling and strongbow and tasted like piss.

I don't think they cared to be honest and assumed I was just a very nerdy looking university student. Plus back then there was none of this challenge 21 stuff so if you could hold the bouncers eye and straight face your dodgy fake ID you were fine. Good times I tell you.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Pilchenstein posted:

Link your facebook page and I'll give it a share.

Fb.me/Fudjit :)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
A bloke I knew years ago worked in a Thai restaurant in Edinburgh and he once mentioned a man and woman who paid corkage for two big bottles of WKD with their dinner

I didn't ask if they had the same or different colours and the question haunts me to this day :iiam:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
All this snakebite and black talk just suddenly walloped me back to Keele uni in the late 80s. :psyduck: It'll be Crucial Brew next...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

There was a Yates's in Bristol that sold "WKD40" which is a) a brilliant name and b) 40% irn bru. The place was a poo poo hole (the pub, not Bristol) but that nearly redeemed it. I never saw it anywhere else.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what’s wkd

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vodka mixed with soft drinks I think. Comes pre bottled.

Or uh "vodka" i guess given it's just alcopop.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I used to drink snakebite (no black) when I was underage in a goth pub on the basis that nobody would suspect me of being underage for ordering something that rank as it was 50/50 carling and strongbow and tasted like piss.

I don't think they cared to be honest and assumed I was just a very nerdy looking university student. Plus back then there was none of this challenge 21 stuff so if you could hold the bouncers eye and straight face your dodgy fake ID you were fine. Good times I tell you.

I recall being extremely disappointed on my 18th birthday that nobody checked my actual real ID at the pubs or club I'd been going to the past couple years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bump_fn posted:

what’s wkd

An alcopop. Like Smirnoff Ice. Sort of thing that seems to have gone out of fashion these days

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Goldskull posted:

How did that work out for them? It'd just turn into riot foam, especially if the lemonades from a mixers gun.

I had some woman ask me for a mixture of Guinness & coke in a half glass and I just told her to order something else. Her answer was 'but I drink it all the time in my local!' I somehow doubt that. 'JD & coke?' There you go!

Other stupid drink orders from throughout the years:
'Double Jagermeisters!'
'Red wine & coke', although I've met a few people who'll drink that now, back in the 90s I thought they were taking the piss.
'A shot of Angostura bitters'. No mixer, no chaser. Nope.
'What soft drinks do you have?' (a list of standard soft drinks is reeled off) '2 pints Raspberry juice!'
'A baby Guinness' (gets served a half Guinness) 'What is this?' What did you actually want? 'It's a cocktail shot you prick!' Get out.

Don't start me on people in Yorkshire asking for a pint of 'Mickey Mouse'. This could be anything from a bitter/mild mix, a mix of 2 different bitters, half bitter/half Guinness to half lager/half bitter and it was stupid.

One of my mates invented a "cocktail" of Port and Red Bull. Actually surprisingly nice but you don't want more than one.

Also here in Canada I asked for a shandy, had to explain that it was lager and lemonade half and half... only apparently "lemonade" in a bar context here means like, lemon bitters. It was not good. Not like, undrinkably bad though so we did drink it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I once mixed Baileys and soda water when I was very, very drunk and it made a sort of disgusting mousse which I believe I ate with my fingers :monocle:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
My favorite cocktail when I was young and stupid was a mix of Blue WKD and Port that was referred to as a 'Special Vimpto'.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
holy poo poo I completely forgot WKD blue was a thing

one of those and an orange Reef and a double vodka in a pint glass was the poo poo when I was 18

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Julio Cruz posted:

holy poo poo I completely forgot WKD blue was a thing

one of those and an orange Reef and a double vodka in a pint glass was the poo poo when I was 18

Reef and x vodkas in a pint was named the Hifi Special in our student house after one of my housemates got drunk and smashed another housemate's hifi up. Hooch and double vodka was my usual back when lemon hooch was bitter as gently caress, before they changed the recipe and made it really sweet.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

forkboy84 posted:

An alcopop. Like Smirnoff Ice. Sort of thing that seems to have gone out of fashion these days

Alcopops have gone out of fashion because everyone who drank them as a teen is now comfortably into their 30s and 40s, and have either opened up a cocktail bar or are regular customers at one. It's not a coincidence that sweet, brightly-coloured alcoholic drinks that don't really taste of alcohol are popular now.

Kids these days don't really drink so I'm not sure what the trend will be in 2040. Different tap waters from around the country?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Council pops! :jessay:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Our group’s DIY cocktail was a Purple Nightmare – a shot each of green, red, and blue Aftershock, topped up with a double vodka. That was always a definitive end to the happy hour at the Southampton club we’d go to where a shot and mixer was 50p and you’d come back with change from a tenner :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Blue WKD is still around, my ex a few years ago loved the stuff.