Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

making poo poo up about podcasts is smart from their perspective because you know no sane person would want to listen to 15+ hours of blowback to figure out that this person is bullshitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I have a masters degree in urban planning and it was the biggest waste of time in my life. my classmates were mostly a bunch of aspiring Matt y’s except for one outspoken pedophile who openly despised homeless people and loved gentrification

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

They did very explicitly bring up what they consider a solution is, and how it is distinct from that brand of yimby'ism, in this latest episode: large-scale public housing projects, as opposed to performatively wishing your neighborhood had higher buildings or being in support of a groverhaus on every lot in america.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
a good barometer is to ask how people who talk about how they hate NIMBYs feel about rent control, if they think it's good then they're probably on the up and up

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

i have very limited understanding of american zoning laws, but my impression of cth's objection to YIMBY-ism is that they interpret it as a sort of deregulatory impulse - politics should retreat and let the force of nature that is the market fix it

like, they don't seem to have opinions about zoning, they just think that the doctrines of the people with opinions about zoning are weird and creepy

it's not really politics retreating, in fact in many cities in particular the rapidly growing ones the yimby mayors and city council members are often literally developers themselves, if not just essentially bankrolled by them as a rubber stamp

breonna taylor's murder is a direct result of the merger of developer interest and city politics

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

isn't that what deregulation always is though

i mean more wrt the mattys of the world, who seem to think that there's some rationality bound into the market which makes it superior to just figuring poo poo out collectively

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I have a masters degree in urban planning and it was the biggest waste of time in my life. my classmates were mostly a bunch of aspiring Matt y’s except for one outspoken pedophile who openly despised homeless people and loved gentrification

outspoken pedophile?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

is YIMBY = you're in my back yard? I feel like I was absent for one day of class and all of a sudden everyone is using new terms. I felt like this for PMC when I thought it was for mercenaries still and not boomer mangers.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Ramadu posted:

is YIMBY = you're in my back yard? I feel like I was absent for one day of class and all of a sudden everyone is using new terms. I felt like this for PMC when I thought it was for mercenaries still and not boomer mangers.

yes in my backyard

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

isn't that what deregulation always is though

i mean more wrt the mattys of the world, who seem to think that there's some rationality bound into the market which makes it superior to just figuring poo poo out collectively

yeah that's part and parcel of their objection, the endless clone stamped stick frame urban midrises yimby types like matt yglesias nut themselves over as the answer to housing scarcity that virgil was bitching about is one of the main products of that process

if it were actual deregulation there'd be a variety of developers and approaches rather than a handful of super wealthy builders making identical buildings in every city

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ramadu posted:

YIMBY is old as gently caress. The new thing is WAP.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah that's part and parcel of their objection, the endless clone stamped stick frame urban midrises yimby types like matt yglesias nut themselves over as the answer to housing scarcity that virgil was bitching about is one of the main products of that process

if it were actual deregulation there'd be a variety of developers and approaches rather than a handful of super wealthy builders making identical buildings in every city

they also nut over contemporary conformism and the minimalist poo poo because it makes them think they're the height of expression when in fact they're as dull as they come

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

thotsky posted:

WAP is as old as time

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

thotsky posted:

wacky rear end podcast :pram:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gio posted:

WAP is as old as time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

natalie's cat-eye contacts are giving me anxiety

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

thotsky posted:

Wet rear end President, baby!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

natalie's cat-eye contacts are giving me anxiety

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

aw man

i always dreamed those schools would be full of people i could talk to about Christopher Alexander

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Love that it takes like 1 minute of scrolling down his timeline to confirm hes an insane pro-intervention liberal. Uighur post check, hong kong check, belarus check. Cant wait for his appointment to the state department in the Biden administration

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Gio posted:

outspoken pedophile?

outspoken about his right wing views, and also a pedophile. I worded that weirdly.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

outspoken about his right wing views, and also a pedophile. I worded that weirdly.

TBF, "outspoken about his right wing views" is saying "outspoken pedophile" with more words.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i think chapo got a couple things wrong about matty. i dont think he gives a drat about influencing important people in power to take seriously his dumb ideas. matty was born in the Hot Takes Factory. he’s a contrarian. he just wants to think he’s smarter than everyone else, which is why he comes up with extremely idiosyncratic ideas no one else is thinking of.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gio posted:

i think chapo got a couple things wrong about matty. i dont think he gives a drat about influencing important people in power to take seriously his dumb ideas. matty was born in the Hot Takes Factory. he’s a contrarian. he just wants to think he’s smarter than everyone else, which is why he comes up with extremely idiosyncratic ideas no one else is thinking of.

I don't think MattY wants to be influential in the sense of actually getting things done. But I do think that he desperately craves the "makes u think" sort of reaction from pundits and influential people.

Back in grad school I knew this polisci grad student who loved to be the "unconventional ideas" guy. He wrote a paper for a class about how the ideal way to prevent another 9/11 from happening was to give every passenger on a plane a billiard ball. Because you can't do anything with just 1 billiard ball, but 100 people throwing billiard balls at a hijacker with a knife will knock them out. It's the same energy I get from MattY.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

joepinetree posted:

Back in grad school I knew this polisci grad student who loved to be the "unconventional ideas" guy. He wrote a paper for a class about how the ideal way to prevent another 9/11 from happening was to give every passenger on a plane a billiard ball. Because you can't do anything with just 1 billiard ball, but 100 people throwing billiard balls at a hijacker with a knife will knock them out.

lmao that rules

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

joepinetree posted:

I don't think MattY wants to be influential in the sense of actually getting things done. But I do think that he desperately craves the "makes u think" sort of reaction from pundits and influential people.

Back in grad school I knew this polisci grad student who loved to be the "unconventional ideas" guy. He wrote a paper for a class about how the ideal way to prevent another 9/11 from happening was to give every passenger on a plane a billiard ball. Because you can't do anything with just 1 billiard ball, but 100 people throwing billiard balls at a hijacker with a knife will knock them out. It's the same energy I get from MattY.

lmfao

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

joepinetree posted:

hold on, let me edit this a bit

what if you gave everyone in the audience a shoe to throw at a presenter

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

What if the whole plane was made out of billiard balls

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

joepinetree posted:

You went to school with Meg McArdle?

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

GANDHITRON posted:

lmao that rules

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

jacking balls

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

label the new WTC 1, 2 and 4 and tell the terrorist to hit building 3

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

No, WTC 69 with 68 empty shells to act as decoys. They'll never get through all of them before we scrape off the corpses and rebuild.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

apparently mattyg found donoteat's podcast and doesn't like it but i don't know any more than that

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Drop Alice and replace her with Matt. A podcast for the bois.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

T-man posted:

Drop Alice and replace her with Matt. A podcast for the bois.

Alice and Matty G seem made for each other, I'd start listening to "Well There's Your Fucky Wucky" again if it was Alice + Matty G

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

resurrect Crossfire as Mattfire, with Matty and Cushbomb

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

joepinetree posted:

5'd

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Terminal autist posted:

Love that it takes like 1 minute of scrolling down his timeline to confirm hes an insane pro-intervention liberal. Uighur post check, hong kong check, belarus check. Cant wait for his appointment to the state department in the Biden administration

God could imagine living in a nation that tortured Iraqis to maintain a pretense of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
MattY and I have a differing opinion of federalism and the ability of HUD to build build public housing without respect to local zoning and it's blown up into a major subject of twitter housing discourse is the story