Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Gynovore posted:

They quite literally used one voice actor for each race/sex combination.

Even less than that. Nords/orcs, argonians/khajiit, and altmer/bosmer/dunmer had the same voices. I like to think the irritating elf voice is the canon reason for how back in Morrowind, even if you were a dunmer, the natives could tell you're an outlander and hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFxS1gitGFU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dareon posted:

I don't think I'll ever get over my least favorite scene in Robot Alchemic Drive. The main character has a giant robot land practically on him, crushing the convenience store he was about to enter and sending him flying. The dialogue box has him going "Aaaaaaaah!" The voice actor goes "Ah?"

Not a bug, just bad voice acting. The only thing even close to a bug that I can remember in that game was how it was easier to beat the last boss by running your little human pilot alongside it and throwing grenades at its feet than it was to actually get in a giant robot punch-up with it.

That's exactly how RAD should be, though.

Nob Ogasawara posted here on the forums about getting people in to do the voice acting for RAD (hell if I can find that post now) and how the guy who played the professor was ex-military and really wanted to talk about VCRs or something weird like that.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So this one is minor but it cracked me right up:

Ubisoft is pooping out a Battle Royale game called Hyperscape - and for reasons unknown I decided to give it a try today.
The game itself is... kinda dumb in a really generic uninspired way but that's mostly besides the point here.

The point is the automatically generated subtitles - which for some unknowable reason generate on player movement sounds, not just dialog (as expected).

Queue running around with your character grunting each time they jump and the subs popping up: "HUGH" "HUGH!" "..." "!"

Lots of hughs. With and without exclamation marks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Incidental dialogue and environmental audio of that sort is something that many games feature as part of their subtitles these days. It helps give the kind of feedback on e.g. taking damage or bumping into things that most people never consciously notice, but which makes a real difference when you're hearing-impaired.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My favourite kind of voice acting flub is when the scriptwriters screw up and it doesn't get caught in proofreading and the VAs just work with what they're given, like the guy in the dwarf city in Dragon Age 1 who talks about "scared stone", or whatever the gently caress this line from AC Brotherhood was supposed to be (jump to 1:14 bc I can't figure out how to do that automatically with the way SA handles youtube embeds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BHJJzGd7vQ&t=1m14s

vvv that's what I tried and it broke the embedding, shrug. Changed it to a link bc awful app automatically handles youtube links now apparently (but it's still not jumping to the right time so I just fuckin give up)

Pretty good has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Sep 7, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pretty good posted:

(jump to 1:14 bc I can't figure out how to do that automatically with the way SA handles youtube embeds)

You can add "&t=1m14s" to the end of the URL to get it to jump to a specific time. Read as "And set the time to 1 minute and 14 seconds".

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BHJJzGd7vQ&t=74s

code:
[video type="youtube" start="1m14s"]-BHJJzGd7vQ[/video]

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elizabethan Error posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BHJJzGd7vQ&t=74s

code:
[video type="youtube" start="1m14s"]-BHJJzGd7vQ[/video]

That still starts from the beginning for me, though I’m on the iPhone app.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
starts fine for me on desktop and in awful on android so I think it's an issue with your app

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That still starts from the beginning for me, though I’m on the iPhone app.

that would be why, the iphone app doesn't handle bbcode super well apparently.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

report the bug, and link the post

it's a red-letter day for this thread

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/JeffEisenband/status/1303410973315870722

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Now that's what we call commitment to the organization, coming into work on your day off!

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Gynovore posted:

They quite literally used one voice actor for each race/sex combination.

The game had me going for a while with this, because the beggars had a sort of raspy pitiau affectation and then would switch over to the Standard Combination for any other dialog. Since I did a lot of Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood stuff early, I thought this was just them getting down to business (both factions use the beggars for intel) but it was actually just Bethesda doing a half-rear end job because it happens in regular conversation too.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs48hmVmEbg

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/701265871317762110/755031944395358208/DASH_480_1.mp4

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The shot block gets me every time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
drat, those arms are just unfair.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

No rule that an orangutan with gigantism can't play basketball.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

or as i call him, the gigangutan

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc5rB-0ZBcI

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Zone is a wild place.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/yukino_san_14/status/1305023670218158082?s=09

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak stamina looks like.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0SXA9sHgxM

Always loved the map glitch

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Love the map glitch, especially because I found it on my own (the game coming out back when I had few enough games that I eventually landed on various obscure things by sheer amount of replay time)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Captain Hygiene posted:

Love the map glitch, especially because I found it on my own (the game coming out back when I had few enough games that I eventually landed on various obscure things by sheer amount of replay time)

"Okay, I need to go this way... Wait, is this the right direction? I need to check the map. Okay, yeah. Wait... :aaaaa:"

Also there was an entire glitch LP of Link's Awakening, which I greatly enjoyed.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Dareon posted:

"Okay, I need to go this way... Wait, is this the right direction? I need to check the map. Okay, yeah. Wait... :aaaaa:"

Also there was an entire glitch LP of Link's Awakening, which I greatly enjoyed.

My avatar came from that thread!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Haha I remember watching that one in real time, and have checked it out a couple times since, it's a nice, quick and light playthrough even aside from the twist.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBXe6QDiOCc

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
One of the playtesters for my game turned up a fun one: if you kill multiple ships in very rapid succession, sometimes the death explosion becomes gigantic.

I need to figure out some way to leave this in while also making it harder to trigger accidentally...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Average out the distances and make the collective explosion appear in the middle of the group, maybe?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, I figured out the bug and fixed it. I have a pool of explosions, and when I destroy a ship it pulls an explosion from the pool, multiplies its scale according to the size of the ship, and then plays it. Note that it doesn't first verify that the explosion's scale is set to 1; it just blithely assumes. Something about killing things in rapid succession makes it so that the ship is more likely to get an explosion that's already large, so effectively the size gets squared and you end up with a scale of, say, 900 instead of 30.

Anyway, the point is that having gigantic explosions sometimes is fun. It just needs to not look quite so much like a bug.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's a well known maxim that bigger explosions = better explosions, I'm glad you have accepted this in your game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that was just a suggestion for how you can make it look good. After a number of smaller explosions, you could try to place an extra-large one centered between the ships that just got destroyed, as a sort of group explosion. Sorry, I can't figure out how to phrase it better.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ahh, I gotcha. That might work. At the moment none of the dying ships know about each other, but that can be changed. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

put in a killstreak/combo system that does nothing but increase the size of the explosions when you kill things if you're doing well

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ahh, I gotcha. That might work. At the moment none of the dying ships know about each other, but that can be changed. Thanks for the suggestion! :)
Happy to help.

cock hero flux posted:

put in a killstreak/combo system that does nothing but increase the size of the explosions when you kill things if you're doing well
Hell, this might not be a bad idea, really. Just make booms boomier as a combo system indicator, there would be something very satisfying about that. It rewards itself - when you do well, things not only explode more often, but they explode better as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, I clicked this one button on my ride and it forced everyone to exit at once, and they all got stacked in this monstrosity:

KILL US!

unpaused and it explodes into a ton of people: