Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I can’t believe we’ve reached the stage of this where people are making Doom 3 clones on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stunt_enby posted:

who the gently caress wrote this lmao

What, it’s pretty accurate. I remember big polygonal boob lady and it’s a better game than Quake 2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lemon-Lime posted:

I can’t believe we’ve reached the stage of this where people are making Doom 3 clones on purpose.

Every year we move further from God's light.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo was Limitless Hunger ugly. They are damaging their brand by associating themselves with ANY developer doing a retro FPS regardless of quality.

Remasters like Sin and Kingpin makes me think they are starting to scrap the bottom of the barrel, as they aren't good enough games rebuy and replay.

Shadowman is a better game to remaster but being honest, I barely noticed the enhanced graphics, except for the lightning/effects. It still keeps strongly the PS1 feel with big planes and muddy textures making up the scenario, for better or worse.

Hellscren made my eyes roll, this isn't even real nostalgia, CGA wasn't a thing anymore when FPS appeared!

Some (brief) enemy animations in Prodeus were pretty bad. I'm singling out Prodeus but in reality it's something that pitifully, can be applied to lots of indie 3d games, that's the reality of gamedev. It seems getting a pair of decent artists to make environment/textures is doable for very small devs, but getting an actual professional animator is way harder, as they are more rare.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Every year we move further from God's light.

yeah, because we're going into hell. to fight the demons. because these things are good.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The Kins posted:

• Rise of the Triad '95 is getting a Switch, console and modern-PC update via Destructive Creations.

loving noooooooooo whyyyyy do those fucks are getting legitimised using such a good game ;(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

• Shadowman Remastered continues Kaiser's usual party trick of making N64 games into not-N64 games. No release date yet.
Well he's reverse-engineering the PC version and using the surviving source code of the PlayStation version as a guide, so that helps a lot in making it not-N64.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mordja posted:

The levels look great, but the guns are too-simplistic and some of the enemies just end up looking a little silly.

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm ok with Dusk's weapon look, maybe because the sound compensates a lot. But some of the enemies are ridiculous in their primitive simplicity.

See I'm more than fine with the enemies being a tad less serious looking than they should, helps reduce the tension a little as Dusk is already plenty spooky and if it was full spooky all the time then it would become one of those games where I can only play for short bursts of time before I have to stop from mental exhaustion

Stunt_enby posted:

who the gently caress wrote this lmao

If I had a clip of Civvie laughing this would be a perfect reaction to that description

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of remasters, I wonder when Deus Ex turn will arrive. My bet? I give it two years to appear.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I like how amateurishly edgy and ugly Limitless Hunger looks. It's refreshing in a way.

Maybe I just like ugly games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Turin Turambar posted:

Holy poo poo was Limitless Hunger ugly. They are damaging their brand by associating themselves with ANY developer doing a retro FPS regardless of quality.

Remasters like Sin and Kingpin makes me think they are starting to scrap the bottom of the barrel, as they aren't good enough games rebuy and replay.

Shadowman is a better game to remaster but being honest, I barely noticed the enhanced graphics, except for the lightning/effects. It still keeps strongly the PS1 feel with big planes and muddy textures making up the scenario, for better or worse.

Hellscren made my eyes roll, this isn't even real nostalgia, CGA wasn't a thing anymore when FPS appeared!

Some (brief) enemy animations in Prodeus were pretty bad. I'm singling out Prodeus but in reality it's something that pitifully, can be applied to lots of indie 3d games, that's the reality of gamedev. It seems getting a pair of decent artists to make environment/textures is doable for very small devs, but getting an actual professional animator is way harder, as they are more rare.
I don't agree with everything here, but yeah, decent animation is a real weakness when it comes to a lot of indie shooters.

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of remasters, I wonder when Deus Ex turn will arrive. My bet? I give it two years to appear.
Never bet on Squeenix.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

They should've done Soldier of Fortune first before Kingpin.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I've bounced off of System Shock several times but this looks nuts.

E: Which one of you just posted "this sounds like Longmont Potion Castle?"

caleb fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 6, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

They should've done Soldier of Fortune first before Kingpin.

I thought about that game when I was watching the Kingpin part!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wait, was System Shock always a 6DOF? :psyduck:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mordja posted:

DUSK at least didn't seem a case of the dev opportunistically using low-poly designs solely to appeal to nostalgia, its graphics just seemed like the limit of Dave's art abilities.

Ja, DUSK is almost an asset flip, if asset flips were made by someone who gives a poo poo.

My big problem with DUSK's look isn't the asset quality but the art direction. It's all this desaturated mush of mud and concrete and rusted sheet iron that's just exhausting to look at. Even when it's visiting strange alien hell dimensions it's still all built out of concrete and rust. Which makes a sort of thematic sense, because it's this apotheosis of backwoods America, but by God can I not bring myself to give a poo poo.

It was worse when Amid Evil was the only real point of comparison, because AE is so lush visually.

Castor Poe posted:

gently caress, I meant Cacodemons, my bad!

True, the same could be said about most enemies in the game, I guess. I just didn't find them particularly fun to fight, especially in groups.

Yeah the Bone Balls suck rear end, I think because they have zero hit reaction? You sink a bunch of bullets into them and they go pop like a balloon. Okay bye.

Groovelord Neato posted:

There is a way to skip the gauntlet level (you use the crossbow to fly to an alternate exit) but yeah it's the level I dislike the most. I said it ages ago but I would've loved a proper level with that weird look.

Aw. I actually like Dweller in the Darkness the most of all DUSK's levels. The others never quite hit the level of intensity that I was looking for in the combat.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

it's currently undergoing preparation and will be operational within six months

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Star Explorers looks like a fake game you'd see in the background of a prestige drama.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Mordja posted:

Wait, was System Shock always a 6DOF? :psyduck:

Yes. That was the cyberspace levels, which originally used a wire frame renderer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket Pan posted:

Yes. That was the cyberspace levels, which originally used a wire frame renderer.

From a modern perspective, making a retro immersive sim FPS to play like another retro 90s shooter (Descent) in the cyberspace levels is very fitting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
As someone who replayed SoF 1 and 2 a couple of years back I can tell you that in actual fact neither game is particularly fun or interesting outside of the gore system.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

repiv posted:

it's currently undergoing preparation and will be operational within six months

within the week?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Viscerafest premise is the type of funny & cute thing I can dig.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
not feelin the super shiny system shock look, especially compared to some of the games shown at this event that manage to do so much with such basic graphics

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Limitless Hunger looks hideous and I kind of love it. I wanna give it a hug for trying.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

[*]DUSK's Switch port is getting an exclusive endless mode map of... the castle from Super Mario 64 in DUSK style?! Who'd they blackmail to get that happening?!

[*]Rise of the Triad '95 is getting a Switch, console and modern-PC update via Destructive Creations.
[/list]

Holy shiiiiiiit, what what what, to both of these?! Insane.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

Star Explorers looks like a fake game you'd see in the background of a prestige drama.

Despite Demons Souls owning I agreed when someone saying it looked like a game you'd see someone playing on Law and Order SVU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
This event is totally making me want to start spending more time in Trenchbroom and Blender. It's pretty inspiring.

F yes JSJ.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's almost cute seeing people still chasing their dreams of making a new fast arena shooter... (sorry, it will fail like the rest).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Turin Turambar posted:

It's almost cute seeing people still chasing their dreams of making a new fast arena shooter... (sorry, it will fail like the rest).

If you're talking about Warsow it's been around for like 10 years and has always been a free game, including it's newest iteration on Steam.

...But, yes, it's pretty dead there lol.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Holy poo poo I cannot beat level 3-1 in ULTRAKILL.

Maybe I shouldn't have started the game in Violent but I'm already at the end of the first act so I can't go back now!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Boy, JSJ's a charmer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

If you're talking about Warsow it's been around for like 10 years and has always been a free game, including it's newest iteration on Steam.

...But, yes, it's pretty dead there lol.

I heard about Warsow, but I didn't get the connection between Warfork and Warsow. I see it now...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

I don't agree with everything here, but yeah, decent animation is a real weakness when it comes to a lot of indie shooters.

Never bet on Squeenix.

Decent animation was a weakness of shooters in general. Rage is still a standout game when it comes to animation that isn't ragdoll or motion captured.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lemon-Lime posted:

As someone who replayed SoF 1 and 2 a couple of years back I can tell you that in actual fact neither game is particularly fun or interesting outside of the gore system.

the level design in both games is total rear end, but the shooting is really fun. which, yeah, is in large part because of the gore system, but both games just have really good gunfeel in general

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Why the gently caress are the Hatred devs working on a ROTT remaster

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Because we can't have nice things and shitbags will always find a way to worm their way in to legit scenes

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, who owns Rise of the Triad? 3D Realms?

You'd think after the Ion Fury controversy they would be more choosy but I'm sure the price was right for them.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
That was all really cool. It is nice to see that there is a huge community for this stuff beyond the doomworld forums and this thread and the nb discord and func_messageboard etc. I hope it continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rinkles posted:

not feelin the super shiny system shock look, especially compared to some of the games shown at this event that manage to do so much with such basic graphics

I really wish they'd at least had better level geometry instead of copying the original's extremely limited one. It makes the game look so much worse than it could.

al-azad posted:

Yeah, who owns Rise of the Triad? 3D Realms?

You'd think after the Ion Fury controversy they would be more choosy but I'm sure the price was right for them.

Given that they put this whole event together along (and also, you know, the whole hiding behind "they're contractors we can't do anything" thing with Void Point while also not giving any poo poo about what they did) it shouldn't really come as a surprise, sadly.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 6, 2020