Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Oil of Paris posted:

Anybody else having some mature and healthy trees prematurely defoliating? My big rear end black cherry has really left loose, I think this summer has just been one big rear end kick and the plants are calling it a day earlier

There have been 4 very dry springs/summers each year here in Germany for the last four years.

Appart from all the spruces and pines dying, the Linden/Lime trees are losing their leaves already.
Some native cherry's as well. A lot of ornamentals from east Asia are no longer viable any more.

One of my favourites, the silver Birch is also no longer viable in lots of forests or gardens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Oil of Paris posted:

Anybody else having some mature and healthy trees prematurely defoliating? My big rear end black cherry has really left loose, I think this summer has just been one big rear end kick and the plants are calling it a day earlier

My six foot tall Sango Kaku maple did this as well, and then I found out there was almost no nitrogen in the soil.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

We had literally 3 days of spring which caused a bunch of things to start shooting up, then it was cold and rainy for months, and then we went into full blown summer with three weeks of drought.

A lot of my plants are clearly confused. Some are flagging a bit early, other ones are pushing out new growth much later than I would expect. All of the trees in my yard (which I planted all but one of this year) seem to be extremely happy with the weird rear end conditions this season, though, including a ~3 foot umbrella pine that has put on most of a foot.

I'm hoping we don't get slammed with a bad winter because I have a feeling a lot of things aren't really prepared for it.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Wallet posted:

We had literally 3 days of spring which caused a bunch of things to start shooting up, then it was cold and rainy for months, and then we went into full blown summer with three weeks of drought.

A lot of my plants are clearly confused. Some are flagging a bit early, other ones are pushing out new growth much later than I would expect. All of the trees in my yard (which I planted all but one of this year) seem to be extremely happy with the weird rear end conditions this season, though, including a ~3 foot umbrella pine that has put on most of a foot.

I'm hoping we don't get slammed with a bad winter because I have a feeling a lot of things aren't really prepared for it.

My fruit trees are flowering again. I mean, I appreciate trying to give me some fresh pears for Christmas, but please stop.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oil of Paris posted:

Oh good, so it’s not just me having this problem.

Yeah both of my new cherry trees and maybe one or two of my apple trees have bit the dust. The van graft on my 3-in-1 cherry tree also croaked, although that was already gonna happen anyway (it was the furthest graft down from the top, and I planted the tree facing the wrong way, so the van was on the north side where it didn’t get hardly any sunlight cuz the main trunk was in the way).

I’m basically doing damage control on my apple trees by removing any and all leaves with browned edges or spots on them, until I can get a decent sprayer to apply fungicide to them. Thankfully none of them appear to have fire blight like someone here suggested awhile back, since they’re not showing the right symptoms at all, but I’m not taking chances. Most of them look as good as ever, but my poor golden delicious looks like a parrot that done plucked all its feathers off. :smith:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
This particular cherry is pretty large, about 40-50 or so feet tall if I had to eyeball it. I don’t think it’s suffering from lack of nutrients or water, I think it’s just been so goddamn hot

I’ve noticed some other cherries around town also dropping leaves, along with red buds and other early bloomers. hope that it’s just this weird year that’s making them call it quits early, but still struck me as odd. would suck rear end if it had somehow died out of nowhere :stare:

definitely wanted to see if anyone else had seen similar poo poo going down

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a battery sprayer. It doesn’t have to be fancy, but I will be spraying about 20 trees with 2 or 3 or 4 kinds of pesticide/fungicide, so it’s gotta be able to stand up to that at least. I’d also like to not have to recharge the battery too many times, although a better battery might push things outside of my price range.

Are there any particular sprayers y’all recommend?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 7, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

This particular cherry is pretty large, about 40-50 or so feet tall if I had to eyeball it. I don’t think it’s suffering from lack of nutrients or water, I think it’s just been so goddamn hot

I’ve noticed some other cherries around town also dropping leaves, along with red buds and other early bloomers. hope that it’s just this weird year that’s making them call it quits early, but still struck me as odd. would suck rear end if it had somehow died out of nowhere :stare:

definitely wanted to see if anyone else had seen similar poo poo going down

It's not too unusual for trees to shed leaves early, especially at the end of a hot, dry spell. Yes, the tree is stressed, yes it would be best if it wasn't dropping leaves, but usually ime they recover in the spring if they are otherwise healthy. Some trees here seem to slowly drop their leaves over the course of a month or three instead of dramatically dropping them all at once ala New England.

My parents' did randomly lose a few trees this year though. Most surprising was a seemingly healthy 15-20yr old Southern Red oak/Spanish oak/Quercus falcata that just didn't leaf out and then finally did leaf out but only on like three branches. They are usually a tough as nails, drought tolerant tree and we actually had a wetter than usual summer last yr. No idea what happened to it-I guess some kind of didease?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 7, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I have an opportunity to take on a major role in rehabbing a butterfly garden in a public park (as in, my friend and I would take over from the one lady who's been doing everything and is looking to hand it off). Currently it's super overgrown and a bit shabby, but more than half of the plants are actually supposed to be there, so it's not a disaster or anything. I am super excited about the possibility but I'm pretty new to gardening in general and have never done something like this before. Any tips, thoughts, horror stories? We're in NYC.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
What's a good source for local wildflower seeds? I've got a great place to plant them (if I can get the lawn guys to stop spraying it with herbicide).

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

vortmax posted:

What's a good source for local wildflower seeds? I've got a great place to plant them (if I can get the lawn guys to stop spraying it with herbicide).

Haha, well I don't think we can help u with local unless u tell us where u are

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Sprue posted:

Haha, well I don't think we can help u with local unless u tell us where u are

Oh duh, of course that might be relevant. I'm in Central Arkansas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
DIY > Horticulture: more than half of the plants are actually supposed to be there

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

showbiz_liz posted:

I have an opportunity to take on a major role in rehabbing a butterfly garden in a public park (as in, my friend and I would take over from the one lady who's been doing everything and is looking to hand it off). Currently it's super overgrown and a bit shabby, but more than half of the plants are actually supposed to be there, so it's not a disaster or anything. I am super excited about the possibility but I'm pretty new to gardening in general and have never done something like this before. Any tips, thoughts, horror stories? We're in NYC.

Any pictures? Would be interesting to see at least the state it's in, and/or any plants you aren't sure about.

I have no real experience in butterfly gardens per se, but I imagine the first thing you will need to do is have a clean up and establish what you have growing there.
Then have a little think about making a catalogue of all the plants and when they flower and of course if butterflies will be able to get good necter from them.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

showbiz_liz posted:

Are you trying to stay native or just want to make the pollinators and butterflies happy?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Oil of Paris posted:

Are you trying to stay native or just want to make the pollinators and butterflies happy?

I think native is nice but not the priority. Seems like priority one is increasing the milkweed, which is present but being outcompeted by other stuff.

I'm going to take photos soon, and my friend is also gonna get a list of the current plants from the current person in charge (who also has some seeds we'll need to inventory). I can only identify some of it by sight. I know there's a big patch of mugwort on one edge that we'll need to fight.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

showbiz_liz posted:

I think native is nice but not the priority. Seems like priority one is increasing the milkweed, which is present but being outcompeted by other stuff.

I'm going to take photos soon, and my friend is also gonna get a list of the current plants from the current person in charge (who also has some seeds we'll need to inventory). I can only identify some of it by sight. I know there's a big patch of mugwort on one edge that we'll need to fight.
Native is always best if you're trying to encourage pollinator diversity, and if y'all are concerned with monarchs, as you seem to be from the milkweed comment, there are many native milkweeds that are preferred to the commercial/ornamental ones. Here's a list of Arkansas native milkweeds (some of them may not be possible to find for sale/in nurseries, so if not, contact your local Department of Fish and Wildlife and extension office to see if anyone's doing seed propagation programs).

As for wildflowers generally, the Xerces Society has an amazing set of references for just your situation! Here's a thorough guidebook on establishing pollinator meadows from seed, detailed fact sheets on regionally native plants pollinators like in Arkansas/Southern Plains, and general pollinator conservation resources.

e: And wow, look at all the native bee species that have been found in Arkansas! Amazing :)

snailshell fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 9, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

snailshell posted:

Native is always best if you're trying to encourage pollinator diversity, and if y'all are concerned with monarchs, as you seem to be from the milkweed comment, there are many native milkweeds that are preferred to the commercial/ornamental ones. Here's a list of Arkansas native milkweeds (some of them may not be possible to find for sale/in nurseries, so if not, contact your local Department of Fish and Wildlife and extension office to see if anyone's doing seed propagation programs).

As for wildflowers generally, the Xerces Society has an amazing set of references for just your situation! Here's a thorough guidebook on establishing pollinator meadows from seed, detailed fact sheets on regionally native plants pollinators like in Arkansas/Southern Plains, and general pollinator conservation resources.

e: And wow, look at all the native bee species that have been found in Arkansas! Amazing :)

Wow what an awesome post especially all them bees. Saving these links thanks!

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

vortmax posted:

Oh duh, of course that might be relevant. I'm in Central Arkansas.

So there's a website called american meadows that sells real cheap wildflower mixes, but they're national so if you're interested in maintaining regional biodiversity a cursory search would suggest that this place would be much more likely to have varieties that are particularly appropriate for your location. I've found that searching for [state name] wildflower/native perennials + "restoration" is the most likely to lead you to sources that are intended for conversation efforts and therefore locally sourced plants. I think it's worth spending a bit more (a lb goes pretty far) and supporting regional conservation efforts, but on the other hand, american meadows sure has some cheap mixes lol. I'm curious if anyone else has more info, cuz I'm on a native plant kick,

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

showbiz_liz posted:

A lot will very much depend on how much size you have in the area, so if you can get a good estimate of that then we will really know what to recommend. You can grow most of the same stuff that I can in your zone, so I'll just mention some plants that are very popular with the pollinators. Native plant foliage is very important for butterfly larvae food, not necessarily the nectar, which can pretty much be anything native or not; that's why bees for instance don't really give a poo poo what you plant as long as they can get in there and root around for food

Here's my top choices of perennials:

Coneflower (Echinacea)- this is pretty much foundational for any butterfly or pollinator garden
Butterfly Weed (Asclepias)- likewise foundational but you already have that
Joe Pye Weed (Eutrochium purpureum)- hat trick foundational

All three of the above plants are drat near required for a good pollinator situation

Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum incanum)- will bloom the entire growing season
Baptisia- I've beaten the baptisia drum a lot in this thread so I'll just leave it at that they're a low maintenance early spring feeder, also a host
Bee balm (Monarda)
Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
Cup flower (Silphium perfoliatum)- gets big
New York Iron Weed (Vernonia noveboracensis)- also a larva host
Hardy lantana- gets VERY big, cut to ground every winter
Cat Mint (Nepeta) - early spring bloomer, low maintenance
Penstemon- Great choice for low maintenance and lovely soils
Liatris
Perennial Sunflower
Phlox
Goldenrod (Solidago) - great for late summer and fall nectar, very clutch
Aster- same deal as golden rod but also serves as a host plant for larvae
Verbena (Verbena bonariensis)- feeds a huge variety of butterflies

That list should carry you through from spring until the end of fall easily. Many of them are vigorous weeds in their own right, and so also do well in making sure that undesirable weeds can't hack it in the garden.

Annuals (all of these attract butterflies but also tend to be successful in reseeding themselves for the next year):
Zinnia
Bachelor button (Centaurea cyanus)
Rubeckia
Coleus
Amaranth

Now Butterfly Bush (Buddleia) is an incredible woody plant for butterflies but is controversial, as it is considered invasive in some environments. To me, this is easily solved by getting one of the sterile cultivars, of which there are many to choose from. They absolutely love this plant and will be covered with butterflies from dawn to dusk. It is woody, but it should be cut nearly to the ground every spring for maximum flowers and good foliage

Similarly, the chaste tree (vitex) is woody non-native but isn't really invasive at all in your zone. Can grow into an actual tree but is really more like a big shrub. It may even die back to the ground if you have a really rough winter but would be fine. I highly recommend both aesthetically and functionally

Edit: In terms of practical advice, I would get a soil test done to make sure that the soil hasn't been depleted from use over the years, since you don't know the history of the plot and how well the balance of nutrients has been maintained

Additionally, you'll want to plant some native grasses (it's more important that these are native imo) for shelter and host plants. I'm waiting to see how big your area is before recommending any of these bc some would be downright impractical

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 10, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Wow this is rad. Knew I was asking the right people. I'm probably going back to the park tomorrow, so I'll try to get photos then.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
I'm so hyped on my new bromeliads!!!! (The bark will be hung up on the wall soon, not just sitting on a crate lol)

So far I've just splashed the Tillandsias once, and had a hell of a time keeping everything wired on while splashing and then shaking dry since I did the wiring myself... Especially since I think the Neoregelia will want to root into the bark eventually and I don't want to rip any new fragile roots loose. Would it be terrible to splash them/aggressively mist them until they're dripping without taking the bark off the wall?? I don't want to leave them to get soggy with sitting water.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Goongrats on becoming mod kaiser. The reign of the plant thread begins :catstare:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Which thread is best suited to questions about critter holes in one's yard? We've got a whopper.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I have defeated many a yard pest. What is the beast? *unsheathes katana*

Lol just read your post more carefully, you haven’t seen the interloper yet, my bad. you should post a pic of the hole

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 12, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We have a small patch of dirt, maybe 24" × 8", between a path and a fence that had been home to a stack of old plastic pots. It now has a huge mound of clayey soil surrounding a 4"-diameter hole. All out of nowhere! My husband poked around gently in there and saw some movement that was more like something trying to back in and away from us. This is in SE Michigan.

We've seen squirrels, raccoons, voles (not in our yard, but in our general area), skunks, opossum, the occasional mouse, and groundhogs, one of which was checking out our bird feeder earlier in the week. I know some of these are too big and some are too small.

eta: https://imgur.com/a/tyVM79y The hole is at the bottom of that narrow wooden stave.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 12, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Goongrats on becoming mod kaiser. The reign of the plant thread begins :catstare:

As my first act as mod, the horticulture thread is getting stickied permanently and I am banishing those filthy vegetable gardeners to the compost heap, may they rot in hell (and be eaten by worms and turned into productive and healthy soil!)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oil of Paris posted:

Kaiser can’t fool me.

I know that his true loyalty is to the woodworking thread.

Hirayuki posted:

Which thread is best suited to questions about critter holes in one's yard? We've got a whopper.

I think landscaping.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

As my first act as mod, the horticulture thread is getting stickied permanently and I am banishing those filthy vegetable gardeners to the compost heap, may they rot in hell (and be eaten by worms and turned into productive and healthy soil!)

Their hubris will be turned to humus

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Roger that. Thanks!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

snailshell posted:

Sprue posted:

So there's a website called american meadows that sells real cheap wildflower mixes, but they're national so if you're interested in maintaining regional biodiversity a cursory search would suggest that this place would be much more likely to have varieties that are particularly appropriate for your location. I've found that searching for [state name] wildflower/native perennials + "restoration" is the most likely to lead you to sources that are intended for conversation efforts and therefore locally sourced plants. I think it's worth spending a bit more (a lb goes pretty far) and supporting regional conservation efforts, but on the other hand, american meadows sure has some cheap mixes lol. I'm curious if anyone else has more info, cuz I'm on a native plant kick,

This is super helpful, thanks! Looking forward to encouraging native bees with local flowers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hello! Apologies for this big-rear end post, but I'm doing an audit of my garden (in the south east of england) and have FIFTEEN trees slash shrubs to identify, and specifically whether they're worth keeping.

Hopefully you folks can help? Click for big.

Tree 1

Tree 2

Tree 3

Tree 4

Tree 5

Tree 6

This is all a bit of a mess, but I think there's one main one here.

Tree 7

Tree 8

How many bushtrees are in here I dunno.

Tree 9

Tree 10

The big tall one on the middle-right.

Tree 11

Tree 12

This one's a little amorphous but definitely exists.

Tree 13

Tree 14

Tree 15

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tree 5 is a lilac. Tree 1 could possibly be a pincherry.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
1 looks like a birch

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
6, 9, and 15 are all Buddleja

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

6, 9 and 15 are buddleia. Butterflies love them but I loathe them (despite my garden being planted for our winged friends)

They grow in every crack and crevace, you'll find them covering abandoned buildings in the cracks, in the roof, in the path etc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28196221
Next door to me has been empty 2 years, and I haven't yet broken down and asked to tend their garden and get rid... it's covered and they are now growing in my bloody wall!!

I would get shot, and if you want them overall, get some more interesting varieties.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thank you :)

I'm also going through them with the woodlands trust app.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tree 9 and 15 are I believe both Buddleia. Tree 11 is a Mahonia/oregon grape. I think Tree 1 is some sort of Prunus/stone fruit/cherry

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Thank you :)

I'm also going through them with the woodlands trust app.

I am obligated by my research PI to tell you to load them up on iNaturalist. You'll get a bunch of responses in short enough order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mofette posted:

6, 9 and 15 are buddleia. Butterflies love them but I loathe them (despite my garden being planted for our winged friends)

They grow in every crack and crevace, you'll find them covering abandoned buildings in the cracks, in the roof, in the path etc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28196221
Next door to me has been empty 2 years, and I haven't yet broken down and asked to tend their garden and get rid... it's covered and they are now growing in my bloody wall!!

I would get shot, and if you want them overall, get some more interesting varieties.

Interesting, here they are planted and well liked :/