Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Did I step over a quest flag or something? I was doing the storyline where Gideon Reyes from Broadmoor Heights wants you to investigate the smuggling operation at the Bizarre, but after helping the Monster Army there and doing all the quests, there's no option to speak to anyone about the smuggling. And now the original quest is saying to go talk to Gideon like when I first got the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Not inside the bazaar - take a look around the parking garage area across a bridge

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Amppelix posted:

speaking of damage numbers bugs, here's a wild and consistent one i ran into: when i equip Kwon with an assault rifle and the Meat Maker (or whatever the unique crossbow is called) and switch between them during combat, his damage numbers start going wild. when i switch from the crossbow to the assault rifle, suddenly both weapons show drastically increased damage, and the rifle actually does said damage in practise! but if i switch from the rifle to the crossbow, both weapons display drastically reduced damage, so much so that the assault rifle actually goes into negative damage numbers which the game apparently is completely fine with displaying. again this actually applies when attacking with the bow, making it really really bad. but sadly i can't test the negative damage on the rifle since if i switch back to it it gets the bugged increased numbers again.

I've experienced weird issues like this as well. When I got the meatmaker its damage was almost as high as the sniper rifle I had, but when I tried to use it in actual combat the damage was minimal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Campbell posted:

Not inside the bazaar - take a look around the parking garage area across a bridge

Okay I'll try going there again.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ivan Dolvich posted:

I've experienced weird issues like this as well. When I got the meatmaker its damage was almost as high as the sniper rifle I had, but when I tried to use it in actual combat the damage was minimal.

Same. It also somehow made the uzi the same character had go down to -17 to -12 damage. I didn't get to try it to see if it really did heal people though. My melee characters weapons also seem to bounce around a lot, as if its not adding the strength bonus sometimes.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 6, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All right, now I'm just confused. I looked up a guide for Unwelcome Guests, and according to that there's a conversation that's supposed to initiate when I go near the bridge after getting the Entrance Pass. But there's no NPC nearby, and the bridge only says it has to be lowered from the other side. There's a door off to the left from the bridge where the wolf is patrolling, but that's boarded up and inaccessible. I've already cleared out the Warrens and there are no enemies left there. Am I missing something?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

All right, now I'm just confused. I looked up a guide for Unwelcome Guests, and according to that there's a conversation that's supposed to initiate when I go near the bridge after getting the Entrance Pass. But there's no NPC nearby, and the bridge only says it has to be lowered from the other side. There's a door off to the left from the bridge where the wolf is patrolling, but that's boarded up and inaccessible. I've already cleared out the Warrens and there are no enemies left there. Am I missing something?

Then maybe you do need to talk to Gideon again. The bridge should be lowered.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finished the game. Will pick it up on Steam once most of the major patches are out in order to unfuck the technical issues, because hooooooo boy they're bad and really get in the way. My ending slides were basically all sequel hooks and I'm pretty good with them because it was important to remember that this is a Wasteland game, not a Fallout game, and I'm playing as the Arizona Rangers, not a single dude. To that effect, I realized somewhere along the way that this game is the return of an old WRPG (but not completely one) near and dear to my heart: Fallout Tactics. Once I recognized this, a lot of things clicked into place for both the story and the gameplay, and why some of the story beats go the way they do.

My highest level character got to level 30; he was the squad lockpicker/leader and had maxed out charisma. Everyone else was around 24-25 or so. Skills I'll pass on next time are Animal Whisperer and Survival, except that the former can be good with certain builds and the latter can be useful for getting random encounters to gently caress off.

In terms of combat and encounter design, I think my biggest beefs were that:

1. Some encounters have some really lovely cover layouts, as if the arenas weren't big enough. Felt this mainly in Denver.
2. Lethality vs. your squad is out of fuckin' whack, IMO. Enemies can have so much defense and HP while your dudes are made of paper, and even with stacking as much armor and evasion as I could, I still feel like I had to lean so much on getting the first turn to mitigate as much damage as possible.
3. Related to the previous one: as fitting as it is to have a lot of combat encounters, the game really does incentivize you to shoot first and ask questions later because not every encounter will let you use a skill check to get the first turn in combat, and therefore taking position and leading with a rocket is like the best option 80% of the time.
4. The technical issues really get in the way of enjoying combat. Not just bugs, but like, I don't want to wait several minutes (on an SSD!) to load up a random encounter, gently caress off!

For weapons: SMGs and Shotguns are late bloomers, and goddamn do they bloom. ARs stay relevant due to an endgame weapon that does reliable energy damage, their Strikes (guaranteed hit is always good for finishing off enemies), and Puncturing Shot for cracking open armored enemies and letting your SMGs run wild. Flamethrowers are cool but lose relevance around Aspen or so, which is a bummer considering I managed to get the strongest flamethrower around that time and it still felt underpowered. Rockets great, always bring one. Snipers will fall off unless you maintain their crit stats, but if you do they'll be able to delete enemies, even the bastard monster ones with 3k+ HP, more or less consistently.

For skill combos: Explosives + Automatic Weapons and Explosives + Big Guns can do sickass combos because there are weapons and/or weapon mods that combine automatic fire with explosive damage, and this damage benefits from the explosives skill damage bonus. Namely: a unique SMG that shoots explosive rounds, the Nidhogg HMG which does 100-200 explosive damage per shot in a 5-shot volley, and a minigun + explosive damage underbarrel mod. These are absolute killers, and only an automatic shotgun build with the +damage per target perk can outdamage them. I'm told a fire damage SMG build can also be sick as hell, which I will try in my next run if I decide not to go for a pure melee build for my former flamethrower/brawler ranger.

Anyway, hope the patching goes well, I'll be picking this up on Steam down the line to give it a replay. Great game, technical issues are hosed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Then maybe you do need to talk to Gideon again. The bridge should be lowered.

Yeah, so what happened is that Broadmoor Heights apparently reset as if I had never been there. When I went back the map was uncovered, I had talked to none of the NPCs and all the chests were lootable again. I had to talk to Gideon again to progress the quest and sure enough, the bridge was down the next time I went to the Bizarre.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Any advice for The Bizarre where you get to the last section of the Payasos where they are praying ?

I am getting my poo poo pushed in and can't even kill but 3 or so before my squad wipes.

Edit: consider going to kill something else and coming back so I have my Rocket Launcher girl with a full strike meter and open with a nuke.

Yoked fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 7, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Yoked posted:

Any advice for The Bizarre where you get to the last section of the Payasos where they are praying ?

I am getting my poo poo pushed in and can't even kill but 3 or so before my squad wipes.

Edit: consider going to kill something else and coming back so I have my Rocket Launcher girl with a full strike meter and open with a nuke.

I haven't ran into a combat yet that can't be solved by dumping a bunch of auto turrets. I think I used two in that fight, actually. Even in the mid game, I find the turrets have enough armor and health to soak enough hits for your team to do damage and turn the tide

they're not even that expensive to buy

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where can I find a Companion who likes big guns?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You'll get the chance to recruit one during the main story when you're in Aspen. It's Victory Buchanan though so you may not want to roll with him

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

I haven't ran into a combat yet that can't be solved by dumping a bunch of auto turrets. I think I used two in that fight, actually. Even in the mid game, I find the turrets have enough armor and health to soak enough hits for your team to do damage and turn the tide

they're not even that expensive to buy

Thank you. I had a guy with Mechanics that I had basically forgotten about turrets with, so that did the trick!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

You'll get the chance to recruit one during the main story when you're in Aspen. It's Victory Buchanan though so you may not want to roll with him

I don't understand the point of making characters for an evil campaign. Like I get that it's the post apocalypse and things aren't black and white morality, but as much as mad max talks like an aloof loner who doesn't care about right or wrong, he always ends up playing the part of the hero. Why is the big guns companion a complete lunatic. Why are both of the melee companions violent gang leaders. One of them is basically Caeser from New Vegas except with a shotgun for a hand and we're supposed to consider him a viable alternative to the guy who has kept things relatively stable for an entire generation. I feel like Buchanan was supposed to have some pretty bad skeletons in his closet that they forgot to come up wit.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Did you find out about Buchanan's wives?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I feel like Buchanan was supposed to have some pretty bad skeletons in his closet that they forgot to come up wit.

He did sell political prisoners to the Godfishers to be sacrificed.

I have Fishlips as a companion because he's on a tight leash right in front of me and I will have zero compunctions about ending him on the spot if he steps a millimetre out of line.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 7, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah do Lucia's side story too. You find out a lot of poo poo Buchanan pulled.

Like Lucia's father got a cloaks and torches mob with plausible deniability to intimidate the Dorsey family to stop agitating for democratic elections then tried to murder the whole family when they got sassed. All on Saul's orders.

Then there's the fact he kept serially murdering his wives or covering up and hiding the hosed up poo poo Vic was doing (and explicitly made him his heir while knowing he was a violent sociopath).

Or how about how he sells political dissidents to the Windfishers who ritually murder and turn them into kites? Or how there's a death sentence for basically any crime in Colorado Springs.

Like honestly, Angela Deth has a good point.

Basically every major or minor problem you deal with in the game is a direct result of Saul Buchanan's chickens coming home to roost

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 7, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zore posted:

Or how there's a death sentence for basically any crime in Colorado Springs.

Only if you're not the Right Sort Of Person. Upstanding types spend a few days in the cells.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Lone Badger posted:

I have Fishlips as a companion because he's on a tight leash right in front of me and I will have zero compunctions about ending him on the spot if he steps a millimetre out of line.

Didn't know he could be a companion. First thing I did when meeting him was give him the Gipper oil fields. He seemed like a reputable fella and someone needs to tend the fields.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Didn't know he could be a companion. First thing I did when meeting him was give him the Gipper oil fields. He seemed like a reputable fella and someone needs to tend the fields.

Oh wow I didn't know I could do that. Too late now.

I wanted to have the robots take over but couldn't find any option for that.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 7, 2020

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

Lol that's what I did too. I rolled up on him and I'm like "yeah, I wiped out the gippers, you still wanna fight?" And hes like "...sure!" I was are you loving kidding me, just take their poo poo if you'll let me pass idgaf I ain't got time for that

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Does the Wasteland 3 still has the "crouch or hit nothing" thing?

It just felt strange to me when in almost every combat in Wasteland 2 now I'm forced to crouch, so if I want to reposition, I need to 1st stand up then move, hence burning a shitton of AP. So I need to painstakingly set up every fight in advance, rather than having it flow naturally.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

not really but also being in cover counts as crouching so you'll be crouched for most of combat anyway

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Speaking of cover, for a cover-based shooting battle system there usually isn't much cover to go around on the maps. Most of the time I'm shooting out of cover whether because cover objects are sparse to begin with or the available covers are crap for shooting from.

Ultimately I don't think it actually affects the gameplay that much, but I just find it funny.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I was getting my rear end kicked by the smugglers in the Bazaar, and I learned the power of backing up and letting them come to me, plus disco bots. The fight was 10x time more manageable.

My pet counter must have been bugged before or it's bugged now. Before the fight I had a random cat, Major Tom, Polly (who doesn't count as a pet?), and two robot chickens. It was a five animal killing squad, which was actually annoying because friendly fire from explosives or heavy weapons was a certainty. In the Bazaar I've lose the cat and both chickens, so I'm just left with Polly and Major Tom, and I still can't recruit the waste wolf.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ranger party selection is now broken in a new and different way. You can remove people from your party all you like, but there's only a chance that they'll show up again to be able to be re-added. Is this a new patch thing?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's one pet per person AFAIK, so you need to have a person with no pet try to recruit them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Made it to Aspen and I have to ask, who's the god drat wiseguy that decided it was a good idea to put a radio trigger at the foot of the bridge well within the sight range of a nearby patrol if you're trying to stealth your way past? That was annoying to deal with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I seem to be having a problem where quest flags consistently reset. The guy who shows up at Ranger HQ and asks you to kill the synth in Colorado Springs appeared again when I went back to the base and told me to do the whole thing over again. My quest log is still telling me that Perla wants to talk about retrieving a missing girl even though she is very much dead. Very strange.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Had a couple of weird bugs crop up.

I have Flab’s throne on display in my museum in memory of when we overthrew the Monster Army. Except that I killed the gently caress out of Charley and his goons and am literally loved by the MA.

The girl outside the bizarre (the one who is making dyes) has bugged out- I can hand in the quest an infinite number of times for $116 a time. Which has admittedly made my money woes a lot easier.

Also, when do vendors restock? I appear to have bought every single energy cell in CS, Denver and the Bizarre and am starting to have an ammo crisis

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Amppelix posted:

not really but also being in cover counts as crouching so you'll be crouched for most of combat anyway

Wait a minute! Does this mean that in Wasteland 2, cover = crouching as well? That's a game-changer.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Bug or feature? When I start combat by having my Serial Killer shoot and kill an enemy, I don't get the +3 AP from the kill. :cry:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Defiance Industries posted:

lmao holy poo poo i had no idea you could recruit him.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

srulz posted:

Wait a minute! Does this mean that in Wasteland 2, cover = crouching as well? That's a game-changer.

In both 2 and 3 you get the same +10% aim bonus when you are in cover as when you are crouching. 2 does generally have lower base to hit rolls though, that combined with the jamming mechanic makes combat in 2 feel a lot more clumsy early on compared to 3.

Edit: if you're struggling with Wasteland 2 though, iirc the I win button is maxing Awareness because 2's initiative system is thoroughly exploitable.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 7, 2020

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Questions.

Does the Petite Feet perk only work for "landmines" or for all traps?

What's the relation between evasion and hit chance? Does cover simply give more evasion? Will the Mark Target perk/ability that reduces the enemy's evasion by 15% give everyone +15% chance to hit?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

PirateBob posted:

What's the relation between evasion and hit chance? Does cover simply give more evasion? Will the Mark Target perk/ability that reduces the enemy's evasion by 15% give everyone +15% chance to hit?

There was an answer from the WL3 twitter about this, Full Cover (your unit is standing) provided 60% evasion and 10% hit chance, while Low Cover (your unit is crouching) provided 40% evasion and 10% hit chance.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Eddain posted:

There was an answer from the WL3 twitter about this, Full Cover (your unit is standing) provided 60% evasion and 10% hit chance, while Low Cover (your unit is crouching) provided 40% evasion and 10% hit chance.

So basically there's a direct relation between evasion and hit chance? 100% chance to hit + 60% evasion from full cover +10% character evasion = 30% chance to hit?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Supreme LOL to you if you ever try to sit there calculating hit chance instead of YOLOing it up with the confidence that you will suceed every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Supreme LOL to you if you ever try to sit there calculating hit chance instead of YOLOing it up with the confidence that you will suceed every time.

WL3 is XCOM levels of bullshit, I've had pistol users miss point blank targets in open space.