Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

CelestialScribe posted:

The fact that Andrewsd himself rolled back the plan the day after announcing it suggests there was something wrong with it.

Suggesting that plans are malleable to fit the reality on the ground if things go well/bad is a sign that the plan is wrong got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
41 cases today is good but

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

CelestialScribe posted:

See, this is what happens when you dare to criticise the government, or even suggest that the plan should be amended. You seem to think that by criticising Andrews I think the lockdown should end and everyone should go back to normal. Couldn't be further than the truth. You just can't stomach that the government hosed up.

Also, I wouldn't say living / working at home with a disabled child is a slight inconvenience, but please, tell me more about my life.

The fact that Andrewsd himself rolled back the plan the day after announcing it suggests there was something wrong with it.

The plan is flexable to allow changes as new information comes to light, sure there was a gently caress up at some point but it dosnt change the fact that we are still in the middle of a loving pandemic never seen in our lifetime and mistakes will happen.

What do you want? A change of government right now? What exactly is your plan?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

EoinCannon posted:

41 cases today is good but

Not a lot of people getting tested on Father’s Day, I’d say.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Not a lot of people getting tested on Father’s Day, I’d say.

Yeah true, watching the numbers is all I have though

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Tommunist posted:

Suggesting that plans are malleable to fit the reality on the ground if things go well/bad is a sign that the plan is wrong got it.

The plan literally said, "We will reach the next stage the later of THIS DATE or CASE AVERAGE UNDER X"

Andrews literally just came out this morning and said they will relax restrictions earlier if that's the case.

If so, what's the loving point of putting those thresholds on? Yet another sign the entire thing has been rushed with no strategic thought.

Scarecow posted:

The plan is flexable to allow changes as new information comes to light

That isn't the plan! The plan literally says, "restrictions only end when we reach X cases or X date, the later of the two".

Andrews contradicted that this morning. How is that consistent planning? How is that easy for people to understand? It's ridiculous.

quote:

What do you want? A change of government right now? What exactly is your plan?

I want three things:

#1. Andrews to resign and to personally take responsibility for the damage he caused by causing the second wave. He should pledge to donate his pension for the rest of his life.

I personally want him held criminally responsible but that's not going to happen.

#2. I think the stages of this plan are good but the case thresholds are completely unrealistic. The averages should be amended to under 20, not under 5.
#3. An independent audit of the contact tracing procedures. DHHS simply can't be trusted.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

CelestialScribe posted:

The plan literally said, "We will reach the next stage the later of THIS DATE or CASE AVERAGE UNDER X"

Andrews literally just came out this morning and said they will relax restrictions earlier if that's the case.

If so, what's the loving point of putting those thresholds on? Yet another sign the entire thing has been rushed with no strategic thought.

That isn't the plan! The plan literally says, "restrictions only end when we reach X cases or X date, the later of the two".

Andrews contradicted that this morning. How is that consistent planning? How is that easy for people to understand? It's ridiculous.

I want three things:

#1. Andrews to resign and to personally take responsibility for the damage he caused by causing the second wave. He should pledge to donate his pension for the rest of his life.

I personally want him held criminally responsible but that's not going to happen.

#2. I think the stages of this plan are good but the case thresholds are completely unrealistic. The averages should be amended to under 20, not under 5.
#3. An independent audit of the contact tracing procedures. DHHS simply can't be trusted.

Tim smith account spotted

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

teacup posted:

Tim smith account spotted

Why is this thread obsessed with bootlicking Dan Andrews

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CelestialScribe posted:

See, this is what happens when you dare to criticise the government, or even suggest that the plan should be amended. You seem to think that by criticising Andrews I think the lockdown should end and everyone should go back to normal. Couldn't be further than the truth. You just can't stomach that the government hosed up.

Also, I wouldn't say living / working at home with a disabled child is a slight inconvenience, but please, tell me more about my life.

no i agree the govt hosed up. but i also think that him resigning mid crisis would do nothing except make petty vindictive shits feel better about their own frustrations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

hambeet posted:

no i agree the govt hosed up. but i also think that him resigning mid crisis would do nothing except make petty vindictive shits feel better about their own frustrations.

It would send a signal that the government takes most of the blame for this crisis, and not individuals.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Daniel Andrews and COVID-19 were in the closet making a second wave and I saw one of the waves and the wave looked at me

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dude is doing his best during a pandemic, as to what happend in the hotels and who is to blame thats for the independent review to work out and assign blame and to deal with it when the time comes.

Having a change in leadership during a pandemic is a million times worse then keeping with the current.

Why are you so obsessed with Danny? It wasn't him at the hotel coughing on all the door nobs jfc

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Scarecow posted:

Dude is doing his best during a pandemic

His best isn't good enough.

quote:

as to what happend in the hotels and who is to blame thats for the independent review to work out and assign blame and to deal with it when the time comes.

He is responsible, therefore he is to blame

quote:

Having a change in leadership during a pandemic is a million times worse then keeping with the current.

Why are you so obsessed with Danny? It wasn't him at the hotel coughing on all the door nobs jfc

He's the leader of the state. The buck stops with him, and he needs to take responsibility for what's happened. He hasn't.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://twitter.com/theage/status/1302713224907890688

Hahaha

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CelestialScribe posted:

It would send a signal that the government takes most of the blame for this crisis, and not individuals.

What good would that accomplish

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Hopefully placing someone more competent in charge, for a start.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

What good would that accomplish

It would make CS feel less frustrated.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CelestialScribe posted:

Hopefully placing someone more competent in charge, for a start.

Who? Who exactly is going to take over? What will they do differently right now? What's going to be the plan that avoids numbers getting out of control again?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anybody whingeing about Melbourne's case threshold for reopening needs to explain how they would prevent the numbers from spiralling out of control into a third wave if we reopened at a higher threshold, which the modelling indicates is what would happen.

Also jfc RESIGN NOW is what you demand for a fuckup in normal times, not when the state is in the middle of the deadliest crisis its ever faced in history

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Scarecow posted:

Who? Who exactly is going to take over? What will they do differently right now? What's going to be the plan that avoids numbers getting out of control again?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

Anybody whingeing about Melbourne's case threshold for reopening needs to explain how they would prevent the numbers from spiralling out of control into a third wave if we reopened at a higher threshold, which the modelling indicates is what would happen.

If that's case, why isn't the threshold 0 cases?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

CelestialScribe posted:

Why is this thread obsessed with bootlicking Dan Andrews

Yeah that’s right thinking you are wrong means this

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'd just like to remind everyone in this time of crisis that our current Prime Minister is a homophobe.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

And that our PM does things in a way so they he gets none of the blame, but all of the praise by 'letting everyone sought it out themselves'

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

If that's case, why isn't the threshold 0 cases?

because the modelling shows you don't need to get it to 0 to have a statistically really good chance of not letting any outbreaks spiral out of control

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
but he built a weird doghouse for his kids so you know he's a good bloke

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

freebooter posted:

Happy for the State to make up the difference in JobKeeper being reduced if it’s essential these numbers are hit. No discussion or proposal of this.

It shouldn’t be illegal for me to go to work, while also having money to pay the rent/mortgage and electricity/gas/food bills being reduced and then ended.

Can’t have it both ways. Or if you do, hundreds of thousands of Melbournians will start to breach the restrictions.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’m batty for Tim Smith

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah I'm 100% biased towards Dan after his response to covid. He's a good example of leadership vs management. IMO he's made very reasonable decisions at the time they were made, sometimes luck just doesn't go your way.

If he ever rang for a late night handy I'd oblige.

E: having said that watch the hotel quarantine investigating turn up Dan went to every hotel and shared his bong with the guards.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If (probably when) things spiral out of control in NSW I'm expecting a much worse response.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Breakfast Burrito posted:

because the modelling shows you don't need to get it to 0 to have a statistically really good chance of not letting any outbreaks spiral out of control

The modelling is flawed.

quote:

Statistical modelling can be a valuable decision-making tool, allowing you to test various scenarios and navigate the road ahead with some degree of foresight. But how useful it is depends on the insight we have into epidemic dynamics, how these are incorporated into the model and the accuracy of the parameters that underpin the model.

The model used here is based on international estimates for key parameters, including time to case reporting, infection periods, etc, and is reasonable enough. It builds in assumptions of compliance with mask wearing and how many people are essential workers, etc. The model then computes community transmission scenarios and spits out different forecasts depending on how the dice fall, say, whether that new case is an essential worker and still going to work or not. We then look at how the projected futures compare across simulation runs.

The model does not try to distinguish between those cases linked to known, contained clusters versus wider community transmission and in particular those "mystery cases". This is particularly important in Victoria as the chief health officer tells us that one third of new cases are in workers from health or aged care, and another third are their close contacts.

Catherine Bennett is chair in epidemiology at Deakin University.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/steps-out-will-be-incremental-frustrating-even-arbitrary-20200906-p55sti.html

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If (probably when) things spiral out of control in NSW I'm expecting a much worse response.

Yeah no doubt there

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoy CelestialScribes posts very much. They remind me of my friend in Perth who is complaining about border closures even though he is fine and able to work from home, had no plans to travel interstate anyway and is just sick of being at home with his kids and wife. He's also anti-dandrews despite living in WA.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Fair enough, I'm not an epidemiologist - but do you think that perhaps people calling for him to be held personally criminally liable for the second wave outbreak might push him towards a more conservative approach minimising risk wherever possible rather than risk opening up too early?

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

hooman posted:

Daniel Andrews and COVID-19 were in the closet making a second wave and I saw one of the waves and the wave looked at me

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

BurgerQuest posted:

I enjoy CelestialScribes posts very much. They remind me of my friend in Perth who is complaining about border closures even though he is fine and able to work from home, had no plans to travel interstate anyway and is just sick of being at home with his kids and wife. He's also anti-dandrews despite living in WA.

This lockdown has changed my life for the worse in ways you can't imagine.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Breakfast Burrito posted:

Fair enough, I'm not an epidemiologist - but do you think that perhaps people calling for him to be held personally criminally liable for the second wave outbreak might push him towards a more conservative approach minimising risk wherever possible rather than risk opening up too early?

Then why did he say he would loosen restrictions before the dates in the plan? Lack of strategic thought and insight. He's shooting at the hip.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Celestial scribe: Daniel 'wuhaniel' Andrews is responsible for everything wrong that has ever happened

The thread: now hold on let's have a reasonable discussion about this

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

Then why did he say he would loosen restrictions before the dates in the plan? Lack of strategic thought and insight. He's shooting at the hip.

What would you have preferred? You seem unhappy about the dates in the plan but also about the dates in the plan potentially changing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Celestial scribe: Daniel 'wuhaniel' Andrews is responsible for everything wrong that has ever happened

The thread: now hold on let's have a reasonable discussion about this

Wuhaniel is a good one