Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I absolutely love that the perfect storm of the Crabs winning Falling Stars with 5%, which happened to target Nagomi Mcdaniel and make him the best hitter, protecting Jessica Telephone from being stolen by the Jazz Hands. Maybe we didn't win any blessings... But we kept Jessica and that's more than we could have asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

40-Degree Day posted:

I can only speak for the garages but everyone in this discord chat is so whiny about blessings. People are talking about depressive episodes because their favs didn't get more stars.

The current way of distributing blessings isn't a well-designed game mechanic. If your star player gets incinerated, at least you can laugh it off as a funny unlucky roll. It feels fair. When a very popular and already strong team gets most of the stat increases, it doesn't feel nearly as fair.

Don't get me wrong, most people will still log in tomorrow and this will all be largely forgotten, but it probably does want fixing. The best suggestion I've seen is to have a Blessings Draft

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Yeah with the anticaptalist theming, I hope they can figure out a way to discourage monopolistic behaviour.

I saw a tweet about Nagomi McDaniel having more stars than all of the Tacos combined and I thought it was a tongue-in-cheek joke but it's actually true

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
The game is going to get uneven too because people will flock to the best teams, getting them more votes and the best teams will have the most votes to spend. You kind of already saw it with this round of voting, the Crabs were able to get into the like twenty percent range with a bunch of different blessings. The Tacos all focused on Soul Swap and ONLY got 27% of the vote.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Check out the Idols page... there's a red dotted line that separates the top three Idols.

Maybe this is how they remove OP players from the league?

During rollover/pre-election/whatever, the big peanut said something about making idolising its pods.

There are three players with Peanut in their name (they used to have Dan in their name but now they have Peanut in their name):

Peanut Bong (Miami Dale)
Peanut Holloway (Philly Pies)
Peanutiel Duffy (Hades Tigers)

The Postman
May 12, 2007

InnercityGriot posted:

The Tacos all focused on Soul Swap and ONLY got 27% of the vote.

I think that was even with some teams agreeing to back off from it too.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tacos getting stuck in the Wild Low division and getting hit with the Blood Winner ("In the Blood Bath each season, this team must give stars to the team that finished first in their division") feels like a bit of insult to injury. Unless there's a hidden comeback mechanic, the Tacos are going to be struggling in the bottom and slowly losing stars for a while. Which, okay, I guess having the IBL equivalent of the Baltimore Orioles isn't the worst, but it's not like the team can suck it up, start over from scratch, and rebuild.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

40-Degree Day posted:

I can only speak for the garages but everyone in this discord chat is so whiny about blessings.

Discord containment has been breached.

https://twitter.com/blaseball/status/1302691862931632129?s=19
https://twitter.com/blaseball/status/1302692433214320641?s=19
https://twitter.com/blaseball/status/1302692915026698240?s=19
https://twitter.com/TurnipOnBlase/status/1302693348403220484?s=19

This is hopefully a bit tongue-in-cheek from a "player" Twitter account, but folks get a bit too attached to characters now and then. Please do not get real-life upset about Blaseball.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 6, 2020

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The Tacos would like to ask everybody to pick NaN as their idol.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Oh my god if you team wins two item lotteries and the rest of the league wins zero you do not get to complain, this is not hard!!! Do not make me go on a crochety old man "kids these days" rant about goddamn Blaseball!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

tinstaach posted:

Oh my god if you team wins two item lotteries and the rest of the league wins zero you do not get to complain, this is not hard!!! Do not make me go on a crochety old man "kids these days" rant about goddamn Blaseball!
We (crabs) lost the best player in the league to a division rival after a 1 in a 100 chance, but we were told not to complain about it by the team captains lol.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm already seeing ridiculous reactions to the potential fate of the top three idols. Some fans suspect the top three might be used as a blood sacrifice. The mere mention of this has people losing their minds.

Who knew people could get this invested in a multiplayer idle game?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Carteret posted:

Check the blood team perks too... This is going to turn into calvin ball quickly and I LOVE IT

And the leagues got renamed?

And realigned. The Highs and Lows are the top and bottom finishers from last season.

As for the Tacos, the other Blood effects might make up for things. The Firefighters (et al.) have Blood Pity, which sends stars to the lowest team.

The whole splort is about chaos, and I don't think some people realize that. I also don't think those people realize that IRL sports are about chaos as well.

Edit:

The Crabs somehow maxed out four different Blessing categories, though, and that seems unusual. The lottery mitigates it somewhat, but I can't say that it feels good knowing that your votes only sort of matter because ultimately it's still random. It feels like bad game design when something that can be as absurdly powerful as some of these effects have been are seemingly arbitrary.

Yes, I recognize this goes against my last paragraph, but I'm coming at it from a design standpoint. If something is going to be random, don't give the players a false sense of hope that what they're doing matters. It's the blaseball equivalent of We Tried.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 6, 2020

doos
Jan 1, 2015

OB_Juan posted:

The Tacos would like to ask everybody to pick NaN as their idol.

NaNaMaNIa is runnin wild

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

The Crabs somehow maxed out four different Blessing categories, though, and that seems unusual.

The Crabs have a very active team discord with a set of people who are heavily organizing vote casting. Which when combined with one of the largest fanbases (at least per this discord) turns into a really disciplined and sizable voting bloc. I do find it kind of weird that people are seeing the Crabs as this Tigers-esque powerhouse when they were poor to average for seasons 1-4 and even optimistic Crabs fans didn't see us topping our division in the past one. It will be interesting to see how they tweak blessings though to try an account for fanbase size disparities.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Tibalt posted:

We (crabs) lost the best player in the league to a division rival after a 1 in a 100 chance, but we were told not to complain about it by the team captains lol.

That's totally vaild though! As long as it's "aw shucks what a bummer" type of complaining and not "I demand the commisioner reverse this decision" complaining, and it's not all you talk about for the whole week, people should be able to lament the loss of their team's best players.

TBH I hope some of the top players get sacrificed or incinerated or whatever, if only to remind people that hey, some weird and entertaining poo poo is going to happen whether or not you like Player X or Team Y.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

tinstaach posted:

That's totally vaild though! As long as it's "aw shucks what a bummer" type of complaining and not "I demand the commisioner reverse this decision" complaining, and it's not all you talk about for the whole week, people should be able to lament the loss of their team's best players.
Yeah, a large segment of the discord is pretty grumbley about it, but a.) Crabs already have a reputation for being mean poo poo-talkers (:rolleyes:)
and b.) We don't want to become the IBL Yankees that everyone else hates until, you know, we make it to the finals at least.

Personally, I think everything has been changing so dramatically each season that I will wait and see what the Blood Bath does before freaking out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

so the Garages didn't get squat in the lotteries (again), there's Idols where we can choose a favorite player, and apparently the Garages are a Blood Donor - donating stars to lower-ranked teams in their own division?

so we're a high-payroll team that didn't land any free agent stars but still somehow have to pay in for the luxury tax. Huh.

I almost wish they'd do these major changes every other week, just to let things stay stable for a bit longer, but I'm fine for the most part. Also very very glad the Jazz Hands got moved to the other league. Less happy to play the Tigers more often.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tibalt posted:

Personally, I think everything has been changing so dramatically each season that I will wait and see what the Blood Bath does before freaking out.

That's the thing. We don't know how the Idols will come into play at the end(?) of the Season. (I doubt that any Idols will be sacrificed prior to the end of the playoffs, but this is Blaseball.)

Like others, my guess is that the top Idols get sacrificed. The game needs a pressure valve mechanic to get rid of players that dominate the game. Plus, it would potentially keep a team from controlling the league because there's no way they could stop the other teams from picking the best player because it makes the most economic sense in the game. I mean, I love you Baby Urlacher but I'm going to siphon coins off of Nagomi Mcdaniel until the are led into Bloodhouse.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pinwiz11 posted:

That's the thing. We don't know how the Idols will come into play at the end(?) of the Season. (I doubt that any Idols will be sacrificed prior to the end of the playoffs, but this is Blaseball.)

Like others, my guess is that the top Idols get sacrificed. The game needs a pressure valve mechanic to get rid of players that dominate the game. Plus, it would potentially keep a team from controlling the league because there's no way they could stop the other teams from picking the best player because it makes the most economic sense in the game. I mean, I love you Baby Urlacher but I'm going to siphon coins off of Nagomi Mcdaniel until the are led into Bloodhouse.

Yeah good point I think I'll change idols again to a rival

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I imagine the last couple days of this season are going to be nuts with people scrambling to change up the top 3 in hopes they save their beloved players and get rid of a rival.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I’m obviously going to wait and see on the results but the Tacos being in a division where everyone feeds stars into the top team just seems lame. The team has been in desperate need of even slight improvement and there’s a good chance they’ll be worse at the end of this season.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

The Postman posted:

I imagine the last couple days of this season are going to be nuts with people scrambling to change up the top 3 in hopes they save their beloved players and get rid of a rival.

If I were the devs (I'm not) I'd make the Idol Top 3 be based on the number of payouts during the season. If you switch mid-season the totals you accumulated for that Idol will remain, you'll just start adding to the new idol's current value. I don't know how to balance that between Hitting and Pitching, however.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh neat I just realized that when the Crabs got Axel Trololol he reverted to a goddamn pitcher and when we got Joshua Watson back his mediocre pitcher status got switched to a garbage batter to take Trololol's place.

This is almost as bad as The Great Peanutting.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pinwiz11 posted:

If I were the devs (I'm not) I'd make the Idol Top 3 be based on the number of payouts during the season. If you switch mid-season the totals you accumulated for that Idol will remain, you'll just start adding to the new idol's current value. I don't know how to balance that between Hitting and Pitching, however.
Balance it by ranking on total coins paid out for each idol

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Fortunately for everyone losing their minds over it, this week's election has a few parity-focused options in terms of swapping players. I'm guessing folks will vote for the Enhanced Party Time decree in large numbers in the spirit of camaraderie.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tinstaach posted:

Fortunately for everyone losing their minds over it, this week's election has a few parity-focused options in terms of swapping players. I'm guessing folks will vote for the Enhanced Party Time decree in large numbers in the spirit of camaraderie.

Why would I want to vote in the interest of the league? My team was on top and we did this on our own. Surely the other teams will protect my interests, for that will be protecting their own when they make it to the top.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

The new weather type Bloodrain also looks like it will have a leveling effect over the season potentially. In this first game the Crabs pitcher had his pitching stars dropped to 1 and all the excess transferred to a Yellowstone Magic player so no player is safe.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Let Chaos rain!

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Harry Lime posted:

The new weather type Bloodrain also looks like it will have a leveling effect over the season potentially. In this first game the Crabs pitcher had his pitching stars dropped to 1 and all the excess transferred to a Yellowstone Magic player so no player is safe.

It actually sucked the Crabs pitcher’s batting stats and have it to the Magic batter, so the crabs didn’t even get hurt really.

Vote for Enhanced Party Time btw you degenerates

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Season 5-6 improvements/regressions.

Oof Hawaii, of course Crabs

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

Season 5-6 improvements/regressions.

Oof Hawaii, of course Crabs

The Crabs/Firefighters moves are almost entirely due to the theft of Axel Trololol, a heist of epic proportions. Thankfully our batting didn't get that much worse, but their pitching is so much better now. We came out with an effectively lateral move, but with Trololol going back to his normal position, it's a huge boost for them. Which, like, good for them, but I'm absolutely hoping for chaosball on every level now.

Also really hoping the improved defense we have is gonna make the difference the rest of the Firefighters fans seem to think it will when they decided to pursue it so hard.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
I think a blessings draft would be very cool. But I think also that when a team 'ascends' they are gonna get deleted as a balancing mechanic so it's all gonna come out in the wash anyway. But yeah a lot of complaining in the discord, I'll be interested to see some balance stuff just so people have less to complain about. I've had to just completely leave any Blaseball focused discords so I can just have Blaseball go brrr

Also those top players are ABSOLUTELY getting sacrificed. The line's red!

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 8, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

After an inauspicious start, I gotta say it - I think the Crabs are good this season. We've only played 9 of our division games out of the 054 division games on our schedule, but I think we still have a relatively easy schedule. Plus the whole lineup is consistently good, so even if the worst happens and we lose Trololol or Fox, the team won't fall apart. Trololol isn't even the top 2 pitcher right now, it's James and Forbes.

I think the team strategy of going wide is definitely correct for the season, but I'm worried about the Blood Pity effect. I hope it's a set number of stars and not adjusted for record or star differential, otherwise we're going to turbo charge the Millis next season.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tibalt posted:

After an inauspicious start, I gotta say it - I think the Crabs are good this season. We've only played 9 of our division games out of the 054 division games on our schedule, but I think we still have a relatively easy schedule. Plus the whole lineup is consistently good, so even if the worst happens and we lose Trololol or Fox, the team won't fall apart. Trololol isn't even the top 2 pitcher right now, it's James and Forbes.

I think the team strategy of going wide is definitely correct for the season, but I'm worried about the Blood Pity effect. I hope it's a set number of stars and not adjusted for record or star differential, otherwise we're going to turbo charge the Millis next season.

"I think my favorite team which is 21-2 might be good".

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

StormDrain posted:

from the poster that brought you "im fuckin mad we lost the best player" after winning 4 blessings

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

StormDrain posted:

We were something like 45-20 in Season 4 before we got knocked out of the playoffs, and we lost in the first postseason series in Season 5. I'm holding off judgment until we make the semifinals.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lone Goat posted:

from the poster that brought you "im fuckin mad we lost the best player" after winning 4 blessings

crabs fans are so out of touch, they really are the patriots

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
as a lifelong philly fan, I'm looking forward to the Pies doing well in the early days of the splort and then never having success again till we unseat the 7x ascended crabs in Blaseball season 52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Lotta stuff happened last night so let me try to compile all of it:

- Dickerson Morse bloodrained Oritz Morse's baserunning
- Forrest Bookbaby was incinerated and replaced by Alston Cerveza
- Richmond Harrison and Fish Summer switched teams in feedback
- Valentine Games and Conrad Vaughn switched teams in feedback
- Montgomery Bullock bloodrained Alaynabella Hollywood's pitching ability
- Antonio Wallace and Lachlan Shelton switched teams in feedback
- Francisca Sasquatch and Wyatt Owens switched teams in feedback

LEAGUE THOUGHTS:

- The Crabs are insane and deserve a Tame the Tigers style decree, Crush the crabs or something. They are way more dominant than any blaseball team has ever been.
- The Moist Talkers took a heavy fall from grace, and the Hawaii Fridays are at the bottom of their division, two over performing teams from last season got hit with the regression bat, plus league realignment.
- The Wild Low division is hilariously incompetent and all but one of those teams will likely get even worse by next season because of blood winner, unless they win the division buff decrees.
- Even when a feedback happens for the Tacos, they can only get a worse or even result. Sucks man.