Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

quick ngu question that's puzzling the bejesus out of me

i have stats

i purchase some adventure power

my base power raises. both my total power and total toughness raise

what is causing this. is it cube-related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i have stats

Only possibility I'm aware of is that your cube stats are softcapped. Not sure how the math on power+toughness works out though.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i have stats

Adventure stats are a multiplier of Attack and Defense, respectively, and have been since the start of the game. It's very, very easy to not notice since A/D isn't very important for most of the game and has many, many factors that cause it to go up.

It's even kind of strange how the stats breakdown shows it, base Power/Toughness increases base A/D but equipment P/T gets it's own entry in "Equipment modifier".

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Manyorcas posted:

Adventure stats are a multiplier of Attack and Defense, respectively

right but i'm not asking why attack/defense are rising, i'm asking why buying Power causes my Toughness to rise

anyway i had a sudden flash of inspiration and suspect it's because i've got the Bear(d) running. i figure purchasing stats causes a recalculation in all the displayed values. tried it by purchasing max health +10 at a time for a while and yeah, saw the power/toughness rising.

it's beards. it's always been beards...

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, so I've finished Greasy Nerd v2 and v3 is a huge wall. Should I instead rebirth and head for boss 158 and farm up the Meta Land set, then work on v3?

You either farm meta and then idp or go straight to idp. I briefly cover both in the steam guide.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Are the Steam chat and autosave in WAMI supposed to be broken?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Are the Steam chat and autosave in WAMI supposed to be broken?

It's not 'supposed' to be, but their server dies pretty frequently, so it's not exactly a surprise when it's down.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm noticing a weird bug in Meta Land in NGU where if you defeat either of the zone bosses, the boss will disappear and you'll get the No Enemy display, and then when the next enemy appears and you do damage to it it'll continue to say you're fighting the boss for a few hits, after which you get the enemy defeated message and the drop. It seems like it's still taking HP from the newly-spawned enemy also.

e: Actually it looks like the drop happens at the appropriate time but the messages are being delayed and overwriting the early messages for the next fight? Super weird.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 3, 2020

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So far every piece I've managed to get to drop from Meta Land has been an immediate, level 1 upgrade from the corresponding level 100 Greasy Nerd item, which is pleasant! I'm used to having to harm up 20-30 copies of something before the starts justify replacing the previous item.

VVVVV
I find it charming!

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 4, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You guys every just click and drag items around the NGU interface? The screws holding it together are inconsistent, the items go over some of them and under others.

Just something I noticed while waiting for a quest to finish.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm noticing a weird bug in Meta Land in NGU where if you defeat either of the zone bosses, the boss will disappear and you'll get the No Enemy display, and then when the next enemy appears and you do damage to it it'll continue to say you're fighting the boss for a few hits, after which you get the enemy defeated message and the drop. It seems like it's still taking HP from the newly-spawned enemy also.

e: Actually it looks like the drop happens at the appropriate time but the messages are being delayed and overwriting the early messages for the next fight? Super weird.

The game has trouble handling messages that are longer than one line. Everything still happens.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
so i've hit a wall in The Prestige Tree (my game state: https://imgur.com/a/LGPcmNR)

there's only one challenge left ("slowed to a halt"), which seems impossible to complete atm.

the only possibility i can see is either in space config, or just grinding quarks & hindrance (extremely unappealing).

thanks for the help!

crime weed fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 5, 2020

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Remember the last time i posted here, like 100+ days ago. I do, because i just rebirhted in NGU and am currently just blasting through the evil challenges ><

lol

(and yeah, finishing a lvl 5 challenge in 24 sec's. the 120 sec rebirth min is killing me)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I've decided to give NGU a try, and I'm liking it. I joined the Discord. I have the same username there that I do here - Heliotrope.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

crime weed posted:

so i've hit a wall in The Prestige Tree (my game state: https://imgur.com/a/LGPcmNR)

there's only one challenge left ("slowed to a halt"), which seems impossible to complete atm.

the only possibility i can see is either in space config, or just grinding quarks & hindrance (extremely unappealing).

thanks for the help!

This game seems pretty cool.

E: Did you figure out how to progress? I'm now pretty much where you are in those screenshots, only one Quirk upgrade to go.
Further E: Oh my loving god I looked it up and luckily found a reddit thread with that exact problem. As it turns out, in the time halt challenge, the time resets if you prestige, so just pressing E to enhance a few times easily gets you the challenge.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 5, 2020

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Finally got my first yellow jackpot in NGU, after 3 years of playing. :dance:

Luckily it was the AP one

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

E: Oh my loving god I looked it up and luckily found a reddit thread with that exact problem. As it turns out, in the time halt challenge, the time resets if you prestige, so just pressing E to enhance a few times easily gets you the challenge.
:cripes::cripes::cripes:

thank you

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

How on earth are you supposed to get past Skip the Second? Is it just a bunch of quirk grinding?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

How on earth are you supposed to get past Skip the Second? Is it just a bunch of quirk grinding?

Not as much as you might think. You'll stall out on quirk/hindrance gain and run out of upgrades to shoot for and the challenge will clear without incident.

There's a fair bit of unavoidable waiting during the hindrance challenges, you tend to need to do absolutely everything else before you can clear the next one.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 6, 2020

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Kyrosiris posted:

This is where I'm currently stuck too, I grinded up to 40 each quirks/hindrance spirits but it's stalling out just before e2,300- did I not grind enough or do I just have to let this challenge sit for a while?

Also, is it always best to buy as many of the most expensive space buildings possible, or is it better to have a more equal number of all the buildings?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Manyorcas posted:

This is where I'm currently stuck too, I grinded up to 40 each quirks/hindrance spirits but it's stalling out just before e2,300- did I not grind enough or do I just have to let this challenge sit for a while?

Also, is it always best to buy as many of the most expensive space buildings possible, or is it better to have a more equal number of all the buildings?

The first space building seems to scale very poorly so I usually avoided putting much into it while space slots were limited. Sometimes your others will stick a bit and you can put a few into it to unstick them, up to around 10 or so.

You're getting to the point where you have enough random scaling mechanics that simply letting it sit for a bit can push you up over the next milestone or upgrade.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 6, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Space buildings are better from right-to-left. Not that it matters too much though as eventually you get far more space than generator power and an autobuyer for them.

Slowed To A Halt is the only challenge I've had to look up so far and it's just counter-intuitively pressing E (enhance reset). The very last one is a similar gimmick.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 6, 2020

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I got stuck on anti-enhancers for a bit and the advice reddit gave didn't work but I waited like half an hour for the next generator upgrade and it went through.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Space buildings are better from right-to-left. Not that it matters too much though as eventually you get far more space than generator power and an autobuyer for them.

Slowed To A Halt is the only challenge I've had to look up so far and it's just counter-intuitively pressing E (enhance reset). The very last one is a similar gimmick.

You're wrong about space buildings, the rightmost ones are so much better than the leftmost ones that it's actually more effective to respec your space every once in a while and buy all the right ones you can. That technique has moved me up 1 or 2 superboosters a few times. I don't think it's a good idea to say "gently caress it, I'll get an autobuyer eventually".
As for the last challenge, you don't need to do anything special, get more currency and upgrades and you can blaze through it.

I unlocked a Subspace upgrade that says "Placeholder" and that sapped all my desire to get the last few Balance and Magic upgrades.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 6, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Eh? As long as you grab the right ones first and fill in the rest it doesn't matter if a few get misplaced. I respecced maybe twice ever before it became automated. And yeah after The Final Stockade there's not much left to do besides a bit of exponential growth and then it's over for now.

And I wasn't kidding about there being a ton of free space.

Looking forwards to seeing what gets added later.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 6, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Yes, later on when it's automated anyway. Before it got automated I would be at, say, 14/7 of the rightmost buildings because I bought them as space became available and with a respec I could push it to 16/9 and instantly get the superboosters needed to do a row 4 reset without any waiting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Eh? As long as you grab the right ones first and fill in the rest it doesn't matter if a few get misplaced. I respecced maybe twice ever before it became automated. And yeah after The Final Stockade there's not much left to do besides a bit of exponential growth and then it's over for now.

Looking forwards to seeing what gets added later.

The changelog actually tells you when you should stop each update.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

What should I do after hitting 25 hindrance/25 quirks and all available upgrades, just grind quirks for the 4th quirk layer? I can't complete Skip the Second yet.

eta: I was able to do it, nevermind. :v:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 7, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty sure I did Skip the Second long before that point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Quepland 2 came out the other day. It has a lot of the same ideas as the first game but nothing's quite the same and the author seems convinced that it's not going to collapse under the weight of technical debt again any time soon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Trimps apparently updated for anyone who played it

https://trimps.github.io/updates.html

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jabor posted:

Pretty sure I did Skip the Second long before that point.

Yeah, it's counterintuitive because challenges at that point are the only thing that takes longer than 2 minutes or so, but sometimes you just gotta grind through those last e2000 points.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah, it's counterintuitive because challenges at that point are the only thing that takes longer than 2 minutes or so, but sometimes you just gotta grind through those last e2000 points.

One other thing that comes up sometimes is that you're often a lot closer than you appear. Like you might be e2000 away from the target and crawling along, but you're also only like e20 from a big step into some other feature in that particular run and once you get it it's just going to finish the rest of the challenge for you.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
https://jacorb90.github.io/Prestige-Tree/index.html If y'all ain't playing this (and I know people are talking about it here) you're missing out on pure unadulterated straight-to-the-veins incremental gameplay.

I blew through most of what was available in about 24 hours, I think - maybe a day and a half, but boy this was fun.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Alright, I am just Bad at NGU Idle, and I need some very early game tips. I have Yggdrasil and three titans unlocked, and I can't really progress in any meaningful timeframe, so I'm doing something wrong and missing something obvious. I've looked up a few beginner guides, and they're all "by the time you reach here, you should have about a hundred million energy" and "just drop a few million magic into this..."

I have three million energy and change, and coming up on a hundred thousand magic, so I think my issue is EXP gain, but the only thing I can think of to do is rebirth more often, but rebirthing and fighting through bosses gives a paltry couple hundred experience, and I need thousands and thousands to get even a small boost to magic. I can only fight the Grand Corrupted tree with a ton of Adventure stat powering up, roughly a day's worth... which would go faster if I had more Energy and all.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

John Lee posted:

Alright, I am just Bad at NGU Idle, and I need some very early game tips. I have Yggdrasil and three titans unlocked, and I can't really progress in any meaningful timeframe, so I'm doing something wrong and missing something obvious. I've looked up a few beginner guides, and they're all "by the time you reach here, you should have about a hundred million energy" and "just drop a few million magic into this..."

I have three million energy and change, and coming up on a hundred thousand magic, so I think my issue is EXP gain, but the only thing I can think of to do is rebirth more often, but rebirthing and fighting through bosses gives a paltry couple hundred experience, and I need thousands and thousands to get even a small boost to magic. I can only fight the Grand Corrupted tree with a ton of Adventure stat powering up, roughly a day's worth... which would go faster if I had more Energy and all.

It still takes me a while to remember that the ITPOD is basically the primary source of exp in the game, not killing bosses or titans.

Do you have that unlocked yet? If so, you should basically be idling in that for 24 hours (in your optimal zone) before rebirthing unless you're in a specific zone idling for gear.

You'll very slowly start to accumulate seeds from Yggdrasil. IIRC you wanna aim for unlocking and upgrading the one that gets you more seeds first as that then makes getting more seeds easier for upgrading the ones like exp and such.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Kin posted:

It still takes me a while to remember that the ITPOD is basically the primary source of exp in the game, not killing bosses or titans.

Do you have that unlocked yet? If so, you should basically be idling in that for 24 hours (in your optimal zone) before rebirthing unless you're in a specific zone idling for gear.

Yeah, I figured the ITOPOD was why I get more experience when offline. I'm idling in the Base, trying to max the Magitek set, after which I was going to stop aiming for set completion until I get the fancy Diggers I hear tell of. And I'm trying to get Yggdrasil up and running - the auto-grow upgrades for the fruit are relatively cheap, but I have to have a three million max Magic before I can auto-grow Pomegranates, which'll be 36k Experience, which is still an astonishing sum for me - I can get a few thousand a day, and ideally I'd be spending experience on magic power and bars as well. I suppose it wouldn't be TOO bad to get the 300,000 you need to grow Poms at all... but it'd still be a few days. I'll aim for that, and hope Yggdrasil is a solution all all my problems. There's an experience fruit! (that the ITOPOD perks inform me sucks)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Falcon2001 posted:

https://jacorb90.github.io/Prestige-Tree/index.html If y'all ain't playing this (and I know people are talking about it here) you're missing out on pure unadulterated straight-to-the-veins incremental gameplay.

I blew through most of what was available in about 24 hours, I think - maybe a day and a half, but boy this was fun.

SAME. It's the same guy who did Distance Incremental, except this game actually makes you feel like you're steering the ship. You actually have to choose your path down the prestige tree and there are a lot of good feeling mechanics going on. It really nails the flow from "resetting everything to get one of the next thing" to "now this resource is trivial and you get to watch it go to absurd numbers". It's very active, the only time you really need to idle at all is to push a couple of the challenges (hindrances) to get over some walls. It's good poo poo, though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Only problems I have are how often you have to repeatedly buy the same upgrades over and over before you can automate a layer, and how sometimes the path forward is just simply clicking a prestige button 30 times. That's par for the course though apparently, since Distance was the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm stuck at SB (I'm guessing super boosters?). I can get to 179 boosters but then I'm at around e4200 points and it's a massive grind getting further, any tips?