Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

PetraCore posted:

I'm going to crawl out on a limb and guess that Netzach's meltdown is going to involve stress over you not letting him die, which is... pretty dark, but not out of the norm for what we've seen.

Either that or we find out enkephalin overdoses put you in some horrible manic-psychotic state. Especially when combined with Bear brand beer.

But most likely he hates you for not killing him. Which raises questions as to how the whole "get crushed then come back" thing works. If what comes back is a copy of the original, then Netzach could just kill himself immediately until they have no choice but to get another "template" to replace him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah, but presumably his issue is that such an action doesn't solve anything. Nets gets crushoed, and Nets Mk. II walks in like nothing happened. What Nets PROBABLY wants is for his line to be terminated, no reincarnations/reboots to happen. And possibly for no one to succeed him in his Sisyphean taks, as then they too would be damned to what he is

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

mercenarynuker posted:

Yeah, but presumably his issue is that such an action doesn't solve anything. Nets gets crushoed, and Nets Mk. II walks in like nothing happened. What Nets PROBABLY wants is for his line to be terminated, no reincarnations/reboots to happen. And possibly for no one to succeed him in his Sisyphean taks, as then they too would be damned to what he is
Right - even if one version of himself is killed, another is made and has to live out the absurd hell he's stuck in. He strikes me as well and truly suicidal, he doesn't want a reset button, he wants out.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Either that or we find out enkephalin overdoses put you in some horrible manic-psychotic state. Especially when combined with Bear brand beer.

But most likely he hates you for not killing him. Which raises questions as to how the whole "get crushed then come back" thing works. If what comes back is a copy of the original, then Netzach could just kill himself immediately until they have no choice but to get another "template" to replace him.

Hasn't Netz said that he's "not allowed" to die, whatever that means? In any case, if he's really a boxbot like all the others, then killing himself is significantly more difficult than just making a noose. Angela probably won't let him use the crusher they used to "deactivate" Tiphereth.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So the question is what happens after the day ends. Malkuth is 100% getting terminated for her actions today, but do we get a replacement like with Tiphereth B, or do we write the whole thing off as a loss and scrap the template itself entirely? Angela can cover her job anyways, why risk a repeat of this catastrophe?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I dunno, I mean once she calms down I don't see any reason Malkuth can't keep doing her job despite looking like she does now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh hey, it's Malkuth!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
See? She can hold so many more clipboards now!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The real question is what she looks like now without the filter.

EDIT: Also it's possible that helping Malkuth work through her issues means she'll be significantly more stable after. It's a bit of a hail mary, but if that's where the narrative goes, it'd be counterproductive to reset her.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Since it's completely optional to do the suppressions and the AIs operate as normal until you do, but Angela is pretty clear that it's important to do them, there's presumably some payoff other than just smooshing that incarnation and moving on.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Quackles posted:

Oh hey, it's Malkuth!

This took way longer to get than I'm willing to say

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

I still don’t get it.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
The name doesnt say Malkuth, its says MalkUwUth.

Also a neat thing, if you look in her tendrils you can see the remains of her robotic shell. So it seems that whatever THAT is broke/grew out of the robot body. Puts a new spin on the blood and guts that came out of Tippy when he got smushed, huh?

Chaosbrain fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 6, 2020

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The ‘WARINING’ typo plastered all over those screens is really bugging me. It’s not even consistently wrong!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

malkuth was in charge of the warning screens too

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
So nobody is going to post a picture of the green robots next to our boxy overlords? Looking at both there are not as many similarities as I remembered.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

King of Bleh posted:

The ‘WARINING’ typo plastered all over those screens is really bugging me. It’s not even consistently wrong!

Sure it is; the entire top line is misspelled and the entire bottom line is correctly spelled. If the pic is in-game and not made by TeeQueue, I bet there's a basic "looping text" framework in the code that forms the image and the bit that designates what goes in the top line has a typo. There's no reason to make all these "meltdown" pages by hand if they all have basically the same layout; designing a template and filling in the appropriate fields is quicker and ensures they'll be pretty uniform.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

So I went back to check, and yeah no Malkuth's pen wasn't one with a ducky head previously. So after transforming into the Notebook Nightmare, Malkuth went out of her way to grab a new pen.

This is entirely in character for her, isn't it.

also looking at previous updates holy god Malkuth's many many many problems were sitting right there the whole time and we mostly ignored them until it was becoming absurdly clear she was going to be the first Sephirah to snap

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

lets hang out posted:

malkuth was in charge of the warning screens too
I think you mean MalkuWuth

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Bloody Emissary posted:

Sure it is; the entire top line is misspelled and the entire bottom line is correctly spelled. If the pic is in-game and not made by TeeQueue, I bet there's a basic "looping text" framework in the code that forms the image and the bit that designates what goes in the top line has a typo. There's no reason to make all these "meltdown" pages by hand if they all have basically the same layout; designing a template and filling in the appropriate fields is quicker and ensures they'll be pretty uniform.

The in-game version works exactly like you just described.

The version that I used in my boss graphic was made by Mizure, who did a great job copying the original, down to the typo at the top.

mizure
Apr 14, 2020

Mizu "Just Mizu" Mizu, reporting for cutie!

TeeQueue posted:

The in-game version works exactly like you just described.

The version that I used in my boss graphic was made by Mizure, who did a great job copying the original, down to the typo at the top.

AS GOD AND ANGELA INTENDED

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So I have just personally taken note of the phrase "Manifestation of Qlipha" in that boss banner. As far as I'm aware, we we don't have any context for the meaning of Qlipha/Qliphoth. I'd assumed it was just a label on the containment whatevers, but Malkuwuth (drat, I'm gonna be calling her that all the time now, aren't I?) being referred to as a manifestation of it is something I think belongs on the mounting list of Unnerving Things in this game.

All that said, I present a realistic rendition of my face during this update, and repeated upon seeing that terrifying fanart of her breaking:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

mizure posted:

AS GOD AND ANGELA INTENDED

I suppose I should thank you as well, then, since the version I used to make my picture was stolen from TQ.

azren posted:

All that said, I present a realistic rendition of my face during this update, and repeated upon seeing that terrifying fanart of her breaking:

Thanks, and you're welcome!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Thank you for finally posting something that could even remotely accurately described as my face during that update.

Malkuth is currently the absolute most terrifying thing in the facility and for good reason.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
poo poo Just Got RealTM

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

the Orb of Zot posted:

Malkuth is currently the absolute most terrifying thing in the facility and for good reason.

Nonsense, Mizu is right there!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't think pressing 5 is enough for this LP. We need a 6.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Nonsense, Mizu is right there!

Mizu is not currently attempting to murder the manager for something he didn't do*, is working to aid the corporation in day-to-day work rather than trying to ruin everything to spite a single person, and is slightly less horrifying to look at or converse with.

*X may actually be A and thus 100% guilty of what Malkuth is accusing him of, in which case he deserves to die because Elijah did not deserve in the slightest such a terrible fate and Malkuth should take over as the new facility manager in his place :colbert:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Another fun observation: we're told that the secret project that killed Ellijah was "Cogito." The main association that I've ever seen with that word is via the famous statement by Descartes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogito,_ergo_sum. So it explicitly references thought, and would be a logical codename for a project to develop artificial intelligence in some form.

Descartes, of course, is also largely associated with philosophical skepticism, which gave us the Cartesian demon and its modern-day equivalent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat. So it does seem like another sly nod toward the AIs being brain-boxes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the Orb of Zot posted:

*X may actually be A and thus 100% guilty of what Malkuth is accusing him of, in which case he deserves to die because Elijah did not deserve in the slightest such a terrible fate and Malkuth should take over as the new facility manager in his place :colbert:

she's the one who chose to drink hyper bleach or whatever

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Maybe she wouldn't have been so desperate to inject a horrible helldrug into herself if management hadn't kept spurning her.
Even then, doesn't change the fact that she was begging for death and her boss refused to even acknowledge her existence to the bitter end.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

the Orb of Zot posted:

Thank you for finally posting something that could even remotely accurately described as my face during that update.

She's the most overtly terrifying thing. I'm significantly more scared of Angela in the grand scheme of things, but right now? gently caress is Malkuth scary!

edit:

the Orb of Zot posted:

If X is actually A, that doesn't mean that X deserves to die, even if we allow the idea that anyone deserves to die. Even if we do allow that, if X ends up being an actually different person than A, it's hard to defend killing X for things that A did.

azren fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 7, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

lets hang out posted:

she's the one who chose to drink hyper bleach or whatever

the Orb of Zot posted:

Maybe she wouldn't have been so desperate to inject a horrible helldrug into herself if management hadn't kept spurning her.
Even then, doesn't change the fact that she was begging for death and her boss refused to even acknowledge her existence to the bitter end.
Yeah, this. She did a real dumb thing but it also sounds like she didn't get proper support for her issues and was left to flounder and struggle. I don't think she's stupid and I don't think she's incapable, it sounds like she really struggles to focus and organize information in her head, which can be an actual learning disorder with treatments. Now she's stuck in a situation where if she messes up, people brush it off as same old scatterbrain Malkuth, but when she can handle her job easily and direct her department, she's ignored because X has newer departments to focus on. Her methods are extreme, but she relies on them because they're the only things she's found that work for her... perhaps if people listened to her more and helped her function, she wouldn't need to be so rigid. I admit I'm projecting and leaping to her defense because I have ADHD and a lot of her stuff resonates with me. Taking the experimental serum that killed her seems like a last ditch cry for help, not something she'd have done otherwise, and then her literal cry for help was ignored.

I'm. Uh. Not sure if you can give a meat robot ritalin, though.

azren posted:

If X is actually A, that doesn't mean that X deserves to die, even if we allow the idea that anyone deserves to die. Even if we do allow that, if X ends up being an actually different person than A, it's hard to defend killing X for things that A did.
Also this. It sounds like A has a high probability of sucking and is either dead or has ditched the day to day struggles of LobCorp, but X, especially as narratively written by TQ, is genuinely trying.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 7, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

King of Bleh posted:

Another fun observation: we're told that the secret project that killed Ellijah was "Cogito." The main association that I've ever seen with that word is via the famous statement by Descartes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogito,_ergo_sum. So it explicitly references thought, and would be a logical codename for a project to develop artificial intelligence in some form.

Descartes, of course, is also largely associated with philosophical skepticism, which gave us the Cartesian demon and its modern-day equivalent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat. So it does seem like another sly nod toward the AIs being brain-boxes.

Did the original Korean version of LobCorp actually spell out the Latin word for :thunk: as 'cogito' using western alphabet, or was that a change for localization so that native-English-reading audiences would more readily understand [this is a placeholder noun for some sort of Fictitious Thing That Will Never Be Mentioned Outside This Cutscene, so don't sweat the details.] because we're so accustomed to seeing Latin words/phrases/idioms randomly kludged into sentences that we often don't even notice that we're doing it?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

silentsnack posted:

Did the original Korean version of LobCorp actually spell out the Latin word for :thunk: as 'cogito' using western alphabet, or was that a change for localization so that native-English-reading audiences would more readily understand [this is a placeholder noun for some sort of Fictitious Thing That Will Never Be Mentioned Outside This Cutscene, so don't sweat the details.] because we're so accustomed to seeing Latin words/phrases/idioms randomly kludged into sentences that we often don't even notice that we're doing it?

I looked at a video, they wrote "코기토" which is phonetically "ko-gi-to".
The same way it's written on Korean Wikipedia's article about Descartes' statement: https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%EC%BD%94%EA%B8%B0%ED%86%A0_%EC%97%90%EB%A5%B4%EA%B3%A0_%EC%88%A8

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

silentsnack posted:

When I was doing my attempt at Malkuth's Core Suppression, I noticed that the application of Cogito is mentioned as one of the work steps that overlay the containment unit whenever a work is done. I forget what kind of work it was used on, though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

the Orb of Zot posted:

Mizu is not currently attempting to murder the manager for something he didn't do*, is working to aid the corporation in day-to-day work rather than trying to ruin everything to spite a single person, and is slightly less horrifying to look at or converse with.

Right, but to Mizu, even what Malkuth currently is is a cutie with heckin' vitals. I don't think we've ever seen the agents or clerks with the filter weakened either, right?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

So you think the other Sephirah are just sitting in a break room somewhere watching all this go down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Solitair posted:

When I was doing my attempt at Malkuth's Core Suppression, I noticed that the application of Cogito is mentioned as one of the work steps that overlay the containment unit whenever a work is done. I forget what kind of work it was used on, though.

"Allocating 37% Cogito" is an Instinct work message