Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's fair. But its not like that was homelander lasers. So I guess some other supe? But then again the question, why not the boys?

But I guess its meant to be an obvious mystery. Just seems like the boys should discuss how loving weird that was.

I was thinking more along the lines of something pharmaceutical. Something that was injected beforehand and triggered under certain circumstances. For example getting or figuring out damning evidence on Vought.

Or like, nanobots, son.

Let's see if we will find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking it was a supe. They may have just had a limit on how many they can pop at one time, or could have been under orders to only pop the CIA agent. The penalty for breaking the rules (as attested to by Maeve) is rather graphic, so it's far FAR better to err on the side of caution than risk Black Noir playing clue with your head and torso.

Or it could be as simple as line of sight. It took time to pop the agent's head, and the boys were loving GONE after a second of just freaking out. No line of sight, no brain boom.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Bust Rodd posted:

Love Sausage now & forever

If they don't ever have him in the show I will be crushed :(

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Comic book head exploding in the comics the more is a radio wave device (Or gas can’t remember) that can be tuned to pop the head of anyone exposed to compound V. But Raynor isn’t a supe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's fair. But its not like that was homelander lasers. So I guess some other supe? But then again the question, why not the boys?

But I guess its meant to be an obvious mystery. Just seems like the boys should discuss how loving weird that was.

Without Rayner the Boys have nothing. They're five fugitives from the law with no resources. Why should Vought care about them?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So what kind of leverage does Butcher's wife that she was able to bargain for his life? She's locked inside of a supermax compound with Superman, and it's not like she could stop him from doing whatever it is he feels like doing at any particular moment.

At first I thought it was a "leave him alone and I'll pretend to play nice in front of the kid" thing but that seems out the window, so it's hard to imagine what else would prevent Homelander from just popping Butcher like a water balloon.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Homelander was raised without parents and both he and vought recognise that as a mistake, she has the leverage that as long as she’s alive super kid has a mom.

E; oh you meant to save Butchers life. I guess there’s no real point in killing him from Homelanders POV. He can’t hurt him and homelander has his wife.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I think one of the trailers for S2 may have an almost definitive answer to what is causing Raynor's head to explode.
There's a supe in some kind of psych ward exploding people.

E: vvvv yeah, that.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 7, 2020

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8fFM1ZdWo

1m45s ish if you're curious.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the only thing that makes sense as to why the boys wouldn't be immediately attacked is if it was some kind of remote device specifically targeting Raynor. Like Vought has explosives implanted in all CIA agents necks or something.

But the timing is still pretty suspect, like, they'd have to be listening in?

It could be as something simple as a head-popping Alexa implant, tuned to specific phrases or keywords.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

etalian posted:

Just when you though they could not top the hilarious dolphin road kill death scene in season 1.
Now I’m already looking forward to what they’ll do for season 3’s comedy aquatic animal murder.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think in the back of my head I realized that Stormfront was modeled after Loomer but I didn't quite get it while watching.

Comics:
I'm pretty sure that they are going to go with the Noir reveal after the super terrorist villain exploded and he was unharmed. I'm guessing that they'll have Antony Starr with a burn mark on his face. I don't know how I feel about the reveal in the first place, part of me thinks it would be better to just never show his face.

I cannot wait to find out what the deal is with the Fresca.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think Stormfront is specifically modelled after Loomer - their politics might be similar but their personalities are completely different.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

A few things beside that left undiscovered that happen at some point:

Annie's mom ends up in the same room as the Boys and Annie, horrified at something they just saw.
Somebody explodes all over Ashley.
Somebody gets splattered all over a George Washington painting.
Homelander lasers a SWAT team member to pieces.
A-Train and the Deep share a drink.
A Polaris-styled white kid flings a couple of people back and the Boys van in a field.
At a rally with a bunch of signs supporting Stormfront, two jump out- "Remember the 59 (has hash marks under it", and "Who will they kill next"
Stormfront talks at that rally, Homelander watches from their HQ....and he is not pleased
The "laser my loving tits" scene
Black Noir smashes Annie's head into the Seven's table
The dog!
Maeve punches someone in a field

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Professor Shark posted:

Comics:
I'm pretty sure that they are going to go with the Noir reveal after the super terrorist villain exploded and he was unharmed.

That didn't happen, though. Black Noir was definitely harmed by the blast, and it wasn't even a big enough blast to ruin his whole costume.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Jedit posted:

That didn't happen, though. Black Noir was definitely harmed by the blast, and it wasn't even a big enough blast to ruin his whole costume.

Speaking of "power levels" is always a bit cheesy and we don't really have had that many physical confrontations with supes in the show, but in the comics Kimiko/The Female literally sandpapers her fingers away when she tries to slice up Stormfront, while she was able to cut open Black Noir in the show. Homelander is tougher than Stormfront, most likely, so BN probably isn't an Homelander clone in the show. Or they may have just have everything work differently in the series, since most of everything is different.

E: actually, Homelander was absolutely fine after the explosion at Stillwell's? Don't remember if he was inside the house or if he blitzed outside to save Butcher's life, though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I thought Raynor's head was exploded by not-Antman going up her nose, but nice catch on that trailer bit. That's our likely culprit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ZearothK posted:

I thought Raynor's head was exploded by not-Antman going up her nose, but nice catch on that trailer bit. That's our likely culprit.

Antman only explodes people by going up their butt.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just thought the CIA put a chip in their brain. If a psychic is remote detonating someone’s brain, it doesn’t make sense to me that the boys would live through that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

E: ^^^^^ if that's the supe's doing, and if we go by most representation of psychic we have in the media, maybe there's a limit to the reach/quantity of heads that can be exploded before he passes out.

ZearothK posted:

If we follow up on that trails, I wonder if that is Vought's safenet (or hell, even the US government's, now that Compound-V existence is not a secret anymore) in case Homelander goes rogue: I mean, it doesn't really matter how tough you are if someone can just give you a brain aneurism at a distance (even if he can't just blow up the Big Guy's head). The supe in question seems to be in a structure similar to the one Homelander was created, and it looks like The Boys are infiltrating the facility disguised as nurses (maybe to break him out?).

Also, it would probably mean that Vought is responsible for Raynor's killing.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 7, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The show is set in a world with super-powered dorks and y'all are debating genome-keyed Alexa nanogas implants? :wtc:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Well if you wanna change the subject :justpost:

The part where Eagle said something like "who attacks guys with TEC-9s with a bow?! But archery is timeless!" and the religious lady was mouthing the words "archery is timeless" right as he does, that was great.

Really good parody of the whole Hawkeye being in the Avengers thing.

E: Oh, also its real quick, but you can see when The Deep writes down his self-description when he's taking the "test", he mentions his "incredible lung capacity". (avoiding the gills)

I like how he remembered it was a bird of prey name but when with Raven instead of Eagle.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

GD_American posted:

A few things beside that left undiscovered that happen at some point:

Annie's mom ends up in the same room as the Boys and Annie, horrified at something they just saw.
Somebody explodes all over Ashley.
A-Train and the Deep share a drink.
A Polaris-styled white kid flings a couple of people back and the Boys van in a field.
At a rally with a bunch of signs supporting Stormfront, two jump out- "Remember the 59 (has hash marks under it", and "Who will they kill next"
Stormfront talks at that rally, Homelander watches from their HQ....and he is not pleased
The "laser my loving tits" scene
Black Noir smashes Annie's head into the Seven's table
The dog!

I agree with most of this, though the shot of Homelander reacting could be in response to anything. It'd be easy to cross cut that with Stormfront for a trailer.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I like how he remembered it was a bird of prey name but when with Raven instead of Eagle.

Speaking of narrative sleight of hand, I was absolutely sure Eagle was going to be part of some kind of Supe-AA, with the lady being his sponsor. I assume this is intentional, since a lot of what we get to see from the get go (offering snacks/sodas, the positive dialogue, "I was in a bad place like you", "she is someone very important to me" although they are not in a relantionship, the way the woman and Eagle speak in catchprhases) could be construed as some kind of intervention from an AA adjacent group - until the present the non-Dianetics book.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All of those scenes confused me because The Deep is absolutely acting and talking like he is smart enough to see how weird all their stupid bullshit is, and then he has the scene with his gills, and then he’s like 100% sold and talking like a zealot. I felt like we missed a scene or something, I was holding out hope that The Deep was figuring it out but I guess he really is supposed to be kind of a Bimbo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bust Rodd posted:

All of those scenes confused me because The Deep is absolutely acting and talking like he is smart enough to see how weird all their stupid bullshit is, and then he has the scene with his gills, and then he’s like 100% sold and talking like a zealot.
You missed where they preyed on his ego to manipulate him, as ChurchLady says "we can get you back into The Seven".

That's the wedge they needed.

And then in short order he gets to Heropose as they kill Lucy and oh god I tried to stop them but they were just so savage

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

All of those scenes confused me because The Deep is absolutely acting and talking like he is smart enough to see how weird all their stupid bullshit is, and then he has the scene with his gills, and then he’s like 100% sold and talking like a zealot. I felt like we missed a scene or something, I was holding out hope that The Deep was figuring it out but I guess he really is supposed to be kind of a Bimbo.

I got the exact opposite. The Deep is is too dumb to be properly indoctrinated so he calls bullshit on all the scientology stuff because he doesn't understand at all. He has the handwriting of a 3rd grader and the woman flat out says he doesn't have enough of an internal life to work with. When he's spouting their lines he still doesn't really understand it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I got the exact opposite. The Deep is is too dumb to be properly indoctrinated so he calls bullshit on all the scientology stuff because he doesn't understand at all. He has the handwriting of a 3rd grader and the woman flat out says he doesn't have enough of an internal life to work with. When he's spouting their lines he still doesn't really understand it.

Yeah, Kevin is dumb as a sack of bricks.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I get the sense he's saying it because he has the idea that if you say all that stuff then that makes everything OK as a substitute for actual growth. Cults tend to rely on having a lot of babble you're not expected to understand, just parrot for acceptance. It's the zealotry of someone who's just been introduced to an idea rather than a true believer. Homelander immediately puncturing him by insulting his gills underlines it since if he was changed in any real way he'd be over it.

If you've ever seen Peep Show it's the same joke as the episode Jez mocks, and then briefly becomes, a Scientologist. Some people buy into stuff quick.

Unrelated observation: In the Dawn of the Seven storyboards its shown that A-train isn't an original member with some batman/wolverine looking guy instead.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 7, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A-Train being a diversity hire wouldn't surprise me.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

yeah I mean he probably is I'm just curious who the mystery guy is. In the comics there was a Mr Marathon who got accidentally pasted by Homelander but his outfit design doesn’t look like a speeder.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well there is still Lamplighter as well, who we know is coming.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

massive spider posted:

Unrelated observation: In the Dawn of the Seven storyboards its shown that A-train isn't an original member with some batman/wolverine looking guy instead.

We know Lamplighter was a member of the 7 before killing Mallory's nephews, although you're right, I don't think that is him based on the look.

EDIT: the Wolverine/Batman guy is Marathon Man. Lamplighter is the caped guy on the left in this image:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 7, 2020

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Spoiler from the trailer but we do explicitly see another supe who seems to have telekinetic power blow another person's entire body apart. So, I don't think there's any mystery about who killed Rayner.

e: \/\/\/ exactly, they are useful pawns for someone in this Vought civil war

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the only thing that makes sense as to why the boys wouldn't be immediately attacked is if it was some kind of remote device specifically targeting Raynor. Like Vought has explosives implanted in all CIA agents necks or something.

But the timing is still pretty suspect, like, they'd have to be listening in?

If there's a coup afoot, The Boys help distract Vought and muddy the situation.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thundercracker posted:

Dude I have the handwriting of a third grader.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Xenomrph posted:

Dude I have the handwriting of a third grader.

Would you like a Fresca?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Trailer spoilers:

GD_American posted:

Looks like Edgar's office

quote:

Look closer, they're wearing Vought gear

quote:

Pretty sure that's Stormfront she's punching

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

A-Train being a diversity hire wouldn't surprise me.

That Italian Guy posted:

We know Lamplighter was a member of the 7 before killing Mallory's nephews, although you're right, I don't think that is him based on the look.

EDIT: the Wolverine/Batman guy is Marathon Man. Lamplighter is the caped guy on the left in this image:

Also, based on the season 1 race storyline it seems like the Seven only want the fastest speedster in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wait a minute, if he's so shallow-minded then why come they call him the Deep??

I hope someone lost their job over that gaffe