Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I think some of the Ewoks also speak a real language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would be nice I’d a job was a right. Alas

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I don't know that they can speak other language but they can probably understand them.

I remember one of the running jokes in one of the EU Rogue or Wraith X-Wing series was that they wanted to put an Ewok in an X-Wing and put stilts on him so he could use the controls. And then later on they found that the Empire had actually done something like that. Because the Empire is awful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I decided to complete my marathon with watching Solo and Rogue One. I watched Solo last night and maybe because its been a while since I initially saw it but I really enjoyed it. I don't think its as good as Rogue One , but its definitely a good Star Wars story. It too bad that it's failure at the box office made Disney reconsider the stand alone films because Star Wars stand alone films where its not connected to the original trilogy were what I was really looking forward too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have mando coming up which is good .

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

All the OT languages are based on real languages, but the actual words aren't translatable. Ben Burtt recorded native speakers of the languages in order to get a sense of the language, and then brought in actors to mimic the recordings to use as the alien dialogue.

Ewoks speak Kalmyk Oirat and Huttese is Quechua.

For the prequels, they tried to do something similar. The reason the Neimoidians have vaguely racist asian accents is because they hired Thai people who couldn't speak english to read the lines phonetically, and then had the actual actors mimic their pronunciation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Rewatching Rogue One and my opinion now is that of the new Star Warses other than maybe the Last Jedi it's the best one they've done.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hollismason posted:

Rewatching Rogue One and my opinion now is that of the new Star Warses other than maybe the Last Jedi it's the best one they've done.

That's pretty much where I am. My rank is R1>Solo>TLJ>TFA>>>>>>TRoS because TRoS just sucked on multiple levels.

To me the worst thing about TRoS was how utterly forgettable it was - at least in terms of the enjoyable parts. And there were enjoyable parts. I have a vivid memory of leaving the movie theater (remember those?) and being completely unable to recall parts of the film that I'd just left five minutes earlier.

And I rated TLJ as low as I did because while it was a really good movie, it was a poor trilogy component.

Honestly the whole second trilogy felt a bit like two companies were contracted to provide bridge components and none of the three were especially compatible so the bridge as a whole was dysfunctional and prone to collapse.

I guess it "worked" in terms of making an assload of money for Disney, which good for Disney, I guess.

I will say that I have no real excitement about future Star Wars content. I'm still here for season two of The Mandolorian but nothing else they've mentioned stirs much of my interest (What did Ben Kenobi do between RotS and ANH? Well, on Star Wars: Rebels he killed Darth Maul in a two second lightsaber fight which was awesome but beyond that I don't know and don't really care. Hey what about that spy dude from R1? Again, don't know, don't care.

That noted, I'm very interested in the various Marvel series Disney is putting out, especially Wandavision and Loki. Figure a good portion of that comes from not botching the Marvel stuff.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
For some reason, my Google News feed has surmised based on Google algorithms that I am a 'Star Wars Fan' and as such, I'd be interested in every random click-bait article from various fan sites or YouTube videos.

There's an interesting throughline that I've noticed - so many of them have sensationalist statements like 'George Lucas has made a new edit of Rise of the Skywalker, fixing all the issues and making an amazing film! and George Lucas fires Kathleen Kennedy, thus saving the franchise and restoring it to its former glory!

Have we, the internet, collectively gone full circle once again back to idolizing George and wishing him back into the directors chair?

I'm imagining this must mostly be driven by the now-adults that grew up as children with the prequel trilogies and don't judge them as critically, same way most of us older fans revere the original films.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Lucas' involvement in the Disney films is as much as getting him to show up at event or two and a series of polite 'thankyou for your feedback' letters for his various suggestions about how the films should revolve around midichlorians.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
George Lucas made interesting, even amusing mistakes.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Turns out, when the choice of movie is between 'corporate hack job' and 'weird authorial vision' it looks like audiences prefer the latter. Much like the Snyder Cut.

Isometric Bacon posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Lucas' involvement in the Disney films is as much as getting him to show up at event or two and a series of polite 'thankyou for your feedback' letters for his various suggestions about how the films should revolve around midichlorians.

Funnily enough, you are! Lucas' involvement was handing a story outline to Disney, having Disney publically say they weren't using any of his ideas, and then use a lot of his ideas anyway. He didn't even show up for the Rise of Skywalker premiere.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
It's just weird how this narrative is popping up about him making a unique cut of the film with extra footage, like that's an actual thing that could exist, and it it even could, it would be able to save that trainwreck of a film.

I dunno, I actually dig the idea of seeing more Lucas star wars, not because I think it'd necessarily be any good, but he would totally take it in another direction whether through trying to push for something completely different or just plain spite.

I did love how in the height of the post prequel hate bashing and lead up to episode 7 at some point he announced that his plans for new star wars movies would have revolved around midichlorians.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lucas definitely has a massive troll streak.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its like other people have stated the reason the Prequels work is that at least there's something that's in them that has some sort of unifying vision even if Lucas just kind of made them seat of the pants using whatever ideas he liked.

Honestly if in 5 years they were to go back and redo the prequels with "updated" Special effects they'd be better received. Like they just kind of look like poo poo but new special effects would be amazing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My favorite Lucas story by far is him loving with the dev team of The Force Unleashed by suggesting progressively more infantile and ridiculous titles for the main character and them not realizing what he was doing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Its like other people have stated the reason the Prequels work is that at least there's something that's in them that has some sort of unifying vision even if Lucas just kind of made them seat of the pants using whatever ideas he liked.

Honestly if in 5 years they were to go back and redo the prequels with "updated" Special effects they'd be better received. Like they just kind of look like poo poo but new special effects would be amazing.

I wouldn't say that the prequels work, so much as it's possible to look at the overarching story and say "okay if we change this and we change that and we change this" then you can see a pathway to something that genuinely works.

It's a story of a master conspiracy by a Sith Lord to take over the galaxy. The Republic and the Jedi Order are crumbling institutions clinging to process and tradition but have lost their sense of purpose. Palpatine engineers a political/military crisis to get himself put in charge of the Republic. In the meantime he plants his poison-pill into the Jedi Order in the form of the child he's created who is ridiculously strong in the force because he's been artificially infused through means You Can't Learn From The Jedi. Qui-Gon Jinn is The Last Jedi (Sequel Trilogy really missed a trick here) who is trying to keep the Order to its spiritual roots and would be able to stop Anakin turning into a psychopath, so Palpatine's disposable apprentice is sent to assassinate him. The War starts and Palpatine uses it to gradually whittle down both the Republic and the Jedi until he's finally ready to destroy both in the same stroke.

If you gave that concept sketch to a different director and screenwriter then I think there's every reason to believe you get a really good trilogy of films out of it that tell the story that Lucas wanted to tell. You just can't say the same about the sequel trilogy because they aren't about anything.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alchenar posted:

I wouldn't say that the prequels work, so much as it's possible to look at the overarching story and say "okay if we change this and we change that and we change this" then you can see a pathway to something that genuinely works.

It's a story of a master conspiracy by a Sith Lord to take over the galaxy. The Republic and the Jedi Order are crumbling institutions clinging to process and tradition but have lost their sense of purpose. Palpatine engineers a political/military crisis to get himself put in charge of the Republic. In the meantime he plants his poison-pill into the Jedi Order in the form of the child he's created who is ridiculously strong in the force because he's been artificially infused through means You Can't Learn From The Jedi. Qui-Gon Jinn is The Last Jedi (Sequel Trilogy really missed a trick here) who is trying to keep the Order to its spiritual roots and would be able to stop Anakin turning into a psychopath, so Palpatine's disposable apprentice is sent to assassinate him. The War starts and Palpatine uses it to gradually whittle down both the Republic and the Jedi until he's finally ready to destroy both in the same stroke.

If you gave that concept sketch to a different director and screenwriter then I think there's every reason to believe you get a really good trilogy of films out of it that tell the story that Lucas wanted to tell. You just can't say the same about the sequel trilogy because they aren't about anything.

That’s the exact same narrative, except Quigon is like super smart, and perfect, and powerful. That and a “Palpatine is Anakin’s dad” twist.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

I don't know. I've had problems with the Prequels but at their base they work okay. In the New Testament of the Bible Jesus goes out into the desert and is tempted by Satan. The Star Wars Prequels are what happens when Jesus nods at the Devil and says, "You know what, that makes a lot of sense. Keep going, I want to hear more."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s the exact same narrative, except Quigon is like super smart, and perfect, and powerful. That and a “Palpatine is Anakin’s dad” twist.

I know that's the exact same narrative. The problem is that the prequels as they appear on screen are absolutely terrible at delivering that narrative. Nobody ever explains why the Republic is rotten. Phantom Menace makes it clear that Qui-Gon is philosophically distinct to the other Jedi, but neither he nor the problems in the Jedi order are mentioned again after he dies. The only subsequent scene is the one where Yoda and Samuel L Jackson agree that their power levels have diminished. 'The Prophecy' is mentioned a couple of times but the films make zero effort to explain what this Prophecy is, where it comes from, and whether the Jedi do or don't believe it. There's a Prequel film that wasn't made that follows this narrative and actually explores a Jedi order where the Jedi who believe in the mysticism are dying out and all that's left are people who think it's all about 'lifting rocks'.

Palpatine is Anakin's dad, the films just don't do anything other than hint extremely obliquely at it and force you to read between the lines and hope that was the intent. Imagine if you told Christopher Nolan that he had three films to build up to McDiarmid saying "even create life" and the payoff is Obi-Wan realising he's been set up to fail as a teacher. Same narrative, but there could have been such a much better film set from it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. Axe the bad special effects and worse dialogue and I think the prequels'd be a perfectly good triology!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The prequels take this bizarre approach where they show you what's going on. You get to see the Republic get paralyzed by corporate power. Then you watch its legislature surrender power to a dictator to conduct a pointless war, and eventually it embraces fascism wholeheartedly. You also see blatant hypocrisy among the Jedi Order, from model Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi all the way to the top levels. They discover some incredibly shady poo poo going on, but they cover it up—after all, it would make them look weak if people found out their powers were failing.

The liberal character believes so strongly in the form of liberal democracy that she willfully ignores all of this until it's too late. At the same time, she forgives the sins of a young man with alarming fascist sympathies and a murderous streak, just because he's a kinda hot guy who runs in her social circles, while his victims are nameless foreigners. You might say there's a certain parallelism here.

Alas, nobody turns to the camera and says, “Hey! Did you catch how The Phantom Menace ends with everyone forgetting the lessons they should have learned because their guy won the big election? Did you notice what colossal fools the Jedi are in Attack of the Clones, and did you see that their motivation for every move they make is that they don’t want to look bad?” Horrible writing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Not only does Padme know about Anakin , but Yoda does as well and just is kind of like " Welp things happen". Like how many people knew Anakin murdered a bunch of women and children.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The prequels may be debatably bad, but they aren't empty the way the new ones are.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At least the story makes sense overall. I still don't know what the Sequel Trilogy were suppose to be about. Prequel - Fall of Anakin , Rise of the Empire , OT - Destruction of the Empire. Sequel Trilogy ? Like visually the sequel Trilogy is better than the prequels but I have yet to be like " Okay this was memorable".

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

With TROS it turns out they were about killing an Overwatch boss

(I know Overwatch doesn't have bosses)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The ST is about how liberals are unprepared for resurgent fascism, but ultimately, all they need to do is bring back the beloved and charismatic black guy to unite everyone.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Little Death posted:

The prequels may be debatably bad, but they aren't empty the way the new ones are.

I might’ve seen it here, but it’s not my idea - the reason Star Wars talk always returns to the prequels is because at least there’s something to talk about. What do you even say about the Disney films? They vary in quality, but they’re very much what you see is what you get.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At least with prequels you get Lightsaber fights. I mean the lightsaber fights in the Sequel Trilogy are just between two people. At least in the prequels you get a lot of variety of lightsaber battles and a lot of them. Some of the prequel battles are not super great but there are some that are really well done.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The prequels gave us the Clone Wars series and, indirectly, Rebels. The Sequel trilogy gave us Resistance.

I will not be taking questions.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Never forget

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I mean, I guess one correct plot synopsis for the sequel trilogy is "They died."

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

They were going for some vague message about legacy and not beign tied by the past.

But the trick to making this trilogy mediocre and not truly terrible is not finishing it with a movie plot that's literally the equivalent of a mid tier power rangers episode or a bad JRPG. YEs TFA and TLJ were bad in many ways and didn't really work, but having the last movie be a fetch quest and a boss fight with literal anime laser explosions and sudden power level changes negated whatever little structure or meaning you could glean from the story.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mllaneza posted:

The prequels gave us the Clone Wars series and, indirectly, Rebels. The Sequel trilogy gave us Resistance.

I will not be taking questions.

Whether you hate it or love it, no one can deny that the Prequel Era probably had highest quality per capita of good EU. From books to video games to comics to happy meal toys, it managed to put as much good stuff out in five years as the OT EU had for the last 20. And as a side effect it made new stuff set in the OT era step up its game. Everybody won. The sequels have given us a Modern Battlefield reskin made to prey upon gambling addiction, and like half a dozen comics and novels whose primary purpose is to explain potholes in the movies (which they all do while contradicting each other) rather than be good stories.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What were the good prequel era books. I feel like I read most of them as a broke brained star wars youth, but in general they were pretty blah. Shatterpoint, the jedi mash books, and the one about yoda I guess? Admittedly perhaps blah was an improvement over the OT EU books, which were mostly actively repulsive

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Captain Splendid posted:

I mean, I guess one correct plot synopsis for the sequel trilogy is "They died."

:lmao: they really did take that note, didn't they

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think when the plot reveal for the movie was handled in a Fortnite event, that was a sign that things weren't going great.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What kind of star wars branded fortnite swag could you get during the course of all that, the inquiring mind wonders. Probably some Good rear end poo poo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh my God. It's been upgraded with new footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzlkSjFXRlM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

What were the good prequel era books. I feel like I read most of them as a broke brained star wars youth, but in general they were pretty blah. Shatterpoint, the jedi mash books, and the one about yoda I guess? Admittedly perhaps blah was an improvement over the OT EU books, which were mostly actively repulsive

The Revenge of the Sith novelization was better than the movie (and written by the same author as Shatterpoint). The Republic Commando books were pretty good, though soured a little bit by Karen Traviss' other Star Wars books where she turned every character into a fanatic Mandalorian worshiper, not just the vat-grown clones who latched onto it due to having no real culture of their own.

I also remember liking the Jedi Apprentice books as a kid, which followed Obi-Wan's training with Qui-Gon and started with the threat of him being shipped off to a farm because he was a remedial 13 year old who no one wanted to take as an apprentice.