Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

KingKapalone posted:

My heir kept the primary petty kingdom title and the Earl title for the holding. My second son got the second petty kingdom and the 2nd Earl listed. My third son got the last Earl of Dublin. I didn't make the Title for Duchy of Meath since I was trying to save for King so I think that's why I lost Athlone in the middle of all that as it was removed from the realm. Should I create that Duchy and give it to my heir so he has it already? Should I give him all the Earl titles too?

I was so close to King, but I see that my heir has no claim to King. How would I get that back? Even if I fight my brothers it seems like I just have that land.

Regarding giving titles to your heirs, under confederate partition, you can only give titles to your children if they stand to inherit them upon death. So if hypothetically you'd created the petty kingdom of Meath before your character's death, you'd only have been able to give that to your third son, and he'd have become independent like the second. Same with the earldoms, you wouldn't have been able to grant Dublin to your first son, since it's earmarked for your third. Confederate Partition makes it really hard to expand, but if you can create the Kingdom of Ireland, then your children will be dukes under you as king, making things a bit easier since they stay in the realm.

Don't worry about the claim thing for your heir, since Ireland doesn't exist it doesn't really matter. It just reflects the fact that the father of the guy you play in the tutorial was High King until 1063 when his vassals deposed him and the kingdom was destroyed. If you have enough counties, since it doesn't exist that will be enough to create the kingdom, claim or no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Regarding prestige, tribals and martial trees. In one of my first games and the one I put in the most time in before my current run as Anjou (where I'm now the ruler of western France), I started as the 1-county Turkic chiefdom of Jend and I allied both of my neighbors and did no expansion at all with my first ruler, just constantly answering calls to arms and using the accumlated prestige to build up what essentially became pretty much an invincible army of horse archer men-at-arms.

I never took the majesty focus with the first guy (though it is very useful for tribals, especially as you get bigger, don't get me wrong), and focused pretty much entirely on the martial tree. Filling out the strategist tree first and oh boy does it synergize well with having horse archer men-at-arms.

Like horse archers are powerful on their own for sure, but they also counter skirmishers and bowmen. The AI kind of loves to build light foot MAA, which are cheap and actually have values for all the stats so iof you can get alot of them they actually are quite good. But. They are countered hard by horse archers, even more so when you're not in forests or jungles and such. Anyway one of the first strategist perks gives bonuses to horse archers and lgith cav, great, take that one, makes a great unit better. The second increases the effectiveness of all unit counters, so your horse archers who already were really powerful and countered what is likely the most common men-at-arms out there, now just eat them the gently caress up, probably even in terrain where the light foot would have the advantage. Then you've got boosts to movement speed (which is always good, because the AI is going to be running the gently caress away from these armies) and the reduced retreat loses in the middle (occasionally you'll get into a losing fight so that helps, and horse archers have good screening stat also so it helps more with them). The first one on the right isn't going to be that relevant until you get siege weapons unfortunately, but the second one increases raid speed and supply limit can be very useful. Cap it all off with the strategist trait which increases enemy fatal casualties and removes river crossing disadvantage for you and you can just hunt down those enemy armies and see them melt before you.

(also note the prestige gain here, that goes straight into more horse archers)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Gasmask posted:

I always played to avoid them in CK2 but spending some time as a kid is actually quite a bit more fun now. Paradox seem to have added a lot more event types for that part of the game (bullying/being bullied, crushing etc) and it doesn't feel like so much of a pointless waste of time as it used to. I did quite like how important regents could be in CK2, but it really gimped your ability to do certain things when you were regented.

it is a lot more fun to play as a kid, however there's absolutely no reason why I as a 12 year old boy can't manufacture the murder of a nearby rival, wtf Paradox patch that poo poo in

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Blorange posted:

Check if you're running ultra low latency mode in the Nvidia control panel, you don't need it for CK3 and it'll run up the power usage like mad.

*Edit* Might have been thinking fast Vsync, it's the setting that runs your GPU over your refresh rate to minimize latency.

Doesn't look like I'm running either.

Stux posted:

thats not really particularly out of line, assuming you have a cpu that matches up to the 1080 then it could easily peak up that high or higher turboing up before it settles back down, and theres def situations in the game which kick the cpu up into a pretty high load momentarily like raising your armies spread out over your realm etc

This is probably it (CPU is a 9700K). It's not constant, roughly between one and five times a session, so it probably does correlate with poo poo Going Down, and I just haven't noticed because I'm too busy being startled by the UPS beeping.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

canada jezus posted:

What are everyone's favorite lifestyles? I know the "best" ones are probably whatever you need atm (and stewardship in general), but like just favorites? I quite love the torturer/intrigue one. Just everyone poo poo scared of you, kidnapping motherfuckers and torturing them for funsies. Diplomacy is great though, make friends, everyone loving you, tons of prestige. Learning is situational but cool. I haven't played any martial characters yet, but i think that'll be my next game. Try to stack up knight effectiveness bonus and roleplay family power ranger killing peasants.

edit: Also can i get into weird witchcraft stuff? Haven't seen any of that yet.

Intrique is really fun but the character who I took over most of the UK with was all in on diplomacy and the extra CBs you get are super helpful. England splintered really badly and I was able to just roll though, force vassalising everyone and then befriending them so they weren't mad at me. I really want to mess around with Learning as I haven't really had a character use it much so far.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Intrigue is fantastic and becoems great for money-making by making short detour into avarice for the ability to use hooks for money. If you don't know what else you should be plotting for at the monet get a hook on someone with money and force them to pay up.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I personally love that the Chivalry route means you can declare peace at 90%.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

disaster pastor posted:

PSU is 750, GPU is a 1080 (not Ti), vsync is on. So nothing too wild.

I started a speed 5 observer run on my machine just to see what my numbers are and I'm peaking at around 50% utilization on my 9900K, which means it's maxing our 8 logical cores so pretty good for a game. CPUs with fewer cores would presumably see higher max utilization.

A 1080 is pretty high-end for its time and draws like 200W max average but might peak higher. It's also old enough that CK3 might put a strain on it at 60 FPS.

Anyhow, I don't think a peak of 486W at the socket is worrying. You're probably looking at around 400W after losses, which is well within spec for the PSU and about what your components might reasonably top out at. I can see not wanting to average that much over any length of time, but in this case it's probably just that the game is new and well-optimized so it can in fact momentarily tax your system.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think the way every single lifestyle tree feels genuinely useful is probably my favourite thing about this whole game. Back in CK2 it was basically Stewardship or Martial when small, and then Diplomacy once big, but all of the trees have really awesome abilities in them such that I don't at all feel like my heir has to get a good diplomacy education to be worth a drat, and the fact you're not locked in to your education too is a huge benefit. My previous emperor had a good stewardship education, but after picking up a few talents on the right tree, I switched to Scholarship for the rest of his life and by the end of it he was rocking 32 Learning, had Converted the realm to a Gnostic-Incestuous version of Insular Christianity, and unlocked our first High Medieval Innovation. What a champ.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Had anyone using the gamepass version having trouble launching the game out of nowhere? I played the game all weekend with no issues and tried to load it this morning and now the launcher is saying failed to launch the game and windows defender keeps blocking it even if i turn it off.

Its just strange to me to work fine for a whole week and stop working now.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Anyhow, I don't think a peak of 486W at the socket is worrying. You're probably looking at around 400W after losses, which is well within spec for the PSU and about what your components might reasonably top out at. I can see not wanting to average that much over any length of time, but in this case it's probably just that the game is new and well-optimized so it can in fact momentarily tax your system.

Yeah, I'm not worried, I'm just annoyed every time the alert happens, especially when it's like 10:30 PM. Thanks!

liveoctopus
Oct 18, 2005

Gasmask posted:

If the claimant is already a vassal of yours (and the pressed claim is to a title that's lower rank than yours) they will stay your vassal, meaning the land you fought for becomes part of your realm - so it can be helpful in terms of expansion. However, if they're not your vassal they will usually become independent (or slot into whatever the relevant feudal hierarchy is), meaning you get gently caress all (except a new ruler who likes you more).

This bit is a CK2 rule that isn't true anymore. As long as they're a lower rank, they'll become your vassal. They don't need to already be one. It's very nice!

The only real downside is they're often somebody of a foreign culture, so you get more land in one go but a vassal who doesn't like you as much compared to you claiming the land yourself and handing it out to people of your own culture. I mean, sure, they'll love you at first, but a generation later it's somebody wondering why this foreign swine is their liege. The modifier isn't that big, though, it just adds a bit to your just-after-succession problems.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
so is there a better way to increase county control if you're not a Martial lifestyle dude with a bunch of the talents for improving control? 21 years to get control levels up is, uh, not ideal if I'm aiming to finalize my ownership of all Ireland before my current character dies

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Skypie posted:

so is there a better way to increase county control if you're not a Martial lifestyle dude with a bunch of the talents for improving control? 21 years to get control levels up is, uh, not ideal if I'm aiming to finalize my ownership of all Ireland before my current character dies

Are you sending your Marshal to increase control?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Are you sending your Marshal to increase control?

yeah, I had. when I first sent him, it said 21 years left. It's down to 10 now. Is it related to his skill or even maybe opinion of me?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Skypie posted:

yeah, I had. when I first sent him, it said 21 years left. It's down to 10 now. Is it related to his skill or even maybe opinion of me?

I think it's skill, but opinion might play into it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Skypie posted:

The province probably had that modifier which causes a ticking loss in control, then lost it, which would speed up gaining control.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is there some kind of kingdom tree I can take a look at to better understand whose who in my realm?

Also how do you manage all these "powerful vassals" that want council seats? I only have 4 seats available (1 is for the clergy who I cannot appoint and 1 is taken by my rulers wife) and yet every mayor and vassal seems to demand being on the council.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Popete posted:

Is there some kind of kingdom tree I can take a look at to better understand whose who in my realm?

Also how do you manage all these "powerful vassals" that want council seats? I only have 4 seats available (1 is for the clergy who I cannot appoint and 1 is taken by my rulers wife) and yet every mayor and vassal seems to demand being on the council.

hand them off to bigger vassals (that ARE on the council) so they are somebody else's problem

you can also easily manage 1-2 non-seated large vassals by Swaying them

don't forget your ABCs

Always Be sCheming

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Randarkman posted:

The province probably had that modifier which causes a ticking loss in control, then lost it, which would speed up gaining control.

It was a county I'd just claimed in war so maybe that was part of it. There's only 3 counties left on the island for me to pick up, but unfortunately my powerful martial ruler died so now I'm stuck with his nerdy son, and it's really drained my total levies. Old king could've stomped a couple of these counties with ease, new king not so much.

plus now I gotta contend with all these Powerful Vassals wanting a seat on the council even though their stats suck.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Are there parts of the map that are inherently more dangerous/war prone? If yes what is the most peaceful spot to park yourself if you just wanna see about a breeding program/pumping out 10,000 kids and seeing who ends up where.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

UrbicaMortis posted:

Intrique is really fun but the character who I took over most of the UK with was all in on diplomacy and the extra CBs you get are super helpful. England splintered really badly and I was able to just roll though, force vassalising everyone and then befriending them so they weren't mad at me. I really want to mess around with Learning as I haven't really had a character use it much so far.

I should look into using diplomacy tools as an expansionist, kind of annoying with my current ruler that I'm mostly surrounded by territory I can't use the tribal conquest CBs on and which I don't have claims on anymore because I didn't press them with my previous ruler

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Popete posted:

Sway them, bribe them, give them vassals or counties to keep their opinions high, give your children to them as wards or if all else fails pawn them off to other vassals so they're not your problem anymore. It's fine to have vassals with the penalty, they won't do anything so long as you keep them happy one way or another. There's no reason not to always have a Sway scheme running, it's basically free opinion. You can set your chancellor to improve vassal opinion by +10 as well if you really need to.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 7, 2020

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

If you subjugate someone, does that just go away when you die? I had subjugated Sápmi and it was independent again when I died not long after.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Marry excess daughters to them and their kids for alliances. Ally's cannot join factions against you.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Peewi posted:

If you subjugate someone, does that just go away when you die? I had subjugated Sápmi and it was independent again when I died not long after.

No, but if your heir is not higher rank than them, they will become independent.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is the earliest/best "Tutorial Island" start for tribals?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Gyshall posted:

I've been having a blast starting as Björn Ironside. You start out pretty small but you're surrounded by weak counties ripe for the taking and you can just ignore the British Isles while your brothers go off and do their thing over there. Before too long you're king of Sweden, then from there it's just a question of picking a direction to expand in. Access to Scandinavian elective succession makes keeping your stuff easier, too.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
man I just spent a bunch of money on a scheme to murder some king so I could split an alliance and take over the county of Desmond. Right as the scheme finished up successfully, I discovered my half-brother had gone to war on his own and claimed it for the earldom of Munster.

so now I'm trying to refocus on murdering a jarl who controls Dublin

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

canada jezus posted:

Are there parts of the map that are inherently more dangerous/war prone? If yes what is the most peaceful spot to park yourself if you just wanna see about a breeding program/pumping out 10,000 kids and seeing who ends up where.

Iceland is almost always safe. But you'd be too isolated.

I have to imagine you'd be relatively safe by playing as a Vassal in Hungary.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
How does the "hostile county" modifier that creates attrition against raiding armies come into being? I'm running a bunch of raiders around West Francia and noticing that I can move freely through some counties, while others hit me with a whopping percent-based attrition modifier because they are Hostile Counties, but I haven't figured out what the difference is yet. It's not the presence or proximity of castles, because Sable and Le Mans are right next to each other, and Sable is safe but Le Mans is hostile.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

is there no way to stop your army mustering?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Raiding seems a little micro-heavy. I feel like I always JUST want to raise my men-at-arms so they don't cost me any gold maintenance, otherwise I'm losing gold by having a bunch of levies raised. So that means I need to constantly move the rally point to wherever is closest to where I want to raid, click raise raiders, and then immediately control-click to stop gathering and start moving. And then bring them back in, move the rally point somewhere else, lower them, and raise them again. It's a bit fiddly, and possibly a little busted that you can just teleport your men-at-arms stacks like that. Levies at least take some time to raise again.

canada jezus posted:

What are everyone's favorite lifestyles? I know the "best" ones are probably whatever you need atm (and stewardship in general), but like just favorites? I quite love the torturer/intrigue one. Just everyone poo poo scared of you, kidnapping motherfuckers and torturing them for funsies. Diplomacy is great though, make friends, everyone loving you, tons of prestige. Learning is situational but cool. I haven't played any martial characters yet, but i think that'll be my next game. Try to stack up knight effectiveness bonus and roleplay family power ranger killing peasants.

I feel all of them can be pretty effective, but I'm partial to Diplomacy because it just passively makes dealing with a large realm so much easier if your diplomacy score is high, and if you really want to milk that level of fame (i.e. you are tribal) August is the way to go, but I'm partial to the Family tree myself for the incredibly high stats it can give, plus the Befriend scheme makes realm management (and stress management, it's possible to get 100% stress reduction with enough friends) easier. Also, did you know that if your councilors are your friends, they get a small bonus to whatever task they do? It's a nifty little trick.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Is there something wrong with the way the Suggestions box decides a :Realm will lose land when Vassal dies?

I'm being warned I'll lose a county that is my vassal earl's only county. He has four unlanded children, including two sons. All the children have lieges who are my vassals. The county sheet says it has high partition male preference. The relevant duchy has not been created yet. My primary title is Queen of Wales, where I have absolute crown authority and primogeniture. I am also queen of England, where the county is, and the kingdom sheet for that says inheritance will follow my primogeniture male preference law. I'm assuming the suggestion is wrong, mayby tripped up by the duchy not existing.

Meanwhile I did lose a different county that was inherited by the King of Jerusalem. I was expecting that, but the Suggestions box said nothing about it.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Communist Thoughts posted:

is there no way to stop your army mustering?

If you create a new army from the mustering army, you can move your new army immediately. Just make sure to move your preferred commander and knights over, too.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

bees everywhere posted:

If you create a new army from the mustering army, you can move your new army immediately. Just make sure to move your preferred commander and knights over, too.

And that brings up my biggest annoyance with that UI: when you move a knight over to another army, the list scrolls up to the top again forcing you to scroll all the way back down to move more knights over.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Imo the Scholar Perk would be much more interesting if it let you set a cultural fascination 1 level ahead of your current era, i.e you could research Windmills in the early Medieval Era.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Mogyer Confederation in 867 is fun. You start with the Cross the Carpathians decision available day 1 which gives you a CB and free troops vs Bulgaria, and when you win you are left in control of all of Hungary.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Great stuff, Björn Ironside, having elephants as your cultural fascination, top rank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Martout posted:

Great stuff, Björn Ironside, having elephants as your cultural fascination, top rank

Who amongst us isn't obsessed with elephants.