Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that colour that all rental properties have their walls painted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing is that the balcony shoe was the one I DID have.

I just did a really poor job of looking around the hotel room at the beginning of the game, so I was walking around for 5 hours with one shoe and no shirt.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

showbiz_liz posted:

So maybe a closer translation into English would have been the beige.

Too close to Besźel.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

That's just good roleplaying.

Get wasted tonight and keep playing tomorrow with a massive hangover.

I admire your dedication.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

veni veni veni posted:

I just did a really poor job of looking around the hotel room at the beginning of the game, so I was walking around for 5 hours with one shoe and no shirt.

Press tab.

Also if you kept failing to get the body down you could have just....done anything else. Follow up on you other leads (and maybe get some help getting the body down) found new side stories to pursue, talk to people about the case and the world, etc. Theres some people that didnt get the body down until like....day 5 of their first run.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 7, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Don't listen to anyone else, you are definitely playing this game the right way.

No sarcasm.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't listen to anyone else, you are definitely playing this game the right way.

No sarcasm.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wandering around town in a stupor while loving up while wearing just a single shoe on is possibly the most canon energy you can bring to the table.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is ludo-narrative harmony.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah walking all over the city with one shoe and a blazer with no shirt on underneath felt thematically appropriate enough I never really questioned it lol.

It took 5 hours before I was like “where’s my drat shoe anyways”. Then I found the shirt and the tie as well and was like ohhh “so I wasn’t meant to be playing this game half naked the whole time”

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This game really needs a laundromat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you take the cum-stains off the cum-stained party pants you lose some of the stat changes

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Imagine if all your starting gear had something like,

-1 Authority : Doesn't this guy wash his clothes?
+1 Authority : ... Or is he saying he doesn't need to?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tylana posted:

Imagine if all your starting gear had something like,

-1 Authority : Doesn't this guy wash his clothes?
+1 Authority : ... Or is he saying he doesn't need to?

No, if the game has 2 big flaws it's:

1) no fast travel options
2) Wardrobe shuffles changing your entire character for 5 minutes.

Now 2) I will accept is actually thematically incredibly appropriate for the game, but as a gameplay mechanic it's awful and this would make it far worse.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Does anything different happen if you don’t wash yourself after doing the autopsy?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’m wondering if there is a comment if the shoe is still on the balcony during the debrief with Kim on the balcony ?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Now 2) I will accept is actually thematically incredibly appropriate for the game, but as a gameplay mechanic it's awful and this would make it far worse.

Geographically the game is pretty small. It'd feel very small with fast travel.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Have to disagree with you there Boring Cop. I think a point the game drives home is that it's the journey not the destination. If they tried to have some form of fast travel you would not soak in the scenery or music and some immersion would be lost. This is a game that is meant to be savoured, not devoured.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Regarde Aduck posted:

Geographically the game is pretty small. It'd feel very small with fast travel.

I've thought about this a lot over two playthroughs and I think I would like "one-click travel" where I can click on a location and it just auto-navigates HdB to it so I don't have to click or push buttons. That way you get the journey without my wrist getting tired

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No, savouring the game is fine, but by day 3-4 it taking five minutes along with a mandatory intermediate scene transition to go have a chat with Evart is not great.

(The Police Car, outside Everett's office, The Village across the canal. That's all the fast travel nodes you need and would cut out 75% of the pointless shuffling back and forth).

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 7, 2020

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hell yeah i knew making authority my Signature trait would pay off. Kim is tearing it up in this church. :slick:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Failing that check... Hoo boy. Certainly took the wind out of my sails after passing a "very difficult" motorics check to start dancing to begin with.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Does anything different happen if you don’t wash yourself after doing the autopsy?

There's some dialogue about it in the ending. Guess I should've explored the bathroom more thoroughly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mary had a little clam posted:

I've thought about this a lot over two playthroughs and I think I would like "one-click travel" where I can click on a location and it just auto-navigates HdB to it so I don't have to click or push buttons. That way you get the journey without my wrist getting tired

They did patch in a "click and hold" movement, Diablo style, a little while ago, so it's not as bad as it used to be.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
You can also use WSAD to move around now, I think.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Hell yeah i knew making authority my Signature trait would pay off. Kim is tearing it up in this church. :slick:

https://twitter.com/KapitonovaVolia/status/1217808708702539776

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mary had a little clam posted:

You can totally do this, unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I’m about to play this for the first time, at the urging of friends who know my abiding love for Planescape: Torment and games that are essentially just excuses to read interesting walls of text. Is there anything I should know going into it to get as much out of the game as possible, in the way that we tell people new to Planescape to max their INT/WIS/CHA to get very important dialogue options which they would otherwise be locked out of?

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times, the spoiler minefield has me skittish.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kestral posted:

I’m about to play this for the first time, at the urging of friends who know my abiding love for Planescape: Torment and games that are essentially just excuses to read interesting walls of text. Is there anything I should know going into it to get as much out of the game as possible, in the way that we tell people new to Planescape to max their INT/WIS/CHA to get very important dialogue options which they would otherwise be locked out of?

Apologies if this has been asked a thousand times, the spoiler minefield has me skittish.

the thing about DE is that all traits act like PT's wisdom in a sense, in that they all unlock their own types of dialogue, but the ones that tend to have important dialogue are Shivers and Inland Empire

you'd also benefit more from rolling a character with a point spread (like 4/2/4/2) instead of dumping a majority of points into a single skillset

also, the Volition and Endurance skills in particular dictate both of your "health" types, so if you have only one point in either you'll effectively be a one-hit wonder for the early parts of the game. you can still get by fine even with that little (there's a short grace period to chug a health restorative when you zero out, before the game over screen pops up) but it's probably best to keep at least two points in each

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 8, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The key thing is to not be terrible at any particular skill. There are no dump stats.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Don't put 1 in volition or endurance unless you want to die in the first room and reroll.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kestral posted:

don't be afraid of failure, tab to highlight interactables, white checks are retryable if events re-open them, when something causes you to take your last point of damage you still have a few seconds to use a healing item

most importantly of all, think back to planescape and before you say something, consider what it would say about you

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Arrhythmia posted:

Don't put 1 in volition or endurance unless you want to die in the first room and reroll.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Kestral posted:

Pump encyclopedia for wonderful walls of text. Embrace failure. Find your other shoe.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GANDHITRON posted:

Failing that check... Hoo boy. Certainly took the wind out of my sails after passing a "very difficult" motorics check to start dancing to begin with.

The only time I reloaded a failed check.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember you can hold skill points in reserve, and use them at any time.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The only time I reloaded a failed check.

I gasped, felt a rush of shame, and hit that reload button as fast as I could.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arrhythmia posted:

The fan and the lights are the top two killers in Disco Elysium.

The third is the Evrart boss fight.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 8, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now picturing a sequel: Harry and Cuno's Quest for Cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kestral posted:

All of the stats are important and meaningful. You can build whatever you want and have a good experience. While it's true that none of the stats are dump stats, I'd also argue that all of the stats are dump stats in a way. 5/1/1/5 is viable, as is 1/5/5/1 as is 3/3/3/3 as is 4/2/1/5 and so forth and so forth.

Higher skill levels are not always strictly better. Take Reaction Speed, for example. With a low reaction speed, you may be caught flat-footed by something and be unable to avoid it. With a moderately high reaction speed, you'll be able to react to something in time. With an extremely high reaction speed, you may begin to react to things so quickly that you don't take the time to think them through completely and thus you can lose options. This affects all the skills to some extent. Don't be afraid to boost skills up high, but don't expect it to be like D&D where 20 ranks of Diplomacy lets you talk anybody into anything. In Disco Elysium, the diplomacy 20 guy gets his nose broken because he's so incapable of understanding that the angry drunk would rather throw hands than talk things over that he doesn't even get the option to try dodging.

Give failure a chance. This is not a game where failing checks locks you into the 'bad ending', and there are even times when failing a check gives you a better outcome than passing it.

You're a dumpster fire that has taken human form. Some of the best stuff in this game comes from being a miserable fuckup. Embrace it.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 8, 2020