Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Soonmot posted:

They also really need to rethink the breakable door/ control panel thing because with two Hawkeyes, it'll be possible to have a whole team of human players and no one able to break open a door.

I bet Hawkeye will have a dumb bomb arrow that will work, but I agree that gating loot behind abilities is dumb. At the very least there should be a button to command AI teammates to bust open or hack doors. Or maybe have alternate opening methods. Easy way could be breaking it, or you could do one of those switch puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There's not even really a reason to gate them. I mean Widow could either have a gadget that hacks them or just some C4 or something. It's a universe where technology is basically magic.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

There's not even really a reason to gate them. I mean Widow could either have a gadget that hacks them or just some C4 or something. It's a universe where technology is basically magic.

Her heavy attack is literally an explosive already, so lol

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just beat the campaign. i was hoping for Kamala Khan’s Punch Out (Yes I played Wonderful 101, why do you ask?), but it was still a cool moment.

Jack aside it was a pretty great campaign and a good jumping off point for continuous content, if they can pull it off.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Liar Lyre posted:

I bet Hawkeye will have a dumb bomb arrow that will work, but I agree that gating loot behind abilities is dumb. At the very least there should be a button to command AI teammates to bust open or hack doors. Or maybe have alternate opening methods. Easy way could be breaking it, or you could do one of those switch puzzles.

Yeah or he could use his USB arrow from the movie from hack the terminal.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Does XP do anything past level 50?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Seedge posted:

Does XP do anything past level 50?

Doesn't seem like it. I would think they'll add a paragon like system cause yeah that seems like a natural thing for this type of game and they have the comics in the game that give you little stat boosts that can stack if you get multiples, could just let you pick one of those each time you level or something.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

One small but very annoying feature: it seems to be impossible to switch your hero on the Chimera. I would like to take another character into the next mission, but I would need to buy some gear for them first, and there's seemingly no way to switch characters.

I found some guide that said you can go downstairs from the corridor where all the heroes' private rooms are and access a wartable-like thing where you can change all your heroes' gear and whatnot, but there sure as hell isn't a "downstairs" from there in my game.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Take the lower door from the war table and the next table should be a character switcher, however it only shows up after you've completed the campaign.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The numbers are in and the game did not sell well at all. In the UK sales on PC & Consoles sold 71% less than PS4 Spider-Man did in its launch week.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/07/marvel-avengers-sells-less-third-ps4-spider-man-uk-chart-debut-13233119/

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Raged posted:

The numbers are in and the game did not sell well at all. In the UK sales on PC & Consoles sold 71% less than PS4 Spider-Man did in its launch week.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/07/marvel-avengers-sells-less-third-ps4-spider-man-uk-chart-debut-13233119/

I wonder if there's another reason why boxed sales of a game might be down right now that we should take into account.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Raged posted:

Okay cool.

What exactly qualifies as a Signature attack for the purposes of challenges etc?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

VanillaGorilla posted:

I want to like Thor, but it feels like the designers’ intended build with him is around overcharge, which is a really dumb mechanic that requires you to never get hit, in a game where it is REALLY hard to go long stretches without getting hit. If they’d added a mastery that made it harder to get bounced out of overcharge maybe it would have worked but that’s not the world we live in.

Also, I want to play Thor as a melee guy but he really seems to be intended to be moving between ranges and melee pretty constantly.

Come to think of it, a lot of the seemingly “intended” builds don’t seem all that great (e.g. “tank” Captain America).

I struggled a lot with Thor until mid-game, see my series of failures a couple pages ago.

But a few days ago he finally *clicked* for me. I think the key to success are charged heavy combos. They interrupt, do a lot of damage and a bit of an aoe. And once something is interrupted you can mix in the light combo plus the hammer swirls and a Godblast (I have the 3 Godblast spec, which works great as "Oh poo poo" key).

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 7, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Playing the final mission which is seriously an hour plus long. Almost at the end. Game crashes, and I'm right back at the Chimera with absolutely zero progress saved whatsoever. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

I struggled a lot with Thor until mid-game, see my series of failures a couple pages ago.

But a few days ago he finally *clicked* for me. I think the key to success are charged heavy combos. They interrupt, do a lot of damage and a bit of an aoe. And once something is interrupted you can mix in the light combo plus the hammer swirls and a Godblast (I have the 3 Godblast spec, which works great as "Oh poo poo" key).

Also important is that you can wait to turn on Odinforce during a heavy combo until the hit is about to land so as to save charge.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
did they remove the quick join? I wanted to see if I could find a match before work, but I do not see the option on the ps4?

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

campaign has been great so far except for the first mission they give you iron man, black widow, and thor I died so fast I assume I'm playing them totally wrong but who knows because the HARM mission to explain their intended playstyle isn't until after a 20-60 minute long mission and boss fight

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

didn’t enjoy the beta at all but with nothing on my radar until cyberpunk I figured it might be a good lootnshoot time killer to hold me over so I picked it up

campaign is fun so far, kamala is less obnoxious than she was in the beta, honestly just having the stuff with her dad in quiet scenes helps a lot to humanize her as more than a walking yelling Marvel’s The Avengers The Game banner ad

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, Kamala's the highlight of the game for me. I'm not a muslim so I don't have any personal experience of life as a muslim, but Tamoor Hussein and some other game journos who are said that the little things (like her dad calling her Beta) feel very true to life.

Even to an outsider she's an awesome character, and I really liked the little details like her saying she made her first superhero costume out of a burkini her mum had bought for her. That's of course a very worn superhero trope at this point ("hero makes first costume at home"), but transported into a different culture very well.

I hope we get more of her in future games. Better games.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, Kamala's the highlight of the game for me. I'm not a muslim so I don't have any personal experience of life as a muslim, but Tamoor Hussein and some other game journos who are said that the little things (like her dad calling her Beta) feel very true to life.

Even to an outsider she's an awesome character, and I really liked the little details like her saying she made her first superhero costume out of a burkini her mum had bought for her. That's of course a very worn superhero trope at this point ("hero makes first costume at home"), but transported into a different culture very well.

yeah that’s part of it too. i have very little to no familiarity with that culture but it feels honest and non tokenizing which is cool

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm about halfway through the campaign and it's been reasonably fun. The best parts have definitely been story missions with action set pieces, where Crystal Dynamics is able to flex its Tomb Raider muscles. I can't shake the feeling that this could have been a much better game if they ditched the multiplayer/GaaS stuff entirely and just made this an "Uncharted but with superheroes" action romp.

Also yeah it's nice to see Kamala being treated well in the spotlight role.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The finale of the main campaign has an amazing moment for her as well. Her growing giant, impaling the kree sentry on the golden gate bridge and just beating the absolute poo poo out of it was pretty good. I wish they'd had a little bit in between rescuing Cap and that mission to build up MODOK a little more but what's there was good.

She definitely feels like the most fun character to play for me so far, having two forms of on demand emergency healing really helps and her ult feels like the most damaging one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

One small but very annoying feature: it seems to be impossible to switch your hero on the Chimera. I would like to take another character into the next mission, but I would need to buy some gear for them first, and there's seemingly no way to switch characters.

I found some guide that said you can go downstairs from the corridor where all the heroes' private rooms are and access a wartable-like thing where you can change all your heroes' gear and whatnot, but there sure as hell isn't a "downstairs" from there in my game.

You should be able to switch at either the table next to everyone's rooms, or on the war table itself. On PS4 you press the options button and that brings up the character selector.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Der Shovel posted:

I prefer the comic version of that, but since she ran away from home in the game, and I am not sure her mom even has a model it was the best they could do I suppose

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Soonmot posted:

did they remove the quick join? I wanted to see if I could find a match before work, but I do not see the option on the ps4?

Sometimes matchmaking gets toggled off randomly in the options. Just go into the options menu and toggle it back on

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
These subtitles are wild. Most of the time they don't even describe the sound they just say what's going on. It's like they're subtitles to be read aloud for blind people or something.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Codependent Poster posted:

You should be able to switch at either the table next to everyone's rooms, or on the war table itself. On PS4 you press the options button and that brings up the character selector.

The table next to everyone's rooms (I assume we're talking about the same table) is covered with a cloth and unusable. Maybe I missed the option at the war table, but I could've sworn I didn't find any option to change a hero -- short of choosing a mission and then picking a hero, which would then just revert back to my previous hero if I quit the war table.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

The table next to everyone's rooms (I assume we're talking about the same table) is covered with a cloth and unusable. Maybe I missed the option at the war table, but I could've sworn I didn't find any option to change a hero -- short of choosing a mission and then picking a hero, which would then just revert back to my previous hero if I quit the war table.

You have to either beat the campaign or go into avengers initiative mode to use that table

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This seems like a bit of a usability issue.

Not the only in the game though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The intent seems to be that you'd only need to switch heroes on starting a mission while progressing the campaign, which is all you'd do until you finished it and went into the free-er play mode.

Like you said, it's one in a weirdly long list of conceptual issues that didn't get caught. They happen in most games and they're always baffling, stuff here like the SHIELD vendor being off in a corner with an extra long run just for no reason but this game in particular seems to have a lot of them that just didn't get sanity checked.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The game really wants you to beat the story first before going into anything else.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Grem posted:

These subtitles are wild. Most of the time they don't even describe the sound they just say what's going on. It's like they're subtitles to be read aloud for blind people or something.

At least this game gave me the courage to turn off subtitles more often :unsmith: Didn't miss much and could actually focus on faces

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Why is my power level 7 when I have equipment at levels 10,9,8 and 8 or thereabouts?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Junkenstein posted:

Why is my power level 7 when I have equipment at levels 10,9,8 and 8 or thereabouts?

What about your artifacts? I forget about them too and they seems to be harder to come by.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Campaign is great, enjoying playing some post game with Thor and will probably see it through to max level/power level and pick it back up when cool new heroes are out. Would be nice if the the open world areas were designed a little more to be lived in areas ala destiny patrol zones but ah well.

Game is fun.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Pacific Northwest “Forest Fire” map environment is a bit on the nose.

Max level per Char is 50 but what is Max power level riggt now?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Campbell posted:

Pacific Northwest “Forest Fire” map environment is a bit on the nose.

Max level per Char is 50 but what is Max power level riggt now?

150. Gear doesn't drop higher than 130, then you can upgrade each piece +10 and get another +10 from your major artifact...but there's really no point in doing that, since there's no advantage to having a PL 150 character rather than a PL 135 one.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

there's no advantage to having a PL 150 character rather than a PL 135 one.

There's a Trophy!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Seedge posted:

There's a Trophy!

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just met Ant man how much longer until I unlock Thor and captain aka the good heroes