Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CoolCab posted:

that one is kind of interesting actually, it's partially a triumph of improved techniques. if you cook lobster while the creature is dead it significantly spoils the taste making it much less edible and that was the stuff that was considered inhumane to use on prisoners, lovely to feed to your indentured servants, etc. i have also read that lobster spoils incredibly quickly and to a very foul state - it made it impossible to serve anywhere but near water. at some point around the time the trains figured out they could offer fresh foods like this inland due to their incredible speed, some chefs figured out that the meat tastes much better if you boil them live and the infrastructures and technologies for keeping them alive and effective refrigeration and such really took off in a big way.

it is kind of wild that in many supermarkets in Canada where I grew up would have what are essentially wet market aquariums. i can't recall seeing them in the UK though.

I grew up by the sea in the UK and they had live crabs and lobsters in a big tank in the fishmarket in the harbour. We used to go look at them when we were kids like it was a zoo, we couldn't actually afford to eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's super common in North America if you're close enough to the coast. I went to an asian market in Florida that had practically an aquarium's worth of seafood in tanks.

It's crazy to watch mild mannered grocery clerks wrangling live eels into plastic bags.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
A family friend from Nova Scotia told us that back in the day the poor kids would come to school with lobster sandwiches and be made fun of by the richer kids, who had peanut butter sandwiches.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Angler* used to be really cheap trash fish until more people discovered that it tasted basically like lobster and fish mongers started charging more than double.

*Or as my people call it skötuselur (e. Ray-seal)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

*Or as my people call it skötuselur (e. Ray-seal)

In Norway it's called breiflabb which means wide mouth.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Iguanas, gators, and rattlesnakes are all really tasty and I dunno why we don't eat more reptiles tbh. I know turtle was/still is in some places a super common food even in the west.

Most reptiles are very unsuitable for farming and the wild populations can't sustain any form of serious hunting pressure.

Go nuts on invasive iguanas though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

In Norway it's called breiflabb which means wide mouth.

What do you call this guy?

Where I'm from it's "Ted Cruz."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's Þorvaldur

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Alhazred posted:

In 1902 French Indochina was overrun with rats. The colonial government hired rat hunters, but even though they were killing over 20 000 rats a day they couldn't even make a dent in the rat population. The solution was to set ĺ bounty on one cent per dead rat. They even had the ingenious idea of telling people to just show up with the tail so to not flood the governmental offices with rat corpses. And sure enough the rat tails started to pour in. But then people started to notice that the rats were still there, they were just missing their tails. A dead rat can't generate any more money after all, but an alive rat (without a tail) can produce more rats which means more money. People even began smuggling rats into the country and set up rat breeding farms. The government then gave up one extermination the rats and in 1906 there was an outbreak of the bubonic plague in Hanoi. Paul Doumer, the then governor of French Indochina and the man responsible for it all, later became president of France.

I'm sure this happens everywhere at least once, It's happened in NZ with rabbits and maybe possums.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the lobsters and crayfishes that were served for slaves and prisoners were grinded into paste, shell and all

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

It’s in my living memory that lamb shanks were given away free at the butchers for people to give to their dogs.

Then everyonecottoned on (maybe a couple of cooking shows helped) that if you put them in a slow cooker the meat is amazingly full flavoured and falls of the bone. Now they are almost as expensive as other parts of the lamb.

Mutton was cheap food too because Aussies preferred the traditional English roast leg of lamb. drat shame it’s hard to find now.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Capt.Whorebags posted:

It’s in my living memory that lamb shanks were given away free at the butchers for people to give to their dogs.

Then everyonecottoned on (maybe a couple of cooking shows helped) that if you put them in a slow cooker the meat is amazingly full flavoured and falls of the bone. Now they are almost as expensive as other parts of the lamb.

Mutton was cheap food too because Aussies preferred the traditional English roast leg of lamb. drat shame it’s hard to find now.

Mutton is hard to find in UK supermarkets but I've always got mine from the local Halal butchers. Anywhere that does goat will usually do mutton too and if you ask they'll leave the bone in for stewing.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

darkwasthenight posted:

Mutton is hard to find in UK supermarkets but I've always got mine from the local Halal butchers. Anywhere that does goat will usually do mutton too and if you ask they'll leave the bone in for stewing.

Ah good point, cheers.

For a curry, mutton is second only to goat.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

Most reptiles are very unsuitable for farming and the wild populations can't sustain any form of serious hunting pressure.

Go nuts on invasive iguanas though

Health Department voice: please do not catch random wild iguanas and feed them to unsuspecting people.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Who called the US Department of Buzzkill?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*glares at an iguana's tail*

you ain't from around here are ya?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

christmas boots posted:

Who called the US Department of Buzzkill?

Waving the Gadsden flag but it's got a picture of a guy eating the snake on it.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Invasive species historical fun fact:

The reason the US has European starlings and house sparrows was a guy called Eugene Schieffelin, who founded the American Acclimatization Society in 1871. His mission was to introduce “such foreign varieties of the animal and vegetable kingdom as may be useful or interesting.”. He introduced house sparrows to combat linden moth larvae in NY, and in 1890 they released 100 starlings in Central Park (alongside other European songbirds, but they didn't acclimatize). There's a story about him wanting the US to contain all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare's works but it's probably apocryphal. There's about 500 million house sparrows and 200 million starlings in the US today.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

The reason the US has European starlings and house sparrows was a guy called Eugene Schieffelin, who founded the American Acclimatization Society in 1871. His mission was to introduce “such foreign varieties of the animal and vegetable kingdom as may be useful or interesting.”. He introduced house sparrows to combat linden moth larvae in NY, and in 1890 they released 100 starlings in Central Park (alongside other European songbirds, but they didn't acclimatize). There's a story about him wanting the US to contain all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare's works but it's probably apocryphal. There's about 500 million house sparrows and 200 million starlings in the US today.

What do they eat?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What do they eat?

About a billion dollars worth of agricultural seeds a year. They also eat insect pests but I think most calculations show them doing more harm than good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

About a billion dollars worth of agricultural seeds a year. They also eat insect pests but I think most calculations show them doing more harm than good

Yeah that's what I was wondering about because I heard there are no insects anymore.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

They also compete with native species for nesting sites. The starlings' nesting habits are apparently so filthy that native species can't even reuse the site due to all the poo and debris

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhBaVInb3jI&t=111s

The European Starling is a Pokémon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

They also compete with native species for nesting sites. The starlings' nesting habits are apparently so filthy that native species can't even reuse the site due to all the poo and debris

Well they are colonising birds.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
e: ^ oh goddamnit

Winklebottom posted:

Just continuing the proud european tradition of settling in the new world and immediately making GBS threads the bed forever

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I sort of admire the 19th century tradition of doing things because "they may be interesting."

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ChubbyChecker posted:

prisoners were grinded into paste, shell and all
That seems inhumane.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Silly Newbie posted:

That seems inhumane.

And also accurate.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I sort of admire the 19th century tradition of doing things because "they may be interesting."

There was a bold and exciting time between the invention of the scientific method and the invention of ethics boards. One of the 'best' studies done (in terms of the quality of the data produced) on the impact of sugar consumption on dental health was done on the inpatients of (what would now be called) a residential home for the intellectually disabled in Sweden in the 1940s and 50s. It was done without the consent of the patients, and a lot of them lost all of their teeth.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Alhazred posted:

In 1902 French Indochina was overrun with rats. The colonial government hired rat hunters, but even though they were killing over 20 000 rats a day they couldn't even make a dent in the rat population. The solution was to set ĺ bounty on one cent per dead rat. They even had the ingenious idea of telling people to just show up with the tail so to not flood the governmental offices with rat corpses. And sure enough the rat tails started to pour in. But then people started to notice that the rats were still there, they were just missing their tails. A dead rat can't generate any more money after all, but an alive rat (without a tail) can produce more rats which means more money. People even began smuggling rats into the country and set up rat breeding farms. The government then gave up one extermination the rats and in 1906 there was an outbreak of the bubonic plague in Hanoi. Paul Doumer, the then governor of French Indochina and the man responsible for it all, later became president of France.

Havelock Vetinari posted:

Tax the rat farms.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"fun" fact that fish actually looks perfectly normal underwater and what this image is is basically post-explosive-decompression

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
:smith:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Winklebottom posted:

Historians know this as the Schieffelin plan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flatluigi posted:

"fun" fact that fish actually looks perfectly normal underwater and what this image is is basically post-explosive-decompression

Perfectly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wasn't even aware we were eating anglerfish now. Is it like orange roughy where they can live to be over 200 years old and reproduce extremely slowly so we'll deplete the fishery in like a decade?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

flatluigi posted:

On the plus side it’s reassuring to know that no creature naturally looks like Ted Cruz

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Historians know this as the Schieffelin plan

booo

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Phy posted:

I wasn't even aware we were eating anglerfish now. Is it like orange roughy where they can live to be over 200 years old and reproduce extremely slowly so we'll deplete the fishery in like a decade?

The most commonly eaten anglerfish are monkfish (mainly Lophius piscatorius or Lophius americanus). It's one of those cases where we're pretty sure they're overfished but no one has done a proper evaluation because we know very little about them.

A more pressing problem is that they're caught by bottom trawling which completely wrecks the seabed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Monkfish is delicious. If we have to turn the sea upside down and shake it to get the last one out I'd be OK with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ok Zoidberg