Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
its probably just not the show for me tbh. it just feels extremely inconsistent and not what I expected. its still early but I'm going to take a break for a while and see if things improve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
From the couple guys at work I talk to about TV, I think the different expectations is a big thing. They were both thinking it would be a long, slow, Lovecraft nightmare.

It's not that, it's a pulp horror romp, with racism as the biggest horror element. I didn't get in to it expecting anything and I'm liking it a lot.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

episode 1 was so good but just been downhill from there. i also agree that episode 2 and 3 don't really seem to be 'particularly' lovecraftian and that this the same jarring music/overstylized visuals that sunk Hunters for me

That's what sunk Hunters for you?

Huh.

Ep 4 was better than 2&3.

The biggest issue for me is pacing. 2&3 just moved way too fast for horror but didn't have enough action/adventure to be action/adventure. 3 was the worst offender here but an hour long show is just a poor format for a haunted house story unless you can go full Twilight Zone and deliver a solid twist (even then, most haunted house episodes of Twlight Zone-like shows are pretty loving awful). In retrospect, Ep 1 had the same issues as 2&3 but novelty makes up for a lot of sins. Ep 4 was a fun Hardy Boys/Indiana Jones/Pulp Adventure story. Best episode of the show so far. People complain about the anarchonistic music, which I don't get. Whitey on the Moon was misused in Ep 2 but that's more a function of the "song" being more of a spoken word poem. Using music to "tell, not show" is absolutely a sin this show commits but used the music to "tell not show" in a less obtrusive way than previous episodes.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Where are you people watching episode 4???

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
My TV?

In my house. Sitting next to my spouse surrounded by kittens and children.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
oh weird it's streaming early on HBO Max apparently

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The novel was written by a white dude? That's a bummer

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just got finished with a early watch of Episode 4 on HBOMax. Its super good. Probably my favorite episode so far.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Episode 4 rules

as soon as they opened the vault with that light beam and descended the rope into the tomb I was like oh gently caress yeah this is the adventure serial Indiana Jones episode. a subsequent bridge over an enormous chasm complete with swinging blade later and I was literally just waiting for a temple of doom reference to complete the trilogy. then he had to stick his hand in the scary hole to unlock the door and escape the metaphorical crushing. the cowardly academic dad who knows the lore better than his more gritty son, we even got a reverse Last Crusade rapid aging, followed by the chamber collapsing when they try to remove the “Grail.” Atticus wearing that tank top and backpack and his huge guns just framed in every shot.

the cheesy kiss in the elevator, so awesome. what a fun show

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The sorceress can't act at all like even a little bit and it's the most jarring thing about this show

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

i also agree that episode 2 and 3 don't really seem to be 'particularly' lovecraftian

Hiram Epstein is Herbert West. There's even a chapter in the Re-Animator where West performs experiments on a black man.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The novel was written by a white dude? That's a bummer

Take heart then, it's spiraling way off the book by this point.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

s1e4: Hello, trans character! Oh. Goodbye, trans character.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Madurai posted:

s1e4: Hello, trans character! Oh. Goodbye, trans character.

Was she supposed to be transgender? I thought she was a hermaphrodite, and they were doing a Native American third gender thing with her "knowing two worlds" or however she put it.

On another gender related subject, they keep making a big deal out of the fact Christina Braithwaite can never be like the other cultists in that she's a woman and is therefore instantly considered inferior. I noticed that she went in the house and that blonde guy William immediately came out, and started to wonder if the two of them had been on screen together yet and if they might be one in the same.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gordon Shumway posted:

Was she supposed to be transgender? I thought she was a hermaphrodite, and they were doing a Native American third gender thing with her "knowing two worlds" or however she put it.

On another gender related subject, they keep making a big deal out of the fact Christina Braithwaite can never be like the other cultists in that she's a woman and is therefore instantly considered inferior. I noticed that she went in the house and that blonde guy William immediately came out, and started to wonder if the two of them had been on screen together yet and if they might be one in the same.
Yeah, had the same thought on both spoilers.

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

Gordon Shumway posted:

She refers to herself as "two-spirit", which is kind of like an umbrella term that encompasses what other cultures we'd call "transgender" or "intersex." They can also consider themselves one of those groups, but like, not every indigenous person is comfortable w that due to colonialism being a motherfucker.

Anyhow, everything about her treatment is really my exit point for this show, wow. I already thought a lot of the writing was lackluster but oof. Introducing her nude, with "what are you?" (i know there's magic bullshit everywhere but for real, you don't think this implication through?) Tic punching her in the face. And while I suspect it won't be a death that sticks, she doesn't even make it out of the episode without a slit throat. Aaaand the actress is cis, unless I'm misinformed somehow. As a trans person myself it was extremely jarring and disgusting. :(

nopants
May 29, 2004
just watching the new episode and holy poo poo they’re in sen’s fortress

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
big 'The Goonies' vibes from E4.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

StarkingBarfish posted:

big 'The Goonies' vibes from E4.

:same:

At the end of E3, when Tic was talking to the Aryan Witch, they introduced the idea of subterranean treasure hunting and I was thinking "that would be a good episode"...and they really didn't make us wait for it. Great pulpy fun.

I wonder why Montrose kills Yahima, though. I assume it's because of something he has read in the Order of the Ancient Dawn handbook or, most likely, cause he really really want to stop Atticus from getting into a (losing) magical arms race with the Grand Wizards - as his lines in the pub seem to indicate.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I dunno I bought Montrose’s explanation for why he’s been cockblocking everything and just wrote off the very weird book burning scene as what he explained it to be, but the throat slitting is so cold blooded and efficient especially after his moment with Tic that it feels like something else is going on. like does anything about what we’ve seen of this dude make him seem like the kind of guy who could just cold-blooded slash a throat like that?

i dunno i think there’s more to how he’s acting than just trying to protect tic from getting in too deep, feels like there’s something else going on there

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The fashion model reading off the teleprompter is the same person as Budget Skarsgård, right? Like she has some spell that turns her into a Man?

Although he bloodied his knuckles in that fist fight and she's invincible so maybe not. They pull a Mrs Doubtfire every time they're on screen and that can't be coincidental

Also I know they're going for Period Appropriate but the homophobia this episode was not cool. I forget the exact lines but it was like

Character: I made you see a gay blowjob. Your dad is gay, and you are gay too

Tic: I'm not a SISSY

Why include that

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gordon Shumway posted:

My understanding of the Two-Spirit thing is that it was used in the same way that we'd use "gender-nonconforming" or "non-binary" today, but yes, the character was clearly intersexed.

And they've been playing coy with Christina/William before, but I think that scene was our confirmation that you're correct.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The fashion model reading off the teleprompter is the same person as Budget Skarsgård, right? Like she has some spell that turns her into a Man?

Although he bloodied his knuckles in that fist fight and she's invincible so maybe not. They pull a Mrs Doubtfire every time they're on screen and that can't be coincidental

Also I know they're going for Period Appropriate but the homophobia this episode was not cool. I forget the exact lines but it was like

Why include that

Wait why is the racism ok because 'that's how it was' but the homophobia isn't? Did you perceive it as being condoned by the writers?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Regarde Aduck posted:

Wait why is the racism ok because 'that's how it was' but the homophobia isn't? Did you perceive it as being condoned by the writers?

No, of course not. Under no circumstances is racism OK. Unlike the racism, the homophobia and transphobia were committed by the main characters, who are not nameless faceless "Bad Guys"

To put it simply, I don't like when protagonists are homophobic. Obviously protagonist =/= "good guys" but it still makes me do a :barf:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
So the implication is Montrose is gay, in which case Tic will have to come to grips with that?

Again a fun episode of a whole 'nother genre, though Jesus, things went fast again at the end. Character introduced (they seemed to have two sets of genitalia next to each other, which I think barring some absorbed-twin scenario is not a real thing?), "turned into a siren," and then killed. Honestly not sure what to think of that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why include that

Because believe it or not the world was different back then. You seem to keep coming to this thread to get offended too.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Doltos posted:

Because believe it or not the world was different back then. You seem to keep coming to this thread to get offended too.

I don't know what you're trying to say here - And what do you mean I keep coming to this thread to get offended? Are you saying I'm a triggered lib or something? I'm just sharing my thoughts on the show which have recently trended toward the negative.

I'll rephrase my gripe re: the homophobic slur. Imagine an Indiana Jones movie that takes place in 1940 but is released in 2020.

Nazi Scientist: Mister Jones, soon you will be dead, like the filthy Jews and Gypsies, whom I want to kill all of

[the Nazi punches Indiana Jones]

Indiana Jones: You punch like a f*g

In this hypothetical, I would find the Indiana Jones dialog to be more problematic even though the Nazi is saying a more horrific thing.

It doesn't matter if it's reflective of the world back then, because it's media produced in and for 2020. If your protagonist is a homophobe and does not face immediate repercussion for their homophobia, then you've produced homophobic media.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve only watched the first two episodes, but does anyone else have complaints about the audio?

The normal talking will be quiet as gently caress but then the monsters or music is loud as poo poo so I’m constantly adjusting volume.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

nwin posted:

I’ve only watched the first two episodes, but does anyone else have complaints about the audio?

The normal talking will be quiet as gently caress but then the monsters or music is loud as poo poo so I’m constantly adjusting volume.

Yeah, this show and Umbrella Academy both have incredibly quiet dialog and loud sound effects

Moltke
May 13, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It doesn't matter if it's reflective of the world back then, because it's media produced in and for 2020. If your protagonist is a homophobe and does not face immediate repercussion for their homophobia, then you've produced homophobic media.

Maybe you would prefer a marvel movie instead of being confronted with the reality of 1950s america? Portraying homophobia does not make something homophobic - context is what matters. The show isn't dropping slurs willy-nilly just for the sake of it. Clearly it's critiquing the milieu.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Moltke posted:

the reality of 1950s america?

Uh... not all black men in the 1950s were homophobic. It was a specific choice (by a white man, in 2016) to make him one.

The show deserves incredible kudos for its portrayal of the milieu. I just think making Tic a gaybasher was a misstep is all

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Uh... not all black men in the 1950s were homophobic. It was a specific choice (by a white man, in 2016) to make him one.

The show deserves incredible kudos for its portrayal of the milieu. I just think making Tic a gaybasher was a misstep is all

Homophobia and transphobia is rampant in the community just like it's rampant in other communities. Being black doesn't mean Atticus is a flawless character, same with his friends.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Actually it was a choice by a black woman in 2020. Does that make it better, or worse for you?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No, of course not. Under no circumstances is racism OK. Unlike the racism, the homophobia and transphobia were committed by the main characters, who are not nameless faceless "Bad Guys"

To put it simply, I don't like when protagonists are homophobic. Obviously protagonist =/= "good guys" but it still makes me do a :barf:

i have bad news but homophobia and transphobia are not only committed by nameless faceless Bad Guys.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

no, you’ve produced media with a homophobic character who does not face immediate repercussions for their homophobia. it is not the job of all stories to be fictional depictions of the ideal world we’d all prefer to live in. that’s a fine thing for media or a piece of art to do, but it seems like this probably isn’t about doing that and therefore might not be for you

as a side note, most of the racist characters in this show haven’t faced repercussions either, but the show doesn’t strike me as racist. maybe examine why you’re more comfortable with depictions of white supremacist cruelty to black people than you are to tic being quietly homophobic

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mulva posted:

Actually it was a choice by a black woman in 2020. Does that make it better, or worse for you?

Significantly better! I assumed Tic's character was accurate to the Matt Ruff novel. I am not qualified to judge a POC's decisions in writing POC characters so I literally cannot be bothered by it and have no opinion of any value on the matter.

Mandrel posted:

maybe examine why you’re more comfortable with depictions of white supremacist cruelty to black people than you are to tic being quietly homophobic

The depictions of white supremacist cruelty to black people are infinitely more painful to watch than the quiet homophobia. I did not mean to sound tolerant of the racism by discussing the intent & impact of the homophobia, which I thought had been a decision made by a white person.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That doesn't make it any better or worse. You literally were just mad that it presents homophobia in a positive light and is dangerous media but because you learned it's a black woman it's okay. In the end you're missing the point that it was a reflection on how people would act and behave in the time period.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Doltos posted:

That doesn't make it any better or worse. You literally were just mad that it presents homophobia in a positive light and is dangerous media but because you learned it's a black woman it's okay. In the end you're missing the point that it was a reflection on how people would act and behave in the time period.

Hm, can't say I actually agree with any part of this post, but I do hear, respect and acknowledge your opinion

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Does Atticus even have a problem with Sammy or the concept of being gay, especially for someone in the 50s? I don't think Tic has ever shown any kind of disdain/contempt for the few gay characters we have seen him met before and I guess this is more all the extra layers - the secrets Montrose has kept from Tic and his mother, to the point of Tic maybe even considering his true parentage, especially with what has been shown already on the show - together with the unexpected, sudden reveal.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

That Italian Guy posted:

Does Atticus even have a problem with Sammy or the concept of being gay, especially for someone in the 50s? I don't think Tic has ever shown any kind of disdain/contempt for the few gay characters we have seen him met before and I guess this is more all the extra layers - the secrets Montrose has kept from Tic and his mother, to the point of Tic maybe even considering his true parentage, especially with what has been shown already on the show - together with the unexpected, sudden reveal.
I'm rewatching and just got to that scene, and he tosses the sissy line off like he's barely interested in what dude is saying. There's some performative masculinity there, but it's hardly enough to assume it's what Tic really thinks. He just wants the guy to shut the gently caress up. And homophobic or not, finding out a parent's sexuality might be a lot more complicated than you thought it was is probably going to cause a reaction. Finding out an abusive parent might have been repressing their sexuality would definitely stop you in your tracks regardless of any sexual prejudices.

Also, this is the same show that gave James Baldwin the mic in episode one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

nwin posted:

Same. This last episode was especially bad for it