Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

liveoctopus posted:

This bit is a CK2 rule that isn't true anymore. As long as they're a lower rank, they'll become your vassal. They don't need to already be one. It's very nice!

The only real downside is they're often somebody of a foreign culture, so you get more land in one go but a vassal who doesn't like you as much compared to you claiming the land yourself and handing it out to people of your own culture. I mean, sure, they'll love you at first, but a generation later it's somebody wondering why this foreign swine is their liege. The modifier isn't that big, though, it just adds a bit to your just-after-succession problems.

Oh hey good to know. Better start pressing me some claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Martout posted:

Great stuff, Björn Ironside, having elephants as your cultural fascination, top rank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbomSoP1lk

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The only thing I really miss from Ck2 is artifacts, I liked having my own personal Armory/Reliquary/Library full of oddities made by my ancestors or found on a crusade.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Really wish someone would take these fuckin Swedes to task so I can have Leinster. Might have to start moving into Scotland so I'll eventually have enough troops, but my current king is about to die so I'm worried about how badly it's gonna split.

plus I'm tryin to murder my half-brother who is jailed in Smaland so he won't inherit my titles.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

The only thing I really miss from Ck2 is artifacts, I liked having my own personal Armory/Reliquary/Library full of oddities made by my ancestors or found on a crusade.

This and societies are the two biggest glaring omissions from CK3, and while I'm sure they'll come back in later DLC, it would have been nice to have ALL the old content at the start.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Please don't bring back societies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JosefStalinator posted:

This and societies are the two biggest glaring omissions from CK3, and while I'm sure they'll come back in later DLC, it would have been nice to have ALL the old content at the start.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Artifacts could be the first flavor pack since its about the right size for one, and its such a no-brainer. Just a gut feeling though.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

UrbicaMortis posted:

You'd have to buy it on gamepass to keep the save data, I'm pretty sure. I guess you might be able to find where the saves are in the files and paste them over if you bought it on Steam?

Xbox app is it's own store so it won't go in your steam library.

Might be worth trying in gamepass and then, if you like it and want it on Steam, buy it there after you've finished with your campaign on gamepass so losing the saves doesn't matter. Most people don't play to the end. I've just finished conquering Britain as Ireland and now I'm going to start as someone new and probably won't touch those old saves again.

I don't think this is right - the gamepass version keeps the saves in the same place steam paradox games do (Documents\Paradox Interactive\ on windows) so you should be able to keep the same ones if you get the steam version

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
So I'm Anglifying parts of Wales, will the children and heirs of my Welsh vassals eventually turn culturally Anglo-Saxon? Or will there forever be a rash of Welshies until they get usurped?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anybody have opinions on which of the Dynasty Legacies are the best? I zipped down the Blood Tree because I managed to get Herculean in the family very early, a bit lost at where to go next. The non-military ones seem underwhelming.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jeza posted:

So I'm Anglifying parts of Wales, will the children and heirs of my Welsh vassals eventually turn culturally Anglo-Saxon? Or will there forever be a rash of Welshies until they get usurped?

You can offer your Welsh vassals Anglo-Saxon guardians for their heirs to speed up the process (make sure to check the convert culture option when you do), but yes, rulers do sometimes go native and adopt the local culture of their county even if it's changed by, say, their liege importing settlers to subvert it from underneath them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Christ I should never have bothered to become a king! I was happier being an rear end in a top hat viking raider and marrying giant women so I could breed a race of children who could crew giant boats to be even bigger assholes to the people in Britian and Ireland. I have made a terrible mistake.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

cheesetriangles posted:

Societies owned. :colbert: I loved the extra events. Though I guess if they just added that many events without them it'd be cool. Also made the gallant perks to reduce knight death work. That'd be nice too.

One thing I'm finding out is really hard is fighting off a mass vassal revolt. Doesn't matter that I outnumber them. Every battle it's just their elite man at arms and like 55 knights vs my 12. It feels really unfair and just...stupid. The loyal vassals should at least supply their knights or something to balance it out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seems like theyre probably just going to properly integrate societies into the actual game instead with how there are already events for stuff like witches covens

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Societies were awful, and every fourth character being a Satanist or whatever was complete garbage, and the warrior lodges were some Hyperbolic Time Chamber bullshit.

The developers have earned some trust, and I wouldn't object to them being back, but they would need to be completely remade.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Retweet to save a life

Right clicking in the middle of these banners will close them immediately.

Just make sure you haven't selected an army, it can end up moving them and disrupting your seige.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

cheesetriangles posted:

If they have more events but less ridiculous power levels would be nice.

We need more events in general tbh. Like at least 1 every two months would be lovely.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Reveilled posted:

I think the way every single lifestyle tree feels genuinely useful is probably my favourite thing about this whole game. Back in CK2 it was basically Stewardship or Martial when small, and then Diplomacy once big, but all of the trees have really awesome abilities in them such that I don't at all feel like my heir has to get a good diplomacy education to be worth a drat, and the fact you're not locked in to your education too is a huge benefit. My previous emperor had a good stewardship education, but after picking up a few talents on the right tree, I switched to Scholarship for the rest of his life and by the end of it he was rocking 32 Learning, had Converted the realm to a Gnostic-Incestuous version of Insular Christianity, and unlocked our first High Medieval Innovation. What a champ.

Hard disagree with stewardship being good as a non vassal except for a quick detour into avarice for money and hooks and discounted man at arms for being a complete dreadful bastard. The administration and architecture trees very much seem like a thing you so for when you managed to snag a strong complete duchy with primogeniture or something in the hre and want to spend a lifetime pimping your heirs ride to the imperial crown.
Whole of body is also kinda trash to complete (BUT VERY USEFUL TO DIP INTO) and would probably be massively improved if it allowed you to transform your court into the stress free dictatorship of the swoleteriant superhumans. Scholarship is correctly identified as bonkers good and basically let's you skip other trees. Theologian is... situationally ok.
Overseerer seems pretty bad except I usually dip into the first perk for free dread. Strategist is pretty good if you are gonna be constantly warmongering but gets strong competition from chivalry turning you and your knightly lads into gods of war and the bedroom. So I think there is a temptation to split the difference.
Intrigue seems pretty powerful with probably the best first pick (from seduction) and focus of the game for a cool +50% fertility out of the gate. While the other two trees have some extremely powerful options and synergies but you can only pick one unless you wanna fill out one and reset perks later.
Diplomacy seems good as both a dip and a main focus. It's only been in the last couple of days that I finally realized how bonkers this life style can be for muslims and pagans because of their specific gimmicks. Lots of good stuff for everyone in here but the diplomat tree and the later parts of the family tree seem a bit weak. But the prestige one has incredibly bonkers syngeries with other trees.
Man I wrote alot.
Tldr: stewardship, seduction, diplomat, whole of bosy and overseerer trees probably need a little rework but otherwise they are pretty fun and engaging to work with.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

compromise - add in ckii societies but also Hard and Very Hard difficulty

i'm sorry but if I will crush the AI every single time if I am not penalized because the AI is incredibly dumb and predictable

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 7, 2020

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I just rq my ironman game. King dies, oh well, son has two titles to conquer, dies of natural causes within 2 months of that start, leaving my 3 year old daughter one territory and a war she cannot win. If it had switched me to one of his brothers, the game would have been salvageable. I spent hours on something undone in 3 minutes. gently caress that.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I just accidentally murdered an old man cuz I thought he was the liege of Smaland but he was just an heir. Oops. The actual liege was some other dude and now I'm scrambling to murder him.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well that sucks. I realized I gave a kingdom title to the wrong person and revoked it and he said yes and gave it back. Then I gave it to someone new and left off the game there. When I loaded it again he still had the title and also had the -80 penalty for having revoked it.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009
Holy poo poo I can’t wait to see what republics play like with this hook system!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lawman 0 posted:

Hard disagree with stewardship being good as a non vassal except for a quick detour into avarice for money and hooks and discounted man at arms for being a complete dreadful bastard. The administration and architecture trees very much seem like a thing you so for when you managed to snag a strong complete duchy with primogeniture or something in the hre and want to spend a lifetime pimping your heirs ride to the imperial crown.
Whole of body is also kinda trash to complete (BUT VERY USEFUL TO DIP INTO) and would probably be massively improved if it allowed you to transform your court into the stress free dictatorship of the swoleteriant superhumans. Scholarship is correctly identified as bonkers good and basically let's you skip other trees. Theologian is... situationally ok.
Overseerer seems pretty bad except I usually dip into the first perk for free dread. Strategist is pretty good if you are gonna be constantly warmongering but gets strong competition from chivalry turning you and your knightly lads into gods of war and the bedroom. So I think there is a temptation to split the difference.
Intrigue seems pretty powerful with probably the best first pick (from seduction) and focus of the game for a cool +50% fertility out of the gate. While the other two trees have some extremely powerful options and synergies but you can only pick one unless you wanna fill out one and reset perks later.
Diplomacy seems good as both a dip and a main focus. It's only been in the last couple of days that I finally realized how bonkers this life style can be for muslims and pagans because of their specific gimmicks. Lots of good stuff for everyone in here but the diplomat tree and the later parts of the family tree seem a bit weak. But the prestige one has incredibly bonkers syngeries with other trees.
Man I wrote alot.
Tldr: stewardship, seduction, diplomat, whole of bosy and overseerer trees probably need a little rework but otherwise they are pretty fun and engaging to work with.

No way, the administration tree is extremely useful for an independent ruler, there's perks for increasing vassal opinion (especially councillors) and increasing the rate at which tyranny decays. If you've taken most of those perks and make sure your powerful vassals are on the council, you can just straight up revoke multiple duchies without claims at once with impunity. Another perk in that tree makes vassals outside your de jure much easier to manage, and in addition to the development perks in the architect tree, there's also one for increasing popular opinion in your counties, which means you can easily rule over an entire domain of wrong culture/religion counties without difficulty.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Playing as a boomer I see

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Reveilled posted:

No way, the administration tree is extremely useful for an independent ruler, there's perks for increasing vassal opinion (especially councillors) and increasing the rate at which tyranny decays. If you've taken most of those perks and make sure your powerful vassals are on the council, you can just straight up revoke multiple duchies without claims at once with impunity. Another perk in that tree makes vassals outside your de jure much easier to manage, and in addition to the development perks in the architect tree, there's also one for increasing popular opinion in your counties, which means you can easily rule over an entire domain of wrong culture/religion counties without difficulty.

Hmm good points there

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

As a Diplomacy-focused queen is there a good strategy to take control of a fellow kingdom (we are both vassals in the same tribal empire?)

There's always war but I would like to do this more cleanly, especially since he's being buoyed by several powerful allies outside the empire.

I know there's also intrigue but I am both too impatient and math.gif to use succession strats. I guess I could level up intrigue again to do abductions

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I'm missing something playing this. I did a short playthrough as the Kingdom of Astorias and got attacked by the Muslims to the South. They had over 3k men to throw at me.
I play as said Muslims and get little over 1k and Astorias gets over 2k. I'm on normal difficulty, but feel like the AI gets ridiculous bonuses. Is there some game mechanic I'm missing?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Excelzior posted:

compromise - add in ckii societies but also Hard and Very Hard difficulty

i'm sorry but if I will crush the AI every single time if I am not penalized because the AI is incredibly dumb and predictable

It's kind of silly that there are no difficulties above Normal, I can't even remember the last time I saw a game with difficulty levels do that.

Artifacts I don't especially miss, you could stack an absurd amount of practically permanent bonuses for the rest of game with them which made them kind of a no-brainer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The worst part of starting 867 is getting the heck out of Confederate Partition. Regular Partition and up are totally fine but Confederate suuuuuucks

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Hazzard posted:

I'm missing something playing this. I did a short playthrough as the Kingdom of Astorias and got attacked by the Muslims to the South. They had over 3k men to throw at me.
I play as said Muslims and get little over 1k and Astorias gets over 2k. I'm on normal difficulty, but feel like the AI gets ridiculous bonuses. Is there some game mechanic I'm missing?

Mercenaries and/or allies? More men-at-arms?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

I just love the title 'the BLOOD FATHER'.

This game has gone well, but having the Papacy just holding half of England (and the HRE holding another quarter) is making future expansion very tough. The Papacy in this game is just swimming in money and typically has about 30k mercs raised at any given time. My vassals continue to gamely declare holy wars for the duchy of Mercia and get loving stomped over and over again.

Good game, 10/10

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

The worst part of starting 867 is getting the heck out of Confederate Partition. Regular Partition and up are totally fine but Confederate suuuuuucks

Regular partition basically looks the same?

So is the difference that if I have multiple king-level titles, I could destroy the other ones and prevent anyone from inheriting those titles and thus leaving the realm as independents? Whereas in Confederate Partition those titles would be recreated and handed out to other heirs?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Regular partition basically looks the same?

So is the difference that if I have multiple king-level titles, I could destroy the other ones and prevent anyone from inheriting those titles and thus leaving the realm as independents? Whereas in Confederate Partition those titles would be recreated and handed out to other heirs?

Correct.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Man I wrote alot.

whole of body and its entire tree, and especially the perk which gives you 12 months warning for natural death, are potentially going to need nerfing not buffing imo. i took it on three rulers and had them all live to die at age 70+ and were seemingly immune from diseases or health issues. the death warning perk feels completely broken for gavelkind because you dont have to worry about killing off or disinheriting kids to line things up only to have things fall apart. you just do it all in that last 12 months and youre all but guaranteed to get exactly the inheritance you want. again i did this on 3 rulers in a row moving from duchy to empire as tribal and lost 0 land during the entire thing. extremely strong.

stewardship is just generally strong. more money, more levies, quicker reinforcement, cheaper buildings, faster buildings, straight +2 personal holdings etc. theres so much worth taking. again specifically for tribal currently, taking the entire architect tree as you reform into feudal is probably almost mandatory. if they change it so you dont get all your holdings wiped out then it wont be so crucial, but having all your building and development wiped when you switch right now means you want all of those bonuses as soon as possible to rebuild. admin is a fantastic tree to take with a young disliked heir and then switch out of once youve established yourself again. the ability to reset once per character makes a lot of these trees a lot more useful when you realise you arent locked to them and can start thinking about going down one route early and then resetting to switch out late in their life.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

canada jezus posted:

What are everyone's favorite lifestyles? I know the "best" ones are probably whatever you need atm (and stewardship in general), but like just favorites? I quite love the torturer/intrigue one. Just everyone poo poo scared of you, kidnapping motherfuckers and torturing them for funsies. Diplomacy is great though, make friends, everyone loving you, tons of prestige. Learning is situational but cool. I haven't played any martial characters yet, but i think that'll be my next game. Try to stack up knight effectiveness bonus and roleplay family power ranger killing peasants.

edit: Also can i get into weird witchcraft stuff? Haven't seen any of that yet.

Golden Obligations in stewardship tree. Hey I need money to build up my lands. I will just take money from everyone who I have a hook on. Oh it appears I have a hook on everyone because everyone is an adulterer.

That is something I am finding to be a bit of annoyance right now. There is far too much adultery going on. You just get constant spam of messages about your vassals cheating around. It could be toned down a bit I feel.

Gyshall posted:

What is the earliest/best "Tutorial Island" start for tribals?

I found Prussia to be fairly easy.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TBH I rarely finish off the trees, the capstone perks are almost never worth investing through the garbage branch/es

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Sweden is out of control.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Randarkman posted:

There's very early perks in the Gallant tree that specifically makes it less dangerous. With a good ruler with decent martial and prowess and some perks filled in I actually find it really good to have lead him armies and not that dangerous. Risks of course, but I'll take them.

It might just be that I've been very lucky but I've been having my characters take command all the time and they've never got a scratch on them (taking that first gallant perk beforehand of course). I would have thought that my current character surely would've caught an early battlefield death since she has Brave which gives +100% to the chance of dying in battle but she has lived so long that I'm getting a little antsy because I've got a genius heir lined up.

Meanwhile in CK2 I died all the time leading armies.