Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Man, why did they have to give the Enyaq a faux-grill? Or am I missing the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

bolind posted:

Man, why did they have to give the Enyaq a faux-grill? Or am I missing the point?

The point is brand recognition. Some designer probably designed I without "the iconic skoda grille" but than people didn't immediately recognized it as a skoda so the put the grille back on.
Designing a car without a grille that still looks like your brand is pretty hard since the companies never had to do it. I'd guess it will take a couple more car generations till we are past the "closed off grille that looks like the one from the ice" phase.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They should go full retro and dust off the moulds and tooling from the old air cooled rear engined Skoda's.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

did someone say they paid over MSRP for a Hyundai?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

The “gotta have it factor”

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

bird with big dick posted:

People have been paying thousands over sticker for palisades and tellurides for the past 18 months all over the country.

That’s what happens when supply is significantly lower than demand.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Kreez posted:

After 3 weeks of frustrating experiences with multiple Hyundai dealers, we finally managed to get a dealer to present us with an offer sheet that was actually equivalent to the price advertised on their website. But of course even these guys felt the need to try and slip a $250 wheel lock set into the final paperwork after we'd verbally confirmed the number. $800 above MSRP, but at least it's what they were advertising. I've never been involved in buying a car from a dealer before, and I'm not anxious to do it again anytime soon. If I had to have another exchange along the lines of "So can you just give us the out the door price?" "Well what you have to understand about the two tone paint is that the chief designer of Audi..." I'll go insane.

The Kona (and EVs in general I suppose) is super fun to drive though, the acceleration from stop is crazy compared to my ancient WRX that takes about 2 minutes for the turbo to spool up. Looking forward to borrowing it!

This is why you just goto tesla.com and put in a credit card number. Done deal in about 45 seconds.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Shamino posted:

This is why you just goto tesla.com and put in a credit card number. Done deal in about 45 seconds.

Yeah this kind of crap is where established car makers really need to sort their poo poo out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shamino posted:

Yea, but you don’t actually have a car at the end of that. And you can’t get a Tesla for the price of a Kona EV.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shamino posted:

i really don't understand people who enjoy the "dealership experience"

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Shamino posted:

Lmao. Then go thru 6 - 12 months of waiting, delays, issues to end up with a panel gapped leaky shitbox.

👍🏼👌🏻

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

pointsofdata posted:

I've done it twice and that was two times too many, it seems to be less horrific here (UK) but you'd get out and realise it's taken you over 3 hours from "I want to buy" to everything being signed. I bought a BMW which was inside the dealership; all clean and ready to go and I still lost half a day to waiting for the sales person to get all the paperwork sorted.

Next car is going to be a lease bought online.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, just got message that the Seat Mii electric i ordered in February will arrive in December if i'm lucky but its more likely gonna be January. Who would have guessed that a small affordable EV would sell so well!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cancelbot posted:

Next car is going to be a lease bought online.

Here you go https://www.hitachicapitalvehiclesolutions.co.uk/car-leasing/porsche/taycan/420kw-4s-93kwh-4dr-auto-1520742

(that is an upsetting amount less than the cost over here)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

I don't like it much - but at least it isn't horrible here.

My old man bought a used Toyota from a dealership earlier this year, the whole process was done in less than 30 minutes.

When I bought my Tesla, it took an hour or so, mostly because of some dumb financing poo poo. The rest was NBD.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shamino posted:

And if it's CPO, it's only a few months of waiting with a mere three or four false delivery confirmations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

pointsofdata posted:

I was going to say, do those exist? But then I remembered that BDSM is a thing, so...

Neither of the places we seriously dealt with for the Bolt were too bad, the first wanted to tack on key fob insurance for $350 (same coverage available from regular insurer for $30) then screwed up actually delivering the vehicle. Second dealer was straight forward but still wanted us to take a test drive even though we already had with the previous dealer and knew exactly what we wanted. A bit weird but whatever. Still far, far better than Mercedes Benz.

The "insert credit card here" thing was a major selling point for Tesla.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I decided I really couldn't live without a luggage net, sorting that involved physically going back to the dealership today and signing another 7 page contract.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

I was going to say, do those exist? But then I remembered that BDSM is a thing, so...

Neither of the places we seriously dealt with for the Bolt were too bad, the first wanted to tack on key fob insurance for $350 (same coverage available from regular insurer for $30) then screwed up actually delivering the vehicle. Second dealer was straight forward but still wanted us to take a test drive even though we already had with the previous dealer and knew exactly what we wanted. A bit weird but whatever. Still far, far better than Mercedes Benz.

The "insert credit card here" thing was a major selling point for Tesla.

I've definitely read posts on heare about people going over the details of it and comparing across brands, in a "they gave me a free coffee and complimented my watch" sort of way

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Shamino posted:

After the first week of dealing with dealerships, the Model 3 moved way up the list of preferred alternatives on that basis alone. Hopefully other manufacturers move in that direction.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Nitr0 posted:

Lmao. Then go thru 6 - 12 months of waiting, delays, issues to end up with a panel gapped leaky shitbox.

👍🏼👌🏻

My wife's model y was ready in a week and had no issues. Something tells me you have an agenda.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

New ID.4 ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG1DuiEJc-w

I need that Blue in my life.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Westy543 posted:

New ID.4 ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG1DuiEJc-w

I need that Blue in my life.

An official ad, but still with the taped grill and headlights? :wtc:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

An official ad, but still with the taped grill and headlights? :wtc:

I was wondering why it looked weird. Still think the Skoda looks like the better option.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
It's different in the US vs EU also

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I’m assuming available in the EU on 9/22, but in the US... q4 2020?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Production hasn't geared up for the americas out of TN yet.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

VideoGameVet posted:

Escondido Kia told me that they sell a lot of EV’s a Plug-In Hybrids to Arizona residents. I expect their Hyundai dealership does the same.

I can believe it, you ask any brands dealership about PHEVs here and they basically laugh. If you're not a CARB state you can basically get hosed. We might see a Rav4 PHEV in Arizona in 2023 if they can manage to make batteries at volume. (or any more at all really) I gave up on trying to find a PHEV, but as said, running into the same drat issues with just a hybrid for some models.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Shamino posted:

My wife's model y was ready in a week and had no issues. Something tells me you have an agenda.

Nah man nah, have fun with your bad car made by a bad company with a bad ceo and bad employees with bad standards. Hope you get your ticket to Mars soon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 7, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Please don't take the obvious bait, just report it and move on, tia. :sun:

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

I can believe it, you ask any brands dealership about PHEVs here and they basically laugh. If you're not a CARB state you can basically get hosed. We might see a Rav4 PHEV in Arizona in 2023 if they can manage to make batteries at volume. (or any more at all really) I gave up on trying to find a PHEV, but as said, running into the same drat issues with just a hybrid for some models.

We've managed to buy a Prius Prime and a Bolt in Arizona over the past two years. The Prius was fairly easy to come by, AutoNation Tempe had several in stock.

The Bolt took quite a bit longer, but we simply told several dealerships what we wanted and what we were willing to pay. I think it was three weeks later we got the call back from Courtesy and the first time we went to the dealership, we drove it home a few hours later. Wasn't thrilled at the Oasis Blue, but the packages and the price were right. Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome, but I'm glad we ended up with a lively color instead of another shade of grey.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kreez posted:

After the first week of dealing with dealerships, the Model 3 moved way up the list of preferred alternatives on that basis alone. Hopefully other manufacturers move in that direction.

My last car was purchased entirely via email. If you’re not looking for something rare you basically shouldn’t ever set foot in a dealership except to sign papers for an agreed upon price and pick up the car, and sometimes you can even work around that and have it delivered.

Shamino posted:

Well if one guy has a good experience we can definitely assume everyone everywhere does.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shamino posted:

Ok but did she Love The Car?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

My last car was purchased entirely via email. If you’re not looking for something rare you basically shouldn’t ever set foot in a dealership except to sign papers for an agreed upon price and pick up the car, and sometimes you can even work around that and have it delivered.

The only time i've bought a car I did it over email via my credit union's car purchasing service and I can't fathom not doing it this way

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How is the cabin airfilter in the Tesla Model 3? I know it doesn't have the giant one like the X, but it has some HEPA system or similar?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Charles posted:

How is the cabin airfilter in the Tesla Model 3? I know it doesn't have the giant one like the X, but it has some HEPA system or similar?

You can get replacement HEPA filters for most cars, though they don’t really make much difference beyond the stock air filter that comes on most cars.

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-regular-car-air-filter-be-swapped-with-a-HEPA-air-filter

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Tesla-Model-X-have-a-bioweapon-defense-mode/answer/Thomas-Talhelm?ch=10&share=5ba4b6c6&srid=2QXl

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't care about the rating, I care about if it's effective. I have a 2006 Mazda 3 with a cabin air filter and it doesn't do poo poo for smoke or diesel or whatever. My Mercedes will block out wildfire smoke though, so I'm wondering how the Model 3 will do at it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shamino posted:

I see you haven't read this thread

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Charles posted:

My Mercedes will block out wildfire smoke though

I had no idea this was possible. I need to pay attention and get something before B.C. starts burning down. (Next year, unless someone has one of those rager gender reveal parties during this unusual September weather.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hexigrammus posted:

I had no idea this was possible. I need to pay attention and get something before B.C. starts burning down. (Next year, unless someone has one of those rager gender reveal parties during this unusual September weather.)

I didn't even know it was that good until I got out of the car after driving a few hundred miles and it stunk really bad ouside. Unfortunately it's getting old and rusty.

And yeah tonight in Seattle it smells terrible so you'll probably get some if you're close to the border.