Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Strange Aeon posted:

Who has Wolverine actually killed to justify him being the best there is at what he does?

Thousands of nameless goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #18 (1941)

The Fantastic Four #10 (1963)

The Mighty Marvel Superheroes' Cookbook (1977)

The Sensational She-Hulk #14 (1990)

Skrull Kill Krew #2 (1995)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Who has Wolverine actually killed to justify him being the best there is at what he does?

Wolverine is honestly extremely good at killing people who are not omnipotent giant cosmic deities. He kind of has the Spider-Man thing where it is treated as entirely plausible that if the story demands it he can kill almost anyone. He doesn't often get to because lol comic death but the combination of being able to cut anything and heal from anything tends to be a very potent mix. At its most extreme you get elseworlds stuff where Wolverine is shown to be able to kill almost every superhero or supervillain who exists.

He's still going to lose in a fight with Galactus or whatever but they've generally established that Wolverine's killing credentials are top of the line. (Which is why he gets jobbed so often to show off how powerful a new villain is.) For a while Sabertooth's entire thing was "is like Wolverine but is so tough Wolverine can't even kill him" but that's kinda fallen way by the wayside these days.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ImpAtom posted:

For a while Sabertooth's entire thing was "is like Wolverine but is so tough Wolverine can't even kill him" but that's kinda fallen way by the wayside these days.

Isn't his current thing to torture Wolverine on his birthday, like Thanos does to that totally unknown human for no reason at all?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his current thing is to be buried alive under krakoa

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Binary Badger posted:

Isn't his current thing to torture Wolverine on his birthday, like Thanos does to that totally unknown human for no reason at all?

That was a one off gag many years ago when Wolverine was the headmaster of the Jean Grey School.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Darthemed posted:

Whiz Comics #18 (1941)

The Fantastic Four #10 (1963)

The Mighty Marvel Superheroes' Cookbook (1977)

The Sensational She-Hulk #14 (1990)

Skrull Kill Krew #2 (1995)

This reminded me that I'd been meaning to make a mod challenge thread for comic book inspired recipes and cooking. I'll put together an OP this weekend but lord I would love to see what that kung fu burger looks like in practice because I can not wrap my head around it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

That was a one off gag many years ago when Wolverine was the headmaster of the Jean Grey School.

It was before that. I remember Jay and Miles mentioning it on an early appearance. He killed one of Logan's many girlfriends as a birthday 'gift' and IIRC just showed up to beat the poo poo out of him on another

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

It was before that. I remember Jay and Miles mentioning it on an early appearance. He killed one of Logan's many girlfriends as a birthday 'gift' and IIRC just showed up to beat the poo poo out of him on another

Oh, didn't realize it had been a recurring thing, I was thinking of the panels of him putting razor wire in the road then jetpacking away that's been posted a bunch in various funny panel threads.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

This reminded me that I'd been meaning to make a mod challenge thread for comic book inspired recipes and cooking. I'll put together an OP this weekend but lord I would love to see what that kung fu burger looks like in practice because I can not wrap my head around it.

The recipe looks weirder the more I study it. So it's ground beef and chow mein noodles and vegetables mushed together? And then you bake it for 25 minutes ... wouldn't that turn out dry as hell? Admittedly, I have no experience working with canned chow mein, which is probably the only form the average American would have been familiar with in 1977.

Meanwhile, the Hulkburger just looks like a knockoff Big Mac.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Oh, didn't realize it had been a recurring thing, I was thinking of the panels of him putting razor wire in the road then jetpacking away that's been posted a bunch in various funny panel threads.

I think it got established in 1987 in the backup to Classic X-Men #10, although looking back at it while it makes sense as the first appearance of the birthday thing, the story never actually says it's Logan's birthday. It's just a weird story about Sabretooth hunting him and beating him up. It's a neat story with beautiful John Bolton pencils but maybe not a clear-cut origin of this trope. I think Claremont really starts to solidify the idea in Wolverine #10 in 1989, which shows Sabretooth deliberately taunting and going after Logan's loved ones on two separate birthdays-- one in the past, in... Canada...? and one in the present in Madripoor. It's another really nice issue (Bill Sienkiewicz inking John Buscema!) and really spells it out that this is something Sabretooth does as a sick birthday present.

It looks like there are a healthy amount of Sabretooth appearances between those two issues so I don't know, maybe Claremont plays with the idea a little bit more in between, but I think most of them are appearances with the Marauders or fights with non-Wolverine teams, so I'd be kind of surprised.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

A Strange Aeon posted:

They actually address this once!
He killed Death. Or, like, one of Death's personal agents who goes after dying soldiers on the battlefield. It was also used to explain some stuff that was, then, recent yet inconsistent with Wolverine, like his healing factor being power creeped to hell, and was supposed to result in that being dialed back, but comic books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Strange Aeon posted:

His kids

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CzarChasm posted:

No, it's not really. But, if I nearly murder Wolverine in the most painful way possible, in an event that starts a chain reaction that causes him to basically de-evolve and then go through another almost equally painful procedure to put all the metal back into his body, and he says we're square after upending a piss bucket onto my head, I'm not going to argue with him.
if he doesn't say "well i had a bone to pick with you" then i'm gonna gently caress with him again.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

KaosMachina posted:

They actually address this once!
He killed Death. Or, like, one of Death's personal agents who goes after dying soldiers on the battlefield. It was also used to explain some stuff that was, then, recent yet inconsistent with Wolverine, like his healing factor being power creeped to hell, and was supposed to result in that being dialed back, but comic books.

Weird, that doesn't get referenced much does it? It has the same patina of "okay but doesn't seem to stick to the character" as Frank Castle becoming an angel or whatever.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Selachian posted:

The recipe looks weirder the more I study it. So it's ground beef and chow mein noodles and vegetables mushed together? And then you bake it for 25 minutes ... wouldn't that turn out dry as hell? Admittedly, I have no experience working with canned chow mein, which is probably the only form the average American would have been familiar with in 1977.

Meanwhile, the Hulkburger just looks like a knockoff Big Mac.

I took a look and I am still not sure how it would work. It was apparently pretty popular in the postwar decades (Chun King was, of course, started by an Italian). To my pampered 21st century sensibilities, the idea of cooking 3 pounds of "family-economy" 1960s American canned chinese food makes me want to vomit, but what do I know.

I'm also not an expert on mixing minced beef with what is essentially canned pasta, but wouldn't all the liquid in the sauce just make the whole thing a soggy mess?

Bonus terrible slogan:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I had a bad feeling it would be precisely that, so if anybody wants to do the kung fu burger please feel free to do... an elevated or revised version or whatever doesn't require having to consume Chinese Chef Boyardee From Kennedy Times.

Edit: The thread has been made if people want to continue discussing the kung fu burger here.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 6, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ImpAtom posted:

Wolverine is honestly extremely good at killing people who are not omnipotent giant cosmic deities. He kind of has the Spider-Man thing where it is treated as entirely plausible that if the story demands it he can kill almost anyone. He doesn't often get to because lol comic death but the combination of being able to cut anything and heal from anything tends to be a very potent mix. At its most extreme you get elseworlds stuff where Wolverine is shown to be able to kill almost every superhero or supervillain who exists.

He's still going to lose in a fight with Galactus or whatever but they've generally established that Wolverine's killing credentials are top of the line. (Which is why he gets jobbed so often to show off how powerful a new villain is.) For a while Sabertooth's entire thing was "is like Wolverine but is so tough Wolverine can't even kill him" but that's kinda fallen way by the wayside these days.

What I'm getting from all this is Wolvie is Marvel's Worf.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Correct.

(I'm sure this has been posted before but it's from Stark Trek/X-Men)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Discendo Vox posted:

And Ben Grimm is happy to have someone share the duties. Guy got knocked cold by Madrox in his first appearance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Stark trek is the newest iron man mini

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This is a super-minor detail but one I found really funny in Dark Knights - Death Metal Guidebook. If you are not familiar with DC's Death Metal event, it doesn't matter. Blah, blah, the world's a shithole overrun by evil Batmen, who cares. For the purpose of this, there's a frame narrative where Lex Luthor is going around taking notes about all the details of this hell world, and this page covers how Superman is trapped in Metropolis

I love how Lex takes time to add "Hope. HA!" on his Superman drawing. Like Jesus dude, get over it, it's the end of the world.

Anyway here's something more conventionally funny. Empyre - X-Men #2: A bunch of old botanist ladies have used plant pheromones to mind control the male members of the team.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"sauceboat"

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Avengers & The Infinity Gauntlet (2010)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Phy posted:

"sauceboat"

"What's the most offensive word we can put here, but still pass the censors and get it to print?"
"I mean we could just say 'the size of the balls on this b****' and be done with it.."
"What about 'sauceboat'?"
"...go on"

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Infinitum posted:

"What's the most offensive word we can put here, but still pass the censors and get it to print?"
"I mean we could just say 'the size of the balls on this b****' and be done with it.."
"What about 'sauceboat'?"
"...go on"

Is this a recognized term or did the writer here just make it up for get-past-the-censors-reasons?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Is this a recognized term or did the writer here just make it up for get-past-the-censors-reasons?

It's not even a euphemism on urbandictionary.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the idea is that it is supposed to be inscrutable ancient slang but it doesn't really work

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Anyway here's something more conventionally funny. Empyre - X-Men #2: A bunch of old botanist ladies have used plant pheromones to mind control the male members of the team.

That's an extremely tortured punchline.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The sauceboat line is obvious and hilarious, why would you be trying to urbandictionary that? Just stop being goony for 2 seconds.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Alhazred posted:

I know, I love it. Magik not quite getting snappy patter due to her upbringing is how I interpret it, and I greatly enjoy how it's clunky and yet still badass. :allears:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Might as well post the funny stuff that leads up to it...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think the idea is that it is supposed to be inscrutable ancient slang but it doesn't really work

It's not slang, there's just no rhyme or reason for the way some old people get around cursing. My mom has been calling people that piss her off 'a son of submariner' and 'flip the dog' instead of goddammit since I was a little kid.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My mom has been calling people that piss her off 'a son of submariner'

Did she also poison the water around Doma Castle?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Alhazred posted:

Thank God it's not just me.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The only person who wouldn't be able to understand what "sauceboat" is a euphemism for is Ben Shapiro.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

h of an s-boat make that pull out game weak.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This is what I get for posting the follow-up panel after the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also someone oughta call Samus Aran and let her know some old lady with a can of bug spray is biting her style