Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

TATANKA
BUFFALO
TATANKA
BUFFALO

I got Native American blood in my veins and I fight
IN THE WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION

I listened to that album way too much as a kid.

Tatanka was at King of Trios 2012 as part of Team WWF (with 1-2-3 Kid and Aldo Montoya) and during that weekend he had a singles match. He came out to that song and the fans treated it like it was "Judas."

Coincidentally, his opponent was Pineapple Pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I was watching old japan matches and was wondering why you don't see the whole "Wrestlers covered in streamers" as much anymore.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

You still see it constantly in Joshi promotions, though not right now because of Da Roni

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LionYeti posted:

I was watching old japan matches and was wondering why you don't see the whole "Wrestlers covered in streamers" as much anymore.

Well, it was never really a New Japan thing, it was an All Japan thing (talking exclusively about the men's side of things here). And it still is, if you watch Kento Miyahara vs Jake Lee from January for the Triple Crown you'll still get streamers thrown in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUM1bqZjfo&t=595s

It still rules. And as NOAH was an All Japan off-shoot you still see it there too, as seen in this GHC Heavyweight title match from the same weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh1g_XFcmd0&t=411s

But you won't see it during the pandemic.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

LionYeti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coJDS-r7Sd8&t=29s

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Well, it was never really a New Japan thing, it was an All Japan thing (talking exclusively about the men's side of things here). And it still is, if you watch Kento Miyahara vs Jake Lee from January for the Triple Crown you'll still get streamers thrown in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUM1bqZjfo&t=595s

It still rules. And as NOAH was an All Japan off-shoot you still see it there too, as seen in this GHC Heavyweight title match from the same weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh1g_XFcmd0&t=411s

But you won't see it during the pandemic.

Ahh I see, I thought it was an All of Japan thing when its an All Japan thing

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

The Nasty Boys are just plain nasty - NASTAYYYYYYYYY

edit - dammit, topic change :/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I loved the bit where Serpentico tries to shoot him off of the headlock and he just drops to one knee and maintains it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

davidbix posted:

And how about "ARE YOU READAAAAAYYYYY FOR THE SURVIVOR SERIES?" being Jimmy Garvin in his try-out standup interview from '92? (Gene's "WHO WILL SURVIVE?" is from the same segment.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYy0vZWgIk

This is such a bizarre clip. It really shows the divide between WCW and WWF fans, too, as it seemed like 90% of the crowd had no clue who Garvin was.

I can see why they might not have picked him up based on this. His jokes had a little too much innuendo for that era but I was dying at Gene trying not to crack up as they kept saying Kamala was going to eat the box.

Kinda crazy that they used that sample from a screen test for the album as well.

Thanks for sharing this, I'd never seen it before.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Ganso Bomb posted:

This is such a bizarre clip. It really shows the divide between WCW and WWF fans, too, as it seemed like 90% of the crowd had no clue who Garvin was.

I can see why they might not have picked him up based on this. His jokes had a little too much innuendo for that era but I was dying at Gene trying not to crack up as they kept saying Kamala was going to eat the box.

Kinda crazy that they used that sample from a screen test for the album as well.

Thanks for sharing this, I'd never seen it before.
Never mind that there was no reason to use either sample: Why are they building the beginning of "WrestleMania" off of promo samples about the Survivor Series in the first place? What did Stock and Waterman ask for as far as samples, anyway? Guessing only Jimmy Hart or Jim Johnston would have answers, at least among people that we could actually try to ask.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LionYeti posted:

Ahh I see, I thought it was an All of Japan thing when its an All Japan thing

New Japan does not have the best history with their crowds throwing things in the ring.

Throwing your cushions in the air following the first G1 Climax final: good!

Lighting your cushion on fire and throwing it at the ring because you’re drunk, got a rip-off main event and then Takeshi Kitano brought out Big Van Vader in his debut and had him beat the poo poo out of Inoki: very, very bad! Like lose your prime time TV slot and be banned from Sumo Hall bad!

After that incident they pretty much went “so uh no fan is ever allowed to throw anything into the ring ever again, we will shoot streamers ourselves for celebrations”

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

davidbix posted:

Never mind that there was no reason to use either sample: Why are they building the beginning of "WrestleMania" off of promo samples about the Survivor Series in the first place? What did Stock and Waterman ask for as far as samples, anyway? Guessing only Jimmy Hart or Jim Johnston would have answers, at least among people that we could actually try to ask.

I seem to remember someone (MRT?) saying that the record producers were given a list of "WWF keywords" or something to that effect, one of which was "Survivor Series". Presumably they were given a fair amount of audio to play with, and it just kind of ended up in there? Idk.

Fun fact, Pete Waterman is a massive train nerd and is so rich he can actually play real life train sets.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The people responsible for making it good were probably traveling around the country five days a week. Maybe they got to the studio in time to supervise the music but not the lyrics or the clips, then had to do a loop of seven southern cities.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

The Cameo posted:

New Japan does not have the best history with their crowds throwing things in the ring.

Throwing your cushions in the air following the first G1 Climax final: good!

Lighting your cushion on fire and throwing it at the ring because you’re drunk, got a rip-off main event and then Takeshi Kitano brought out Big Van Vader in his debut and had him beat the poo poo out of Inoki: very, very bad! Like lose your prime time TV slot and be banned from Sumo Hall bad!

After that incident they pretty much went “so uh no fan is ever allowed to throw anything into the ring ever again, we will shoot streamers ourselves for celebrations”

the first G1 Climax final was Mutoh vs Chono, right? That was really good!

was Big Van Vader the first "monster heel squashes the ace" angle New Japan did, which warranted such a reaction?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

was Big Van Vader the first "monster heel squashes the ace" angle New Japan did, which warranted such a reaction?

They were promised a big Inoki/Choshu match that got interrupted by bullshit with Takeshi and Vader. The match did happen but went all of 6 minutes and ended in a DQ followed by the Vader match. It was a perfect storm of booking to piss off the fans.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

They were promised a big Inoki/Choshu match that got interrupted by bullshit with Takeshi and Vader. The match did happen but went all of 6 minutes and ended in a DQ followed by the Vader match. It was a perfect storm of booking to piss off the fans.

Stories about the riot (probably shaped by new Japan) tend to forget the Choshu part and just focus on the Vader part as it adds to the mystique and wow Vader was so hated fans rioted when they did a BS DQ match for what should of been a big match. Especially given this is the era of UWFi clean finishes but hey Foreign monster and not Inoki being Inoki caused the riot!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Schneider Heim posted:

Yes, although the pillow throwing was a reprise of the more spontaneous post-match for an even better Mutoh-Vader league match a few days earlier at a non-televised show: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2saq7a

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Well wtf was he thinking, booking that lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Well wtf was he thinking, booking that lol

well you see, antonio inoki is a crazy person

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I completely forgot Beat Takeshi was involved in that, which makes it the Most Bubble Japan Thing possible.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

LionYeti posted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GlumDazzlingDromaeosaur-mobile.mp4

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Was it John Morrison that break danced into a pile of streamers? Or another wrestler.

Thats what I always think of when I hear talk about streamers being thrown into the ring.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Custard Undies posted:

Was it John Morrison that break danced into a pile of streamers? Or another wrestler.

Thats what I always think of when I hear talk about streamers being thrown into the ring.

Jack Evans does it: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...tm_source=share

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Antonio Inoki is secretly just as crazy as Vince, except he actually got to achieve real power with his lovely politics, so in a way he's even worse than Vince.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Who would win in a tag match, Vince and Trump or Inoki and Bolsonaro?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Who would win in a tag match, Vince and Trump or Inoki and Bolsonaro?

Bolsonaro would contract COVID three times during his ring entrance.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Benne posted:

Antonio Inoki is secretly just as crazy as Vince, except he actually got to achieve real power with his lovely politics, so in a way he's even worse than Vince.

Dunno if I'd call that a secret.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Inoki's brand of crazy is going to Iraq to successfully negotiate the release of hostages, converts to Islam to do so and becomes devout, and keeps it a secret for decades.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Don't forget Inoki Friendship Island!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Vince crucified other people on his TV show,n Inoki crucified only himself. Who this is a point for IDK.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Are there any transgender men in wrestling?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Aside from Hogan, Hall and Nash, which wrestlers do you most associate the NWO with? I think guys like Steiner and Bischoff are probably the most recognised outside the original trio.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Aside from Hogan, Hall and Nash, which wrestlers do you most associate the NWO with? I think guys like Steiner and Bischoff are probably the most recognised outside the original trio.

Scott Norton

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Alaois posted:

Scott Norton

Oddly enough, this was my choice as well, and for some reason, after that, the name that comes to mind is Masa Chono.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bagwell

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Vincent

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

fatherofmustard posted:

Are there any transgender men in wrestling?

I've looked into this before. Only one I can find with any kind of profile is a Barcelona based wrestler called Eros who wrestles for Riot Wrestling. (he's the guy in white on Team Rage in this match) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-JGDEl8JUE

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

NWO Wikipedia page posted:

The subtractions of The Giant and Hennig from the nWo "black and white" left a short-lived group sardonically labeled the nWo B-Team by fans and commentators. This "B-Team" was a staple of WCW programming throughout 1999, and it officially consisted of Stevie Ray, Brian Adams, Vincent, Horace, and Scott Norton.[50] Stevie Ray eventually became their leader after winning a 4-man Battle Royal match on the April 5 episode of Nitro (Norton was not present for this match).

Is this the most pathetic stable in wrestling history? (I'm not counting Norton because anything with Norton is automatically the tremendous thing in wrestling).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want to know more about Horace Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
This is more of a "refresh my memory" question, but how did WWE try to transfer the "YES" chant to the Big Show?