Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

fuckin' owns, what on earth is it doing in this thread

look at this poo poo and tell me you wouldn't

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Memento posted:

I wouldn’t because all you’re doing is using your car as two poles for a lovely elevated tent.

Edit: lol that piece of trash is 1800 bucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The whole point of a rooftop tent is to make setup easier. How is it easier when you have to mount it on the car every time you park?

Unless he's driving around with that thing attached, in which case loving lol what an idiot.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah but when he hits 88-MPH you'll see some poo poo

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
He'd better hope the bonfire doesn't melt the bodywork a-la groverhaus's siding

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Memento posted:

Wouldnt.

Maybe if it had a suspension change that actually can let it go over a pothole without frame scrape I'd think differently

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
That car hasn't seen a dirt road in its life. I'm convinced he airlifted it in there, or there's a paved road just out of frame.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That nsx owns, gently caress the haters. Also your dumb title was too long so I fixed it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wouldnt.

Maybe if it had a suspension change that actually can let it go over a pothole without frame scrape I'd think differently

Well then today's your lucky day!

quote:

It's on D2 air suspension with ride height sensors and Air Lift 3H management. It lifts to give me about 8-inches of ground clearance. This should allow for some mild off-roading to get to camp sites. The rest of the stuff is just cosmetic or for practicality.

This is what it looks like with everything packed away

It's attached with vacuum pump suction cups so there's no holes drilled, and the car itself doesn't support the weight while the tent is open, the poles to the ground take everything.

Memento fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 4, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That owns, 8" of ground clearance in an NSX?!
E: disappointed there's no picture of it raised up but he is building a trailer from a second twice-wrecked NSX shell so that should be awesome

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 4, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

100% wrong thread, the details make it so much better

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Memento posted:

It's attached with vacuum pump suction cups so there's no holes drilled, and the car itself doesn't support the weight while the tent is open, the poles to the ground take everything.

lmao

He’s going to freeze his rear end off in that thing if there’s any wind at all and he’s foregoing the benefits of his megabuck tent. It’s a stupid thing executed well and it looks like he’s doing it all for the clicks anyway.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Midjack posted:

It’s a stupid thing executed well

yeah, and it fuckin' rules

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have a lot of trouble believing that thing has anything like 8" of ground clearance. The kind of poo poo you have to do to trucks with independent suspension to get an 8" jump in ground clearance (or 4x, or whatever, "a large jump") would be real hard to hide on a car like that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Thats actually worse. Def hard gently caress no bags gotta go

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Memento posted:

I turbo would, but my buddy and I were convinced it was fake. Both of us said if it was real it would be amazing, so I'm amazed.

e, Oh poo poo my quote is now the thread name, hell yis!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Krakkles posted:

I have a lot of trouble believing that thing has anything like 8" of ground clearance. The kind of poo poo you have to do to trucks with independent suspension to get an 8" jump in ground clearance (or 4x, or whatever, "a large jump") would be real hard to hide on a car like that.
Yeah, there is absolutely no loving way it has 8" of ground clearance even with the airbags maxed out.

Here's a shot of the car on a lift recently from the guy's IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCg5PfenZkv/

I'd eyeball that at five, maybe six inches of clearance if the airbags were able to push the car to full droop like that, and any compression of the suspension would obviously lower that number. Apparently a stock one has 3.7" of ground clearance so getting to five seems reasonable, six would be pushing it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i would just drive a different vehicle that was not my nsx camping

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

but... then you'll never make use of your camping-equipped nsx

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Wrong. loving. Thread.

I'm not big on it being lowered, BFGs would loving own but hey, I'd rock the poo poo out of it as is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would give my nsx tracks.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That's more clearance than my Chrysler Town & Country has. The neato fold-down-into-the-floor seats really eat up the clearance.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Memento posted:

this is excessively excellent, gently caress the haters

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wallaka posted:

More like G-body front suspension, really. The rotors interchanged, at least. But that’s pretty much a truck suspension anyway.

The Astro is 5 on 5" bolt circle, at least our 2000 was, and used the pickup wheels. Later ones even used the 6 on 5.5".
But I get you - the spindle size/bearings are the same, as I recall, and it's definitely an 8.5" rearend suing the same brake shoes as an S10/Sonoma (I had brake shoes I never used for my wife's Sonoma, and kept them because I discovered that they would fit the Astro, too. And never used them there, either! Still have the damned things. 20-odd year old brake pads...)
I believe the Astro used 12" rotors, though, as well.

Did earlier Astros use 5 on 4-3/4"? Now that I think about it, I seem to recall the early ones wearing the cast mesh wheels as S-trucks.

fake edit: nope. 85-02: 5 x 5", 04-up: 6 x 5.5"

Also, nice NSX, but I wouldn't bother with the roof tent. Cargo capsule, sure, but not bother on the tent.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m seeing a lot of mechanical success on this page.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Big Taint posted:

I’m seeing a lot of mechanical success on this page.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:gonk: Oh god.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The axle stub is stripped, I guarantee it :lol:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

The axle stub is stripped, I guarantee it :lol:

Yup.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:yeshaha:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

We all know you can weld better than that :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hell, that's actually a fairly sensible solution.

If the thread on the shaft is hosed you'll be replacing it anyway, so if it keeps it alive for a while longer, ehhhh.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

-5 points for not wearing your safety jorts

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Does burning chest hair count as a horrible mechanical failure?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Does burning chest hair count as a horrible mechanical failure?

нет

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

If the thread on the shaft is hosed you'll be replacing it anyway, so if it keeps it alive for a while longer, ehhhh.

I was going to say something about not being able to torque it so the wheel bearing / hub would get torched too, but I think that is the least of the problems here :rip:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Safety Dance posted:

-5 points for not wearing your safety jorts

Nice tan tho.

It'll be a lot better after those polyester shorts go up

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LifeSunDeath posted:

2 Vegas goons unite in the thread, what are the odds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

InitialDave posted:

FTFY

If the thread on the shaft is hosed the next sucker will be replacing it anyway, so if it gets the car sold, ehhh.