Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

This is much more aggressive than the current DLSS Performance profile which renders at quarter resolution (i.e. 4k -> 8k), this is upscaling 1440p to 8k

I wonder how the quality holds up

In some ways it makes sense, 8k is well into the range of diminishing returns. They don't need the upscaling to work as well as at 4k.

Still though, a 4k to 8k mode would have been nice for comparison's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Still though, a 4k to 8k mode would have been nice for comparison's sake.

They haven't said Ultra-Performance is the only option at 8k, the Performance profile may well still be available

It sounds like Ultra-Performance won't be available at resolutions lower than 8k though

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
still very conflicted on whether or not to wait for a 3080ti equivalent or to mash f5 for a regular 3080 on the 17th. if i knew a ti version was coming out within a 6 month window i'd probably wait, but they might just pump out supers in a year and forego the entire ti thing

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

whatis posted:

still very conflicted on whether or not to wait for a 3080ti equivalent or to mash f5 for a regular 3080 on the 17th. if i knew a ti version was coming out within a 6 month window i'd probably wait, but they might just pump out supers in a year and forego the entire ti thing
144Hz/1440p user: I have decided that the pro strat is to buy the 3080 ASAP (replacing a 1080Ti) as it’ll be more than good enough for the foreseeable and then get a 4080Ti or whatever in 2-3 years with a 4K monitor. But I might upgrade to the 3080Ti if there’s an immediate reason to (like VRAM shenanigans) or the total cost after selling the 3080 is well below what buying a 3090 in the first place would have cost me because I don’t want to feel like a huge dumbass.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Benchmark data from Ashes of the Singularity on a 3080 leaks

Not full data but promising results.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The 3080 does not have the usual x80 positioning of slightly better than the x70 at a significant price premium. Instead it's positioned more like an x80 Ti, just shy of the big dick product that costs twice as much. That's not to say that there won't be a Ti/Super that beats it out in a year, but that unlike typical x80 products, this one looks like quite a relatively good buy. The positioning of the 3090 reinforces this - Nvidia really can't release a card in 6 months that beats the 3090 for $900, so there isn't a lot of room to beat the 3080 in a way that makes value sense.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 7, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Releasing HBM versions of the 3080 and 3090 on TSMC7 would be hilarious

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Pictured: The entirety of the China stock.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

shrike82 posted:

Releasing HBM versions of the 3080 and 3090 on TSMC7 would be hilarious

It would be but I'd think in a situation where Nvidia does both of those moves would be a new generation entirely rather than a refresh

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Hopper is MCM - a big enough change so they don’t need to worry about artificially separating generations, and the A100 is already on both so it’s not as unlikely as you think.

Dropping TDP by a 100W and improving performance would be a big win for a respin.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ijyt posted:

It's a PS4 game bro.

Ok?

The guy was talking about 1 or 2 games supporting DLSS. Not sure what it being a ps4 game has to do with that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Hopper is MCM - a big enough change so they don’t need to worry about artificially separating generations, and the A100 is already on both so it’s not as unlikely as you think.

Dropping TDP by a 100W and improving performance would be a big win for a respin.

Yeah I can definitely see this happening if Hopper is going to take longer than Nvidia would like and/or TSMC lets them know that capacity will be available for them. I still doubt it will make the x80 look like a poor value the way x80s typically are, where historically waiting for an x80 Ti would typically give you a huge increase in bang for your buck/sustainable lifetime.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Perfect Potato posted:

Same, never going back

100% same. I'll go for one of those 5k ultrawides before I bother with a 16:9 4k. It's just so good for productivity uses, and I don't give a gently caress about my Overwatch competitiveness--basically everything else works well enough that I've never felt it was a problem.

That said, if you never need to throw up two or three docs side by side and/or just care about eSports titles, or are price sensitive, 4k would be a better choice.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

is the AMD Bike the AMD Ferrari laptop of this generation?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Has the 3000 announcement affected new/used prices of existing product?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If you don't follow mountain biking it's kinda hard to explain how hilarious the AMD bike thing is. Big box store bikes have been really terrible for a long time. Over the last couple years they've finally moved to being 20 years out of date low-quality garbage rather than 30 years out of date low-quality garbage. Someone managed to sell AMD some old stock bikes that are too lovely for even Wal-Mart customers at this point as a premium branding opportunity. It's pretty much peak Radeon.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Shaocaholica posted:

Has the 3000 announcement affected new/used prices of existing product?

They're still at bargaining, so they have a couple of steps to go.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ruined

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1303090494482919424

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

now i have to get a 3090 instead, there will be no typographical errors in my computer

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Isn't the entire number going to be upside-down when slotted into a PCIE slot?

Edit: in that case, the 8 will be the only thing right-side up!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What's weird is that someone at NVIDIA spent time thinking about this decision. It required work. There would have been meetings with the graphic design department about turning the 8 upside down.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

repiv posted:

now i have to get a 3090 instead, there will be no typographical errors in my computer

Personally I'm going to get an RTX 30𝘓0, can't gently caress that up

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alchenar posted:

What's weird is that someone at NVIDIA spent time thinking about this decision. It required work. There would have been meetings with the graphic design department about turning the 8 upside down.

the font they used off of DaFonts got deleted and they had to use an older version someone had cached

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Well poo poo, the founder's edition was the only model guaranteed to fit in my Core V1 :argh:

E: Sharpie Mod...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nvidia will never recover from this embarrassment, their next GPU line might as well forsake numbers altogether.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

exquisite tea posted:

Nvidia will never recover from this embarrassment, their next GPU line might as well forsake numbers altogether.

Binary digits only

Is it a 0 or O
l or I or 1
poo poo

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

K8.0 posted:

If you don't follow mountain biking it's kinda hard to explain how hilarious the AMD bike thing is. Big box store bikes have been really terrible for a long time. Over the last couple years they've finally moved to being 20 years out of date low-quality garbage rather than 30 years out of date low-quality garbage. Someone managed to sell AMD some old stock bikes that are too lovely for even Wal-Mart customers at this point as a premium branding opportunity. It's pretty much peak Radeon.

While you're right on everything here, the hilarious part is that, due to the bike shortage nation-wide, if AMD actually can deliver those bikes for $300 without resorting to a month+ order list, they'll actually be pretty good bikes for the price. Which I suppose is also kinda on-point for Radeon: re-hashed old tech that somehow is still an ok deal.

Not that they're good bikes, but more that everything that's actual quality is being sold for stupid amounts. People in my area have been selling two year old used $500 bikes for $700+ and getting multiple people asking about them. It's nuts.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

So what’s the best way to snag a 3080 at launch? Preferably online.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

John DiFool posted:

Nobody knows beyond :f5: and get lucky.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

John DiFool posted:

Try to buy it on launch day and hope there is enough supply for all the others just like you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Have every store page open with your credit card info already saved and hope you don’t get triple billed on refresh.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If these come to Best Buy brick and mortar stores I may try it. I live in the south and there’s plenty of Best Buy’s scattered around podunk towns.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

mobby_6kl posted:

Possible prices on partner cards in germany seem to be about what you'd expect after including taxes and the usual conversion rate fuckery.

"Hinweis: Die angegebenen Preise sind noch nicht final."
(Prices are not final)

Ordering will be available on the 17th at 3:00 pm.
Goddamn, I don't need one, but I want one.

Looking at the Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC 10G, since their 2070 Super Gaming OC was super solid for the year I have been using it now.

But I just realized even the official site does not have info on card length, so I will have to wait for that info to trickle down.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 7, 2020

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Tell your bank you are going go spend 1500 dollars so they don't hold the purchase.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

cheesetriangles posted:

Tell your bank you are going go spend 1500 dollars so they don't hold the purchase.

Yeah this. Especially if you’re trying to pull a late night purchase for your time zone, your card company may not be particularly...accessible...at midnight.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DrDork posted:

While you're right on everything here, the hilarious part is that, due to the bike shortage nation-wide, if AMD actually can deliver those bikes for $300 without resorting to a month+ order list, they'll actually be pretty good bikes for the price. Which I suppose is also kinda on-point for Radeon: re-hashed old tech that somehow is still an ok deal.

Not that they're good bikes, but more that everything that's actual quality is being sold for stupid amounts. People in my area have been selling two year old used $500 bikes for $700+ and getting multiple people asking about them. It's nuts.

Jesus, I haven't been following prices for 6+ months. Thanks for the heads up, my MTB is decidedly not cheap and maybe I should sell it and buy a new one next year.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Turing's done pretty poorly.

quote:

Steam’s latest hardware survey shows how unpopular RTX 2000-series GPUs are
https://www.vg247.com/2020/09/07/steam-hardware-survey-nvidia-rtx-2000-gpu-share/

As always, there are a couple of interesting data points worth bringing attention to. Nvidia continues to dominate the GPU space with an over 73% share. The GTX 1000-series is far and away the most popular, with GTX 900-series not far behind. The RTX 2000-series, however, has had very little penetration.

Despite its two-year age, RTX 2000-series GPUs amount to less than 11% of Steam’s overall userbase.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

SuperTeeJay posted:

144Hz/1440p user: I have decided that the pro strat is to buy the 3080 ASAP (replacing a 1080Ti) as it’ll be more than good enough for the foreseeable and then get a 4080Ti or whatever in 2-3 years with a 4K monitor.
That does sound like a good approach.

K8.0 posted:

The positioning of the 3090 reinforces this - Nvidia really can't release a card in 6 months that beats the 3090 for $900, so there isn't a lot of room to beat the 3080 in a way that makes value sense.
I'd imagine they'll release a 3080Ti in a few months with say 95% of the cores of the 3090 and 12GB of RAM. People would pay a grand for a "just shy of titan performance" card no problem.

Now its value could become questionable if Nvidia release a 3080S sometime afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
The 3080 is real tempting but I have to say it's ridiculous for me to want to buy a card 3 years later that has less VRAM than the one I have now (10 vs 11). Almost want to go for the 3090 just to avoid that entirely since I noticed Flight Sim is really creeping up at the limits of my 1080ti's VRAM