Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Keltar posted:

Considering they got the news months ago and we're only hearing about it now almost certainly means any attempt at moving it elsewhere was either blocked or failed.

Where was this confirmed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Blackfyre posted:

Yeah the timing works out with Lazzo etc, my query was why wait for Publick to say anything etc after so long. I kinda wondered if they had been looking into some kind of way to keep going and after all this time it was totally dead etc.

I'm sure they tried but sadly no matter what either AS didn't want to play ball or whoever they tried to talk with didn't want the show. 7 seasons in 16 wasn't a great track record and the shows ratings had dipped.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

https://twitter.com/jacksonpublick/status/1303102212193705985?s=21

Straight from the horses mouth.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Derp, my eyes glazed over that part of the tweet.
Yeah. gently caress everything.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
nooooooooooooooooo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
first time i talked to online people about this show it was on loving usenet. where does the time go...

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

This this is all because of the voice actor for dean right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wrote an essay back in college 15 years ago about how Venture Bros. exemplifies and transcends gen x understanding of life and family, offering optimism about the younger generation rather than leaving focus on cynicism and Rusty’s feelings of betrayal at the lies he had been fed about the world. I still think that’s an ok read of the whole thing.

Having the plug unceremoniously pulled by the suits seems like a pretty appropriate way for things to end. I suppose a fan campaign for a last look to tie things together is a nonstarter.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEGTJvxEGHU

Just listening to that while flipping through the art book, gonna miss this show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Welp, I guess the new head of adult swim is now my enemy for life.

Canceling this show doesn't bode well for the future of the Network. I love adult swim, but doing something like this makes me seriously question the decision making choices of the guy now in charge.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The obvious thing you'd think to do is turn what would have been season eight into a podcast / radio drama, right?

...sure hope Jackson and Hammer own the rights to the show, or have them following the cancelation. I have a hard time believing they won't somehow make something that wraps things up. Tho given Doc's health hope they can muster funds for that sooner than later. God drat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can see them wanting to do something in the spirit of the star wars radio serial, but why would they have waited so long to have said anything unless all avenues were exhausted or they just decided they were too tired to go on?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Better new thread title: The Venture Brothers: Your Confirmed Cancellation Will Become the Stuff of Lamentations

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

graham cracker posted:

no

the guy who created adult swim and ran it as vice president, mike lazzo, retired around new years. he loved the show for who knows why and it was not going to get canceled as long as he was around. not many shows can go like three years between seasons and survive, but it helps to have THE head of the network being a personal fan of your weird show

after lazzo left, without that sort of patronage from the guy who makes those kinds of decisions, then venture bros was on a lot thinner ice

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
this sucks

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm now down to Curse of Oak Island as the only TV show I watch that is currently in production.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Canceling this show doesn't bode well for the future of the Network. I love adult swim, but doing something like this makes me seriously question the decision making choices of the guy now in charge.

He was the creator of Harvey Birdman and is making a sequel series (which I bet was an easy approval process) called Birdgirl. Between that and Adult Swim tightening its belt over covid they most likely had to choose between the show the boss makes or the show the boss hates :shrug:

also dude looks like an evil corporate version of Gilfoyle:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

succ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Un loving believable.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
fail

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Bro Dad posted:

He was the creator of Harvey Birdman and is making a sequel series (which I bet was an easy approval process) called Birdgirl. Between that and Adult Swim tightening its belt over covid they most likely had to choose between the show the boss makes or the show the boss hates :shrug:

Look at him there, wearing glasses. Like a prick.

And what's that, pocket square? Who wears a pocket square? I'll tell you who - jerks!

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
gently caress

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

graham cracker posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the straw that broke the camel's back if not necessarily the primary reason

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
wow. the worst news of all time. i guess my soul is dead now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He's just mad nobody remembers Harvey Birdman and thinks of that film with Michael Keaton in it instead.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bro Dad posted:

....Okay now I'm torn because I also love Harvey Birdman and will absolutely watch and probably adore that Birdgirl series if it gets made.

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's just mad nobody remembers Harvey Birdman and thinks of that film with Michael Keaton in it instead.

Hey! Harvey Birdman is good! :argh:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i won't speak ill of birdman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AoPpfmJK3Q

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
loving goddamn it, we really can't loving have anything good this year, not even one loving thing

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

graham cracker posted:

what's this

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

graham cracker posted:

Okay I'm clearly out of the loop on something significant here. What happened?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nilbop posted:

Okay I'm clearly out of the loop on something significant here. What happened?

Michael Sinterniklaas, the actor for Dean, had a bunch of people accusing him of being a sex pest on social media.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I loving love Harvey Birdman and have all three seasons on DVD, and I struggle to believe that the person who made it cancelled VB.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

....Okay now I'm torn because I also love Harvey Birdman and will absolutely watch and probably adore that Birdgirl series if it gets made.

Hey! Harvey Birdman is good! :argh:

Not saying it sucks or anything, but it still weird to make Birdman and not like VB?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Welp, I guess the new head of adult swim is now my enemy for life.

I think that as an outsider coming in, the person in charge may have looked at the output in terms of total numbers of episodes versus years the show has been on, and thought that there weren’t enough episodes for its tenure.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Edit: information has been addressed. Ignore me!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not saying it sucks or anything, but it still weird to make Birdman and not like VB?

I guess if you come from that early AS group that made Birdman, Space Ghost, and the ATHF and their reliance on non sequitur humor, you might not like a series that has relied on continuity for almost 20 years. Idk

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/benito_cereno/status/1303141462004072449

It sucks but it makes sense. The only reason VB wasn't cancelled years ago was that the big honcho was a fan, and I think the writing was on the wall when he retired.

I do hope they find a way to maybe tie some loose ends, but I'm not holding my breath.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This sucks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
gently caress, this is a major bummer. I just want some kind of small win these days and it’s poo poo like this constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Go(ne) Team Venture!

:smith: