Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Me on a couch: "fat tires baby, the fatter the better"
Me riding my bike: "hmmm.. 700x23 could be a nice change of pace"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nm posted:

My bike shop in Sacramento has a size run of Vaya 105s in purple in stock.
Purple.

They only really clear 50s though.

I'm in the sac area right now please don't tempt me

Salt Fish posted:

Me on a couch: "fat tires baby, the fatter the better"
Me riding my bike: "hmmm.. 700x23 could be a nice change of pace"

I've been DDing Panaracer GK2 38's and i can related to this.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 7, 2020

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

luminalflux posted:

My bike got stolen :smith: I lost my Kona Sutra because I was an idiot and left it on my car parked overnight in a hotel parking lot in the central valley while on a road trip. Obviously now I need a new bike since that way my daily driver for 3 years - commuter, bar bike and weekend road bike.

I also just moved from SF to LA and I think I'm going to give up road biking and just do gravel stuff due to where I live and what's easy to get to, so I need some bike recommendations for a gravel bike. I'm a big dude who's not great at climbing and I really liked having a triple (3x9) to have a granny gear to get me up hills, but it seems that a lot of the gravel bikes now are 1x. I don't remember exactly which cassette and chainrings I had so I can't easily calculate, but it seems that there are 1x12s that have as wide a gear range.

So I guess what i'm looking for is recommendations for drop-bar steel gravel bikes with braze-ons in the $2k-3k range, preferably brands that don't sell to law enforcement (so no Kona, Trek et c). Ideas so far have been All-City Nature Cross, Cosmic Stallion or Gorilla Monsoon along with Salsa Journeyman and Vaya. edit: I've always been eyeing the Surly Cross-Check back when I got my first german aluminum cross bike in 2012, and the midnight special is purty too.

Bummer about the stolen bike. The one night I spent in Fresno was more than enough. Do you need to replace a broken window too?

Breezer, Marin, Jamis and Norco both have gravel steel options. I couldn't find police models on their websites. Where in LA are you relocating to? By the beach, I'm finding that I only ride my road bike, but I haven't ventured into the hills yet.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Suicide Watch posted:

Bummer about the stolen bike. The one night I spent in Fresno was more than enough. Do you need to replace a broken window too?

Thankfully stolen off the hitch rack (I got my windows smashed in SF though). Turns out 2 cable locks are easy to cut through! They didn't take my fiancee's Specialized stepthrough that was on the rear rack but took mine between hers and the bumper. She's a bit insulted.

quote:

Where in LA are you relocating to? By the beach, I'm finding that I only ride my road bike, but I haven't ventured into the hills yet

I'm in Echo Park normally, so Griffith Park, Elysian Park would be my go-to.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

luminalflux posted:

I'm in the sac area right now please don't tempt me

Bicycle Business on Freeport. Tell aaron or steve the wheelbreaker says hi.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nm posted:

Bicycle Business on Freeport. Tell aaron or steve the wheelbreaker says hi.

i asked you not to tempt me why are you tempting me

(I'll most likely hit up golden saddle cyclery in LA next week since they carry salsa and all-city it seems)

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

luminalflux posted:

i asked you not to tempt me why are you tempting me

(I'll most likely hit up golden saddle cyclery in LA next week since they carry salsa and all-city it seems)

You should get one of those Dream Team cat stickers while you’re at it, it seems to be what all the cool kids do

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Suicide Watch posted:

The hotel in Merced I stayed at for a race back in February would disable its automatic sliding doors at like 9 PM.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

e.pilot posted:

I hammered around Lake Tahoe today and missed the KOM by 4 minutes, hell of a ride though

https://strava.app.link/n2eN1a3iw9

Started at sunrise.

Hopefully my last ride messing with clip-ons on a road bike, going to be building up a TT bike v soonish.

this is awesome im going to try a personal hour record in the next little bit and im shooting for a speed like that in one hour let alone three

but i have been spending the past little bit of time finally getting my deep cabons, my skin suit, aero bars, and a new chain all sorted out, all the tiny details

i know i can do 36 km im hoping for something close to 40 km for a sorted attempt

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

luminalflux posted:

Cosmic Stallion

I would also look at the Niner RLT. Depending on where you are it might be worth driving out to visit this store https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

numberoneposter posted:

this is awesome im going to try a personal hour record in the next little bit and im shooting for a speed like that in one hour let alone three

but i have been spending the past little bit of time finally getting my deep cabons, my skin suit, aero bars, and a new chain all sorted out, all the tiny details

i know i can do 36 km im hoping for something close to 40 km for a sorted attempt

Good luck! Going that fast for long distances is a lot of fun.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kimbo305 posted:

The suspension fork is kind of superfluous. More weight that it's worth in 95% of on-road conditions.

This is slightly cheaper and gonna be lighter:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/28474/
Only downside is that they choose to spec it with 32mm tires, which is skinnier than the FX can handle and not the cushiest. The shop might be able to swap some 35s on there for you.

This is good advice.

EvilJoven posted:

Get the dualsport and upgrade the fork to a Rockshox Paragon.

Please don’t buy an aftermarket fork if you get that bike. It would be better to take any money leftover and make sure you have the accessories you need: a helmet, shoes, pedals, etc. If you have all of this stuff, save the money and put it toward your inevitable next bike.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've had my Cutthroat for three months, and well, roof racks are dangerous. I've been very good about being careful about obstructions when I've had bikes on my roof rack, but I was leaving the ATL REI parking lot, and I didn't pay enough attention to this:

A low clearance sign that warns you that the sign itself is the low-clearance hazard. Apparently it's meant to keep larger trucks out of the parking lot or something?

Anyway, I drove through, and it destroyed my roof rack and ripped mine and my partner's bikes off the roof of the car:

The bikes seemed surprisingly okay, given what happened. We left them with the REI bike shop (I guess there are worse places to damage your bike than a bike shop parking lot). Some of the damage to the Cutthroat:

And there's a weird hitch in pedaling while in the smaller cogs, so maybe a bent hanger or damaged rear derailleur from the fall. I'm hoping the frame isn't trashed, or that Salsa will cut me a crash replacement discount if it is. Also looking at replacing Amy's Haanjo, since it's my fault it's damaged.

All in all, it was a bad afternoon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did TrashMiles ever make it to you e pilot?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did TrashMiles ever make it to you e pilot?

I think the order only went in a week ago, so the only ones that've been delivered were the jakroo special orders.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

e.pilot posted:

I hammered around Lake Tahoe today and missed the KOM by 4 minutes, hell of a ride though

https://strava.app.link/n2eN1a3iw9

Started at sunrise.

Hopefully my last ride messing with clip-ons on a road bike, going to be building up a TT bike v soonish.

Good work goon also good pic+bike

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

I've had my Cutthroat for three months, and well, roof racks are dangerous. I've been very good about being careful about obstructions when I've had bikes on my roof rack, but I was leaving the ATL REI parking lot, and I didn't pay enough attention to this:

A low clearance sign that warns you that the sign itself is the low-clearance hazard. Apparently it's meant to keep larger trucks out of the parking lot or something?

Anyway, I drove through, and it destroyed my roof rack and ripped mine and my partner's bikes off the roof of the car:

The bikes seemed surprisingly okay, given what happened. We left them with the REI bike shop (I guess there are worse places to damage your bike than a bike shop parking lot). Some of the damage to the Cutthroat:

And there's a weird hitch in pedaling while in the smaller cogs, so maybe a bent hanger or damaged rear derailleur from the fall. I'm hoping the frame isn't trashed, or that Salsa will cut me a crash replacement discount if it is. Also looking at replacing Amy's Haanjo, since it's my fault it's damaged.

All in all, it was a bad afternoon.

I did something similar - except into our garage, you might be able to claim the damage on your insurance.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

I would also look at the Niner RLT. Depending on where you are it might be worth driving out to visit this store https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/

Seems to be at a bit more than I want to pay (3500 MSRP for the non-650b version) and i'm avoiding OC like the plague they have.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

luminalflux posted:

Seems to be at a bit more than I want to pay (3500 MSRP for the non-650b version) and i'm avoiding OC like the plague they have.

https://www.twinsix.com/collections/bikes-bits/products/copy-of-standard-rando-complete-house-build-saffron?variant=31784683667553

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I went full send into a tree yesterday. Thankfully it was a dead one. As I was laying on the ground a 4’ section of it broke off and fell right next to me.

It was a good reason to service the steerer anyways.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://bikerumor.com/2020/09/07/no22-bicycle-co-completely-stealth-frame-coupler-bleed-free-hydraulic-brake-splitter

It's ok, I guess

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That's extremely terrifying, to me.

Apr 7, 2003

My brother lives in Columbus (OH) and is looking for a starter bike. I don't know what the dealer situation is there but I absolutely do not want to recommend a flat bar fitness bike to him because he's young and fit enough to get started with a proper gravel or road bike. Anyone know the dealer network there that can suggest something?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

It’s no bike friday :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Interesting, but gonna need a decade or so before I trust them.

Apr 7, 2003

My wife (Liv Avail AR 1) and me (Giant Contend AR 1) (identical bikes) (they're the same) (same stuff) are at about 1200 miles and the stock tires are busted and we should probably replace the chain and all that stuff

sooo

we like the bikes a lot but we're looking for upgrades

we like the 700 x 32 tire profile, we don't particularly feel like we need fatter tires

What's worth upgrading? If we wanted to upgrade wheel sets, what's worth upgrading to? Since we're replacing the tires, what should we throw on if we don't replace the wheels?

My wife likes toe clips and is going to stick with those, I'm going to keep trying to figure out if spd pedals + shoes are worth it to me. Other than that we've both got R7000 Shimano 105 groupsets that work for us.

Asking basically as entry-level riders, since we are at this price point.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
How much are you looking to spend total?

Apr 7, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

How much are you looking to spend total?

"Married couple without kids and money to spend but not enough to buy a new car"

Does that count?

Let's say $4K over two bikes.

Maybe more if we do it slowly.

Apr 7, 2003

(Probably a lot more if I spend it carefully and slowly)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
$2000 per bike will get you hand built wheels with any parts you want, literally any wheel set pretty much except some weird one someone will post right after this.

So first pick out some badass hubs. Onyx racing with transparent windows into the hub body for example.

Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

$2000 per bike will get you hand built wheels with any parts you want, literally any wheel set pretty much except some weird one someone will post right after this.

So first pick out some badass hubs. Onyx racing with transparent windows into the hub body for example.

Well poo poo, I guess we'll settle with some nice 700 x 32 tires. We seriously don't know what we're looking for as an upgrade and that's why I'm asking here.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I say just keep riding it until something breaks and then upgrade it. There is no greater feeling than legit riding a bike into the ground and replacing parts because you wore them out. (as long as it doesn't make you crash).

New tires give a bike a whole new feel, it can be pretty weird just how much. For example I was using Schwalbe Marthon Plus on my touring bike and those tires felt lifeless and kind of ... queasy on the turns. They're designed to simply not get flats, and it's true that I never had a flat with them which is just nuts, but I switched over to a Maxxis Rambler, which is more sporty and less touring specific and the bike feels brand new.

One funny story about the marathon pluses; I tried to cut them up using tin snips so they'd fit in the trash can and didn't think too hard about it until the kevlar shredded the blades on the snips and I had to replace them. Didn't even come close to cutting into those tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You could get a pretty nice used carbon deep wheelset for $1k. And if you just get one set, you could just fight over it.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife (Liv Avail AR 1) and me (Giant Contend AR 1) (identical bikes) (they're the same) (same stuff) are at about 1200 miles and the stock tires are busted and we should probably replace the chain and all that stuff

sooo

we like the bikes a lot but we're looking for upgrades

we like the 700 x 32 tire profile, we don't particularly feel like we need fatter tires

What's worth upgrading? If we wanted to upgrade wheel sets, what's worth upgrading to? Since we're replacing the tires, what should we throw on if we don't replace the wheels?

My wife likes toe clips and is going to stick with those, I'm going to keep trying to figure out if spd pedals + shoes are worth it to me. Other than that we've both got R7000 Shimano 105 groupsets that work for us.

Asking basically as entry-level riders, since we are at this price point.

If you feel you need upgrades after 1200 miles on those bikes, you probably are ready for a carbon frame, carbon wheels and an Ultegra drive drain. The bikes you have are good. The frame is solid, the wheels are nice and 105 is a legit group. If you upgrade, I can guarantee you will want to upgrade again at some point.

I'd try to sell the bikes whole, as is and go with this.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-pro-team-disc

In the COVID market, you can probably get a good chunk of your money back on the AR 1's, and maybe strike a deal for buying 2 new bikes. Yes, this does bust your budget, but I don't think you will be happy with anything less. PULL THE BANDAID!!!!

Apr 7, 2003

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

If you feel you need upgrades after 1200 miles on those bikes, you probably are ready for a carbon frame, carbon wheels and an Ultegra drive drain. The bikes you have are good. The frame is solid, the wheels are nice and 105 is a legit group. If you upgrade, I can guarantee you will want to upgrade again at some point.

I'd try to sell the bikes whole, as is and go with this.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-pro-team-disc

In the COVID market, you can probably get a good chunk of your money back on the AR 1's, and maybe strike a deal for buying 2 new bikes. Yes, this does bust your budget, but I don't think you will be happy with anything less. PULL THE BANDAID!!!!

TCRs are nice, they're also completely unavailable right now according to my LBS

I get what everyone has said here and should probably rescope to "what tires should I get in the 700 x 32 space because ours are about dead" though.

kimbo305 posted:

You could get a pretty nice used carbon deep wheelset for $1k. And if you just get one set, you could just fight over it.

Carbon is wasted on us I think. I want to get to 100 miles on aluminum + deece base gear and then I'll worry about carbon

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Carbon is wasted on us I think.

Outside of clothing+helmet, you get the most from aero wheels. And they help more the slower you ride.
That said, you don't need to put more than just new tires into the bikes you have.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah if you’re not upgrading to deep carbon wheels the wheels on your bike are likely fine unless you wanted to go tubeless or something.

Apr 7, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Yeah if you’re not upgrading to deep carbon wheels the wheels on your bike are likely fine unless you wanted to go tubeless or something.
We're already tubeless, the tires seem pretty lovely though. They're about spent too - Giant Fondo 2 according to the sidewalls.

Apr 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

That said, you don't need to put more than just new tires into the bikes you have.

Any suggestions for 700 x 32 - 35 tires? These ones are about dead anyway so recommendations don't hurt, we're all trail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
GP5k, some other nice bigger tubeless tire, or a light gravel tire depending on how much non pavement you're riding. Gravel king slicks come in 35 and 38 for example. Vittoria has a terreno zero near slick in 35 and 38 that seems neat.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 8, 2020