Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ep 3: Black Noir crying :(

I thought he was laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

Also, based on the season 1 race storyline it seems like the Seven only want the fastest speedster in the world.
Now that would be something interesting if
A-Train beats Marathon Man but does it while juiced because it's his only way out of poverty

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

Without Rayner the Boys have nothing. They're five fugitives from the law with no resources. Why should Vought care about them?

They killed Translucent. The boys are literally the only threat that exists to them at all on the planet. Even if a minor threat, why let that linger?

Accretionist posted:

If there's a coup afoot, The Boys help distract Vought and muddy the situation.

Yeah, its this. Vought is doing some serious shenanigans, trying to play three-card-monte with the world.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 7, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So what kind of leverage does Butcher's wife that she was able to bargain for his life? She's locked inside of a supermax compound with Superman, and it's not like she could stop him from doing whatever it is he feels like doing at any particular moment.

At first I thought it was a "leave him alone and I'll pretend to play nice in front of the kid" thing but that seems out the window, so it's hard to imagine what else would prevent Homelander from just popping Butcher like a water balloon.

He wants Butcher to suffer seeing that he spends time with Butcher's wife and Butcher can't do dick about it

Homelander isn't afraid of him, so he's toying with him.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah prior to Episode 3 I figured that the Supes allowed the Boys to live because they didn't want to deal with the nuisance of Compound V news getting released.

Now that the cat's out of the bag I'm assuming they're going to try a lot harder to kill them?

IDK I'm probably giving it too much thought to why the Boys haven't been killed yet when the answer is "because the show is called The Boys"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I sort of assumed the Compound V thing was like the only leverage the Boys has at all. Now that the cat is out of the bag... what threat do 4 regular, slightly clever people and one super strong person have against the 6 deadliest and most powerful people on the planet?

From what we’ve seen of Homelander, it makes more sense for him to keep Hughie alive to manipulate Starlight than it does for him to kill them all outright. If he wanted Butcher dead he had ample opportunity to kill them.

Someone is playing the Boys and we haven’t met them yet, IMO

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Would you like a Fresca?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I sort of assumed the Compound V thing was like the only leverage the Boys has at all. Now that the cat is out of the bag... what threat do 4 regular, slightly clever people and one super strong person have against the 6 deadliest and most powerful people on the planet?

From what we’ve seen of Homelander, it makes more sense for him to keep Hughie alive to manipulate Starlight than it does for him to kill them all outright. If he wanted Butcher dead he had ample opportunity to kill them.

Someone is playing the Boys and we haven’t met them yet, IMO

I could see it being Giancarlo Esposito doing some 4th dimensional chess moves.

But the boys DO still pose a threat; they killed Translucent. And other than Homelander, the other supes are varying levels of invulnerable, so with preparation they could definitely continue to do damage.
Its like the old Batman v Superman argument; if its a straight fight, Superman always wins. But if Batman has time to do detective work and research and prepare tools, set traps, and surprises Superman, then he can take him down.
The boys are the same.

Not to mention they do have a supe on their side, Kimiko alone can probably kill most supes other than Homelander.

As to why the Boys aren't dead, its half them living in hiding and half Homelander being distracted playing House with his son. And also stuff like, having Starlight be kinda on their side.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

They killed Translucent. The boys are literally the only threat that exists to them at all on the planet. Even if a minor threat, why let that linger?

They were able to kill Translucent because they were able to take him by surprise - you've acknowledged this. As far as the Seven knew the Boys were disbanded; Mallory had retired; Butcher no longer had access to her files or to Rayner. But now the Seven are forewarned, they don't think Butcher's crew are any threat to them at all.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I was sick and not willing to get out of bed yesterday, so I binged all of season 1 and the S2 premiere, and finished 2 and 3 today.

The number of times I literally jumped in bed and said "holy poo poo" was unreal.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

CommanderApaul posted:

I was sick and not willing to get out of bed yesterday, so I binged all of season 1 and the S2 premiere, and finished 2 and 3 today.

The number of times I literally jumped in bed and said "holy poo poo" was unreal.

Yeah my friend this show is really something special.

Season 1 had a much more explosive start, if you'll forgive the pun, but I feel like Season 2 is building up to a great payoff.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
It seems like the comic kills were a lot more brutal but I have a hard time believing it was so easy to kill some of them. like comic Stormfront is supposed to be up there in Homelander tier of strength and durability and he gets murked by 5 people who just beat him up a lot? I mean at least I can understand Kimiko is going to be somewhat of an equalizer since she's a supe, but it's weird to think some grumpy Falklands war vet is stacking bodies with just a crowbar. .

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Panfilo posted:

It seems like the comic kills were a lot more brutal but I have a hard time believing it was so easy to kill some of them. like comic Stormfront is supposed to be up there in Homelander tier of strength and durability and he gets murked by 5 people who just beat him up a lot? I mean at least I can understand Kimiko is going to be somewhat of an equalizer since she's a supe, but it's weird to think some grumpy Falklands war vet is stacking bodies with just a crowbar. .

Comic Boys are also all dosed up on Compound V to give them super strength and toughness, it mentions very early on they’re tougher and stronger than most supes. Which to this day is dumb as poo poo and undermines the whole thing, having The Boys be unpowered (mostly) adds way more weight to the victories they do get.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Bussamove posted:

Comic Boys are also all dosed up on Compound V to give them super strength and toughness, it mentions very early on they’re tougher and stronger than most supes. Which to this day is dumb as poo poo and undermines the whole thing, having The Boys be unpowered (mostly) adds way more weight to the victories they do get.
Plus, it's a little hypocritical of Butcher. If being a supe was so corrupting then by his own admission he just signed his death warrant. Also in the comics supes really don't seem bulletproof at all, seems like an M60 machine gun would solve a lot of their supe problems.

It would've been more interesting if it was some 'anti compound V' that nullified supe powers and brought their adversaries down to size, to emphasize with how little supes can cope with being a normie. They could have moments of great tension where Hughie has to 'pretend' Translucent is invisible and play around with the ambiguity of whether Homelander knows or even cares.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 8, 2020

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Plus, it's a little hypocritical of Butcher. If being a supe was so corrupting then by his own admission he just signed his death warrant.

“Butcher is a massive hypocrite and coward” is basically theboys.txt so I’m perfectly fine with that part of it at least. :v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Panfilo posted:

Plus, it's a little hypocritical of Butcher. If being a supe was so corrupting then by his own admission he just signed his death warrant.
I mean, it's explicitly part of why he kills his friends and causes Hughie to kill him, leaving Hughie alone as the sole survivor
Just a necessary sacrifice towards his ultimate goal.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think Stormfront is specifically modelled after Loomer - their politics might be similar but their personalities are completely different.

Nah, she’s definitely Loomer. Laura’s whole thing was that she was an outspoken, straight-talking millennial - and a woman to boot! Let’s write a hundred glowing features on her, this “alt-right” is the new hotness! It was only later that she went completely bonkers.

I wonder if they will have Stormfront utter the immortal line “I’ve got big tits and an Ashkenazi IQ”?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm having a fun time arguing that Storm front is indeed a racist with someone. Jfc. I guess he's the blind audience that needs the torture scene

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RC Cola posted:

I'm having a fun time arguing that Storm front is indeed a racist with someone. Jfc. I guess he's the blind audience that needs the torture scene
So the scene(s) in Ep3 don't move the needle? Because when she murked the dad, then the family, then the brother is was pretty clear.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

FilthyImp posted:

So the scene(s) in Ep3 don't move the needle? Because when she murked the dad, then the family, then the brother is was pretty clear.

Don't forget the random guy on the stairwell she threw out the window and the one (two) floors she tore open on the way up!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Knowing this show, Stormfront should do increasingly awful things all season. So this is like having a friend in S1 who is arguing that Homelander is a good guy unlike A-Train. You just need to get to the airplane scene and that cements it. Stormfront will have similar scenes.

But yeah some people...

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I hope Stormfront doesn’t stick around too long. I don’t know how many racist/Nazi scenes I can stomach.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RC Cola posted:

They have GOT to be trolling you, what the hell! She's coded alt-right pretty hard.

"Stormfront"
Buzzed side of head
From Oregon
Blew up a building that appeared to be largely POC-occupied
Said "I do this... because of my racism" to the Asian man before killing him

sponges posted:

I hope Stormfront doesn’t stick around too long. I don’t know how many racist/Nazi scenes I can stomach.

Yeah I don't want to sound like a triggered lib or snowflake or whatever, but I just... don't have much of an appetite for this. It's like when Ramsay Bolton had his 10th scene of torturing someone and I was just, BRO I get it

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

RC Cola posted:

Yeah I thought they were just going to make her a white supremacist without ever saying it out loud but I guess that would be too subtle for some so they added in a slur. My theory is that she is related to Vought somehow.

Overall I thought the first episodes were pretty weak compared to last season but maybe it picks up and that’s why they released the first three at once. It seems like they have no idea what to do with Deep and A-Train but I’ll wait a little longer to judge that part of it. A-Train not ratting Starlight out made no sense imo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Knowing this show and the source material...it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this Stormfront wasn't a female clone of Vought. Or ~intersexed~ because WHY NOT?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 8, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm just waiting for her to be on the brink of defeat, until she yells ASHKENAZI! at the top of her lungs and shazams into the body of this rear end in a top hat

But also she's definitely either Liberty, clone of Liberty, or grand-daughter of Liberty, given that clunky reveal at the start of Episode 3

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

My personal theory is Stormfront is either Liberty/her descendent doing a "hello fellow kids" act to recruit people for her superrace which lines up perfectly with Edgar's goals of mass supersoldier production

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm just waiting for her to be on the brink of defeat, until she yells ASHKENAZI! at the top of her lungs and shazams into the body of this rear end in a top hat

But also she's definitely either Liberty, clone of Liberty, or grand-daughter of Liberty, given that clunky reveal at the start of Episode 3

Who is liberty?

Also I was able to get through to the guy by walking him through the scene.
Are we spoiling? "Look at her expression before she murders the first black man. Notice she kills the family next. Notice the black man in the stairwell. Notice she explodes the building after confirming it's mostly non white people. Notice how she says" yellow loving bastard" before murdering an Asian man.
Just to be safe I tagged it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RC Cola posted:

Who is liberty?

It's implied she's an older cape of somesort, or someone out if the spotlight for a while now. One of the posters has her on it.

As to the spoiler, it gives away the game and is a nice growing reveal.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or a hermaphrodite because WHY NOT?

yeah hi don't say this

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RC Cola posted:

Who is liberty?

Also I was able to get through to the guy by walking him through the scene.
Are we spoiling? "Look at her expression before she murders the first black man. Notice she kills the family next. Notice the black man in the stairwell. Notice she explodes the building after confirming it's mostly non white people. Notice how she says" yellow loving bastard" before murdering an Asian man.

I can't believe someone had to see that more than once to understand Stromfront is racist.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I could see it being Giancarlo Esposito doing some 4th dimensional chess moves.

But the boys DO still pose a threat; they killed Translucent. And other than Homelander, the other supes are varying levels of invulnerable, so with preparation they could definitely continue to do damage.
Its like the old Batman v Superman argument; if its a straight fight, Superman always wins. But if Batman has time to do detective work and research and prepare tools, set traps, and surprises Superman, then he can take him down.
The boys are the same.

Not to mention they do have a supe on their side, Kimiko alone can probably kill most supes other than Homelander.

As to why the Boys aren't dead, its half them living in hiding and half Homelander being distracted playing House with his son. And also stuff like, having Starlight be kinda on their side.

Homelander sees normal humans as below him and went around the world making supes with random, unknowable powers just so he could have bad guys to fight. He truly doesn't think anyone can stop him.

As for Kimiko, she lost the fight to Black Noir, A-Train and would have lost to her brother too if he wasn't holding back. She's pretty weak compared to the 7.

Homelander and as a follow on the 7 don't see The Boys as a threat. Other groups might but most of the other groups we've seen are in a power struggle with HL/supes, so I doubt they're trying their best to stop them.

Woden fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 8, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or intersexed because WHY NOT?

Being an intersex person isn't on par with being a nazi. This is a weird thing to say.

Edit: Revised terminology

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 8, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I was more so referring to the fact that it'd keep with Ennis (who doesn't have anything to do with this show besides the "Based On" byline) doing things purely for shock value, but fair enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Being a hermaphrodite isn't on par with being a nazi. This is a weird thing to say.

I think it was a bad post but I don't think that's at all what they were saying.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was more so referring to the fact that it'd keep with Ennis (who doesn't have anything to do with this show besides the "Based On" byline) doing things purely for shock value, but fair enough.

FYI that's an outdated term and not medically or scientifically used or accurate, and potentially harmful. Say "intersex" next time (or don't say anything).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
But BIG HEADLINE, being intersexed isn't shocking or something you should play up for shock value!

(See this week's otherwise-great episode of Lovecraft Country for a big intersex bungle)

I gotta say that the showrunners really succeeded in their goal with Stormfront. Reading the pre-release articles about her character is awesome now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Zaphod42 posted:

FYI that's an outdated term and not medically or scientifically used or accurate, and potentially harmful. Say "intersex" next time (or don't say anything).

I'm surprised and embarrassed that I somehow didn't know this, I apologize for the terminology gently caress-up and thank you for mentioning it. I'm more used to seeing intersex these days anyway so I don't know what was going on in my head.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm surprised and embarrassed that I somehow didn't know this, I apologize for the terminology gently caress-up and thank you for mentioning it.

I didn't know either, and edited my OP.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta say, Aya Cash really sells the apartment scene. She's keeping up with Antony Starr which is impressive considering he's giving one of the best performances on television right now.

I rewatched it twice just to see the nuance in her absolutely vile, hateful expressions. I think it's a bit of a testament to her performance that it has made a noticeable number of people in this thread and on Reddit genuinely queasy .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I dunno, I'm kind of enjoying watching someone poo poo on Homelander for a bit.

Wonder when she's gonna lose an eye