Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Just gonna be a giant soggy dipshit about this huh

I mean he’s correct so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Got some shocking news about the feasibility of TV edits, airline versions, "unrated" home video cuts, and the "full screen versions" they were making until like 20 minutes ago. You might want to sit down for this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lmao you are red and mad in the Plex thread, huh?

I said I suffer through it like you do and I offered 2 pretty lovely but at least an attempt at a solution. I’m sorry I’ve worked with Entertainment enough to bring up points that make you angry.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The loud bits are meant to be louder than the quiet bits. In the same way a movie's aspect ratio isn't changed for home theatre, neither is the intent of the audio mix.
5.1 headphones are a great solution if you're watching alone.
If not, you can just cut out a lot of the bass and that covers most loud sounds.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

sellouts posted:

lmao you are red and mad in the Plex thread, huh?

I said I suffer through it like you do and I offered 2 pretty lovely but at least an attempt at a solution. I’m sorry I’ve worked with Entertainment enough to bring up points that make you angry.

Next bring up kodi

Anyways listen with my AirPods at night when my toddler is sleeping and I have no issues

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

can't wait to sit down with my wife after the kids to to bed and put our headphones on to watch a movie

sellouts posted:

And all of those people do have very nice home theatre setups so I’m not sure they see the point.

this bit here is my favorite. loving shocker that the fancy new physical media format is doing about as well as DIVX discs if this is how they actually think.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sellouts posted:

And what percentage of box office returns?

I imagine a sizable budget and complex approval process to get it signed off by producers, director, mixers, studio people, etc. And all of those people do have very nice home theatre setups so I’m not sure they see the point.

Hey, I have the same complaints sometimes, but I also won’t vote with my wallet enough because of it so I’m not sure why it would change.

Mixers do not all have "very nice home theatre setups" lmao. You understand that the most bullet-riddled shitbox starter home a reasonable commute from any LA studio starts at like 4 mil, right? And sound mixing is a BTL job? I'm sure I don't need to spell out that acronym to a big industry insider such as yourself.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I know a few who have pretty nice places and a decent surround setup but sure, I guess? Even if they’re mixing and approving in studios that are really nice.

Without getting weird and creepy and linking to places your prices for LA real estate is about 4x higher than reality, even if you mean Fox which is near Cheviot Hills. It is really expensive though!

Absolutely wild response to “the studios don’t do this because there’s no money in it” though. And a little wild comparing it to things they get additional licensing or physical shipments for.

But hey, again, I suffer though this too and it’s sucks.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sellouts posted:

I know a few who have pretty nice places and a decent surround setup but sure, I guess? Even if they’re mixing and approving in studios that are really nice.

Without getting weird and creepy and linking to places your prices for LA real estate is about 4x higher than reality, even if you mean Fox which is near Cheviot Hills. It is really expensive though!

Absolutely wild response to “the studios don’t do this because there’s no money in it” though. And a little wild comparing it to things they get additional licensing or physical shipments for.

But hey, again, I suffer though this too and it’s sucks.

Oh are we flexing on who lives in LA the most because me and the boiling pit of tar beside me will win that fight. It's ok to take an L once in a while, man. Really. Any time you catch yourself saying "studios don't care about money from-" just take a lil break. Sometimes things are bad because bad decisions were made. You don't have to find a justification every time just so glorious capitalism remains unblemished.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I like the idea that there is money in doing it, but every hollywood studio has collectively decided not to do it because__________

It's absolutely because there's no financial incentive to do it, based on no increased returns and an outlay to do it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

wait, are we neighbors? You live near the tar pits, too?

Has your power been out for almost 24hrs during this heat wave?

I think we actually agree here which is really weird but not sure!!

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khablam posted:

I like the idea that there is money in doing it, but every hollywood studio has collectively decided not to do it because__________

It's absolutely because there's no financial incentive to do it, based on no increased returns and an outlay to do it.

If you think capitalists don't regularly leave huge amounts of money on the table for arbitrary and petty reasons I've got a few thousand history books for you to read.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sellouts posted:

wait, are we neighbors? You live near the tar pits, too?

Has your power been out for almost 24hrs during this heat wave?

I think we actually agree here which is really weird but not sure!!

I do and yes! I'm sublimating my heat-rage in the home streaming thread, as you do. Do you think I would die from heatstroke if I stepped outside to find iced coffee?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Huego posted:

I do and yes! I'm sublimating my heat-rage in the home streaming thread, as you do. Do you think I would die from heatstroke if I stepped outside to find iced coffee?

Dude, I’m not kidding. You might live on my street because everyone else around us seems like they have power except us. This is awesome.

It’s really bad out and some places are closed for Labor Day. I went to Starbucks at like 7am because it was too hot to sleep and I didn’t want to open the fridge and get my iced coffee.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Huego posted:

Dive into the tar pits to cool off, like Jack Slater in Last Action Hero

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also when the power went out I figured it would be a while so the first thing I did was make sure my NAS and Plex servers shut down gracefully

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sellouts posted:

Dude, I’m not kidding. You might live on my street because everyone else around us seems like they have power except us. This is awesome.

It’s really bad out and some places are closed for Labor Day. I went to Starbucks at like 7am because it was too hot to sleep and I didn’t want to open the fridge and get my iced coffee.
Ha, that rules. But don't worry, the LADWP sent me a very personal text message assuring that they would "attempt to have the power back on within 48 hours"

TheScott2K posted:

Dive into the tar pits to cool off, like Jack Slater in Last Action Hero

sellouts posted:

Also when the power went out I figured it would be a while so the first thing I did was make sure my NAS and Plex servers shut down gracefully
fool, I charged up all my extra phone batteries for unlimited posting

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

teagone posted:

You can see if Plex is properly transcoding the audio streams to 2.0 stereo by using the Plex Dash app for iOS/Android. Also, is your TV a smart TV? I remember having to change my brother's Roku TV to stereo output in order to get Plex to properly transcode 5.1 HD audio streams to 2.0 AAC stereo for his sound bar.

Thanks, I completely forgot to use the plex dashboard or the dash app to check to see if anything was happening to the audio stream.

There was, and I'm assuming I've fixed it. I'm only getting the chance to sit down and watch something now so we'll see if it makes a difference

Image is after/before. Seems it was direct playing the audio @ 5.1 and after it was being transcoded

In Plex I had to go to the advanced settings and set passthrough to optical with no optical encoding. The android TV is set to never use surround sound, and the samsung TV is set for PCM audio passthrough.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Penpal posted:

Thanks, I completely forgot to use the plex dashboard or the dash app to check to see if anything was happening to the audio stream.

There was, and I'm assuming I've fixed it. I'm only getting the chance to sit down and watch something now so we'll see if it makes a difference

Image is after/before. Seems it was direct playing the audio @ 5.1 and after it was being transcoded

In Plex I had to go to the advanced settings and set passthrough to optical with no optical encoding. The android TV is set to never use surround sound, and the samsung TV is set for PCM audio passthrough.

Yeah, looks good now. Does it sound any better? The volume boost settings might help a little more now.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While I'm here, is there any dicking around I can do with like ports or something to get the watch with a friend feature to stay connected for a whole movie? Or is this just a bandwidth thing, in which case I'm out of luck.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly, movie studios don't seem to truly "get" what 2.0 users and non-audiophiles are looking for. I want a 2.0 track where the loudest things that happen in the movie happen at the same volume as dialog. Because yeah, I don't want to babysit the remote. The kids are asleep 30 feet away, and I want to hear what people are saying. I don't need explosions to be louder than what people are saying. I don't need music to fill the room.

Volume normalizing only does so much, please just give me a "watching through my tv speakers" 2.0 track I don't have to babysit.

One of the unusual benefits with iTunes digital copies is that Apple mandates a stereo track on the master files they receive, and every digital file includes a 2.0 track that’s generally a proper official mix along with a separate track for 5.1/7.1/Atmos if applicable.

I’m also fine tuning a script to do this to a folder full of mkv movies: just pull the audio track and run it through an ffmpeg mixdown with per-channel volume adjustments, and mux the new track back into the mkvs as an alternate audio track.

It’s a bit odd because the industry standard stereo mixdown gives full power to the left and right channels but only partial power to the center speaker. Since the LR channels typically have music and effects and the center typically has dialogue, you get that extreme dynamic range. Even just flipping the relative channel power (full power to center and partial power to side channels) goes a long way towards an audio track that’s way more comfortable for controlled-volume watching.

Sure it’s not “canon” but neither is a movie from 1989 having a 7.1 surround sound track, and sometimes you just gotta watch a movie lazily like it’s airing on TNT randomly and not like you’re at a fancy dress premiere for the movie in a reference-tier cinema.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

As long as we're wishing for stuff, proper subtitles would be very much appreciated. Closed captions aren't the same thing!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

odiv posted:

As long as we're wishing for stuff, proper subtitles would be very much appreciated. Closed captions aren't the same thing!

code:
(crowd noises of agreement)
At the very least, subtitles are actually a thing you can make yourself. I just finished a mass conversion of those for my movie files too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

odiv posted:

Buddy, so many people would have to sign off on it. And someone would have to actually sit down and do it. The people who make movies, their hearing works, so they're just not interested.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How does an i5-25k @ 3.3 stack up for plex work? I revived an old desktop build and that’s what I have to work with as of now. No GPU to speak of, so it’s CPU or bust.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lmao you’re still mad but at least at the end you actually stumble into a valid point

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Warbird posted:

How does an i5-25k @ 3.3 stack up for plex work? I revived an old desktop build and that’s what I have to work with as of now. No GPU to speak of, so it’s CPU or bust.

Works fine, that’s what I have my unraid server on. I don’t do a lot of transcoding though and it will occasionally have to serve 2-3 video streams max so I’m not really pushing the edge.

I have done 4K->1080p transcoding and it was fine though!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I've been thinking about taking a swing at unraid, but I think I'll keep with ol'Ubuntu for the time being. Good to know though. I'm almost entirely local streaming to myself these days so honestly the Pi would have sufficed, but SD cards do tend to eat themselves and it is nice to have the transcoding option if I ever find myself outside of the house these days.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is everything wired?

For the longest time I had a slightly slower processor and it was completely fine for a stream out of house and everything internal that was also wired.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yep, I found out that those things in the wall were not in fact phone jacks and I've been high on the hog since. I'm debating leaving the drives on the Pi and mounting the SMB shares on the main server as we're looking at sub ms times on traceroute.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Penpal posted:

...I have the shield set to never use surround sound...

Holy poo poo, I never knew this was an option. I know it's not Plex-related but it always annoyed me that apps like Netflix or Disney+ would automatically pick 5.1 (despite no 5.1 device being connected to the TV), have no obvious way to change it and not allow me to control volume with the shield remote.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 8, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

odiv posted:

Just to confirm what we're talking about, what do you mean when you say "proper subtitles" here? Do mean dialogue-only without things like sound effect/music indications and taking out the name of who's speaking when they're off-screen?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I just want consistent non-english subtitles tbh. Alien or made-up languages often have hard coded subs, but if I want subs for languages in a movie I don't speak (like Spanish or German) I've got to enable subs for all dialogue.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

nexus6 posted:

I just want consistent non-english subtitles tbh. Alien or made-up languages often have hard coded subs, but if I want subs for languages in a movie I don't speak (like Spanish or German) I've got to enable subs for all dialogue.

Oh yeah, you need what are often referred to as “forced” subtitles. Yeah, that’s annoying to prep especially if you’re not intimately familiar with the movie/show. I wish MKV had a standard where you can say “if I enable English audio I want this subtitle track auto-enabled.” I’ve taken to doing burn-in renders, especially for movies where the subtitles have a specific look (Avatar being an obvious example). But that’s inconsistent too, some Blu-rays have a separate sub track for forced subs, some just have one subtitle track where certain lines have a “forced” flag enabled.

I kind of wish the French closed captioning system caught on elsewhere since subtitles are color-coded based on what they are which makes pulling only certain things a snap (it’s something like white is on-screen speaker, yellow is off-screen speaker, red is sound effects and green is speaking in a foreign language).

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

univbee posted:

Oh yeah, you need what are often referred to as “forced” subtitles. Yeah, that’s annoying to prep especially if you’re not intimately familiar with the movie/show.

Pretty much. I'll be watching a movie/show and then some characters will start speaking in a language I don't understand. I'll think "it's only a few lines, I'll get the context" but then it'll turn out to be the majority so I have to stop, look for subs then resume.

Bonus points if the only subs I find are for all dialogue but then says [speaks in Spanish] for the parts where I want to know what's being said.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
District 9 was very confusing to me the first time I saw it, as I had no subtitles for the prawns.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if there’s a db of which movies have “foreign” subs and an indication of how the DVD/Blu-ray handle it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

univbee posted:

Just to confirm what we're talking about, what do you mean when you say "proper subtitles" here? Do mean dialogue-only without things like sound effect/music indications and taking out the name of who's speaking when they're off-screen?
Yes I mean dialogue only. The name thing I could take or leave, but stuff like [speaking Thai] or [rap music] is what I'd like to see gone from English subtitles.

If you want to see what I mean usually you can turn on the Spanish subtitles for a movie that does this and compare and contrast with the English (sdh) ones and see how different they are.

TheScott2K posted:

Buddy, so many people would have to sign off on it. And someone would have to actually sit down and do it. The people who make movies, their hearing works, so they're just not interested.
Eh, it's happened before and not a huge amount of money. I think a couple of movies have been reissued later with correct subtitles. But yeah, the will just isn't there for the most part so not many bother. Also, I did say I was wishing, didn't I? :)

edit: Also I notice it movies not in English. So "their hearing works" doesn't really apply.

odiv fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 8, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Those are English SDH subtitles, they're not super uncommon but maybe not always on rips. subscene.com might have em though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Mostly I encounter this on Netflix or physical media, but it might be worth looking for alternative subtitles it in some cases since it bugs me so much.

I did call them English (sdh) in my post as well? I don't mind that they exist since some people require them. Just get annoyed when they're the only option.