Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
I just read that you lose every building when transition from tribal to feudal society,
as i'm playing as a viking, that would be a game killer.

My goal to just transition peacefully up in the north has changed,
and I'll need to conquer a feudal society first,
Some unlucky feudal nation is gonna have a visit from the 23,000 horde i have managed to gather.

anyway. 10/10 game, never played CK2 before and this is my first run.
just smashed the swedes, 59 years old and am now king of Vestlond/Norway/Denmark and Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Descar posted:

I just read that you lose every building when transition from tribal to feudal society,

Some unlucky feudal nation is gonna have a visit from the 23,000 horde i have managed to gather.

just smashed the swedes, 59 years old and am now king of Vestlond/Norway/Denmark and Sweden.

also watch out for the fact that all your retinues will suddenly require gold for upkeep

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013
Anybody got advice for a men at arms build for Daura? I’m starting an Ironman run and I’m not sure what combo to start with.

Also Paradox needs to fix this: you lose all buildings when converting from tribal to feudal thing.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Eej posted:

Workaround to Ambitious stress is you don't take any hit if you give titles out to pre existing vassals. It's creating new ones that's the problem. Having gigantic vassals in itself can be a problem of course but that's Ambitous for ya.
I would like to know logic behind this. Thanks, I was unaware of this, I was usually giving titles to some unlanded lowborn randoms too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah poo poo, you had to have your character as the leader of the raiding army to get those additional loot events? Fuckin hell, I could've made so much more cash/development

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK, I take it back, the evening was not wasted.

I ended up gaining a claim on the imperial throne, and I saw there was the option to challenge the emperor as a decision?

I didn't think of what the event would actually be and it should have been on my mind that it might be a combat challenge and my character has never fought a battle in her life.

It turns out though that I made the best decision in a Hunt event weeks before and got poachers to teach me bow skills, which was just enough to edge me over the emperor's skills in combat... while I was pregnant

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK, I take it back, the evening was not wasted.

I ended up gaining a claim on the imperial throne, and I saw there was the option to challenge the emperor as a decision?

I didn't think of what the event would actually be and it should have been on my mind that it might be a combat challenge and my character has never fought a battle in her life.

It turns out though that I made the best decision in a Hunt event weeks before and got poachers to teach me bow skills, which was just enough to edge me over the emperor's skills in combat... while I was pregnant

The AI did this to me and I did not make the roll. Needless to say I am not happy and you better watch your back too! Probably gotta max out Dread so no one even tries that poo poo on you or max out the right side of Stewardship.

Dwesa posted:

I would like to know logic behind this. Thanks, I was unaware of this, I was usually giving titles to some unlanded lowborn randoms too.

It only makes sense to me in terms of your vassals are your lackeys so you are supposed to have them under your thumb but creating new lackeys is risky and reducing your control over your own power.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Anybody got advice for a men at arms build for Daura? I’m starting an Ironman run and I’m not sure what combo to start with.

Also Paradox needs to fix this: you lose all buildings when converting from tribal to feudal thing.

I don't know if they have some specific cultural unit to take advantage of, but on a broad level you should probably focus on countering your potential opponents' Men-at-Arms since it dramatically reduces the damage they deal (Bowmen tend to be pretty solid since everyone seems to love Light Footmen), otherwise probably include some cavalry to take advantage of the pursuit phase and include one set of siege weapons to speed that up.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Starting as Daura and going full fertility for the Dinasty points I have managed to form Kanem-Bornu one month before dying of disease at 50. Currently spreading as my first heir, hoping to make isolated independent kingdoms behind my borders so they don't conquer anything weird and I don't inadvertently create new Empires at death. So far it seems to be working, with both Yorubaland and Dafur "locked" and ruled by independent dynasty members (hello 2 extra Dynasty Points/month).

I have two problems now:

- I have conquered the duchy of Cyrenaica (west of Alexandria) and moved my capital there, but even owning all the counties, my heir only gets one of them. I thought that transferring the Duchy would include all counties below it, like my other heirs are getting. For now I've given the other counties to old people that hopefully won't have children.
- My Heir is Gluttonous, Shy and Craven, which I refuse to play as, even if at the start of the campaign I decided to go for all children all the time and try to survive the Thunderdome. Sending him raiding behind enemy lines alone isn't working, despite his 3 prowess. Should I pack some cannon fodder with him so he has more time to die in battles?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

disaster pastor posted:

Seljuk empire is way too strong, pls nerf. Especially because every time I zoom out and see them stretching from Tobruk to Mogadishu to Minggam to the Urals, I hear Bill Wurtz in my head singing "it's the Seljuk turks."

Murderize the leader. Alp Aslan is pretty much invulnerable, but his successor is surprisingly easy with about 95% success. Next successor is a kid and things start to implode. Although my data is based is killing his heir while already enthroned, not beforehand.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

This is a dumb question , but eh - how do I put my dynasty on foreign thrones to accumulate more renown? Is it just a matter of "matrimarry your daughters to guys that are 4th in line to inherit and then stab all their siblings"?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TorakFade posted:

This is a dumb question , but eh - how do I put my dynasty on foreign thrones to accumulate more renown? Is it just a matter of "matrimarry your daughters to guys that are 4th in line to inherit and then stab all their siblings"?

That, or keep an eye out for kings who have a firstborn daughter, and then either pray they don't have a son or kill them to secure the throne for your daughter-in-law. Or, you could invite claimants to your realm, and wait until someone with a claim on a kingdom shows up, marry them into the family and press their claim. Or, if you're near people of other faiths, holy war for entire kingdoms, give all the titles to a dynast, and then grant them independence.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You also get renown for dynasty members married to independent rulers, just not quite as much as for being the actual ruler themself.

Edit: Ugh, getting an intrigue focused character with Compassionate sucks.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Broken Cog posted:

You also get renown for dynasty members married to independent rulers, just not quite as much as for being the actual ruler themself.

Edit: Ugh, getting an intrigue focused character with Compassionate sucks.

That seems like a seducer if I ever heard one.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The fate (or rather adventurous vassals and inheritance system) brought parts of Lotharingia, Western France and Central Spain into the hands of my tribal White Rus'. On inheritance, most of my lands went to a king's granddaughter (daughter of the older son) and the Kingdom of Ruthenia went to king's 1 year old from his second wife. After some power consolidation I became a target of a crusade, they wanted Lotharingia. I didn't care much for it but I still wanted to fight the crusade. And the lands of my young uncle would help.

Long story short my young uncle has tragically died in the forest and my queen coincidentally started spending a lot on charity. I got new men at arms, more lands... And I've discovered that my baby uncle allowed single vassal duke to unite most of the Ruthenian lands under his control. Also a huge Bulgaria/Galicia-Volhyia kingdom has attacked using subjugation CB. This CB means that the target looses all highest titles, not just the ones that were there on the war start, so backing out means losing 3 kingdom titles. There's also Khazaria attacking with exactly the same CB. Each of those people have bigger army than I do. I reformed religion so I don't get bonuses from being barbaric, but I'm still tribal. Naturally I have no allies cause my rule started with crusade and no one wants to marry my daughters (of course I have 3 daughters after having to seduce my shy paranoid fickle husband so that we start producing babies after 5 years of marriage).

So it looks like my dynasty will get a huge spanking right now. But this is great. It's really next level for Paradox. I am now extremely optimistic about whatever they do next. Of course they have a lot of time to spoil it with feature creep and dumb additions but who knows, maybe they'll surprise me again.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/09/08/paradox-interactives-qa-staff-allege-poor-treatment-low-pay-and-mismanaged-layoffs/

I'm enjoying the game a lot but this stuff is a bummer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you change the hair of someone in the barbershop, does that overwrite their DNA?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Broken Cog posted:

If you change the hair of someone in the barbershop, does that overwrite their DNA?

"Phrenology, as everyone knows, is a way of reading someone's character, aptitude and abilities by examining the bumps and hollows on their head. Therefore - according to the kind of logical thinking that characterizes the Ankh-Morpork mind - it should be possible to mould someone's character by giving them carefully graded bumps in all the right places. You can go into a shop and order an artistic temperament with a tendency to introspection and a side order of hysteria. What you actually get is hit on the head with a selection of different size mallets, but it creates employment and keeps the money in circulation, and that's the main thing."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

?????

Why does everyone think my chosen heir is inbred now? Do they know something I don't?

edit: to be clear, this baby definitely popped out of my current wife and she is a randomly generated lowborn character with no family.

edit 2: now my player hier is going to be my brother instead of my eldest son despite him not winning the election either, simply because he has one more vote. lol gently caress this, I'm just removing the elective system.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 8, 2020

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Any tips for fighting off the Vikings as Wessex? I started as Alfred and lucked into my brother dying almost right away, so that's nice, but there's still rampaging Norsemen controlling most of England. Alfred is an amazing ruler, but the combined strength of Jorvik and the Isles is pretty insurmountable. Do I just hold on and wait until at least one of the god tier viking rulers dies?

Edit: also, do their event troops disappear when they die or are they inherited?

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 8, 2020

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

?????

Why does everyone think my chosen heir is inbred now? Do they know something I don't?

edit: to be clear, this baby definitely popped out of my current wife and she is a randomly generated lowborn character with no family.

edit 2: now my player hier is going to be my brother instead of my eldest son despite him not winning the election either, simply because he has one more vote. lol gently caress this, I'm just removing the elective system.

If she hasn't been unfaithful with a relative, if she even has any, then it's probably another case of magical time traveling intrigue.

*Edit*

Now that I think about it, it certainly explains the event I had the other day, where my child's parentage was called into question, and I was pretty sure he was mine since both me and the kid had the genius and attractive trait, and the supposed "real" father had neither. I thought there would be a followup to that or a way to settle the matter one way or the other, but it never materialised, and judging from how the system supposedly works I guess it never could have. Can't say I'm a fan of this system.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 8, 2020

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Guildencrantz posted:

Any tips for fighting off the Vikings as Wessex? I started as Alfred and lucked into my brother dying almost right away, so that's nice, but there's still rampaging Norsemen controlling most of England. Alfred is an amazing ruler, but the combined strength of Jorvik and the Isles is pretty insurmountable. Do I just hold on and wait until at least one of the god tier viking rulers dies?

I did the exact same start as you, but Aethelred died at like age 70 so it was pretty different for me. I don't think anybody declared war on me. I spent my time building up my holdings and getting money and fabricating claims to just bump off all the other vassals around me. Getting to be an independent ruler too early may be a poisoned chalice I guess, because then said rampaging Norsemen will just start going for your throat.

Just spitballing, but look into ways you can ally with Mercia or one of the stronger French kings? Strong Viking rulers will constantly be an issue, but there will be times where their forces are locked up or their alliances break and you can snatch a county here and there. 150 years later and I'm Queen of England and Wales, but I still have pocket counties around me of Viking vassals who have combined alliance powers of like 12000.

e: oh and as to your edit, I only recently conquered half of Jorvik, and this whole time they have had a scary military number of an extra 4000 or so 'special troops', but I basically saw hide nor hair of them. They didn't miraculously appears to save them in any case. I'm pretty novice at CK, but generally speaking, a good 'tell' for when it's go time is when a bunch of their poo poo gets occupied in another war.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 8, 2020

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

PerilPastry posted:

Can you see who's on your liege's council somewhere? And can you ask/hook him into giving you a seat?

Still wondering about this if anyone knows? :)

It's always the Q&A guys who get the short end of the stick :/

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

PerilPastry posted:

Still wondering about this if anyone knows? :)

Yes, you can. It's a tab on the top right of your own Council screen. And you can absolutely get a position on their council. Just right-click interact with them. Don't know if it requires a hook or a hook is just useful. I know it can be modified in Feudal Contract to be mandatory though.

Last time I was a vassal, I was literally a permanent shoe in for Liege's marshal because I had a sky-high Martial stat and was already their most powerful vassal.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There really needs to be some way to force others to release specific people they have jailed. Give me a casus beli or a scheme or anything.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Jeza posted:

Yes, you can. It's a tab on the top right of your own Council screen. And you can absolutely get a position on their council. Just right-click interact with them. Don't know if it requires a hook or a hook is just useful. I know it can be modified in Feudal Contract to be mandatory though.

Last time I was a vassal, I was literally a permanent shoe in for Liege's marshal because I had a sky-high Martial stat and was already their most powerful vassal.

Thank you so much!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Goddamnit, I've had all the requirements to form India for several rulers now except the need to be the highest level of Devotion and I cannot for the life of me reach that within the life of one ruler. The best piety gain I got was +16 a month and was still 2000 Devotion away when he finally keeled over. You can wage a kingdom level holy war once per ruler and that still only gets you 150 points.

e: figured it out

Battles can be quite lucrative for piety (note this was a bit of an exceptional battle results may vary)

It seems to me the easiest way to get lots of prestige/piety is just to fight a lot, battles themselves can be quite lucrative. Though I think to get piety you need to fight infidels. Not necessarily in a holy war, just fight people of other faiths.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Out of curiosity, does Harald Fairhair try to become the king of Norway if you don't interfere with him?

I'm bad at history and can't tell if I sabotaged him by being nearby, or if something else got in the way. He's stuck in the Oslo area as an old man in this playthrough. I play as Torgar in the Northern most duchy, just chilling and developing. All the game rules are default.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Battles can be quite lucrative for piety (note this was a bit of an exceptional battle results may vary)

It seems to me the easiest way to get lots of prestige/piety is just to fight a lot, battles themselves can be quite lucrative. Though I think to get piety you need to fight infidels. Not necessarily in a holy war, just fight people of other faiths.
but, you need prestige/piety to declare wars

the best way to GET prestige/piety is to have a holy war declared on you

(this might not apply to tribals? only played feudal so far)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you have good men at arms regiments, it's totally worth it to split your raiding armies into just small enough that your raid target will actually fight it. You'll probably win easily because he'll be mostly levies and you can farm piety real good this way from a series of smaller battles.

When I reformed Norse it cost me 6800 piety but I was able to get it easily enough through raiding and fighting in Spain. I also learned that the 'raid for captives' CB can be used on anyone you share a border with, and if you're a big buff Norse kingdom it's easy to beat most kingdom level targets with this CB and get free courtiers which often include their children. Close family of kings is worth 250 piety for executing if you have the human sacrifice religion perk.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I played 3-4 different games before I realized that men-at-arms groups were more than just mercenaries. I guess I should be using these for like... a large portion of my force, despite costing fame and money.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Donnerberg posted:

Out of curiosity, does Harald Fairhair try to become the king of Norway if you don't interfere with him?

I'm bad at history and can't tell if I sabotaged him by being nearby, or if something else got in the way. He's stuck in the Oslo area as an old man in this playthrough. I play as Torgar in the Northern most duchy, just chilling and developing. All the game rules are default.

I mean, he tries as much as any other nearby lords, but since he doesn't have his event troops like he did in CK2 it doesn't usually go too well for him. Usually in my games he ends up a vassal of Sweden or Denmark.

He can definitely be strong (and since there seems to be a norse woman that always spawns with quick and beautiful on the 867 start, it can give you a quick start on genetics), but you need to play a bit smart and opportunistic with him, and the AI isn't really capable of that.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Converting to Adamism was a great idea

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Magil Zeal posted:

Slaughter indeed.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
So I hold the Kingdom of Ireland and I've managed to vassalize enough of Wales for me to create the Kingdom of Wales title. With succession the way it is, is it better for me to hold off on creating the Kingdom of Wales title lest I want to lose it on my death?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Broken Cog posted:

There really needs to be some way to force others to release specific people they have jailed. Give me a casus beli or a scheme or anything.

Yeah, I was surprised to find that you can't even politely request it. My heir ended up jailed in another kingdom for some reason, and despite the other ruler having a positive opinion of me, there were no options to nudge the process along.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Descar posted:

Yeah it's better to transition to Clan or Feudal when you are still small so you don't get wrecked by Man at Arms upkeep.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

He.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

self-bullying will lead him to travel through time and gently caress his own mother to own himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Fragrag posted:

So I hold the Kingdom of Ireland and I've managed to vassalize enough of Wales for me to create the Kingdom of Wales title. With succession the way it is, is it better for me to hold off on creating the Kingdom of Wales title lest I want to lose it on my death?

Yes. As long as you don’t have Confederate Partition, this will work.