Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

australians are way better imho

The Australian accent is like nails on blackboard only without the melody even when they aren't saying arrogant racist poo poo. Imo the Irish are the true swearers and everyone else just emulates them to a greater or lesser degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Slavvy posted:

The Australian accent is like nails on blackboard only without the melody even when they aren't saying arrogant racist poo poo. Imo the Irish are the true swearers and everyone else just emulates them to a greater or lesser degree.

Oof.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

JFC. Thread title.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I once had an Australian bartender tell my born and raised in Chicago buddy that his accent was sexy. A very :wtf: moment for me

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I can’t really decide if this is a scooter anthem or a dying small town state capital anthem but it’s charming.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MtVfEGykzFg

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like they're at it again, on electric bieks this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611fw81BN98

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
:911::911:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK2FBEpmlUo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And of course after posting that, YouTube recommends Becktastic's Motoventuring video where they go to Burning Man :)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Any time I open a YouTube video that even mentions trump I immediately delete it from my watch history

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
No way I'm watching 9 minutes of that but it was worth skipping ahead to see the Randy Savage cosplayer at 3:12

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Wholesome old trike dude.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DloZAKBgmqw

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m sure it takes hours of footage and editing, but I really admire the AGNB guys ability to get such open and honest responses out of people without coming across as mocking them. It must have a bit to do with his appearance and general facial expressions of delighted amusement.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m sure it takes hours of footage and editing, but I really admire the AGNB guys ability to get such open and honest responses out of people without coming across as mocking them. It must have a bit to do with his appearance and general facial expressions of delighted amusement.

People want to talk. He simply lets them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Anyone interested in purchasing this 4 D-Cell powered EV bike simulator? Possibly for a child or man child?

No front brake:
A) Cause you ain't no pussy
B) you might flip over the front end

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 7, 2020

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MetaJew posted:

Anyone interested in purchasing this 4 D-Cell powered EV bike simulator? Possibly for a child or man child?

No front brake:

I like the fact that the speed is meassured in kilometers per mile per hour.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

No front brake:

Sagebrush has just woken up with a start and doesn't know why.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I like the fact that the speed is meassured in kilometers per mile per hour.

Km/mph (cross one out)

In the 80's, with the power of cocaine, anything was possible. Like this:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Km/mph (cross one out)

In the 80's, with the power of cocaine, anything was possible. Like this:

I'm surprised that's on a Japanese bike. On the other hand, a European brand would solve the issue by shoving a battery in in such a way that the terminals can't be reached and that it leaks acid when going uphill.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MetaJew posted:

No front brake:

I guess the 250 wasn't my first bike, because I totally had one of these as a kid. It was from Goodwill and didn't work, but that didn't stop me from having fun.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mister Speaker posted:

I guess the 250 wasn't my first bike, because I totally had one of these as a kid. It was from Goodwill and didn't work, but that didn't stop me from having fun.

This one is off to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Do millennial parents even know what D-Cell batteries are?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MetaJew posted:

This one is off to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Do millennial parents even know what D-Cell batteries are?

I had to get some for a child toy last week. Took three shops before I found a packet that wasn't out of date.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MetaJew posted:

Do millennial parents even know what D-Cell batteries are?

What do you think a millennial is, exactly?

Also LMAO dealing with D Cells ever. Even back in the 90s they were an expensive unicorn.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MetaJew posted:

Even for younger millennials, flashlights and radios and poo poo all ran on Ds when we were young. Lithium batteries and usb charging is an extremely recent thing, relatively speaking.
I still have electronic equipment for my job that runs on them. It’s a pain in the rear end, but poo poo works.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why aren't lithium ion batteries shaped like D and AA and stuff? I know backwards compatibility is like, not a thing anymore but I mean DVD's are the same shape as CD's.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 8, 2020

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Why aren't lithium ion batteries shaped like D and AA and stuff? I know backwards compatibility is like, not a thing anymore but I mean DVD's are the same shape as CD's.

I thought they did for AA?

D cells I think has to do with how much energy is stored in them in D size might make them dangerous if overloaded or something? IDK I'm just guessing.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Nah it’s just what works best for the chemistry or the engineering or whatever. Stacking layers of electrolyte and electrodes vs coiling them up.

18650 batteries are my favorite and they’re still shaped like a cylinder.

My big backup bank that can jump a car is a big thick brick of lithium.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Carth Dookie posted:

I thought they did for AA?

D cells I think has to do with how much energy is stored in them in D size might make them dangerous if overloaded or something? IDK I'm just guessing.

Yeah, and some AAA and 9V, but there aren't many things I see any more that take a 9V shape.

Gen Z will never understand licking a battery to see how much juice it had.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Multimeters still take 9v bricks, I reckon it's intentional because if your multimeter is dead you need a redundant method of checking if it's the battery at fault.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Slavvy posted:

Battery chemistry defines the voltage of a cell, with Li-ion at 3.6V vs the 1.2-1.5V used in AAA-D's standard. Recently you can get Li-ion batteries in the standard form factor, but they include circuitry to reduce the voltage which hurts cost/space/reliability.

Ya'll need to enroll in battery university

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gullous posted:

Battery chemistry defines the voltage of a cell, with Li-ion at 3.6V vs the 1.2-1.5V used in AAA-D's standard. Recently you can get Li-ion batteries in the standard form factor, but they include circuitry to reduce the voltage which hurts cost/space/reliability.

Ya'll need to enroll in battery university

I've seen USB-charged batteries in AAA and AA, but never C and D, which is weird. Internally they're just normal lithium cells and overload protection (with like you say a step-down transformer), I wonder if it's something to do with the amount of potential current that anything using C or particularly D batteries might draw being a problem?

Or it could just be that everything using the big batteries is stuff like incandescent lamps/torches, ghetto blasters, and big motorised toys that all have much better total replacements available nowadays (or has the option of mains power) so there's just not the demand to make it worth even the obscurest alibaba merchant to start churning them out.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Or it could just be that everything using the big batteries is stuff like incandescent lamps/torches, ghetto blasters, and big motorised toys that all have much better total replacements available nowadays (or has the option of mains power) so there's just not the demand to make it worth even the obscurest alibaba merchant to start churning them out.

My first and last digital radio had a slot in the back to take a bunch of D cells, but you could also buy a lithium pack that went in the same hole.

It was expensive and I never bothered getting it.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I've got a few Li-ion AA's and they work okay, but they seem to need recharging way more frequently that just a standard AA. It would be awesome to have the same in C and D cells.

18650 cells own bones though. A startup I worked at made a pretty cool electric motorcycle prototype with them. You just had to keep your knees away from the sides since they were basically a jumble of loose and live wires. We handcrafted some carbon fiber side panels and learned pretty quickly that carbon fiber side panels are conductive.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Somebody out there is still making D cells, because you can still buy these things:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Maglites are just truncheons that light up so you can pretend they have a use other than beating people up.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Don't police departments use them? And therefore every boot-licking blue lives matter enthusiast is obligated to get one (or several) as well?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
who needs flashlights when the muzzle flash of your mag dump will light the way

mewse
May 2, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

Maglites are just truncheons that light up so you can pretend they have a use other than beating people up.

Nitrox posted:

Don't police departments use them? And therefore every boot-licking blue lives matter enthusiast is obligated to get one (or several) as well?

They're extremely well made and waterproof, they were the poo poo before white LEDs became available. 4 D's is basically a weapon vs the 3 D-cell model though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I worked with a guy who had the 6D version, and frankly that's just overcompensating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I had a 6 D-cell maglight back in the 90s and it was more aluminum baseball bat than flashlight. I've got an elderly LED 2 D-cell that's way brighter and don't get me started on the newer streamlight stuff I've seen.