Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It’s Kender, with an E. I haven’t said anything about people misspelling it until now but I’ve had some wine and feel like it’s necessary. Yes they’re halflings written to appeal more to a pedophile Mormon no wait I meant pedophile audience.

Oops, but yea. Also in the dragonlance novels they are constantly written as "Aren't these the coolest? Don't you wish you were a Kender???" they created their OCs and could not try to shove them in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Xenocides posted:

Then when 5e came along the Overgod Ao rewrote the tablets of fate (hit the reset button) which split the entire world and the dead deities came right back to life.

Ao, the GRRM of Overgods.

"No, me-dammit. That's not right. Time for another rewrite. Or.....I could go watch some Blood War action for a bit. The Acheron Pitfiends are having a Hell of a season. You've earned this me time Ao".

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
A Pen & Paper game I played had something like Kender as an option. The DM introduced them with "This is not a playable race here. You are not allowed to play these guys, unless we've known each other for years and you convince me that you can play this without being a terrible annoyance to everybody else."

The setting also had an elf rule, where an elf could one time get away with doing something stupid in a town, because they didn't know things. That was an actual ingame law. So we had this player who would invoke elf rule every time we entered a new town and it just got old so loving fast. I imagine if he'd played a Kender, we never would have gotten anything done.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

what is the actual difference between a kender and a halfling? Why do you guys hate these kender so much?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

what is the actual difference between a kender and a halfling? Why do you guys hate these kender so much?

Halflings are basically Tolkien hobbits with the serial numbers filed off.

Kender are a race that look perpetually like children and compulsively steal stuff, but "it's not bad, they just don't understand the concept of stealing" or some poo poo like that. They will steal from party members, they will steal from people you are actively trying to not piss off, and if someone in your group wants to play one, they will ruin your loving game and/or are a pedo.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Don't forget the part where the rules state that everybody loves those little scamps so much, they would never ever even dream of hurting them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CaptainCrunch posted:

Oh no, Clariel is that bad? :(

I mean it's okay, just completely outclassed by Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kender are a race of people who understand stealing is wrong, steal purely because they can not due to material need, and will never stop stealing no matter the consequence. The game calls them good and the gods will kill anyone who gets sick of their poo poo.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Barudak posted:

Kender are a race of people who understand stealing is wrong, steal purely because they can not due to material need, and will never stop stealing no matter the consequence. The game calls them good and the gods will kill anyone who gets sick of their poo poo.

They're the upper class as envisioned by lower class capitalists

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Kinder remind me of the gremlins from Voyage of the Basset, except the gremlins were portrayed like magpies than Artful Dodgers. They pickup any random thing left laying around if it caught their interest regardless of who it might belong to, but they'd also readily share whatever they'd collected if someone asked or they saw a need. I think someone said earlier about them that it'd be an interesting idea if the Kender were some kind of collectivists who didn't really have a concept of personal property instead of being a twee, rules-lawyer workaround on the ethics of theft.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I wanna declare that reading bad fantasy novels while drunk is probably the saddest thing I've read itt

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cancer posted:

I wanna declare that reading bad fantasy novels while drunk is probably the saddest thing I've read itt

Better than reading those trashy romance novels with a mostly shirtless dude on the front, and a woman with billowing shirt and the title in red glowing letters when drunk.

poo poo that is most fantasy novel covers too, isn't it?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Cowslips Warren posted:

Better than reading those trashy romance novels with a mostly shirtless dude on the front, and a woman with billowing shirt and the title in red glowing letters when drunk.

Yeah, just add like, a sword or glowering wolfman

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
There's an entire category called "Romantic Fantasy" that is exactly that. I've seen mummys, zombies, were-bears, ... The possibilities are endless and all of them are shirtless.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is it though?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

One of the D&D lore explainers on youtube just did a video on Kender last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qawkfFhap8c

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Cloacamazing! posted:

There's an entire category called "Romantic Fantasy" that is exactly that. I've seen mummys, zombies, were-bears, ... The possibilities are endless and all of them are shirtless.

Wait, shirtless mummies? :crossarms:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

if Kender were just small affable crow people they could totally get away with the shitbrained stealing thing, just saying

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's why all the kender players moved onto kenku

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Plus crowfolk would not at all act like they didn't steal, the entire game is to CATCH them stealing so they can dance around cawing mad trying to play snatch with you (to distract you with how quick you are while three more crows come steal your buttons).

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Wait, shirtless mummies? :crossarms:

Bandages and an opened shirt, plus a surprising amount of muscles for a dead guy.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean it's okay, just completely outclassed by Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

Bandages and an opened shirt, plus a surprising amount of muscles for a dead guy.

Being dead no excuse to skip Leg Day. :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cloacamazing! posted:

A Pen & Paper game I played had something like Kender as an option. The DM introduced them with "This is not a playable race here. You are not allowed to play these guys, unless we've known each other for years and you convince me that you can play this without being a terrible annoyance to everybody else."

The setting also had an elf rule, where an elf could one time get away with doing something stupid in a town, because they didn't know things. That was an actual ingame law. So we had this player who would invoke elf rule every time we entered a new town and it just got old so loving fast. I imagine if he'd played a Kender, we never would have gotten anything done.

Sounds like that guy who always wants to play Malkavian in Vampire TM

"Okay so the Vampire Hunters are coming into the basement"
"I roll to hide in the shado...."
"I Jump up and start singing the theme to Three's Company! Because I'm wacky! I'm a Malkavian!"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

christ save us all that the days of fishmalks are over, even if the spirit persists

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Man, Raymond E Feist. The first trilogy was great, and serpentwar was awesome until it fizzled and it turns out the interdimensional snake threat was all a sham. After this he kept time skipping 50 years and killing off everyone but Pug and the Not-Elf guy, kinda ruining motivation to continue. Had to put this poo poo down when I got to the one book where Pug screws with the protagonist under the auspices of training. How did he do this? By recruiting a psychopath chick to be the protag's fake girlfriend, for reasons that still make no sense.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

This thread moves so fast I missed this one.

Piers Anthony has written so, so much, and some of it is even good. His sci-fi stuff in particular. Xanth is for 12 year olds which is why I liked it when I picked it up so long ago.

I think he’s cool because if you send him an email on his website hipiers.com, he’ll respond and you can have a nice conversation with him.
I chatted with him a bit last summer, smart guy for a crotchety old man. I suggested he check out something awful since he’s so into helping wannabe writers.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You think wrong. Look at all the examples posted in this thread. Piers Anthony is a grade A creep.

The first Xanth book has a long part about how a woman was just so hot, men can't help raping her. That does not belong into any book for a twelve year old, or any book for that matter.

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 8, 2020

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Cloacamazing! posted:

You think wrong. Look at all the examples posted in this thread. Piers Anthony is a grade A creep.

The first Xanth book has a long part about how a woman was just so hot, men can't help raping her. That does not belong into any book for a twelve year old, or any book for that matter.

cool you should tell him that. have a chat about context and moral gradient, im sure he'll say something smart. im not gonna argue the meaning of someone else's words. i liked the omnivore series. no rape, mostly mushrooms.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 8, 2020

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

:same:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Even worse, you might read them sober.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Grimoire posted:

After this he kept time skipping 50 years and killing off everyone but Pug and the Not-Elf guy, kinda ruining motivation to continue.

Don't forget he would continue to introduce new characters who were basically carbon copies of Jimmy the Hand, Locklear, Arutha, and the rest.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

there wolf posted:

Kinder remind me of the gremlins from Voyage of the Basset, except the gremlins were portrayed like magpies than Artful Dodgers. They pickup any random thing left laying around if it caught their interest regardless of who it might belong to, but they'd also readily share whatever they'd collected if someone asked or they saw a need. I think someone said earlier about them that it'd be an interesting idea if the Kender were some kind of collectivists who didn't really have a concept of personal property instead of being a twee, rules-lawyer workaround on the ethics of theft.

This is what Kender are supposed to be, but the people who want to play them are the reason they are the way they are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grimoire posted:

Man, Raymond E Feist. The first trilogy was great, and serpentwar was awesome until it fizzled and it turns out the interdimensional snake threat was all a sham. After this he kept time skipping 50 years and killing off everyone but Pug and the Not-Elf guy, kinda ruining motivation to continue. Had to put this poo poo down when I got to the one book where Pug screws with the protagonist under the auspices of training. How did he do this? By recruiting a psychopath chick to be the protag's fake girlfriend, for reasons that still make no sense.

Yea, Fiest at least understood that people weren't inherently evil. Tsurani were a bit more brutal culturally than the Kingdom and kept slaves, but they weren't shown to be some race of boiling puppies for fun. They were a blend of Aztecs, Japan and Romans. Their invasion even made sense, their world was metal poor so finding some other world where metal was so plentiful people just left it laying around would be worthy of conquest.

The Serpent War had the benefit that the main characters were commoners, even if one was a bastard of a noble. The second one is weird as it focuses so much on economics, but I do love that one of the characters was revealed to be a spy and when he trys to turn on the Kingdom the invaders don't give a poo poo.

Though one of my favorite books is the one where the villain of the book before it becomes the main character and is given a chance to redeem himself.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My first introduction to Feist was a book called Lady of the Acoma or something and it was about the other perspective of the Riftwar and all the political machinations that were happening inside the invading nation.

I remember really liking it, much more than the main books when I eventually got around to reading them.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I started reading Feist because I love the game Betrayal at Krondor so much.

The serpentwar was when I started to go off him. Book 1 was fine, book 2 was great, and then the last two kind of fizzled out for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

I started reading Feist because I love the game Betrayal at Krondor so much.

The serpentwar was when I started to go off him. Book 1 was fine, book 2 was great, and then the last two kind of fizzled out for me.

I did like that the Kingdom basically said "We can't stop them, but we can hurt them and slow them down to save as many people as we can". They went all scorched earth on the Emerald Queens army. But then the end got really esoteric where they theorized they were all living inside a gods dream or something?

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
honestly we are talking about the late 90s when I read them but there was some convoluted stuff like that and Pug being like "From now on I am now doing Macros the black stuff but even more so and across the multiverse that this series just introduced".

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Anyone else like William Forstchen and his Lost Regiment series until you found out he co-authored a book with Newt Gingrich which..., you guessed it, let Nazi Germany survive WW2?

"1945 is an alternate history written by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen in 1995 that described the period immediately after World War II in which the United States had fought only against Japan, which allowed Nazi Germany to force a truce with the Soviet Union, and the two victors confront each other in a cold war, which swiftly turns hot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

in retrospect the massive number of books involving alt-time Nazi places which get loving detail are just no-poo poo suspect in the extreme