Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Just a heads up, I'm hearing that there are a bunch of videos going around social media today with poo poo like cat pictures interspersed with serious gore, so be cautious as you trawl around for thread content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/AwfulReddit/status/1302771978760343553

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think we just take any recipe and tart it up to taste.

You cook like i get dressed, that's rad.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Silly Newbie posted:

Just a heads up, I'm hearing that there are a bunch of videos going around social media today with poo poo like cat pictures interspersed with serious gore, so be cautious as you trawl around for thread content.

You can tell which pictures these are because they’ll flash their headlights at you as part of their gang initiation

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Incelshok Na posted:

The cool thing about instapots is that they have three things: a pressure regulator, to control and maintain pressure inside the cooker; a vent pipe, which allows excess pressure to be released; and a sealing ring, which creates a pressure-tight seal between the lid and the body.

So, you have your special sauce. That's totally open, red, white, plenty of options! You can find plenty of sources online. Timing is important, so take your trusted Casio F-91W and make sure you know when things are ready to pop. Add some other things from your kitchen to the pot. It doesn't really matter what. Like, you could literally add rusty old nails. The Instantpot is a solid brand and will absolutely make anything taste good. After that just pressurize it, put it where you want it and let your watch do the magic.

Best cooking implement ever.

Consider for the moment, this recipe:

WHAT IS IN THIS BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE?
Canned Tomatoes
5-6 cloves Garlic
Minced Fresh Ginger
Turmeric
Cayenne Pepper
Smoked Paprika
Kosher Salt
Garam Masala
Ground Cumin
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, (or use skinless chicken breast, bone-in, or whatever works for you. If frozen, add 1-2 minutes to total time)
Butter cut into cubes, (use coconut oil if dairy-free)
Heavy Cream, (use full-fat coconut milk if dairy-free)
Garam Masala spice mix
chopped cilantro

Throw it all in there and it basically takes care of itself. Delicious dish. I recommend using more water than is in this recipe but ymmv.

im gonna try this thanks. i love butter chicken but i can never make the sauce good.

Frog Act posted:

You can tell which pictures these are because they’ll flash their headlights at you as part of their gang initiation

LOL

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Frog Act posted:

No, apparently a guy ended his life on tiktok last night, and people are blind sharing it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Silly Newbie posted:

No, apparently a guy ended his life on tiktok last night, and people are blind sharing it.
I heard it might have started livestreamed on facebook and then people shared it to tiktok, but yeah. poo poo's hosed up.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

snergle posted:

im gonna try this thanks. i love butter chicken but i can never make the sauce good.

Go with God into glory brother!

https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

Feel free to use that take on my recipe if you want to actually make butter chicken.

It tastes extra good next to mail boxes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/1303155366813863937

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Pretty mild IOSM but in this discussion about whether or not ~young people~ should get jobs picking fruit to justify welfare payments, someone says 'there never used to be such a thing as backpackers' (because they are the ones who usually get offered these jobs since they can be paid poo poo money with no workers rights) and then goes on to describe what is essentially a backpacker.

They also ignore the fact that Australia is currently in a recession, and multiple states are on different levels of Covid19 lockdown, with one state having complete border closure 'But if you didn't like it move on, there was always plenty of work'. loving kids these days don't realise they're missing the best time of their lives, get outside and enjoy the sunshine!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

TheMostFrench posted:

Pretty mild IOSM but in this discussion about whether or not ~young people~ should get jobs picking fruit to justify welfare payments, someone says 'there never used to be such a thing as backpackers' (because they are the ones who usually get offered these jobs since they can be paid poo poo money with no workers rights) and then goes on to describe what is essentially a backpacker.

They also ignore the fact that Australia is currently in a recession, and multiple states are on different levels of Covid19 lockdown, with one state having complete border closure 'But if you didn't like it move on, there was always plenty of work'. loving kids these days don't realise they're missing the best time of their lives, get outside and enjoy the sunshine!

If a farm can't attract workers to pick the fruit then they aren't offering enough remuneration. It's called the Free Market.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inceltown posted:

If a farm can't attract workers to pick the fruit then they aren't offering enough remuneration. It's called the Free Market.

I don't think they want young people doing this because there's not enough people to pick fruit, they want young people doing this so they can abolish the welfare state (which is mostly not used by young people).

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Make the old age pension dependent on fruit picking

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Skwirl posted:

I don't think they want young people doing this because there's not enough people to pick fruit, they want young people doing this so they can abolish the welfare state (which is mostly not used by young people).

I don’t know about Australia, but the US is really hosed right now when it comes to fruit and vegetable picking because of the whole COVID thing.

This article suggests that Australia is having a significant shortage :shrug:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Skwirl posted:

For sure, I was just using their own market forces rhetoric to have a go at them.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I don’t know about Australia, but the US is really hosed right now when it comes to fruit and vegetable picking because of the whole COVID thing.

Australia is definitely having problems. We normally use foreign travellers who can extend their visa if they pick fruit for a while and Pacific Islanders who get flown in to get their wages stolen too. Covid has destroyed the normal workforce.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Speaking of idiots on social media, whatever happened to that psycho Maoist/brony/furry from Oakland, Alluvia Havel or something like that?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Travistritt/status/1303125209839480833

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

They’re the same picture.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

vdarknight posted:

So is there scope for a thread on discussions of class? Not d&d - I haven't the intellect, but I seem to think that Americans think they are classless, but from my twisted UK vision, you are so class-ridden, but believe the propaganda and think you're equal which frankly is hilarious. Ours is blatant but ignored and yet, some of you think that the USA doesn't have a class system? You so do - how do you claim otherwise?

I know some rich people are aware that classes exist in America, but they have a comically-skewed idea of what it means to be poor here. I remember my dad printing me out a copy of a thinkpiece he liked. (I tried to find it online, but it's been too long for me to remember much more than a couple of keywords.) The piece explained that we don't need welfare programs anymore: poor Americans are not truly deprived because they have access to lower-quality versions of all the things the rich enjoy. For example, rich Americans vacation in Tuscany every year, while poor Americans vacation at Disney World. That point stuck out to me because Disney trip costs have ballooned out of the reach of many middle-class Americans, let alone poor ones. Yes, technically you can pay for a Disney trip on a modest salary if you scrimp and save for months or even years. The same is true for this pizza-shaped handbag, which retails for $5,695. But I wouldn't call either of them "affordable."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pththya-lyi posted:

That point stuck out to me because Disney trip costs have ballooned out of the reach of many middle-class Americans, let alone poor ones. Yes, technically you can pay for a Disney trip on a modest salary if you scrimp and save for months or even years.

I feel like they could have made the same point without including the cost of buying an SUV as part of the cost of Disney World because 'you need to be able to get around.'

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Dienes posted:

I feel like they could have made the same point without including the cost of buying an SUV as part of the cost of Disney World because 'you need to be able to get around.'

But then they wouldn't have an article

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

I know some rich people are aware that classes exist in America, but they have a comically-skewed idea of what it means to be poor here. I remember my dad printing me out a copy of a thinkpiece he liked. (I tried to find it online, but it's been too long for me to remember much more than a couple of keywords.) The piece explained that we don't need welfare programs anymore: poor Americans are not truly deprived because they have access to lower-quality versions of all the things the rich enjoy. For example, rich Americans vacation in Tuscany every year, while poor Americans vacation at Disney World. That point stuck out to me because Disney trip costs have ballooned out of the reach of many middle-class Americans, let alone poor ones. Yes, technically you can pay for a Disney trip on a modest salary if you scrimp and save for months or even years. The same is true for this pizza-shaped handbag, which retails for $5,695. But I wouldn't call either of them "affordable."

speaking of clueless rubes, my wife's friend just got super offended we made fun of her for buying $1200 Gucci boots and immediately fired off with the ubiquitous "you're paying for the quality!!!!" line that makes people think they're smart for paying $1200 for boots or $200 for athleisure pants

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It is baffling that makers of those ridiculously overpriced clothes still rush to save fractions of a cent on production. Why even care at that price point when you're barely improving margins?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You don't get to be rich by giving money away.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ruffian Price posted:

It is baffling that makers of those ridiculously overpriced clothes still rush to save fractions of a cent on production. Why even care at that price point when you're barely improving margins?

I think it's caused by a couple of things, based on some discussions I had with people adjacent to the space:

- the production lines are set up with certain suppliers and techniques, and changing them to be higher quality can involve a lot more cost and delay than just the increase in materials or slight additional time to produce

- the person who is responsible for managing to a budget for production is often very far from the person who "gets" the money from sales, organizationally, and may have fixed budget elements for components of production independent of the item, except for the elements that are "supposed to" be invested in

I have no way to actually evaluate whether any of that is accurate, but the fashion-production-adjacent people I talked with left me with that impression, many moons ago

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sunswipe posted:

You don't get to be rich by giving money away.

Ebenezer Scrooge is real.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pththya-lyi posted:

The piece explained that we don't need welfare programs anymore: poor Americans are not truly deprived because they have access to lower-quality versions of all the things the rich enjoy.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You can buy a coffee maker for $30, it's not exactly an unobtainable luxury. :psyduck:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
real poor people salt their meat and store it in the cellar.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RoboRodent posted:

You can buy a coffee maker for $30, it's not exactly an unobtainable luxury. :psyduck:

So you are poor and manage to scrimp enough money to buy a coffee maker. But now you gotta buy coffee and creamer and sugar and that NEVER ENDS for the rest of your life you’re an rear end in a top hat

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my dad once told me it was cool that all Americans can have a top of the line phone and that's why America is great

I said if they have to essentially take out a loan with their provider and pay like 35% interest and then never actually end up owning the phone, it's not a "good" system and it isn't "working"

the market is so shamelessly predatory and regular people get hosed so hard because they feel like they need these luxuries to the point that they're willing to take out usurious loans to have them

or culture is absolutely sick to the core

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RoboRodent posted:

Oh yeah why do only less than half of poor households have one then, smart guy?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

hawowanlawow posted:

my dad once told me it was cool that all Americans can have a top of the line phone and that's why America is great

I said if they have to essentially take out a loan with their provider and pay like 35% interest and then never actually end up owning the phone, it's not a "good" system and it isn't "working"

the market is so shamelessly predatory and regular people get hosed so hard because they feel like they need these luxuries to the point that they're willing to take out usurious loans to have them

or culture is absolutely sick to the core

:capitalism:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And how do you classify refrigerators anyhow? There’s a big difference between one that’s actually capable of holding a decent amount of food and a glorified water cooler.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I grew up poor. We had appliances, sure.

But no power to use them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The thing is, every single apartment I've ever rented had a refrigerator. There's probably laws about it for places with a certain square footage.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Refrigerators are especially stupid since if you rent, and a lot of poor people do, they typically come with the place you rent, same with the stove.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah, same, every apartment i have ever lived in just had one. i have even had the fridge break in one and my landlord replaced that poo poo

i've never had to shop for a fridge in my life and i've never lived without one

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pulsarcat posted:

Refrigerators are especially stupid since if you rent, and a lot of poor people do, they typically come with the place you rent, same with the stove.

This is absolutely the case. I "have" a refrigerator, but I rent it, not own it.

The microwave in a hand-me-down from when my dad and his woman were retiring to a condo and had an extra, and the coffee maker is an old keurig that was a birthday present from my mom that I only use reusable filters in, and occasionally it makes alarming noises so I'm not sure how much longer it will last.

But according to this, I am not "poor" because I have such a luxury as a place to store my food so it doesn't go bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah, eventually i learned the innards of my coffee maker and how to repair it as the heating element frequently went haywire and i was not buying a new one until that one bit the dust

this is a $30 coffee maker i fought to preserve