Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

John Lee posted:

Yeah, I figured the ITOPOD was why I get more experience when offline. I'm idling in the Base, trying to max the Magitek set, after which I was going to stop aiming for set completion until I get the fancy Diggers I hear tell of. And I'm trying to get Yggdrasil up and running - the auto-grow upgrades for the fruit are relatively cheap, but I have to have a three million max Magic before I can auto-grow Pomegranates, which'll be 36k Experience, which is still an astonishing sum for me - I can get a few thousand a day, and ideally I'd be spending experience on magic power and bars as well. I suppose it wouldn't be TOO bad to get the 300,000 you need to grow Poms at all... but it'd still be a few days. I'll aim for that, and hope Yggdrasil is a solution all all my problems. There's an experience fruit! (that the ITOPOD perks inform me sucks)

The other thing that took me a while ti get used to is that it feels like more often than not, you'll unlock stuff waaay before you're going to properly use them.

Keep your mindset like that and instead just focus on repeating what you're doing.

NGU basically becomes a game of repetition in 24 hour bursts and the best tip I can give is to learn to get onto a pattern of making a few tweaks, then walking off and let the game do its thing while you get on with life.

Treat it like watering a plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lord Banana posted:

I'm stuck at SB (I'm guessing super boosters?). I can get to 179 boosters but then I'm at around e4200 points and it's a massive grind getting further, any tips?

Respec your space buildings, with priority being right to left. Make sure you're not missing a space or time upgrade, sometimes they show up when you unlock other stuff or get a certain amount and you could miss them.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Kin posted:

The other thing that took me a while ti get used to is that it feels like more often than not, you'll unlock stuff waaay before you're going to properly use them.

Keep your mindset like that and instead just focus on repeating what you're doing.

NGU basically becomes a game of repetition in 24 hour bursts and the best tip I can give is to learn to get onto a pattern of making a few tweaks, then walking off and let the game do its thing while you get on with life.

Treat it like watering a plant.

These are key takeaways. I think Ygg is both the best and biggest example of this, where it takes a couple months of grinding away at it before you hit a couple discrete boost points that (along with some multipliers from other sources) turns Ygg from a nothingburger to your biggest source of several key resources (AP, xp, etc...)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Xelkelvos posted:

Trimps apparently updated for anyone who played it

https://trimps.github.io/updates.html

I hadn't played this yet, this rules

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's very active, the only time you really need to idle at all is to push a couple of the challenges (hindrances) to get over some walls. It's good poo poo, though.

That isn't my experience so far. I'm at 18/18 of the second row (boosters and generators) and it seems like it's going to take hours of idling to make progress. There are no more upgrades to buy.

[edit]
Nevermind, I was missing an upgrade. Colorblindness is a bitch sometimes. The difference in the green between "I've bought this" and "I can afford this" is basically indistinguishable.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 7, 2020

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

posting to say ngu idle is cool.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Prestige Tree is interesting. It certainly scratches the NUMBERS GO UP WEEEEEE itch.

Its entirely an active game though, the most i have had to idle so far was maybe 10 seconds?

Its a little rough around the edges still, hopefully the numbers will be tuned a bit. E.g. the grind to the 3rd super booster. You need to spam enhance points for like an hour, gradually getting a tinmy bit more each time and eventually being able to afford an upgrade. This type of spam click, with enhance points being the bottleneck, happens several times though the roughest one was for the 3rd super booster.

Also i quit playing when i bought the first quirk. That reset everything in the above layers and the benefit from getting that quirk did not outweigh losing everything imo. Yes on paper it is faster to get back there (quirks state they multiply everything by 80 million) but in reality it is not, you are not limited by production speed for most parts of the game but by how fast you can click upgrade buttons and swap around between the various nodes. And all the bottlenecks happen at the same spots.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 8, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does NGU have any mechanics remaining after Cards? I just unlocked them, and seeing that it's more minimal-return drip-feed BS has completely sapped my interest in moving further, especially coming on the back of 2+ months of grinding incredibly small returns just to fight exile.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

He has said he would add the Cooking feature, but all the posts lately has been for his new game so im not sure if there is any ongoing development to NGU.
Would be nice if the game was finished and some of its bigger issues were tidied up before abandoning the game.

Cards aren't half bad. It lets you boost virtually every feature in the game, some features that are difficult to boost otherwise. Its a steady progress and not a quantum leap, like every other feature.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Ineptitude posted:

He has said he would add the Cooking feature,

Last I heard he still wasn't sure what the next feature(s) were going to be, but this particular comment was probably a joke :v:

Ineptitude posted:

but all the posts lately has been for his new game so im not sure if there is any ongoing development to NGU.
Would be nice if the game was finished and some of its bigger issues were tidied up before abandoning the game.

NGU isn't abandoned yet, he's just been trying to get NGU-i into a good enough state to push out the door on steam since Kong is exploding now, though I don't think there's an ETA on when focus will return to NGU. It is definitely making sadistic more of a slog to not have any features right now but hopefully it'll be fine when the game is done.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Omi no Kami posted:

Does NGU have any mechanics remaining after Cards? I just unlocked them, and seeing that it's more minimal-return drip-feed BS has completely sapped my interest in moving further, especially coming on the back of 2+ months of grinding incredibly small returns just to fight exile.

I mean NGU is an incremental game, it’s not gonna have any paradigm shifts with great leaps and none of the other features were like that aside from the very beginning of the game. I found that my greatest progress after cards was getting my hacks up to huge levels, which made other stuff all work better.

I’m looking at the exile v4 wall right now before sadistic and it is daunting, there are no more cheap adenture upgrades. It’s probably gonna be weeks before I advance anything but whatever its a game I spend like 10 min a day on nowadays.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ineptitude posted:

Prestige Tree is interesting. It certainly scratches the NUMBERS GO UP WEEEEEE itch.

Its entirely an active game though, the most i have had to idle so far was maybe 10 seconds?

Its a little rough around the edges still, hopefully the numbers will be tuned a bit. E.g. the grind to the 3rd super booster. You need to spam enhance points for like an hour, gradually getting a tinmy bit more each time and eventually being able to afford an upgrade. This type of spam click, with enhance points being the bottleneck, happens several times though the roughest one was for the 3rd super booster.

Also i quit playing when i bought the first quirk. That reset everything in the above layers and the benefit from getting that quirk did not outweigh losing everything imo. Yes on paper it is faster to get back there (quirks state they multiply everything by 80 million) but in reality it is not, you are not limited by production speed for most parts of the game but by how fast you can click upgrade buttons and swap around between the various nodes. And all the bottlenecks happen at the same spots.

I don't know how helpful you'll find it, but I didn't have quite as bad of a grind up to Superbooster 3. I think respeccing the Space buildings was a big help.

You can also press the corresponding keyboard key to gain whichever prestige level (e.g. press "p" to get prestige points or "b" to get boosters) or even hold them down to reset continuously. It may not save you from having to grab a little at a time on Enhance Points but it's at least marginally easier. Especially during that irritating T3 period where you're re-buying Booster/Generator upgrades repeatedly.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay thanks for the feedback, that's enough for me to drop it without feeling like I missed out... it's a pretty neat game all in all, but man I wish the balance had been just a bit more even in the back half- progression felt decently well-tuned all the way through normal, but at least personally I found that the increasingly brutal grinds once I hit evil just progressively let more air out of the tires every time I hit a long wall.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Having trouble in Prestige Tree with the first Hindrance Spirit, "Boosters and Generator Power do nothing, Goal: 1.000e2,400 Points". Is it just the length grind it seems to be or is there a trick to it?I just don't see how you can get to the e120 points needed for T3 stuff when T2 does virtually nothing for you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

KazigluBey posted:

Having trouble in Prestige Tree with the first Hindrance Spirit, "Boosters and Generator Power do nothing, Goal: 1.000e2,400 Points". Is it just the length grind it seems to be or is there a trick to it?I just don't see how you can get to the e120 points needed for T3 stuff when T2 does virtually nothing for you.

Starting the challenge doesn't reset anything on the challenge tier. Build it up a bit and you'll have plenty to work with.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Buy more T3 upgrades and things before doing the hindrance. That's kinda the strategy for all of them, get enough stuff to jump to e200 away from the goal immediately and then let it sit.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Ignoranus posted:

You can also press the corresponding keyboard key to gain whichever prestige level (e.g. press "p" to get prestige points or "b" to get boosters) or even hold them down to reset continuously. It may not save you from having to grab a little at a time on Enhance Points but it's at least marginally easier. Especially during that irritating T3 period where you're re-buying Booster/Generator upgrades repeatedly.

whaaaaaaaaaat.

Thanks for this, that saves me a loving shitload of effort, I've been manually clicking everything to switch and using an autohotkey button to turboclick to spend.

And it was there the whole time.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Wait, do you mean after I have the 2 Hindrance Spirit bonus that doesn't reset T3? Because you gain access to Hindrance 1 at, well, 1 Hindrance Spirit and your T3 resets. Don't do Hindrance 1 until you hit Hindrance Spirit 2, is what I'm hearing here.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Do Hindrance2, then Quirk 15, then hindrance 15, quirk 25, hindrance 25. Now it is just a matter of waiting each "reset" until you can afford either a hindrance or a quirk as everything is automated.
The e2400 challenge was doable with about 100 of each H/Q

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Here's my mini-guide on the Prestige Tree's Hindrance challenges:

Challenge 1 (Skip the Second): Get the 25 milestone H and Q bonuses, buy the first two Q upgrades. Turn on autobuyers, start the challenge and wait ~30 min.

Challenge 2 (Anti-Upgrades): Immediately doable in a minute or two after doing Challenge 1.

Challenge 3 (Prestigeless): Doable in a minute or two with Q layer 4 and Q upgrades 3 and 4.

Challenge 4 (Impaired Nodes): Finish Prestigeless and get Q upgrade 5. Alternate farming H and Q until you have the 2500 milestones for each. Rebalance S buildings if necessary and then farm more Q until you can buy upgrade 6. At this point, Impaired nodes will take only a couple minutes.

Challenge 5 (Flattened Curve): H and Q gains start exploding here. Keep alternating between the two and buying generator buildings. With Q layer 5, and Q upgrades 7 and 8, and about 5 million in H and Q, Flattened Curve takes only a couple minutes.

Challenge 6 (Surprise Junction): Keep buying both (including S buildings every once and a while). Get Q upgrade 9, Q layer 6, and about 2e10 of each. Took me about 7 minutes to complete.

Challenge 7 (Skip The Third): I got the 2e10, 5e10, and 1e11 Q upgrades, and then farmed about 1e13 H and Q, and the challenge was over in under a minute.

Challenge 8 (Slowed to a Halt): I was able to do this after getting the 2e13, 2e14, and 1e16 Q upgrades. It involved mashing E a few times, don't ask me to explain why.

With the 4e16 Q upgrade and layer 7, you're off to subspace and/or hyperboosters.

Challenge 9 (It's All Gone): Get the new SB upgrades, layer 8, 3 HB, 4 SS, all the associated HB and SS upgrades, the new 1250 booster upgrade, and ~1e70 Q. After that, takes less than a minute to complete.

Challenge 10 (Anti-Enhancers): Immediately completable after challenge 9, just turn off auto-buying extra time capsules, time capsules, and space energy.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 9, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Unponderable posted:

Here's my mini-guide on the Prestige Tree's Hindrance challenges:

Challenge 1 (Skip the Second): Get the 25 milestone H and Q bonuses, buy the first two Q upgrades. Turn on autobuyers, start the challenge and wait ~30 min.

Assuming that this isn't massive overkill it does answer the doubt I had when I posted my question: I was trying the challenge way, WAY too early. Even with H milestone 2 it crashes to a halt eventually, so yeah, going to put these off for a while then.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've been having fun with quepland 2, I don't know how much content there actually is in the game yet but I love the combination of traditional RPG sort of mechanics and idle games.

It's really fun to explore for some reason.

It is a so-called active idler though, which means you aren't going to be setting it up for overnight runs, just treat it like a chill paced browser RPG =P

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Falcon2001 posted:

https://jacorb90.github.io/Prestige-Tree/index.html If y'all ain't playing this (and I know people are talking about it here) you're missing out on pure unadulterated straight-to-the-veins incremental gameplay.

I blew through most of what was available in about 24 hours, I think - maybe a day and a half, but boy this was fun.

Too much clicking, It's sorta interesting, but like it's even more brainless than synergism is and without the extra automation. Just click the buttons that light up and numbers go up!!!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Fellis posted:

Too much clicking, It's sorta interesting, but like it's even more brainless than synergism is and without the extra automation. Just click the buttons that light up and numbers go up!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Guess we found the next thread title.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

John Lee posted:

Yeah, I figured the ITOPOD was why I get more experience when offline. I'm idling in the Base, trying to max the Magitek set, after which I was going to stop aiming for set completion until I get the fancy Diggers I hear tell of. And I'm trying to get Yggdrasil up and running - the auto-grow upgrades for the fruit are relatively cheap, but I have to have a three million max Magic before I can auto-grow Pomegranates, which'll be 36k Experience, which is still an astonishing sum for me - I can get a few thousand a day, and ideally I'd be spending experience on magic power and bars as well. I suppose it wouldn't be TOO bad to get the 300,000 you need to grow Poms at all... but it'd still be a few days. I'll aim for that, and hope Yggdrasil is a solution all all my problems. There's an experience fruit! (that the ITOPOD perks inform me sucks)

I think it is possible to get a few challenges done at that stage of the game. Still, it's better to avoid resetting since aside from a Numbers boost, killing more bosses isn't exactly helpful if you don't have the adventure stats to back that up. It's better to let Advanced Training carry you a bit if you let it accumulate over the course of a few days. After you kill the next titan, consider doing long rebirths and popping those Energy/Magic Potions Beta because they're cheap and basically double your gains.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fellis posted:

I know everyone has different cutoff points for what they find too simplistic, but let's be fair: That's every single idle game. In fact, that's the point of idle games.

Unponderable posted:

Challenge 8 (Slowed to a Halt): I was able to do this after getting the 2e13, 2e14, and 1e16 Q upgrades. It involved mashing E a few times, don't ask me to explain why.
No need to mash anything, as soon as time slows down to a complete halt, pressing E lets you prestige your eternity, which resets the timeslowing. This isn't explained in the challenge.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 9, 2020

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I know everyone has different cutoff points for what they find too simplistic, but let's be fair: That's every single idle game. In fact, that's the point of idle games.

Prestige Tree is literally nothing but mashing though, there is no idle aspect here.
Its satisfying to get the numbers to go up but this game isn't really really one you'd play for months/years like NGU

GrossMurpel posted:

No need to mash anything, as soon as time slows down to a complete halt, pressing E lets you prestige your eternity, which resets the timeslowing. This isn't explained in the challenge.

That's not my experience. Hitting E does not reset the time countdown, after 10 seconds time simply stops. I got through this challenge by mashing E at random times and eventually lucking upon the combination that let me get e16500 (i got e19000 even)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Blattdorf posted:

I think it is possible to get a few challenges done at that stage of the game. Still, it's better to avoid resetting since aside from a Numbers boost, killing more bosses isn't exactly helpful if you don't have the adventure stats to back that up. It's better to let Advanced Training carry you a bit if you let it accumulate over the course of a few days. After you kill the next titan, consider doing long rebirths and popping those Energy/Magic Potions Beta because they're cheap and basically double your gains.

I'm towards the latter half of evil and haven't bothered with any potions yet.

Am I missing significant gains? I'm still saving up AP for what feels like more useful features like the extra accessory slots and such.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Prestige Tree is literally nothing but mashing though, there is no idle aspect here.
Its satisfying to get the numbers to go up but this game isn't really really one you'd play for months/years like NGU

Who said it was a game with that much content? Paperclips also had content for about a day, that doesn't make it not an idle game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I can safely yeet the ring of apathy when I'm sufficiently leveled that I'm dealing with Walderp and such, right?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah you just need it maxxed out to be able to autokill him. if you ever need to go fight him manually again for some reason you'll need to get a new ring, but it'll be a hell of a lot faster to achieve because your drop chance will have increased by then

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

There is nothing more to do in Prestige Tree currently once you get the 16 Magic/Balance Energy Upgrades, right?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Klungar posted:

There is nothing more to do in Prestige Tree currently once you get the 16 Magic/Balance Energy Upgrades, right?

There is an entire prestige layer but you blow through that in 2 minutes. If you press the information button on the top left and then "changelog", that tells you how far you're supposed to go before you run out of content.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

There is an entire prestige layer but you blow through that in 2 minutes. If you press the information button on the top left and then "changelog", that tells you how far you're supposed to go before you run out of content.

Ah, an update got released, had to refresh. Thanks!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Klungar posted:

Ah, an update got released, had to refresh. Thanks!

The madlad running it updates multiple times a day.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Below the magic/something layer there is a layer requiring e8,5e6 prestige.

You also unlock another node on layer 3 while grinding magic/something

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stop when you get the 8th super prestige upgrade. Something breaks shortly after and now I have eeeeeeeeeeee2000 of everything

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Stop when you get the 8th super prestige upgrade. Something breaks shortly after and now I have eeeeeeeeeeee2000 of everything

Sounds like you're prepared for future updates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, that got out of hand quickly. I'm at 1.000e(e^30)10000 and gaining another exponent on the e with every button click.