Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Honestly I'd play Factorio mod-free for your first playthrough--the above ones don't change anything about the gameplay.

I disagree. Start out vanilla and when you find poo poo that adds friction in a way you don't like, mod it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I just launched my first rocket in my first play-through and I did it without mods and without really looking at guides besides places where I was stuck (like asking here about trains and signals) and I just tweaked the settings (no biters so I wouldn't have to deal with that annoyance and maybe added some more resources)

Will probably try and enable biters in my next game.

Next game I think I'll try and focus on trying to understand the bottlenecks in production and figuring out how to optimize the flow of those bottles for the lab.

Whenever I needed something I would just throw down a row of assemblies and pass whatever they produce on a belt for the next assemblies. From the discussion in the last pages about copper wire it seems I should consider just doing direct feed-in to the next step in some cases?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s common to mass‐belt things that are used by many recipes, in large quantity, and which are more compact than their ingredients.

Lots of things use a lot of copper wire, but it’s less compact than the copper plates it’s made from so it’s generally better to just belt those around, and it simplifies things to move one less type of item. Iron sticks have the same problem of taking up more belt bandwidth than their input, and they’re not even used in that many recipes.

Gears take up half as much space as the iron plates it’s made from, so gears are sometimes belted, but some people don’t because they value the simplicity of few moving materials more.

Even people who don’t gelt gears generally do belt electronic circuits, which are used in greater quantity, have a higher ratio of compaction, and are more of a pain to make on site (because of the wire intermediary).

Sulphur and plastic get belted because it obviates the need to petroleum gas long distances. They’re the two things that need petroleum gas and moving fluids can be a pain, so we can just belt those products instead.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Also realized way too late that I probably shouldn't just run everything on 1 single belt all through the factory as it never reaches the last assemblies.

Feels like I should have realized that sooner...

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

refleks posted:

Also realized way too late that I probably shouldn't just run everything on 1 single belt all through the factory as it never reaches the last assemblies.

Feels like I should have realized that sooner...

No it's better not to realize optimal strategies too early

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I know. That's why I specifically avoided all guides online...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Playing without squeak through encourages you to spread your base out and not fall into the trap of building super compact in a game where space is practically unlimited.

Unless you're surrounded by giant biter nests that are already spawning mediums and spitters by the time you have red ammo :(

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm having biters attacking me and I don't have anything to deal with them besides my pistol, is that normal, or did I get a lovely start?

I ended up just loading a new world, this one was too hard.

That is a relatively difficult looking spawn. As the other guy said, desert starts are a lot harder in terms of early bugs because no trees means pollution spreads much more quickly. On a desert start I think turrets need to be in your first three techs, on that map probably #1. You can take out bases by building a bunch of turrets and ammo (ammo production should be one of the very first things you automate) and then walking turrets into the base so they can kill it. Burner miners produce horrendous amounts of pollution, so moving to electric mining asap is a big deal. You can view your pollution cloud in the map screen. When pollution reaches biter nests, they absorb it, and spawn LOTS of biters to come attack you. You can also see this happening in the production statistics screen. It's not something that is survivable for very long early on, you have to go out and kill them.

Nthing to play without any mods your first playthrough. Factorio is one of the best-designed games of all time and it happens to have mod support. It's not a Bethesda game where it's a disastrous fuckfest without mods.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GotLag posted:

Lua is not the first language to be 1-indexed. Being precious about indices is absurd when you're only going to be accessing values via keys or through iteration structures anyway.

You have Stockholm syndrome for a lazy compiler optimisation.
Starting at 0 has won, because 1 being an offset is too powerful of a concept for abstract thought even with computers and pointers removed. Even mathematics & physics frequently start series at 0 now, and to some extent this movement started at least 120 years ago (arguably 300+ given Euler was all about starting at 0). Before C or computers. 1 starts are always someone's attempt to be "accessible" but the question is always: accessible to who? You gain nothing and add complexity by starting at 1 instead of 0.

I'm fine with LUA and don't care that its indices start at 1. My biggest complaint against it in 2020 is most people don't know it so you're usually better off with no scripting language and just writing code in the program's language. If you really need to expose something in a domain specific way use a domain specific language. Or, if you're just defining things in data, define data and don't allow scripting in it. Hiding logic in scripts is a ticking time bomb and the awful mid-late '00s engines that were all about tons of LUA are dying out for good reason.

For a public modding API LUA makes sense because it's tightly controlled, lightweight, and trivial to implement.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 8, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm having biters attacking me and I don't have anything to deal with them besides my pistol, is that normal, or did I get a lovely start?

Biters are hard to deal with early on when you're getting used to the game. You have a couple of options:
- Beeline turret research and build them early. A couple of turrets dotted about your base defend really well against non-big biters. Walled turret clusters with standard ammo should be your standard defense for a long time; try to resist the urge to spend a bunch of effort to wall your entire base until you're at the point where doing so is both easy and cheap.
- Favor forest and grassland starts. Vegetation absorbs pollution, and your pollution cloud reaching biter nests is what triggers attacks.
- Increase the starting area slider in worldgen. The starting area is basically a zone free of biter nests and resources other than your starting set, so making it bigger means the biters leave you alone for longer. You'll also have to range further out to get new resources, but this is generally not a big problem.
- Decrease overall biter density with the enemy bases sliders. This tends to impact the mid and late game much more than the start, though.
- Turn off pollution. This means you only trigger biter attacks through proximity or encountering a biter expansion party (if expansion is on). It significantly changes how the game plays.
- Turn on peaceful mode so biters will only attack you if you attack them. This also significantly changes how the game plays.

People tend to have very different preferences on how much they enjoy the base defense part of the game and how they want biters to work. My suggestion for your first game would be to increase your starting area to 200% so you have time to get to grips with the mechanics, and to turn enemy expansion off to ensure you don't get overwhelmed while figuring poo poo out. I'd avoid the more fully peaceful settings first time through, since they kinda distort the game. Better to decide later. Likewise, don't turn resources way up for your first game since it tends to mean you stay in your start area forever and that's very boring.

You can actually change most of the enemy worldgen settings like if biter expansion is on or off while a game in progress, but doing so disables achievements. You'll get a feel for what sort of game you like as you play. If you like the game then next time you make a map you'll have Opinions like "cliffs suck!", "more murder!" and "make trains great!" and you can tweak the settings appropriately.

FWIW, I personally play with expansion off and enemy base frequency down since I like biters as an exploration obstacle more than I like them as a base defense instigator. Your mileage will vary.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Khorne posted:

Starting at 0 has won, because 1 being an offset is too powerful of a concept for abstract thought even with computers and pointers removed. Even mathematics & physics frequently start series at 0 now, and to some extent this movement started at least 120 years ago (arguably 300+ given Euler was all about starting at 0). Before C or computers. 1 starts are always someone's attempt to be "accessible" but the question is always: accessible to who? You gain nothing and add complexity by starting at 1 instead of 0.
Famous computing pioneer Leonhard Euler.
No, it's more prevalent because it was an early convention and programmers are nothing if not lazy (well, that and also incapable of distinguishing clever from smart).

Khorne posted:

I'm fine with LUA and don't care that its indices start at 1.
I'd be worried if you weren't. Someone who can remember the Lua's syntax and that tables can also function with key-value pairs but can't also remember "oh yeah this language starts counting at 1 like a normal person would instead of pretending it's C" just isn't cut out for coding

Khorne posted:

My biggest complaint against it in 2020 is most people don't know it so you're usually better off with no scripting language and just writing code in the program's language. If you really need to expose something in a domain specific way use a domain specific language. Or, if you're just defining things in data, define data and don't allow scripting in it. Hiding logic in scripts is a ticking time bomb and the awful mid-late '00s engines that were all about tons of LUA are dying out for good reason.

For a public modding API LUA makes sense because it's tightly controlled, lightweight, and trivial to implement.
Lua is way the gently caress easier to learn than, say, C#. It also doesn't involve also having to learn how to set up a compiler and programming environment. It can, at a pinch, be done in any plain text editor (I do my Factorio modding work in Notepad++ for the folding, line numbering and syntax highlighting).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

0 or 1, who cares. As long as it's not JS where it uses the literal string "0".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

KillHour posted:

0 or 1, who cares. As long as it's not JS where it uses the literal string "0".

One of the most used javascript libraries in the world is called "iseven" which determines if a number is even.

Nothing about javascript programming is to be respected

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
My favourite thing about JS was leftpad, and all the comments and articles posted in defense of the useless fuckwits whose projects failed because they had outsourced padding a string to someone else

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ikanreed posted:

One of the most used javascript libraries in the world is called "iseven" which determines if a number is even.

not to be confused with iSeven, which tells you if a number is seven

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
To be fair, I don't think I could write an efficient version of leftpad without a liiiiitle bit of extra planning.

Unless javascript has stringbuffers and I don't know it.

Allocating a hundred strings just to pad one value in a table of thousands of items would be reaching "slows your browser down" territory. Especially if it did live updates

But iseven in a 3 data type language that has modulo? Insanity

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

not far behind is "isodd" which uses "iseven" as a dependency and negates the result lmao

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ikanreed posted:

To be fair, I don't think I could write an efficient version of leftpad without a liiiiitle bit of extra planning.

Unless javascript has stringbuffers and I don't know it.

Allocating a hundred strings just to pad one value in a table of thousands of items would be reaching "slows your browser down" territory. Especially if it did live updates

But iseven in a 3 data type language that has modulo? Insanity

It's better and worse than you think.

https://github.com/left-pad/left-pad#readme

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

GotLag posted:

It's better and worse than you think.

https://github.com/left-pad/left-pad#readme

The source file is magic.

https://github.com/left-pad/left-pad/blob/master/index.js

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
That's pretty much the algorithm I invented in my head. But still more complicated than literally ONE ATOMIC loving OPERATION.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Boba Pearl posted:

I ended up just loading a new world, this one was too hard.

One of the biggest things to pay attention to in the early game is that burner miners put out a whole heck of a lot of pollution, and while it is tempting to scale up quickly in the burner phase because the miners are cheap, be very careful of doing so on a desert start because of how little buffer you have before the pollution cloud reaches the biters.

Once you've got turrets, you can start expanding much more aggressively, but while you've still just got a pistol and can't clear bases effectively, then it's worth paying attention to the cloud much more carefully and limit mining operations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That moment when the map is still "Biter Hell" but the meaning of the phrase is flipped on its head is one of the best things in the game.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

KillHour posted:

That moment when the map is still "Biter Hell" but the meaning of the phrase is flipped on its head is one of the best things in the game.

now you gotta put belts down to gather all the alien orbs and farm the crap out of the biters, its what my current base is doing!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Balsa posted:

now you gotta put belts down to gather all the alien orbs and farm the crap out of the biters, its what my current base is doing!

The hell old version are you on? Or is that still a thing in Bob's?

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
Alien Orbs are a thing in Bobs. Aliens when killed drop colored orbs that are used for advanced research

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I haven't played Bob's since like .16 so I figured they got rid of it when the base game did. Then again, Bob's is basically kitchen sink factorio so I guess it makes sense.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I just can't crack Deathworld. I have one save where I've researched turrets I can't get enough enough ammo to fight off the hordes. Usually I get stomped before getting turrets researched. It's not like I'm loving around... Six iron miners/smelters, one copper miner/smelter, one stone miner into a box, and four coal miners in a self feeding loop. Beeline for power, lab + 10 science. Somewhere around there get stomped into the ground.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Increase your starting area size. No sense butting your head against a wall.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Someone recommended Tiny Start, and honestly, Idk how you play this game without tiny machines that do your building / tree cutting for you. That really should be base

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I used Tiny Start until I discovered construction drones.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Construction_Drones

They feel a little less cheaty to me because they have a few limitations compared to flying bots.

Look at em go

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AccomplishedGreatCarp-mobile.mp4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

promising carl posted:

I used Tiny Start until I discovered construction drones.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Construction_Drones

They feel a little less cheaty to me because they have a few limitations compared to flying bots.

Construction drones are awesome, but they are a bit "cheatier" than tinystart because of their huge range and complete lack of power requirements.
I still use them anyway and don't use tinystart because of that very thing... When I eventually have real construction robots I have to have big power armor and fusion plants so they aren't continuously running out of juice. Also all the speed upgrades!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Construction Drones are the worst of both worlds, cheaty by the numbers but with infuriating quirks that real construction robots don’t suffer from.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Platystemon posted:

Construction Drones are the worst of both worlds, cheaty by the numbers but with infuriating quirks that real construction robots don’t suffer from.

And if you are doing multiplayer, they will take and put into other people's backpack. its funny as poo poo when you resource bomb someone :)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Increase your starting area size. No sense butting your head against a wall.

yea the higher difficulty game modes and some mods can give you unwinnable starts. no shame in doing something that guarantees you get to actually play the game

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

little munchkin posted:

yea the higher difficulty game modes and some mods can give you unwinnable starts. no shame in doing something that guarantees you get to actually play the game

I still have nightmares about the last bob/angles run I tried to do

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Construction Drones are my favorite mod, TBH. I don't mind the early burner phase as much as I hate the part where I have to place every single object by hand. It's tedious to build anything you need multiples of, like smelters, one object at a time.

Place furnace. Place inserter to put in resource. Place inserter to put in coal. Place inserter to pull out resource. Put belts down to reach the inserters x3. Put up power poles. It's like 8 clicks per stone or steel furnace, and you need a couple dozen of them before you get to bots.

You can reduce that by a couple clicks if you put ore and coal on the same belt, but still. It sucks after the first few times you do it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The real trick is that what's fun the first time you play factorio and what's fun on future runs are very different.

Factorio's start is almost perfectly balanced to incentivize figuring out automation at a small scale if you're still learning to play. It's extremely tedious if you know in advance how much you're going to need to scale up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ikanreed posted:

The real trick is that what's fun the first time you play factorio and what's fun on future runs are very different.

Factorio's start is almost perfectly balanced to incentivize figuring out automation at a small scale if you're still learning to play. It's extremely tedious if you know in advance how much you're going to need to scale up.

Agreed!

I wish there was a built-in Advanced Start where you start at the Bots phase, though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Construction Drones are my favorite mod, TBH. I don't mind the early burner phase as much as I hate the part where I have to place every single object by hand. It's tedious to build anything you need multiples of, like smelters, one object at a time.

Place furnace. Place inserter to put in resource. Place inserter to put in coal. Place inserter to pull out resource. Put belts down to reach the inserters x3. Put up power poles. It's like 8 clicks per stone or steel furnace, and you need a couple dozen of them before you get to bots.

You can reduce that by a couple clicks if you put ore and coal on the same belt, but still. It sucks after the first few times you do it.

Yeah this is how I started to use them. Kinda midway through setting up smelting columns and starting my belt is when the bots came out. There's otherwise far too much clicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mod request (that may or may not exist):

Sometimes, it's hard to tell the difference between ghosts and real objects. A mod that colors ghosts to make them more visible would be amazing. Bonus points if they were colored differently if the logistic network can satisfy the request to build them or not.