Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i like 5-4 a lot. the law boy is a very funny man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Breakfast All Day posted:

also 5000 tweets about hegel that distill that few month period when youre 20 years old and just read him and think its the most important thing ever written and only you have the secret key to understanding the world, except apparently you're in grad school and do a whole podcast about it

ahem *clears throat*

hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel hegel

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

zegermans posted:

5-4 is currently the best left wing podcast that doesn't spend every other episode doing 8th grade english analysis of Verhoeven movies because they don't want to admit they thought the dick-shooting scene was just gnarly and awesome

we can choose to compare notes about the scope and intent of Aronofsky's Robocop if you wish

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

economics, 4/5 economists agree "it's a real thing!"
https://twitter.com/MaxSeijo/status/1300650412454813697

i follow some leftist theory people on twitter and due to that, right now, the term I've come to groan most at is reification or reified

agreeing with a zegermans post

movie episodes suck because theyre just cheap nostalgia pumps without any more analysis than youtube schlock like rlm. felix' spinoff had initial promise because it was newly airing shows and looking at their relationship to changing psychological and media archetypes of families and men in particular, but after an episode or two it just turned into plot synopses parasocial viewing with guests like every other tinned cast

i dunno, the EWS ep with mullen was an alltimer
at least Matt has couched on a agreeable ethos, no cgi gibs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
reified beans

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
my balls are reified cause one hangs lower than the other and that's dialectical

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
reify the liminal space between your face and deez nuts.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I know the chapos are pretty successful in their own right, but what if we goons got together to make our own political/pop culture/whatever the gently caress we want podcast. I'll make the website.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

I know the chapos are pretty successful in their own right, but what if we goons got together to make our own political/pop culture/whatever the gently caress we want podcast. I'll make the website.

Ok. You make the website, I'll control the patreon.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

*dong* what do a zionist, an antisemite, a toxic masculinist, and a kurdish freedom fighter have in common? they're all our first guest. "brace" yourselves. im che ryssdal and this. is. marxistplace *doo do doo do do do, doo do doo do do do*

lol a good post

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
che ryssdal is a real good poster name.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

any recommended 5-4 episodes? all-timers?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

THS posted:

any recommended 5-4 episodes? all-timers?

They're all pretty solid honestly, none really stick out. The boy scouts one went a bit overboard on the gay jokes

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Maybe their Shelby County episode

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Podcast where I read aloud D&D posts in a whiny nerd voice and occasionally take a hit of weed, my voice becoming harder to understand the worse the posts get

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

https://twitter.com/Superstruc/status/1300865677838950408

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

does modern monetary theory even work if a country isn't in control of the world reserve currency

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Atrocious Joe posted:

does modern monetary theory even work

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Not really, lol. Breunig has a good takedown of it on one of his podcast episodes. I dont recall which one. IIRC he claims MMT is just obfuscating fiscal policy by making the math work with monetary policy.

Edit) Rather MMT just lets you conceptualize complicated ways to use monetary levers to achieve the same thing you could with simple fiscal transfers.

Yadoppsi has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Sep 8, 2020

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Atrocious Joe posted:

does modern monetary theory even work if a country isn't in control of the world reserve currency

the deficit financing part works fine as long as you can find someone to buy the bonds. i'm sure the ECB would be able to do this if germany weren't terrified of deficits for reasons that make no sense.

the bigger issue is that it's proponents only talk about how it allows you to eschew financing politics by just running huge deficits. that's great as long as there's no inflation. but what if there is? well, should that happen they say all you need to do if take some of the money out of the supply. how do you do this? easy! just raise taxes. shouldn't be a problem, right?

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
yes. the line that it's only relevant to a world reserve currency is bullshit trying to get you to refocus on the speaker's preferred niche economic or political theory (because all theory is zero sum and only one thing can ever be Correct). if you're a state and wield a monopoly on the use of force within your borders you can buy anything for sale in your own currency.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Violence is the only true currency, weed the only commodity - Carl Marks

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

T-man posted:

Violence is the only true currency, weed the only commodity - Carl Marks

see you act like you don't get it but you do

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MMT is good for shutting out dishonest interlocutors asking "who's going to pay for it?" I don't think its consequences extend beyond that.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Joementum posted:

the bigger issue is that it's proponents only talk about how it allows you to eschew financing politics by just running huge deficits. that's great as long as there's no inflation. but what if there is? well, should that happen they say all you need to do if take some of the money out of the supply. how do you do this? easy! just raise taxes. shouldn't be a problem, right?

see your example here is of a state that required huge ultra-inflationary deficits to function but explodes into armed revolt at the mention of taxes. that's not a problem with your financial theory, that's a problem with your state.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I mostly look at MMT and other heterodox bourgeois political theories and wonder if it can help developing or besieged countries. Venezuela and Iran literally can't buy stuff on the international market in their currency because the US made it illegal for example.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

i follow some leftist theory people on twitter and due to that, right now, the term I've come to groan most at is reification or reified

the irony is someone whos entire identity as being a "left mmtheorist" using the term given the whole idea of left-mmt is reification -- treating inequality and exploitation as consequences of the abstract natural entity of economics that we simply have not yet invented sufficiently complex and ingenious monetary machinery to claw our way out of, as opposed to something that is the consequence of ongoing choices and actions of the very class of people who invent mmt to further obfuscate the presence and obviousness of alternatives, and that we have the capability as a species to end it at any moment without them or their synthetic knowledge. in other words mmt buys into the false presumptions of capitalism so is only useful as a rhetorical tool in limited contexts where you cannot challenge capital

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

the irony is someone whos entire identity as being a "left mmtheorist" using the term given the whole idea of left-mmt is reification -- treating inequality and exploitation as consequences of the abstract natural entity of economics that we simply have not yet invented sufficiently complex and ingenious monetary machinery to claw our way out of, as opposed to something that is the consequence of ongoing choices and actions of the very class of people who invent mmt to further obfuscate the presence and obviousness of alternatives, and that we have the capability as a species to end it at any moment without them or their synthetic knowledge. in other words mmt buys into the false presumptions of capitalism so is only useful as a rhetorical tool in limited contexts where you cannot challenge capital

I think this is just another of those "invented someone in my head and now I'm getting mad at them" situations. I have no idea what any of this is meant to do with mmt. I think you're just mad at some people on twitter.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i gave that superstructure podcast 20 minutes to wow me and there isn't really much to say. ultimately it's just these painfully over educated geeks chasing clout. there isn't really much else there.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

gh0stpinballa posted:

i gave that superstructure podcast 20 minutes to wow me and there isn't really much to say. ultimately it's just these painfully over educated geeks chasing clout. there isn't really much else there.

Yeah but gsfteotw only has one geek tho?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1303380106732335107

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

T-man posted:

Yeah but gsfteotw only has one geek tho?

this is true, but i hope i'm not chasing clout, i just needed somewhere to rant about the mafia so i didn't drive the mrs insane. i have an email for listeners and that's it, no twitter beefs for me lets keep it underground baby!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

feeling sorry for the journalists who are going to have to listen to this just to see if he accidentally confesses to any crimes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

this is true, but i hope i'm not chasing clout, i just needed somewhere to rant about the mafia so i didn't drive the mrs insane. i have an email for listeners and that's it, no twitter beefs for me lets keep it underground baby!

start calling each new episode a communique to get that real underground aesthetic

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

gently caress this!! Where is the GOD drat Hillary podcast????

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bill Clinton is going to be the first affiliate on Nick Mullen's new Cum Podcast Network

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Atrocious Joe posted:

start calling each new episode a communique to get that real underground aesthetic

A critique of <thing> in the Marxist tradition, a communique from the Czar of Undead Pinball Party.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Doc Hawkins posted:

MMT is good for shutting out dishonest interlocutors asking "who's going to pay for it?" I don't think its consequences extend beyond that.

yeah this. the "T" part of MMT is a misnomer, it's not an theory and it's not an economic system (it's really just keynesian capitalism but "modern" slapped onto it), however, it is more of a description about how money flows under capitalism and is more intended to convert the NPR brainwashed over-academic libs going ~HoW WiLL wE PaY FoR IT???? :downs:~ again it's not an economic system really, its still working in essentially a lovely neoliberal framework and misunderstands and neglects labor-value of money, but it then slides into untangling and killing off indoctrinated liberal brainworms into a more M-L system

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Xaris posted:

yeah this. the "T" part of MMT is a misnomer, it's not an theory and it's not an economic system (it's really just keynesian capitalism but "modern" slapped onto it), however, it is more of a description about how money flows under capitalism and is more intended to convert the NPR brainwashed over-academic libs going ~HoW WiLL wE PaY FoR IT???? :downs:~ again it's not an economic system really, its still working in essentially a lovely neoliberal framework and misunderstands and neglects labor-value of money, but it then slides into untangling and killing off indoctrinated liberal brainworms into a more M-L system

Right, and I do know the sorts of Yglesias-esque liberals who think themselves a progressive and who might find MMT revelatory, a defining goal for their hollow political project, since it dissolves the only contradiction their brains loosely grasp: proper management of our current system requires both government profligacy for the ruling class and crushing austerity for the working class, though they see it as "the stuff that just makes sense to do" that "has to be done efficiently" with a "balanced budget."

MMT cuts off that last part with a knife, and lets you simply say "anyone who trying to balance the budget is trying to build a gravestone on our future, and gosh there sure are a lot of them in both parties aren't there."

And then some of them will reveal that they lack the empathy to see the problem, and you can try to help them or move on as you prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

Duterte keeps increasing the defense budget year on year and never has to answer how we're gonna pay for it so idk yes I think?