Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you murder plot against a sibling, do you still get the stress penalty when they die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Switch characters to the secondary heir?

It's Ironman, I don't think I can.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

If I fabricate a claim and my current ruler dies in the middle of the war, has the claim been pressed yet such that my kid inherits it? I’d think not - and it’s not listed as a claim on my heir’s character sheet - but the war screen still says I’d take the territory if I enforced my demands.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hargrimm posted:

If you murder plot against a sibling, do you still get the stress penalty when they die?

Well I didn't get stress when my son died in my prison because he'd kept murdering my courtiers.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I managed my tribal succession well, but I do have the unwelcome issue of everyone hating my new ruler. I'm not sure what the hell I could have done about that either. Since he's like 40, I don't exactly have time to fix everything either. This feels more like an unsatisfying gameplay loop rather a fun roleplay situation.

I think I'm going to have to force a war with an unruly vassal because he has too much sway in my main kingdom, meaning my heir is some half-brother, while my other two kingdoms go to my preferred son. Too bad my last ruler who could actually pull of assassinations died 3 seconds before the scheme completed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I keep murdering dynasty heads, and the title just jumps to random schmucks in the middle of the empire. How on earth is this thing supposed to be calculated?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Someone earlier in the thread suggested this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2218178473
(Ironman & achievement compatible.)

It's really nice because they've been constantly adding new songs to it, and it's up to 36 songs right now.
Was pretty surprised when the Doom music started kicking in. CK3 came out at a good time considering the popularity of psuedo-medieval style covers and remixes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4GmjvjB2Rw

Really hope there are hooks so that mod music can start kicking in when specific events start happening, because it seems like right now they're just added to the 'ambient, nothing particularly noteworthy is happening right now' playlist.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
last i check it wasn't on the paradox list so the sad folks like me who got it off game pass can't enjoy that mod sob sob

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gonna try and start my new Egyptian Pagan game during my 15 minutes break. Loading will probably eat most of it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

last i check it wasn't on the paradox list so the sad folks like me who got it off game pass can't enjoy that mod sob sob

https://steamworkshopdownloader.io/
Steam workshop downloader seems to work just fine, then just slam dunk it into the mod location as per the usual.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Succession saved! I don't know what happened, but everyone suddenly stopped wanting the 54-year old King of Norway to get all my titles when I die and flipped to my son and preferred heir instead. Some well-placed bribes managed to flip Britannia as well, so it looks like I can finally die in peace and at least have my Intelligent son (with an Intelligent wife, gearing up to maybe have a few Genius children down the line) take over.

edit: lol never mind, they flipped back just a month before I died.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 8, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SubNat posted:

https://steamworkshopdownloader.io/
Steam workshop downloader seems to work just fine, then just slam dunk it into the mod location as per the usual.

oh neat, thanks didn't realize this was a thing

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I think my next game after wrapping up Alfred in 1453 will be the Hellenistic revival, from what was discussed earlier it sounds like a good game-long project

e: why do i have 1431 in my head? end game is 1453. Weird.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

I shall probably try destroying all my kingdom titles to see if I can at least end up with my capital county, but does anyone have any better ideas?

Ok I tried this. I got rid of every single kingdom, then I got rid of every single duchy, and nothing will let me keep my capital, or any Welsh counties at all for that matter. Sod that, it's start again time I guess.

This all happened because while busy on crusade I didn't pay enough attention to my liege's factions. I'm never swearing fealty to the HRE again, it's too much risk.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hellenistic revival is for all intents and purposes impossible without cheating. The cheapest piety cost you can get is still 30,000+. That's starting off with Taltosism, which has a lot of overlapping doctrines, and avoids as many as possible of the massive penalties for converting from reformed to unreformed, abrahamic to paganism, et cetera...still not practically achievable, that's like 40 piety a month for 60 years.

It's weird, too, because there's a few events and decisions that do check if you're Hellenic. (Also that check if you're Roman-cultured, which is odd, as there's presently no way I can see to get that. Maybe they're planning an expansion.)

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 8, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Hellenistic revival is for all intents and purposes impossible without cheating. The cheapest piety cost you can get is still 30,000+. That's starting off with Taltosism, which has a lot of overlapping doctrines, and avoids as many as possible of the massive penalties for converting from reformed to unreformed, abrahamic to paganism, et cetera...still not practically achievable, that's like 40 piety a month for 60 years.

It's weird, too, because there's a few events and decisions that do check if you're Hellenic. (Also that check if you're Roman-cultured, which is odd, as there's presently no way I can see to get that. Maybe they're planning an expansion.)

can''t you also stack a bunch of % reductions from skills and events? Or is that 30,000 calculated to include the optimal scenario

e: wait ARE there any? I could swear I saw some earlier but it was probably just "exists somewhere" and "wife religion" bonuses since i wasnt reviving a dead faith

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

If I had to pick one thing in the game that I'd like to see fixed then it would be the atrocious border gore, specifically with exclaves popping up all over the map. This is with the exclave settings at max level:

Africa is not the ideal place for Swedes!

My idea would be to force their independence but set them up as an autonomous tributary so you could still see little Viking colonies everywhere but you don't have to fight every Norseman in Scandinavia to reclaim Corsica. As it is now you'd have to either take the objective and wait for the war score to tick up (hoping they don't make any new allies in the meantime), or convoy your armies across the world to siege Stockholm/Novgorod/wherever and hope that you don't need them back home anytime soon. Sometimes you end up having to fight hordes upon hordes of Vikings for a single province since you can't always murder their alliance link, they could easily be out of diplomatic range.

I know IRL there was some intense border gore at times, a prime example would be Charles V, but it would be nice to keep the wars at a local level rather than having Hearts of Iron IV scenarios play out for single-county holdings.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Excelzior posted:

can''t you also stack a bunch of % reductions from skills and events? Or is that 30,000 calculated to include the optimal scenario

e: wait ARE there any? I could swear I saw some earlier but it was probably just "exists somewhere" and "wife religion" bonuses since i wasnt reviving a dead faith
That's counting them. At least the large, achievable ones, Apostate, and high-ish learning. You could knock a little more off if you manage to become Cynical, too. But the biggest cost reduction you mention obviously aren't achievable for a dead faith.

The cost calculations are pretty weird, frankly. Pretty high base cost, 4-6 thousand, and then they cheerfully throw in absolutely massive cost multipliers and reductions. So a lot of the time, it's either pegged at the minimum cost of 250, or up in the stratosphere. Apostate's 75% reduction looks pretty weak when there's a 500% increase for converting to an unreformed faith...

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 8, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Starting as the 17 year old 'fairhair' dude in Norway is great. You can just pillage everything, take a break to raid for cash to make titles, then pillage some more.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I honestly think there should more innovations that directly upgrade your levies. Like the late middle ages should be letting you pass out the halbreds and cheap armory half plate or whatever instead of still showing up with a rotted round shield and grandpa's long axe.
Fake edit: like I dunno maybe have an innovation that fires after the black death arrives or something

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 8, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Starting as the 17 year old 'fairhair' dude in Norway is great. You can just pillage everything, take a break to raid for cash to make titles, then pillage some more.

When you start out as him, divorce your wife and search for characters with "Norse" culture and filter by "Beautiful" trait. Makes the start even better.

But yeah, he's chill. Though a lot slower than the other Scandinavian viking bigwigs.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

abrosheen posted:

Three things that drive me nuts after many hours of play:

1) If you have your army selected while sieging, when the siege completes, your army is automatically deselected.
2) If you have your army selected, and try to right click to move them somewhere, but accidentally click something like a county flag, it right clicks that flag and doesn't move the army. Right clicking with an army selected should ignore flags and click the underlying county to move the army automatically.

Strongly seconding these two. And a couple of other improvements I'd like:

1) The sort order in the character and spouse finders should be sticky. At the moment every time you click on a character to examine them and then go back to the list, the sort order reverts to 'Relevance'.
2) Sum of skills should be near the top of the sort order list.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

That's counting them. At least the large, achievable ones, Apostate, and high-ish learning. You could knock a little more off if you manage to become Cynical, too. But the biggest cost reduction you mention obviously aren't achievable for a dead faith.

The cost calculations are pretty weird, frankly. Pretty high base cost, 4-6 thousand, and then they cheerfully throw in absolutely massive cost multipliers and reductions. So a lot of the time, it's either pegged at the minimum cost of 250, or up in the stratosphere. Apostate's 75% reduction looks pretty weak when there's a 500% increase for converting to an unreformed faith...

Huh. I hope there's plans to make it more reasonable in a DLC or something at least.

Kind of just a big tease atm

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was trying to figure out why all my vessels hate me, and it was because my current ruler was a legitimized bastard. I forgot that because my dynasty only had daughters, I had married all my last ones off to other rulers hoping to get claims from their marriage and realized I had no heirs.

But yea the enclaves are annoying because I keep discovering that I own territory when I see "you're being raided" and I don't see any armies until I realize I own a single province in what is now southern germany.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I do appreciate that the supply system allows for supply runs/drops.
Especially if you have a commander with one of the supply++ traits, since it averages out the supplies when you merge armies.

Though supplies only ever seem to be a big issue if you're doing a long, protracted stomping mission where you just immediately fling your armies on towards the next goal whenever they finish something, instead of letting them resupply.
(Or if you have way-to-big doomstacks, and never split them to siege/resupply.)

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I’m in Spain as the king of Aragon. The heir to one of my vassal dukes is of my house (the current duke is matrimarried to my daughter), but he’s somehow a count of a province in the HRE. I’m getting a pop up that the duchy will leave my kingdom when the duke dies — anyway I can prevent that? Try to assassinate my grandson? I have high crown authority.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
OK, when does your main character stop being able to have children?

I can't find any info about this, at all...

But I'm 63, and in good health, but haven't had a child in 15 years..
And every Spouse i pick, i see that i have None chance of children with every woman on earth. but no reasons as to why..

I have checked through all my traits, and only sees fertility boosts,
and I'm pretty sure my father had children over 48, as i do have 16 siblings..

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Descar posted:

And every Spouse i pick, i see that i have None chance of children with every woman on earth. but no reasons as to why..

Females become barren at around 45. I don't think there's a max for males being able to impregnate, but higher age makes it less likely.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
lmao I have the correct heir again because I stuffed a baby in the dungeon and forced him to vote properly on release.

But it's only 5 years of that. Luckily everyone hates me and I'm an obese drunkard so hopefully I kick the bucket soon and my heir can take over. Otherwise, that kid is going back in the dungeon.

Note: disinheriting heirs is kind of a short term solution because the guy my rear end in a top hat vassals keep voting for in one of my kingdoms is a disinherited heir who lives thousands of miles away. edit: to be clear, disinherited last generation as my current character's dad. He's current ruler's half brother.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 8, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Broken Cog posted:

When you start out as him, divorce your wife and search for characters with "Norse" culture and filter by "Beautiful" trait. Makes the start even better.

But yeah, he's chill. Though a lot slower than the other Scandinavian viking bigwigs.

How Dare you. I made her my soul mate and ended up with 11+ children!

Also, apparently attempting to go feudal is a fools errand as tribal folks, can anyone confirm?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Is there any particular reason my Catholic wife just decided to go full nude? I don't see any Adamite religion or trait or anything.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dreffen posted:

Is there any particular reason my Catholic wife just decided to go full nude? I don't see any Adamite religion or trait or anything.

Did she pick up Lunatic at any point?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

dreffen posted:

There seems to be a bug where chars get naked for no clear reason - even if you actually disable nudity they still show up as nude.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

FileNotFound posted:

There seems to be a bug where chars get naked for no clear reason - even if you actually disable nudity they still show up as nude.

they are just that into getting naked

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Descar posted:

I think the Chance of Children display is bugged, is the problem here.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
How do you end a defensive crusade? The war score is barely moving at all and this is a giant distraction from the stuff I really need to deal with.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Broken Cog posted:

Did she pick up Lunatic at any point?

No but she did kill her brother at some point.

FileNotFound posted:

That makes sense!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SubNat posted:

I do appreciate that the supply system allows for supply runs/drops.
Especially if you have a commander with one of the supply++ traits, since it averages out the supplies when you merge armies.

Though supplies only ever seem to be a big issue if you're doing a long, protracted stomping mission where you just immediately fling your armies on towards the next goal whenever they finish something, instead of letting them resupply.
(Or if you have way-to-big doomstacks, and never split them to siege/resupply.)

How do you do supply runs?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Qubee posted:

How do you do supply runs?

Haven't tried it but seems simple in concept. Have a split unit lead by a commander with the +supplies trait, keep them in your territory while you have another army off sieging. When the sieging army runs low on supplies, run the reserve army to them and merge to have them share supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

How do you end a defensive crusade? The war score is barely moving at all and this is a giant distraction from the stuff I really need to deal with.

I spent five years fending off a crusade for France, before getting royally fed up and sending a strike team down to italy to siege down the papacy itself. Because the entirety of the crusading army was in western france at the time, they couldn't get back to Italy in time. Then I just had to give them one last push to retake the holdings of mine they had beseiged and they gave up.