Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shoehead posted:

*Checks* Oh it's about Brexit, lmao I forgot that was still happening my God

Wait, really? I thought it became official a few months back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Byzantine posted:

Boris decided to say he wasn't going to follow the agreement they made involving Ireland a few days back.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Byzantine posted:

we're on a lifeglug for a few more months, boris is just pissing on ireland

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

An insane mind posted:

I think Boy George is pretty cool.

word up man let's go listen to some boy george

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dr Pepper posted:

Boris decided to say he wasn't going to follow the agreement they made involving Ireland a few days back.

So you end up with a literal Cabinet secretary saying, in Parliament, "we're going to break international law" ("in a very limited, specific way") which is totally not going to end up with every criminal defendant and their dog using that statement.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
asked this before but never got an answer: does anyone know what happened to that Naruto Maoist crazypants walking drama reactor from Oakland named Alluvium Hywel or something like that?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

An insane mind posted:

If the whole jury is just white, old, male suburbanites he's walking.

Yeah, as a matter of law, the guy is guilty as hell. He has absolutely no legal argument that what he did was self defense.

What his lawyer seems to be putting out is basically a novel variation on the established principle that is used by domestic abuse victims who kill their partner, i.e. that his life may not have been in danger at that very moment, but that the whole situation was so dangerous that it was only a matter of time before he was attacked, and by that point it would have been too late.

It's legal horseshit, but it's the kind of legal horseshit that isn't really meant to make a compelling legal argument for acquittal. It's to give the jurors a fig leaf of cover to acquit because they don't want to convict regardless of the law, i.e. jury nullification.

My gut says that his lawyer's strategy is probably not full on jury nullification, but to put enough fear into the prosecutor that they offer a plea deal for a lesser charge.

I think that's ... unlikely, both because this is an exceptionally strong case and because any plea deal would basically cause the same amount of anger as a conviction/acquittal, so there's very little incentive to deal, and probably a lot of pressure in the opposite direction.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
found them, [mod edit: name removed] and they seemed to have ditched the internet in 2015 or so, which is probably wise considering most of the search results are kiwifarms threads and the like :yikes:

so I guess the moral of this is that if you vaguely remember a funny image of someone dressed in naruto cosplay carrying posters full of maoist slogans, just leave it that as a vague memory because the only people who still care about it are the worst people on the internet

Somebody has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Sep 9, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dr Pepper posted:

Is this something that can actually be used in court or is this just chud nonsense

Chud Nonsense. It's tied up with the whole "He was being attack with molotovs!!!" thing that chuds are really really into.

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, as a matter of law, the guy is guilty as hell. He has absolutely no legal argument that what he did was self defense.

What his lawyer seems to be putting out is basically a novel variation on the established principle that is used by domestic abuse victims who kill their partner, i.e. that his life may not have been in danger at that very moment, but that the whole situation was so dangerous that it was only a matter of time before he was attacked, and by that point it would have been too late.

It's legal horseshit, but it's the kind of legal horseshit that isn't really meant to make a compelling legal argument for acquittal. It's to give the jurors a fig leaf of cover to acquit because they don't want to convict regardless of the law, i.e. jury nullification.

My gut says that his lawyer's strategy is probably not full on jury nullification, but to put enough fear into the prosecutor that they offer a plea deal for a lesser charge.

I think that's ... unlikely, both because this is an exceptionally strong case and because any plea deal would basically cause the same amount of anger as a conviction/acquittal, so there's very little incentive to deal, and probably a lot of pressure in the opposite direction.

I think it would be hard to justify any kind of self defense by the fact he traveled with his gun across state lines specifically when there was a protest going on. Also in a just world, the his mom and the police would be charged as accessory.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Chud Nonsense. It's tied up with the whole "He was being attack with molotovs!!!" thing that chuds are really really into.

I think it would be hard to justify any kind of self defense by the fact he traveled with his gun across state lines specifically when there was a protest going on. Also in a just world, the his mom and the police would be charged as accessory.

Yeah, there's absolutely no justification. Like, literally none for what he did, and I agree 100% that his parents and the cops should be considered accessories. It's why his only hope is to basically get a sympathetic jury who's willing to literally say "gently caress the law" and either straight up acquit him or at least refuse to convict so there's a hung jury (which would give the defense leverage to push for a plea).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if the experience of being in jail is causing him to rethink his love of the police.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I wonder if the experience of being in jail is causing him to rethink his love of the police.

yeah, i'm sure he's in a cell, not behind a desk with an honorary police badge and a photo on the wall of the cool people they arrested taking selfies instead of mugshots but instead of like, getting a photo for eating a dozen footlongs, it's a photo for shooting an innocent protester

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Byzantine posted:

You know when two parents separate but they're still technically married and squabbling over the most petty poo poo for 2+ years?

Its basically that right now. And when it's over their children will resent them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1303429887592669184?s=20

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

found them, their name was REDACTED and they seemed to have ditched the internet in 2015 or so, which is probably wise considering most of the search results are kiwifarms threads and the like :yikes:

so I guess the moral of this is that if you vaguely remember a funny image of someone dressed in naruto cosplay carrying posters full of maoist slogans, just leave it that as a vague memory because the only people who still care about it are the worst people on the internet

you noticed that googling the guys full name led to a bunch of kiwi farms poo poo, and still thought it was a good idea to share that name with everybody

you should probably edit that out my man

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

little munchkin posted:

you noticed that googling the guys full name led to a bunch of kiwi farms poo poo, and still thought it was a good idea to share that name with everybody

you should probably edit that out my man

maybe but I don't think anyone has given a poo poo about them besides my own stupid self in literally years

ah gently caress it I'll scramble it anyway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, there's absolutely no justification. Like, literally none for what he did, and I agree 100% that his parents and the cops should be considered accessories. It's why his only hope is to basically get a sympathetic jury who's willing to literally say "gently caress the law" and either straight up acquit him or at least refuse to convict so there's a hung jury (which would give the defense leverage to push for a plea).

I can see some chuds who are super horny to start blasting anyone they see in a hoodie would love to get preemptive self defense as a justification for murder.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

twistedmentat posted:

His lawyer is claiming the gun never crossed state lines. Supposedly the business he was 'Guarding' was run by a relative and he worked in Kenosha. They're going to show all the photos of him cleaning up graffiti earlier that day as well I'm sure.

They're also going to latch onto the fact that the guy who got shot in the arm had a gun as well.

I think a lot will hinge on the autopsy results of the first shooting victim. I heard somewhere he was actually shot from behind which really unravels the 'self defense' angle.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Panfilo posted:

His lawyer is claiming the gun never crossed state lines. Supposedly the business he was 'Guarding' was run by a relative and he worked in Kenosha. They're going to show all the photos of him cleaning up graffiti earlier that day as well I'm sure.

They're also going to latch onto the fact that the guy who got shot in the arm had a gun as well.

I think a lot will hinge on the autopsy results of the first shooting victim. I heard somewhere he was actually shot from behind which really unravels the 'self defense' angle.

I don't see how this helps. that means he went into the store, got the gun, then came out again, which would nullify any castle doctrine or SYG defense, right?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

maybe but I don't think anyone has given a poo poo about them besides my own stupid self in literally years

ah gently caress it I'll scramble it anyway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

man

come on, you’re smarter than that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This might be the dumbest Rubin yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texSpakHD-8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dave Rubin's month long vacations where he comes back and has some reactionary dope telling him everything he missed is such a stupid loving bit. Even if he was actually off the grid (he wasn't) it'd still be stupid. The people that watch Rubin's poo poo don't watch it for Rubin.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

asked this before but never got an answer: does anyone know what happened to that Naruto Maoist crazypants walking drama reactor from Oakland named Alluvium Hywel or something like that?

Pretty sure we're no longer allowed to poke fun at crazy internet anime people. The internet has since become a breeding ground for actual world-shattering events and real-life violence, so thanks to alt-right terrorists, bad cops, Neo-Confederate politicians, et al, the fun's over. Plus she came out as trans so she's pretty much off-limits anyway.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

sure hope this isnt pool, cause jfc thats sadder than i thought

For each of these hateful weird losers theres even sadder fans willing to sleep with them.

IMAGINE MY SCHOCK when a woman wrote that article about being manipulated into a relationship with the IMAGINE MY SCHOCK guy

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Norway woman on trial for staging attacks blamed on anti-racists

quote:

The partner of Norway's former justice minister is on trial, accused of staging attacks against the couple and blaming an anti-racist theatre troupe.

In the extraordinary case, Laila Anita Bertheussen, who is a member of a right-wing anti-immigration party, is accused of vandalising her own family home and threatening her relatives on several occasions, making it appear as though the Black Box theatre group was to blame.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

BLACKS RULE

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm proud to announce that another mole has been whacked:

I must have reported him months ago, maybe a year or more, so who knows if this was spurred by his nazi buds deciding to brigade him or something, but I'll take it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He's one of the dumbest people doing political talking on YouTube he's just not as big as the others so slides under the radar. Shortly before I got banned I saw he'd morphed into a reply guy on twitter which was funny.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

What kind of reply guy are we talking here? Political reply guy? Thirsty reply guy?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cool dance moves posted:

What kind of reply guy are we talking here? Political reply guy? Thirsty reply guy?

More political though he'd be in AOC's from time to time I'm pretty sure. You'd see him replying in a bunch of political tweets that were making the rounds.

https://twitter.com/JoeBerkowitz/status/1303751665636356098?s=20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lightning Knight posted:

man

come on, you’re smarter than that

apparently, I'm not

gdamn I dunno what the gently caress I was thinking yesterday

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Shageletic posted:

For each of these hateful weird losers theres even sadder fans willing to sleep with them.

IMAGINE MY SCHOCK when a woman wrote that article about being manipulated into a relationship with the IMAGINE MY SCHOCK guy

that one was almost certainly written by paul himself

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

I must have reported him months ago, maybe a year or more, so who knows if this was spurred by his nazi buds deciding to brigade him or something, but I'll take it.

the account is still active, he probably just had to delete a tweet or had a timeout

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I got sent that too! He has so much reportable crap on his Twitter

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shoehead posted:

I got sent that too! He has so much reportable crap on his Twitter

Keep reporting, reporters!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

So did TP just seal Biden's victory or has he actually ever been right about things?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It takes a sustained campaign to get a well known fascist shut up, I get 7 days Twitter jail for suggesting that maybe cop killers might actually statistically save lives...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Marx Was A Lib posted:

It takes a sustained campaign to get a well known fascist shut up, I get 7 days Twitter jail for suggesting that maybe cop killers might actually statistically save lives...

I got week for saying Elon Musk is "a thot & nasty rear end ho". I got banned when I said "gently caress off and die" to a Nazi whose handle was FashMoney lmao

That styxhammer666 guy has a video of him engaging in Holocaust denial (he claims it wasn't actual Holocaust denial) and gets mad that you bring up a video from "five years ago" as if it was acceptable to say the poo poo he did ever and somehow remains on the platform.