Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Spidey is showing that he may not know his universe well enough if he's got Tony in a tier with Hulk and Thor. A tier that is above Black Bolt. And I'm thinking he only passively knows of Ghost Rider for that matter.

Well, Tony himself says he can only hold that level of exertion briefly. Plus it was the 70s. A lot of characters have changed and/or been powered up since then. The Thing definitely belongs in the super-heavyweight category, even if he's not quite in the Hulk's class; Cage, She-Hulk, Colossus, and probably Spidey himself would fit better in the heavyweight category today; Cap and Black Panther could safely be moved up to mediumweight; etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is more of an action figure question but I figure people around here would probably know, how is it that companies can make those high quality not licensed Transformers without getting sued by Hasbro? I know they don't use the names but are the designs not protected too?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

This is more of an action figure question but I figure people around here would probably know, how is it that companies can make those high quality not licensed Transformers without getting sued by Hasbro? I know they don't use the names but are the designs not protected too?

What figures are you talking about?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Hasbro uses them as free market research to see how much nerds are willing to pay for high end dolls

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

There's a series called Gigapower that has high quality Dinobot figures with different names, like Superator for Grimlock. I'm not in the scene at all which is I don't know the legality of it, I just saw this stuff existed after youtube did a recommendation for a guy who reviews those kind of figure and I watched a couple of his videos but he didn't go into it either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

There's like a fuckton of companies that make unofficial Transformers figures often based on the comics, but aren't copies of Hasbro figures. Every one being sold here.

Anyway, I think the answer basically comes down to the law being a little trickier than it seems since they're designing their own figures and it's not really worth it for Hasbro to make an effort.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

Spidey is showing that he may not know his universe well enough if he's got Tony in a tier with Hulk and Thor. A tier that is above Black Bolt. And I'm thinking he only passively knows of Ghost Rider for that matter.

Tony used to do this thing once in a while where he'd connect to a power line and drain the city's entire grid to achieve hulk-like strength. It doesn't come up much anymore because that's not how electricity works, but we're talking about comics written when transistors were considered fancy new technology.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

In Brubaker's Captain America, the Red Skull gets his mind transferred into a giant robot and then seems be dead when the robot is destroyed. The next time he shows up as far I can tell, it's a back up clone (?) of him in Remender's Uncanny Avengers, searching for Xavier's brain (lol comics).

Does the "original" Red Skull ever come back?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes(?)

It's the step before he gets transferred into the giant robot - Skull is assassinated while holding the cosmic cube, and that traps his consciousness inside the cube, which then gets 'leaked' out to the guy who assassinated him for it. The robot brain transfer is how he gets out of that body, but then after that robot is killed and the clone is killed, that original body jump guy gets resurrected in typical comic book fashion but oops he's still possessed by the cosmic cube ghost of Red Skull.

But it's worth remembering that 'original' Red Skull was already a brain-transfer clone.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Steve Rogers put on the infinity gauntlet and discovered there are three red skulls

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Yes(?)

It's the step before he gets transferred into the giant robot - Skull is assassinated while holding the cosmic cube, and that traps his consciousness inside the cube, which then gets 'leaked' out to the guy who assassinated him for it. The robot brain transfer is how he gets out of that body, but then after that robot is killed and the clone is killed, that original body jump guy gets resurrected in typical comic book fashion but oops he's still possessed by the cosmic cube ghost of Red Skull.

But it's worth remembering that 'original' Red Skull was already a brain-transfer clone.

Aha, I see, thank you. Do you remember which comic it’s in where the clone dies and the original body jump guy gets resurrected?

Right! Wasn’t it actually a clone body of Steve Rogers?

Tracing the history of some of these characters is hilarious. If Tom King wants to explore superheroes getting therapy it should be about dealing with that time you became a baby or had to live in another universe for a few years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not sure about when the clone dies - that's somewhere in the middle of the Secret Empire mainline (wait, is that a clone or cube recreated alternate reality?). Cube ghost is brought back in Captain America #5 or #6 of Te-Nehisi Coates' run (loving comics, I honestly don't even know if this is the current ongoing)

Yeah, the original Skull was in accidental suspended animation much like Captain America to get to modern times and, uh, at some point begins a plan with Arnim Zola to clone Steve Rogers and transplant Hitler's brain into him but Hitler's brain gets smashed (I think) and Red Skull's suspended animation starts running out making him real old (weird, sounds like a Captain America plot) so they put his brain in the clone instead.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Red Skull and his body:

1. The original Red Skull (Johann Shmidt) was thought to have been killed in a bunker at the end of World War II when a grenade exploded in his hand and then his bunker got bombed and collapsed, but he was wearing armor! And the bunker released a gas to put him into suspended animation and heal him of his wounds! (this was a retcon to explain why he was around after Cap got unfrozen)

2. There was a Communist Red Skull in the 1950s comics that got retconned to be a different guy, Albert Malik, who fought Spider-Man's parents when they were secret agents. Eventually he got tracked down and killed by Scourge acting on the orders of the original Red Skull.

3. The Red Skull got revived by THEM (who were later retconned to be a front for HYDRA) and this revived Skull hadn't aged and was strong and youthful as he did all of the poo poo in Marvel Comics from 1965 to 1984. But then at the tail end of JM DeMatteis's run on Captain America, the chemicals that did kept him young and strong broke down and he was rapidly aging and going to die. He tried to kill Captain America one last time but died.

4. But Arnim Zola made a copy of his brain and put it in a clone of Steve Rogers, allowing the no-longer-Skully Red Skull to work behind the scenes on the Commission of Superhuman Activities as John Smith, where it turns out he was the force behind like all of the bad guy groups in Gruenwald's run, from Scourge to the Watchdogs to Ultimatum to pulling the strings to replace Steve Rogers with John Walker. Eventually his face got turned into a skull again and Magneto dropped him in that pit so he was back to being a kind of skinny frail guy with a skull face.

6. In Mark Waid's first Captain America run, Red Skull got a Cosmic Cube again and tried to take over the world, but Captain America sliced his arm off with his shield, severing Skull's connection to the Cosmic Cube and then the Cosmic Cube exploded and killed Red Skull!

7. But of course his mind survived in the Cosmic Cube and he eventually broke free with the help of Kang and internalized the Cosmic Cube power. Red Skull uses the Cube power to take over near-future America before Captain America finally resolves to kill the Red Skull with his energy shield that can turn into an energy sword and when he kills Red Skull all of the power of the Cube flows into Uatu... who is really Kang... who is really Korvac! Captain America follows Korvac into the future and then comes back and it's a little earlier than when he left so he doesn't kill the Red Skull after all, but then he kills him again by tricking him into jumping into Galactus's antimatter warp drive or something, which disintegrates him and pops out a nice clean Cosmic Cube.

8. The Red Skull appears again a couple years later, with a cursory explanation given that he survived getting disintegrated because he still was kind of connected to the Cosmic Cube, which brought him back as a normal human but the Red Skull's connection let him turn the Cosmic Cube into a new Hate-Monger. But people Care Bear Stared Tolerance and Diversity back at the Cosmic Hate Monger and he disintegrates, leaving a normal human Red Skull to get punched in the face and arrested.

9. Then the Red Skull got a normal human mask and bribed/murdered his way into being appointed the Secretary of Defense, Dell Rusk. He killed a bunch of people with a secret death gas made in a lab under Mount Rushmore as a prelude to I guess take over the world, but Black Panther literally punched his skull jaw off before he could do it.

10. His jaw gets better, but at the outset of Brubaker's Cap run the Red Skull gets assassinated by the Winter Soldier. Aleksander Lukin is the guy who orders the hit, because he wants the Cosmic Cube Skull has again. But Skull uses the Cube to transfer his brain into Lukin, and they're both inside the same body fighting for control. Then Skull (in Lukin's body) arranges to assassinate Steve Rogers (right after Civil War) and fake Lukin's death so he can run things behind the scenes and eventually use the Cube to stick his brain into Sharon Carter and Steve Rogers's baby's body. But Sharon Carter shoots and kills Skull (in Lukin's body) before he gets to do any of this.

11. But Arnim Zola fuckin' backed him up again, and put him in that giant robot! And also Red Skull didn't actually kill Steve, he just made him unstuck in time with the back-up plan to stick his brain in Steve Rogers instead of Steve's baby, which was miscarried anyway. But then Skull's brain gets stuck in the robot body and the Avengers blow it up, killing the Red Skull again.

12. Then one of his "back up clones" awakens after the 'real' Red Skull dies, and this is the one who smooshes Xavier's brain onto his to become a super powerful telepath. This Red Skull is the one in AXIS and all of Nick Spencer's Captain America/Secret Empire run. At the same time, the Avengers (in Uncanny Avengers) track him down and surgically remove Xavier's brain from him, then Nazsteve murders him right before Secret Empire proper starts.

[I'm not really clear why they made such a point that this WASN'T the real Red Skull, it was a backup clone, but they did, repeatedly. Spencer even did a dumb thing in Standoff/the early parts of his Captain America run to have Red Skull remind everyone he was just a clone of Red Skull with Xavier's brain -- but he wasn't going to use Xavier's powers to make everyone into a Nazi, because that would be too easy. He just uses another Cosmic Cube to turn Steve Rogers into a Nazi, because I guess that's more on-brand? But he wants to brainwash the rest of America into fascism the old fashioned way.]

13. In the current TNC Cap run, Selene resurrects Lukin, and when she does the Red Skull is somehow still back inside him.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 8, 2020

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
You're doing the lord's work, E&C

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I love how it keeps getting more insane

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Edge & Christian posted:

7. ... into Uatu... who is really Kang... who is really Korvac!

Holy poo poo I might need to go read #7

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just a few corrections: When Steve Rogers clone body Red Skull shot his bargain basement joker venom death dust into his own face and made his face a red skull, it wasn't him getting turned "back" into a red skull faced man, before then he'd always just been a regular guy wearing a mask. He'd finally retired the gimmick and enjoyed being an ubermensch until he very ironically got his actual face turned into a skull.

Now, considering all the crazy poo poo that happened in between that and the start of Brubaker's run, it's kind of surprising to me that his corpse was still the buff Steve Rogers clone body with a skull face, but maybe that was just a case of ignoring the 90s.

Another correction is that when Sharon Carter shot Lukin, he had already downloaded the Red Skull consciousness into the backup system that was supposed to go into Baby Steve Rogers but instead went into a robot, it's just that Sharon didn't know that. That was spelled out pretty obviously so it doesn't really count as a death for the Skull. Tough break for Lukin too.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I am so glad I asked, thank you everyone. I’ve read that Dell Rusk story, it’s ridiculous but not in a good way like the Mark Waid stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
All that Red Skull stuff made me think: has there been an "iconic" villain who has either stayed dead, or passed on to a legacy who surpassed the original (or outright replaced the original). I was thinking Green Goblin but then remembered Norman Osborne came back. I can't think of any villain who has actually stayed dead (which makes sense if they are fan favourite).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

All that Red Skull stuff made me think: has there been an "iconic" villain who has either stayed dead, or passed on to a legacy who surpassed the original (or outright replaced the original). I was thinking Green Goblin but then remembered Norman Osborne came back. I can't think of any villain who has actually stayed dead (which makes sense if they are fan favourite).

Hobgoblin maybe? When's the last time he came back?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Hobgoblin maybe? When's the last time he came back?

The "original" came back and murdered the second Hobby and took back the name and costume.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

The first name that comes to my mind is Cheetah -- the Barbara Ann Minerva version has entirely replaced the original Priscilla Rich version.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

The "original" came back and murdered the second Hobby and took back the name and costume.

How long did it take for Hobgoblin to actually be Roderick Kingsley?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Where does George Maxon fit into this?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Where does George Maxon fit into this?

The original Red Skull hired him to operate as the Red Skull before the Red Skull actually appeared

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

How long did it take for Hobgoblin to actually be Roderick Kingsley?

Like 20 years or something.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll add that during Waids run the first Skull "death" is after he absorbed Cap into the cube in order to kill Hitler, who was trapped inside the cube by Skull and who was being used by neo neo nazis to overwrite reality with Hitler world, because Skull didn't want to share power with Hitler. So Skull making a Cosmic Cube Hate Monger seems a bit out of character!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Madkal posted:

Baron Zemo?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Well, they couldn't Heinrich back, because he died in such an awesomely stupid and stupidly awesome way.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, right after 9/11 when everyone was all schmaltzy, one of the marvel comics famously had dr doom crying, but I vaguely recall an issue of Captain America where he lectures someone in the military that good soldiers always follow orders.

Does anyone else remember this or did my mind make that up?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Captain America book shortly after 9/11 had him kill a terrorist then publicly reveal his identity.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
In the Good Art/Bad Art thread I was pleasantly reminded of Pat Mills' Sláine, which liberally borrowed the term "warp-spasm" from Thomas Kinsella's 1969 translation of The Tain. I went to revisit that work and found a surprise:

The Tain posted:

The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing,
hideous and shapeless, unheard of.

His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot,
shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream.
His body made a furious twist inside his skin,
so that his feet and shins and knees switched to the rear
and his heels and calves switched to the front.

The balled sinews of his calves switched to the front of his shins,
each big knot the size of a warrior's bunched fist.
On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck,
each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child.

His face and features became a red bowl;
he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane could not probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull;
the other eye fell out along his cheek.

His mouth weirdly distorted:
his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared;
his lungs and liver flapped in his mouth and throat;
his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow,
and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat.

His heart boomed loud in his breast like the baying of a watch-dog at its feed
or the sound of a lion among bears.
Malignant mists and spurts of fire flickered red in the vaporous clouds
that rose boiling above his head,
so fierce was his fury.
The hero-halo rose out of his brow,
long and broad as a warrior's whetstone,
long as a snout,

and he went mad rattling his shields, urging on his charioteer
and harassing the hosts.

Then, tall and thick,
steady and strong,
high as the mast of a noble ship,
rose up from the dead center of his skull
a straight spout of black blood,
darkly and magically smoking.

Has Morrison ever said one way or another if he too plucked this key bit of terminology out of Kinsella? I haven't turned anything up but it makes me curious about a read of Flex Mentallo's relationship to the body and the idea of "physique" that has roots in Cu Chullain and in Mills' earlier work, perhaps especially Simon Bisley's primally ripped interpretation.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There was some talk in the BSS movie thread about the She-Hulk series and how Jennifer Walters became She-Hulk which made me think of something that I may have completely wrong. Am I right in thinking that in one of the She-Hulk runs there is a story where people from a different dimension (can't remember which one) travel to the 616 dimension as a sort of holiday. At the same time Jennifer loses her ability to turn into She-Hulk so she decides to go to the other dimension on a permanent basis while the Jennifer Walters from that dimension takes her place in the 616. Did something like that happen or am I making something up from bits and pieces I've read?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

bessantj posted:

There was some talk in the BSS movie thread about the She-Hulk series and how Jennifer Walters became She-Hulk which made me think of something that I may have completely wrong. Am I right in thinking that in one of the She-Hulk runs there is a story where people from a different dimension (can't remember which one) travel to the 616 dimension as a sort of holiday. At the same time Jennifer loses her ability to turn into She-Hulk so she decides to go to the other dimension on a permanent basis while the Jennifer Walters from that dimension takes her place in the 616. Did something like that happen or am I making something up from bits and pieces I've read?

The Alt universe stuff is from Slotts good run. I don’t remember the swap but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Almost

Wikipedia posted:

A permanently de-powered Jennifer Walters finds that tourists from an alternate universe – designated the Alpha universe – are crossing into her universe – which they call Beta – to gain access to superpowers and comes face to face with her own powered-up doppelganger. Jennifer confirms that her Alpha counterpart slept with the Juggernaut but her anger quickly turns to sorrow as she realizes that without her abilities, the Alpha Jennifer Walters – while unfamiliar with superhuman law – is far better suited to life in the Beta universe. Realizing this, she decides that she will go to the Alpha universe and let the other Jennifer Walters take over for her.

As she steps through the portal, Reed Richards realizes he can use the previously stored configuration of the Alpha She-Hulk to restore Jennifer's powers by purging the nanites from her body and setting the teleporter to loop her back to this reality. Having regained her abilities, Jennifer remains in her home reality, while the Alpha Jen Walters returns to her own universe and reconciles with her boyfriend, the Alpha Augustus "Pug" Pugliese

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think that entire storyline was to undo 'Jen has sex with Cain Marko' Chuck Austen did in his X-Men run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Slott is a creep.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thank you. I wasn't as far off as I thought. What I typed sounded a bit crazy but then it is comics. I didn't remember it was nanites that caused Jennifer to be depowered though.

Dawgstar posted:

I think that entire storyline was to undo 'Jen has sex with Cain Marko' Chuck Austen did in his X-Men run.

Good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She Hulk can NOT bang the Juggernaut but Aunt May has to bang Doc Ock and Peter HAS to watch.

Same writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

She Hulk can NOT bang the Juggernaut but Aunt May has to bang Doc Ock and Peter HAS to watch.

Same writer

Which one is his fetish?