Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Replacing "Mein Leben!" with "So much for the tolerant left!"

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's the 3D, drives people to bigotry. Just too many dimensions. Quake got away with it by being overwhelmingly brown and having you kill white culture (knights, vore fans who keep shooting their fetish at you, giant white dudes shooting lightning).

Shooters should have stayed 2.5D nazi-killers.

Perhaps every game should be prefaced with a training sequence where you kill a single nazi and are awarded a single point before you continue to the main story.

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, any standalone weapon set is potentially going to mess up the balance. Some more, others less.

Fan favorite weapon sets and Final Doomer, High Noon Drifter, Eriguns I and II. Some overpowered mods (opposite of what you are asking) are Guncaster, Trailblazer and Typhon. To be Honest HND is half way there.

If you want spice up the gaphicx and feel of weapons of vanilla Doom, try Hires Smooth Doom. And perkristian hi-res Doom sound pack.

Another way to do it without touching up the balance would be having new monster skins, try Shades of Doom.

I guess I should've specified that I prefer the balance being tipped in favor of ridonculous weapons over Project Brutality style where enemies can one-shot you and move faster than nightmare. Although really I think reskinning the game is exactly what I want as I've been playing through all these games as visually authentically as possible so playing the same game but faster/smoother is motivation enough to go back.

Not for Doom 2, though, gimme all the broken tacticool weapons in the world to make that experience fun again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's the 3D, drives people to bigotry. Just too many dimensions. Quake got away with it by being overwhelmingly brown and having you kill white culture (knights, vore fans who keep shooting their fetish at you, giant white dudes shooting lightning).

Shooters should have stayed 2.5D nazi-killers.

At least the new Wolfenstein games have been uncompromising in their depictions of bigotry.

It felt so satisfying after Bioshock Infinite tried to “both sides!”.:barf:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
People stumbling over themselves to praise bioshock infinite’s story was the worst. Eventually people turned on it but I remember finishing the game back when it launched and was like to this isn’t good, and kinda racist? Journalists claiming that the part where you can decide to throw a ball at an interracial couple was a “moral choice” was just lol

Wow cool lighthouse!!!!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Overbite posted:

People stumbling over themselves to praise bioshock infinite’s story was the worst. Eventually people turned on it but I remember finishing the game back when it launched and was like to this isn’t good, and kinda racist? Journalists claiming that the part where you can decide to throw a ball at an interracial couple was a “moral choice” was just lol

Wow cool lighthouse!!!!

:suicide:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bioshock Infinite would've been great if it was the originally promised concept of Portal: The Arena Shooter instead of an okay shooter at best that constantly stops you to ask "What if the oppressed... were the oppressors?"

Bioshock 2 is a great example of trusting the player with stupid broken powers against dumb enemies making inherently bland combat really fun which is basically the argument for Prey/Dishonored and ImSims in general.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

Replacing "Mein Leben!" with "Wow can't handle a different opinion?!"

"So much for the tolerant left..."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

Perhaps every game should be prefaced with a training sequence where you kill a single nazi and are awarded a single point before you continue to the main story.

Every game should be Wolfenstein imo

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cat Mattress posted:

"So much for the tolerant left..."

On that note Wolfenstein Youngblood is a hoot and everyone were just jerks who don't like a good time. Jess and Soph were hilarious. They're two stupid teenage dorks raised by BJ Blazkowicz, who thought they were gonna have more than one brain cell between the two of them? All that matters is they kill nazis good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Yeah, I've been replaying Infinite and I've kinda lost all enthusiasm now that I've reached the back half of the game and now the story and game-play are both taking massive nosedives.

I'd also honestly forgotten how much Infinite is torn between wanting to be a triple A Call of Duty type shooter and staying true to its immersive sims roots.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

What are Doom weapon mods that make you underpowered? Psychic I think counts, even if part of the difficulty comes from figuring out how to play. Also Hideous Destructor, maybe?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Only play with the pistol and regular shotgun

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honestly I kind of wish Ebert wasn't so entirely dismissive of video games as a medium, simply because if he played some we would have had the opportunity to see him absolutely eviscerate all the "deep" AAA games high on their own farts that are like C-tier film plots at best.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

laserghost posted:

What are Doom weapon mods that make you underpowered? Psychic I think counts, even if part of the difficulty comes from figuring out how to play. Also Hideous Destructor, maybe?

Extreme Weapon Pack

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I kind of wish Ebert wasn't so entirely dismissive of video games as a medium, simply because if he played some we would have had the opportunity to see him absolutely eviscerate all the "deep" AAA games high on their own farts that are like C-tier film plots at best.

Yeah it's pretty funny how when gamers do "this game is art" stuff they pick the worst examples.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

al-azad posted:

Also shoutout to Bionic Commando where Hitler also melts. Thank Raiders for melting Nazis.

Obligatory Everdraed:

https://youtu.be/QI8CkCp8mao

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always respected how Ebert was able to appraise things on their own merit. He enjoyed a lot of dumb things because they were sincere in how dumb they were and he would often fight with Siskel on animated movies for kids because Siskel was a big spoiled baby who disliked animated stuff on the grounds it wasn't live action.

He absolutely would be the guy to call out AAA games for being toothless while saying untitled goose game is an evolution in stealth games that ImSim developers should mine ideas from.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Bioshock infinite is one of the most confused modern shooters of, like... ever.

It just has no idea what it wants to do -thematically, mechanically, philosophically. Its just a mess from beginning to end. The game ditches any real exploration of Columbia very early on, in favor of increasingly whacked out SciFi bullshit.

And the actual shooting mechanics are, in a word,terrible. There's a lot of very cool ideas (zip lines!) that get lost in the noise because the basics weren't hammered out.

The way that the industry fellated the title as art is just baffling, TBH. Are we THAT desperate for the veneer of depth?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bioshock infinite has a detailed and lore-rich section on the menstrual blood of a teenage girl

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Video games are art

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvgZtdmyKlI

(but with Terror Billy staring at you from a bar at the bottom of the screen)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Narcissus1916 posted:

Bioshock infinite is one of the most confused modern shooters of, like... ever.

It just has no idea what it wants to do -thematically, mechanically, philosophically. Its just a mess from beginning to end. The game ditches any real exploration of Columbia very early on, in favor of increasingly whacked out SciFi bullshit.

And the actual shooting mechanics are, in a word,terrible. There's a lot of very cool ideas (zip lines!) that get lost in the noise because the basics weren't hammered out.

The way that the industry fellated the title as art is just baffling, TBH. Are we THAT desperate for the veneer of depth?

It also does the Halo two weapon thing and I'm not really sure why; the first Bioshock was fine with a full weapon wheel and the two weapon thing was already starting to go out of fashion when Infinite came out so I don't know why they picked that moment to hop on the trend.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It has the two weapon limit *and* a weapon upgrade/investment system, so you're constantly dumping money into weapons you stop using around the next corner when they run out of ammo. And then halfway through the game they unlock a whole other arsenal that takes the place of your upgraded guns for a while.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the scrags in quake are literally (grand??) wizards

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Infinite is a 0/10 game because they removed WELCOME TO THE CIRCUS OF VALUE

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I mean, Quake is literally about taking the works of noted racist Howard Phillip Lovecraft and blowing them to pieces with shotguns and grenade launchers to a soundtrack by notably left-wing artist Trent Reznor.

I bet Ranger says Trans Lives Matter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

Infinite is a 0/10 game because they removed WELCOME TO THE CIRCUS OF VALUE

HA HA HA HA

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Wild T posted:

I mean, Quake is literally about taking the works of noted racist Howard Phillip Lovecraft and blowing them to pieces with shotguns and grenade launchers to a soundtrack by notably left-wing artist Trent Reznor.

it's actually what he's saying every time he jumps, it's just lost in translation

HUH
HUH
HUH

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

al-azad posted:

What are your recommendations for fun standalone weapon sets or additions to Doom that don't directly mess with the game's balance? Looking to spice up vanilla Doom.

There was this one really neat mod that was focused on thrown explosives, wish I could remember the name of it

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, any standalone weapon set is potentially going to mess up the balance. Some more, others less.

Fan favorite weapon sets and Final Doomer, High Noon Drifter, Eriguns I and II. Some overpowered mods (opposite of what you are asking) are Guncaster, Trailblazer and Typhon. To be Honest HND is half way there.

If you want spice up the gaphicx and feel of weapons of vanilla Doom, try Hires Smooth Doom. And perkristian hi-res Doom sound pack.

Another way to do it without touching up the balance would be having new monster skins, try Shades of Doom.

Some good stuff here

Overbite posted:

Wow cool lighthouse!!!!

Yeah the story sucked, which is a shame cause Columbia itself was an excellent setting concept(but then I'm a huge sucker for the Turn of The Century Americana aesthetic, both on it's own merits and how ripe for parody it is)

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Wild T posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvaU9CaSeCE

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Bioshock Infinite felt too video-gamey to me. Whenever you were ziplining to different sections it felt like each section was a level in the game instead of an actual place where human beings would theoretically live.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I want Trent Reznor to score my artdecopunk Thief-like stealth game about serving Dishonored style ironic punishments to corrupt government officials, the rich, and cops.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah the story sucked, which is a shame cause Columbia itself was an excellent setting concept(but then I'm a huge sucker for the Turn of The Century Americana aesthetic, both on it's own merits and how ripe for parody it is)

I want to see more Victorian-1930's aesthetics in shooters, frankly. More 1950's retro-futurism too, while I'm at it.

Anyway, Shadow Warrior was the real best shooter of 2013, with better gameplay, better story (simpler, but not absolute crap), and honestly, I like Elizabeth fine enough, but Hoji is the way better sidekick. I want to like the Bioshock franchise, I like the style and aesthetics and all that, but I thought the first one was a step back from System Shock 2, I skipped 2, and Infinite's the only one I finished but it's not very good. Maybe the fourth one will be decent?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Highly recommend giving Bioshock 2 a shot. It got a bad wrap when it came out because people thought it was a quick cash grab (despite being in development for 2 and a half years???). The folks at Arkane helped work on it. Ken Levine's stupid face is nowhere to be seen. In addition to refining the gameplay with lots of quality of life improvements (you can use a gun AND powers at the same time!!! the hacking minigame isn't loving pipedream!) it's also a genuinely sweet and heartfelt Dad Game. The writing is snappier and far more interesting, playing as a Big Daddy absolutely rips, and the DLC campaign, Minerva's Den, is absolutely sublime. It's one of my favorite games, and I hate Bioshock 1 and Infinite.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I just played through High Hell. It's on sale on Steam right now. It's good if you like instagib railgun fights, speed running, or kicking hot dog covered grills off of skyscrapers. Would recommend.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

caleb posted:

I just played through High Hell. It's on sale on Steam right now. It's good if you like instagib railgun fights, speed running, or kicking hot dog covered grills off of skyscrapers. Would recommend.

Just added it to my cart.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Bioshock Infinite felt too video-gamey to me. Whenever you were ziplining to different sections it felt like each section was a level in the game instead of an actual place where human beings would theoretically live.

Yeah that poo poo was very on-rails (heh) and most if not all fights were arena poo poo. Seeing previews for the game I thought you were gonna be able to travel around on the rails from place to place at your choosing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
*runs in, panting*

calm-mecha-hitler.jpg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

catlord posted:

I want to see more Victorian-1930's aesthetics in shooters, frankly. More 1950's retro-futurism too, while I'm at it.

Anyway, Shadow Warrior was the real best shooter of 2013, with better gameplay, better story (simpler, but not absolute crap), and honestly, I like Elizabeth fine enough, but Hoji is the way better sidekick. I want to like the Bioshock franchise, I like the style and aesthetics and all that, but I thought the first one was a step back from System Shock 2, I skipped 2, and Infinite's the only one I finished but it's not very good. Maybe the fourth one will be decent?

More retro stylings in general are needed in this genre