Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Sometimes with the pym particle shrinking enemies and me as Black Widow darting around, I cant help but feel that this game is secretly Saints Row 5, and The Boss is just trapped in BWs body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I feel like the game would have been better if after the opening section, it was about Kamela creating the resistance, in the wake of the Avengers going under, and it was a bunch of Marvel B listers, Black Cat, Domino, Forge, Cloak and Dagger, that kind of level that she recruits. (Except, I guess, newer ones that they wanna push, I haven't read the comics in a while so I don't know who the currently pushed ones are). Then you have the resistance infiltrated, and there's a whole paranoid section but it turns out you were infiltrated by Black Widow!!! Who needs to recruit you all to Shield, that has gone underground, to restart the AVENGERS INITIATIVE!! (Cue Silvestri music). I mean I guess that's too many characters to code, and I get that Hulk is what sells, but, I can't help but feel when you start playing as him, while it's hilariously fun, he doesn't feel as insanely powerful as he should. I think there needs to be 'something' more in the game to hype the power level of these dudes up. You never get the sense that they're more powerful than your typical streets of rage brawler type.

Hulk should have a super where he jumps into the heavens, and then falls down like a comet and just obliterates all enemies in a visible radius leaving a big permanent crater (texture) where he lands. Stark should have a super where it goes POV for about 3 seconds, and Jarvis puts a target reticle over every enemy you see, with your vision spinning really quick so you can easily tag every enemy nearby, then it goes back to third person and he launches HUNDREDS of those seeker missiles from IM2 that all explode about the size of the portals that bring enemies in just loving all over the place.

etc etc. The supers they have are cool but none of them make you feel invincible, like you HUGELY outclass everything in the entire game, and I feel like for an Avengers game, that power fantasy should have never left sight of anyone working on it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Fantastic Four was tried, and found wanting.

Yeah, how would Stretchy Arms, Lady Who Can Be Invisible, Guy Who Can Fly and Shoot, or Big Tough Dude have possibly compared to Kamala, Widow, Tony or Hulk?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Seedge posted:

Yeah, how would Stretchy Arms, Lady Who Can Be Invisible, Guy Who Can Fly and Shoot, or Big Tough Dude have possibly compared to Kamala, Widow, Tony or Hulk?

Don't poo poo talk The Incredibles like that, the first one was pretty good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

VanillaGorilla posted:

They said in some interview that they have access to pretty much the entire Marvel comics IP for this, so I wouldn’t be too surprised to see some mutants pop in.

Wolverine is almost a guarantee at this point given he’s been a pretty prolific part of the Avengers in recent decades.

I mean, maybe? I think they'll be mutants with the serial numbers filed off like in MCU, though, because they threw out half of the Inhumans lore so that this game could treat them like how Marvel universe generally treats mutants. Although I suppose they could be saving "Black Bolt is super upset about what America did to his people" for a later event.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Deakul posted:

Man, I think the final mission's bugged for me.

You probably ran into the same bug I encountered in a couple of missions: the enemies clipped through the game world and are now alive but unreachable somewhere 50 miles below you. At this point the only thing that worked for me was restarting the entire mission and hoping it didn't happen again (I spent four hours retrying one mission where it kept happening over and over again).

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

teacup posted:

I just unlocked iron man and did one of his first missions break into an aim facility for something for other. Near the end you have this huge fight in a big arc reactor room and I just got beaten down so much. Should I be levelling him up in some of the other missions before going back or am I just bad

Getting in that building by holding a spot for waves of enemies w a character who is designed to die if you play that way was a huge pain in the rear end.

That part though was easy as gently caress. Just punch nodes, when dudes show up jet your rear end over to an empty one, punch that one while everyone kites to you, and when they show up, jet somewhere else. You might not be able to take down a node on one visit, but you can do the whole room without really having to fight anyone.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I’ve had a few game breaking glitches but nothing that couldn’t be fixed by restarting from the last checkpoint. I had one where I spawned in with two of every companion standing with heads up each other’s asses and they refused to move from the start of the map or do anything whatsoever.

more than anything it’s just the general level of jank that’s a problem at any given time, especially with kamala’s stretchy arms in the platforming sections, which seem to just not give you the prompt or not respond to your command half the time, and when it’s working perfectly there’s so much input lag it feels super bad.

hated iron man in the beta but he’s actually become my favorite character so far (still in campaign, just unlocked Cap and Thor). once you unlock lasers and missiles and beef him up a little so he’s not such a glass cannon, and get the hang of the garbage flight controls he’s really fun to play.

Tbh I do think they did a good job differentiating the characters styles, Kamala basically plays like GoW 1-3 Kratos which is fun. Widow and Cap play like Arkham characters. I’ve definitely had cool moments where it’s a massive battle and everything is exploding and poo poo is going everywhere and I’m zipping over and down and through the chaos blasting repulsors and missiles while Hulk flies by crushing poo poo and Kamala is 40 feet tall in my peripheral curb stomping some dude, Widow is flipping around karate kicking guys and shooting, and the crappy combat banter and generic knockoff MCU score is hitting just right and it really does give me that “I’m in an Avengers movie” thrill

if the content they roll out can deliver those moments like the campaign does and they can keep a steady output of characters that are distinct and more than just reskins (and they polish out some of the jank and completely baffling UI decisions) this could become something really special. you just never know what the support roadmap is like with GaaS stuff like this

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RubberLuffy posted:

It's entirely possible, and I've seen it happen in a few missions, that they either didn't spawn or they fell through the ground and did not trigger a death.

Der Shovel posted:

You probably ran into the same bug I encountered in a couple of missions: the enemies clipped through the game world and are now alive but unreachable somewhere 50 miles below you. At this point the only thing that worked for me was restarting the entire mission and hoping it didn't happen again (I spent four hours retrying one mission where it kept happening over and over again).

Yep, this must've been the case, I finally got past it after reloading it for like the 7th drat time.
Man, I'm putting up with some serious bullshit when it comes to this game.

Buggy as sin, half of the mechanics feel like they weren't tuned at all, and honestly the level design is disappointingly gamey instead of feeling like actual locales.

Buuuuuuut, when it clicks... it clicks really well and fills that Marvel Heroes sized hole in my heart.
I'm just hoping beyond hope that they actually listen to the community and adjust things accordingly.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Vishass posted:

Getting in that building by holding a spot for waves of enemies w a character who is designed to die if you play that way was a huge pain in the rear end.

That part though was easy as gently caress. Just punch nodes, when dudes show up jet your rear end over to an empty one, punch that one while everyone kites to you, and when they show up, jet somewhere else. You might not be able to take down a node on one visit, but you can do the whole room without really having to fight anyone.

yeah iron man seems really meant to be played hit and run style, it doesn’t work nearly as well when he’s solo and there’s no ground heroes to draw aggro and tank hits

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I'd like to thank whoever in this thread said to unlock the rockets on Iron Man first, it really does make his missions much easier. Hit Y repeatedly to kill every basic unit near you, run away to regen energy, rinse and repeat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

!Klams posted:

I feel like the game would have been better if after the opening section, it was about Kamela creating the resistance, in the wake of the Avengers going under, and it was a bunch of Marvel B listers, Black Cat, Domino, Forge, Cloak and Dagger, that kind of level that she recruits. (Except, I guess, newer ones that they wanna push, I haven't read the comics in a while so I don't know who the currently pushed ones are). Then you have the resistance infiltrated, and there's a whole paranoid section but it turns out you were infiltrated by Black Widow!!! Who needs to recruit you all to Shield, that has gone underground, to restart the AVENGERS INITIATIVE!! (Cue Silvestri music). I mean I guess that's too many characters to code, and I get that Hulk is what sells, but, I can't help but feel when you start playing as him, while it's hilariously fun, he doesn't feel as insanely powerful as he should. I think there needs to be 'something' more in the game to hype the power level of these dudes up. You never get the sense that they're more powerful than your typical streets of rage brawler type.

Hulk should have a super where he jumps into the heavens, and then falls down like a comet and just obliterates all enemies in a visible radius leaving a big permanent crater (texture) where he lands. Stark should have a super where it goes POV for about 3 seconds, and Jarvis puts a target reticle over every enemy you see, with your vision spinning really quick so you can easily tag every enemy nearby, then it goes back to third person and he launches HUNDREDS of those seeker missiles from IM2 that all explode about the size of the portals that bring enemies in just loving all over the place.

etc etc. The supers they have are cool but none of them make you feel invincible, like you HUGELY outclass everything in the entire game, and I feel like for an Avengers game, that power fantasy should have never left sight of anyone working on it.

Hulk doesn't have the overwhelming strength he should for balance of course, but I found when you use Rage he feels very Hulk like because you can just not give a poo poo about what's hitting you while he smashes stuff to bits.

I definitely feel the Ultimate thing. Hulkbuster is cool but functionally just a damage buff. Widow's is just a damage buff. Cap's is just a small AoE and then a damage buff. Kamala? Damage buff.

Hulk's and Thor's are cool.

Seedge posted:

You can't add a bunch of GaaS characters to a game called Fantastic Four that would be illegal.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Seedge posted:

I think the problem with the fantastic four though, has always been that they are boring as poo poo. They absolutely couldn't compare to literally anyone, ever, because they are the most milquetoast superheros of all time. The ONLY redeeming feature about them is their rogues gallery, because it includes Silver Surfer and DOOM. Id honestly rather the roster was some stupid crossover called STRETCHERS consisting solely of Plastic Man, Elongated Man, Kamela Kahn and Paper Doll, than it was the fantastic 4.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Fantastic 4 need a blockbuster movie to set itself positively in the public eye, and it has failed spectacularly the several times it tried.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, maybe? I think they'll be mutants with the serial numbers filed off like in MCU, though, because they threw out half of the Inhumans lore so that this game could treat them like how Marvel universe generally treats mutants. Although I suppose they could be saving "Black Bolt is super upset about what America did to his people" for a later event.

Eh, the Royal Family living off on the moon and not getting involved could still happen. The resistance symbol closely resembles Black Bolt's too. And I think with the end boss, they're working to expand beyond Earth.

But the best reason to get the family in the game is so that Lockjaw can start hanging around with Kamala.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the fantastic four own you heathens

can you imagine how much more fun you'd have playing as the thing than the hulk

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just think of the rock pallete swaps you could have for costumes!!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Empress Brosephine posted:

the fantastic four own you heathens

can you imagine how much more fun you'd have playing as the thing than the hulk

Yeah, and then instead of jobbing to guys in hazmat suits with flashlights, you could job to the Yancy Street gang throwing pies at you.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Relax, we're already getting a member of the Fantastic 4.

On PS4.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

HebrewMagic posted:

Relax, we're already getting a member of the Fantastic 4.

On PS4.

We're getting The Amazing Bag Man?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Thats future foundation!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Uhh we have a member of the Fantastic Four available on all platforms.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I did the elite heroic hive last night. Its the final multiplayer (but you have to do it solo with AI) mission where you go through a 14 floor hive.

You're supposed to get an exotic gear item when you beat it. I didn't, and according to what I've seen on reddit, either you get that exotic gear or you don't. No one has gotten more then 1 exotic, and no one has proof of exotics dropping as random loot anywhere else.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I did the elite heroic hive last night. Its the final multiplayer (but you have to do it solo with AI) mission where you go through a 14 floor hive.

You're supposed to get an exotic gear item when you beat it. I didn't, and according to what I've seen on reddit, either you get that exotic gear or you don't. No one has gotten more then 1 exotic, and no one has proof of exotics dropping as random loot anywhere else.

Are you "supposed to" get the exotic, or is it just in the gear table for the rewards? Has anyone gotten an exotic from a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. clear of the heroic hive?

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
My only real complaint so far is the matchmaking. Even "quick" match takes forever to find one or two players. I thought initially that maybe I had just focused too much on one character (Hulk) and that not many players were around my power level, but same thing with lower-level guys.

So what I'm saying is, do we have a discord or anything?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Are you "supposed to" get the exotic, or is it just in the gear table for the rewards? Has anyone gotten an exotic from a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. clear of the heroic hive?

When I cleared it I got 25 Polychoron and 50 Upgrade Modules. No gear. Challenge 1 difficulty, 100% mission score.

Guaranteed reward says "Specialty Gear", so I think you are supposed to get an exotic. There's been no proof of anyone clearing it multiple times and getting another exotic.

The developers haven't explained how exotics drop and havent commented on this mission. No one knows.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

When I cleared it I got 25 Polychoron and 50 Upgrade Modules. No gear. Challenge 1 difficulty, 100% mission score.

Guaranteed reward says "Specialty Gear", so I think you are supposed to get an exotic. There's been no proof of anyone clearing it multiple times and getting another exotic.

The developers haven't explained how exotics drop and havent commented on this mission. No one knows.

They might drop in those raids they previewed recently that require max gear score.

Namaer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 8, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I honestly haven’t touched the multiplayer yet because everytime I turned it on it just searches and doesn’t get anybody. I like doing the side missions for the first time myself and when I finally have that all done maybe I’ll try just doing random joins to play. Ideally it’s probably just best to try get friends (online or IRL) to play.

It’s a shame multiplayer is so botched because I’m loving the game.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m okay with exotics being a mystery for now. I think it’s fun to chase mythical OP gear and gather info.

So I’ve been using Thor as a main for now, and when he gets going he shreds. And pinning troublesome enemies (like Stilettos) and punching them to death is so satisfying.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted

Liar Lyre posted:

I’m okay with exotics being a mystery for now. I think it’s fun to chase mythical OP gear and gather info.

So I’ve been using Thor as a main for now, and when he gets going he shreds. And pinning troublesome enemies (like Stilettos) and punching them to death is so satisfying.

That's one of the main reasons i'm absolutely enamored with Hulk. Grabbing two stilletos and swinging them about with reckless abandon before smashing them into each other and causing a massive shockwave is top five current gaming experiences level

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess I pre-ordered too late from Amazon because I never got the code for the legacy outfit pack(seems like it’s tied to the beta code). I really wanted that cap skin

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dr. Bonertron posted:

My only real complaint so far is the matchmaking. Even "quick" match takes forever to find one or two players. I thought initially that maybe I had just focused too much on one character (Hulk) and that not many players were around my power level, but same thing with lower-level guys.

So what I'm saying is, do we have a discord or anything?
I've had a handful of times where it almost instantly filled up with all four players being humans. But every time I've seen that, I've either run into the bug where you can never start the mission, or ran into the bug where you get an infinite loading screen on the way to the mission.

I kind of like doing all the story ones alone the first time so I don't have to worry about some rando rushing ahead and skipping parts, but at this point it would be really nice to be able to play with actual people instead of the AI.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RatHat posted:

I guess I pre-ordered too late from Amazon because I never got the code for the legacy outfit pack(seems like it’s tied to the beta code). I really wanted that cap skin

If it was from Amazon, reach out to their support. I dunno if it's something they can resolve for you, but they're usually pretty good about it. From what I can find online, it doesn't seem like the code itself was time limited?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zaodai posted:

If it was from Amazon, reach out to their support. I dunno if it's something they can resolve for you, but they're usually pretty good about it. From what I can find online, it doesn't seem like the code itself was time limited?

Yeah I might, but someone on reddit with the same problem said they just kept getting referred back and forth between SE support and Amazon.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RatHat posted:

Yeah I might, but someone on reddit with the same problem said they just kept getting referred back and forth between SE support and Amazon.

Ah, that's a shame. SE support is legendarily awful, so good luck if it gets sent there, but at least it should be easy to prove to Amazon it was a pre-order so it's at least worth taking it far enough for them to tell you straight up you have to go into the maw of the lion.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dr. Bonertron posted:

That's one of the main reasons i'm absolutely enamored with Hulk. Grabbing two stilletos and swinging them about with reckless abandon before smashing them into each other and causing a massive shockwave is top five current gaming experiences level

Hulk is good. There are pretty much no situations he can't deal with really well. I'm pretty much always beating the most dangerous guy to death with the 2 next most dangerous guys. Bunch of shields? Giant boulder swing that breaks them all at once. Everything I'm fighting is always knocked down, knocked into the air, or REALLY knocked into the air and flying a hundred yards away. I'm also getting massive life refills from all my skills and my rage meter and especially takedowns, and I'm laying down massive gamma radiation fields that are draining everything I've taunted.

The only thing that sucks is fighting supervillains and that's just cause it's long and boring. Punch punch punch maybe dodge if I feel like it punch punch punch regen sure why not punch punch punch oh he's dead

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm still in the middle of the campaign, how necessary is it to do these side missions? I'd like to focus on the campaign first if that's possible.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

g0del posted:

I've had a handful of times where it almost instantly filled up with all four players being humans. But every time I've seen that, I've either run into the bug where you can never start the mission, or ran into the bug where you get an infinite loading screen on the way to the mission.

I kind of like doing all the story ones alone the first time so I don't have to worry about some rando rushing ahead and skipping parts, but at this point it would be really nice to be able to play with actual people instead of the AI.

So for ps4 pals, be my gamer tag is the same as my screen name here, there's a couple other goons I've teamed with who are cool and good and I've got some irl people to play with too.

Hulk knock up/downs is why I want to kit him out with cold procs. He's my number 2 after widow.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 8, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm still in the middle of the campaign, how necessary is it to do these side missions? I'd like to focus on the campaign first if that's possible.

Finish the story first. Nothing goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

They usually just give you some gear or cosmetics or something. I think the enemies in campaign mostly scale to your level so you can do whatever you want really.