Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

code:
,-\__
|f-"Y\    ___________________
\()7L/   |     ¡Sé goat!     |
 cgD     |  ¡Haz el crimen!  |  __ _
 |\(     -------------------- .'  Y '>,
  \ \                \       / _   _   \
   \\\                \      )(_) (_)(|}
    \\\                      {  4A   } /
     \\\                      \uLuJJ/\l
      \\\                     |3    p)/
       \\\___ __________      /nnm_n//
        c7___-__,__-)\,__)(".  \_>-<_/D
                   //V     \_"-._.__G G-c__.-__<"/ ( \
                          <"-._>__-,G_.___)\   \7\
                         ("-.__.|  \"<.__.-" )   \ \
                         |"-.__"\  |"-.__.-".\   \ \
                         ("-.__"".  \"-.__.-".|    \_\
                          \"-.__""|!|"-.__.-".)     \ \
                          "-.__""\_|"-.__.-"./      \ l
                           ".__""">G>-.__.-">       .--,_/D
                               ""  G
EDIT:
Dammit, you quoted it before I improved it!

Karia has issued a correction as of 10:10 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tias posted:

Thank you comrade Goat

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Karia posted:

code:
,-\__
|f-"Y\    ___________________
\()7L/   |     ¡Sé goat!     |
 cgD     |  ¡Haz el crimen!  |  __ _
 |\(     -------------------- .'  Y '>,
  \ \                \       / _   _   \
   \\\                \      )(_) (_)(|}
    \\\                      {  4A   } /
     \\\                      \uLuJJ/\l
      \\\                     |3    p)/
       \\\___ __________      /nnm_n//
        c7___-__,__-)\,__)(".  \_>-<_/D
                   //V     \_"-._.__G G-c__.-__<"/ ( \
                          <"-._>__-,G_.___)\   \7\
                         ("-.__.|  \"<.__.-" )   \ \
                         |"-.__"\  |"-.__.-".\   \ \
                         ("-.__"".  \"-.__.-".|    \_\
                          \"-.__""|!|"-.__.-".)     \ \
                          "-.__""\_|"-.__.-"./      \ l
                           ".__""">G>-.__.-">       .--,_/D
                               ""  G
EDIT:
Dammit, you quoted it before I improved it!

EDIT:
I gotchu <3

Korean Boomhauer has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Sep 6, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
the kids are all right I stole this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wizzardstaff posted:

the kids are all right I stole this

Lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Only thing that would've been better is if the goat had taken a poo poo in the car.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zeroisanumber posted:

Only thing that would've been better is if the goat had taken a poo poo in the car.

I think the poo poo was out of the car serving papers.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
'A momentous milestone': Africa now free from wild polio virus

quote:

Health authorities have declared Africa free of the wild polio virus after decades of efforts, a major step in the campaign to eradicate the crippling viral disease worldwide.

Tuesday's historic announcement by the African Regional Certification Commission for Polio Eradication during a World Health Organization (WHO) event came four years after the continent's last case was reported in northern Nigeria.

The commission, an independent body, confirmed that all 47 countries in the WHO's Africa region have eradicated the disease that attacks the nervous system and can cause irreversible paralysis within hours.
It's not polio-free but having no reservoirs is an unqualified Good Thing

Kid's book about the world's oldest marathon runner is the first by a major publisher to center on a Sikh character

quote:

That book is "Fauja Singh Keeps Going," published Tuesday by Penguin Random House. It tells the real-life story of Fauja Singh, a British Sikh centenarian who in 2011 became the oldest person believed to have run a marathon.
It's the first children's picture book by a major publisher to center on a Sikh story, according to the author, and was produced by an all-South Asian team.

[...]

The story begins in the humble village in Punjab, India, where Fauja Singh was born and raised in the early 1900s. Color illustrations by UK-based artist Baljinder Kaur help bring the story to life.
The book chronicles the challenges Fauja Singh faced as a young child, from the birth defect that prevented him from walking until age 5 to how his disability hindered him from getting an education to his persistent efforts to build up his own strength.

[...]

"I'm now 108 years old, which means I'm probably more than 100 years older than you. Can you believe that?" the message from Fauja Singh reads.
Though Fauja Singh does not know how to read and does not speak English, Simran Jeet Singh said he played a role in shaping the story. Singh and his team communicated with the centenarian through his running coach Harmander Singh, who would translate the text for him into Punjabi.

More Americans say they are regularly wearing masks in stores and other businesses

quote:

As the coronavirus pandemic continues, a growing share of Americans say they are regularly wearing a mask or face covering in stores and other businesses. More than eight-in-ten U.S. adults (85%) say they have done so all or most of the time over the past month, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted Aug. 3 to 16. When asked the same question in early June, 65% of Americans said they had been regularly wearing masks.

More via the goodnewsletter

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

"A goat with no respect for authority" :allears:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GOAT right there

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tunicate posted:

GOAT right there

Goatest Of All Time

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A girl in Malaysia whose self-made enterprise didn't get a lot of attention at first, tried again, and went viral

https://twitter.com/domwastrash/status/1303160864036417537?s=19

E.
https://twitter.com/domwastrash/status/1303319049808486400?s=19

ThisIsJohnWayne has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Sep 8, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

dave grohl wrote a song for some little girl that plays the drums :3:

https://twitter.com/nandi_bushell/status/1305568424769269769

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that little girl plays the hell out of the drums

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A billionaire finally completed his mission of giving away all his money and officially closed his charitable foundation today

The Billionaire Who Wanted To Die Broke . . . Is Now Officially Broke

quote:

Charles “Chuck” Feeney, 89, who cofounded airport retailer Duty Free Shoppers with Robert Miller in 1960, amassed billions while living a life of monklike frugality. As a philanthropist, he pioneered the idea of Giving While Living—spending most of your fortune on big, hands-on charity bets instead of funding a foundation upon death. Since you can't take it with you—why not give it all away, have control of where it goes and see the results with your own eyes?
Over the last four decades, Feeney has donated more than $8 billion to charities, universities and foundations worldwide through his foundation, the Atlantic Philanthropies. When I first met him in 2012, he estimated he had set aside about $2 million for his and his wife's retirement.
While his philanthropy is out of business, its influence reverberates worldwide thanks to its big bets on health, science, education and social action. Where did $8 billion go? Feeney gave $3.7 billion to education, including nearly $1 billion to his alma mater, Cornell, which he attended on the G.I. Bill. More than $870 million went to human rights and social change, like $62 million in grants to abolish the death penalty in the U.S. and $76 million for grassroots campaigns supporting the passage of Obamacare. He gave more than $700 million in gifts to health ranging from a $270 million grant to improve public healthcare in Vietnam to a $176 million gift to the Global Brain Health Institute at the University of California, San Francisco.

While obviously a puff piece, you can see a list of some of the causes he ended up donating to.
https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/atlantic-advocacy-fund/

There's actually quite a few good ones on there, like funding the ballot initative in CA to end the death penalty, path to citizenship for undocumented workers, voter registration. He also donated to causes pushing for same-sex marriage legislation in Ireland

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I don't wanna bring down the happy thread, but it's impossible to amass that kind of wealth without exploitation. Stuff like that is always just propaganda against taxing the rich. He made his money by exploiting tax loopholes and was in business with Louis Vuitton. I'm glad he gave it away, but that doesn't cancel out how it was gained.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Also giving a billion dollars (1/8th of the pot) to JUST Cornell, an extremely affluent private school that almost no one who needs any kind of philanthropy could attend in the first place is, uh... yikes. I think the answer to that author's rhetorical question of "why not give it all away, have control of where it goes and see the results with your own eyes" is that "posthumous foundations are good because people who dragon hoard wealth through exploitation in the first place are the absolute worst judges of where it should go."

This is still much happier than the money just going to a new generation of goblin dynasty, though.

Unsinkabear has issued a correction as of 03:27 on Sep 16, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah, I apologize but this is basically a billionaire attempting to buy “indulgences” through philanthropy in a desperate bid to get into heaven.

it has the same energy as those “4th grader sells lemonade to pay for sisters Chemo” stories that idiots think of as heartwarming instead as damning indictments of our society.

anyway for happiness I found out that there’s a bunch of Muslims who buy separate prayer rugs for their cats

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, cats enjoy doing stuff with the 'family' a lot of the time so if everyone's sitting on a rug and looking in a certain direction for a little bit, it's not odd for kitty to want to join in, hence kitty prayer rugs. :3:

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

posting West rear end Pussy in the happy thread

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Noblesse Obliged posted:

posting West rear end Pussy in the happy thread

lol

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, cats enjoy doing stuff with the 'family' a lot of the time so if everyone's sitting on a rug and looking in a certain direction for a little bit, it's not odd for kitty to want to join in, hence kitty prayer rugs. :3:

Obligatory Happy Islam Cat Fable Time!

Once Muezza (or Muʿizza; Arabic: معزة‎) was the prophet Muhammad's favorite cat. Muhammad awoke one day to the sounds of the adhan. Preparing to attend prayer, he began to dress himself; however, he soon discovered his cat Muezza sleeping on the sleeve of his prayer robe. Rather than wake her, he used a pair of scissors to cut the sleeve off, leaving the cat undisturbed. Petting it nine times, he gave the blessing to all it's children that they would have nine lives and always land on their feet :kimchi:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
holy cow is that where the 9 lives thing comes from originally? or does 9 lives predate their holy texts and it gets worked into other ancient histories?

very cool!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Tias posted:

Once Muezza (or Muʿizza; Arabic: معزة‎) was the prophet Muhammad's favorite cat. Muhammad awoke one day to the sounds of the adhan. Preparing to attend prayer, he began to dress himself; however, he soon discovered his cat Muezza sleeping on the sleeve of his prayer robe. Rather than wake her, he used a pair of scissors to cut the sleeve off, leaving the cat undisturbed. Petting it nine times, he gave the blessing to all it's children that they would have nine lives and always land on their feet :kimchi:

Dawwww

Also this happened last night and it's pretty banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srZdDAJbHfc

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bust Rodd posted:

holy cow is that where the 9 lives thing comes from originally? or does 9 lives predate their holy texts and it gets worked into other ancient histories?

very cool!

It's an attribuation, which is to say that islamic tradition may have gotten 9 lives from other folklore and started repeating it into their own stories.

I don't know, really. It's definitely the oldest attribuation I have heard for that story, but I don't know when it was recorded.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Tias posted:

I've heard that extended to say that that's why cats have M-shaped patterns on their forehead fur, in honor of Muhammad. Then again, there's also the exact same story about a Chinese emperor and his favorite male concubine, so it's probably apocryphal.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arabic and Chinese, both of which famously have M

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Tias posted:

in my mid-20s, I moved in with a sunni Muslim friend of mine from Iraq. I prepared his post-fast yogurt drink and the meal and whatnot during the holy month. Anyway, he said we could (with our respective live in girlfriends) adopt a cat each. my cat had cat aids so he and his girlfriend put their kitten in a hamster ball and they tried to play together lmao

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Karia posted:

I've heard that extended to say that that's why cats have M-shaped patterns on their forehead fur, in honor of Muhammad. Then again, there's also the exact same story about a Chinese emperor and his favorite male concubine, so it's probably apocryphal.

Nah it's because they made a deal with Babidi

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kitfox88 posted:

Dawwww

That's a 3 hour video.

Was there any particular part that was blessed?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's a 3 hour video.

Was there any particular part that was blessed?

They clearly like the concert as a whole no need to be snarky in the happy thread.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

What if being snarky makes them happy?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

An insane mind posted:

What if being snarky makes them happy?

then go hog wild

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

the entire thing rocks but a few comments down someone time stamped each song if you have a particular tune you dig from the game. death by glamour, heartache, spider dance, undertake, asgore, your favorite nightmare, and hopes and dreams into save the world are all standouts

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Normy posted:

They clearly like the concert as a whole no need to be snarky in the happy thread.

Not actually being snarky, just asking because "this happened last night" suggested a specific event and I wasn't sure if the OP had just forgotten to add a timestamp.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Not actually being snarky, just asking because "this happened last night" suggested a specific event and I wasn't sure if the OP had just forgotten to add a timestamp.

Naw, the entire live concert happened was all

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

Dawwww

thanks a ton for linking this. people have been talkign about it all over and i wasnt sure where to find it

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

al-azad posted:

My boy announced on his Facebook in 2016 that he would do ICE cases pro bono and last year he purposefully missed every deadline with a client who was trying to evict a man with four kids on Christmas until she was forced to fire him and threaten a bar complaint but it was enough time to give the guy a chance to find a new place and like... there are good people in the world.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Please someone share some happy news. Please?