Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hooman posted:

Given that it is being discontinued

Well, poo poo. Finally about to have walking-around money, too.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Giant Ethicist posted:

Escalation is really really good, and continues the core box storyline directly. The smaller boxes (Traitor Command, Dreaded Ambull, No Respite and most recently Deadly Alliance) are more side-questy, and while fun additions to the game don't really have anywhere near the same bang for the buck Escalation has. The card-only expansions are generally regarded as not really worth getting though.

Thanks very much.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

New stuff for Underworlds

2-5 players, single fighter each. Double-sided board and 40 universal power cards.

New season boxed set with Lumineth and Hedonites

Seraphon warband teaser

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yes, lizardmen were the faction I was hoping for the most in next season. Love it if they squeeze a krox in there, but I guess skinks and saurus.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I just realized its quiver is a very unfortunate dart frog, amazing

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

lilljonas posted:

Yes, lizardmen were the faction I was hoping for the most in next season. Love it if they squeeze a krox in there, but I guess skinks and saurus.

Give me a handful of Skinks and a Krox you cowards :mad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Winklebottom posted:

Seraphon warband teaser

:perfect:

Winklebottom posted:

I just realized its quiver is a very unfortunate dart frog, amazing

:allears:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Is there an easy way to see what products are going out of production?

Also is this the thread for warcry chat? I have mostly no idea how that or Underworlds work but I'll almost certainly have to get the new starter set plus the chameleon skink party

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Is there an easy way to see what products are going out of production?

Also is this the thread for warcry chat? I have mostly no idea how that or Underworlds work but I'll almost certainly have to get the new starter set plus the chameleon skink party

Sometimes there are announcements of ”last chance to buy”, sometimes not.

Warcry chat away. I haven’t bought it but got Underworlds just at the start of covid. Planning to play games once things calm down. This far I like the concept as a painter, as buying and painting a handful of minis without the committment of a whole army is very neat.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

lilljonas posted:

Warcry chat away. I haven’t bought it but got Underworlds just at the start of covid. Planning to play games once things calm down. This far I like the concept as a painter, as buying and painting a handful of minis without the committment of a whole army is very neat.

Yeah that's kind of what's got me back into this after years, the squads and box sets seem like good value compared to the old way of spending...a lot... on one army

I don't have any of the warcry/underworlds stuff yet but thinking about starting with the splintered fang and then some sort of night goblins underworlds squad - lots of options there though

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
War Cry is... eh, I really wanted to like it.

If you want a low model count game, with some of the best sculpts GW has released outside of Underworlds, and happy to rinse through multiple games in one night, it's great. It's really imbalanced though, so you ought to keep the War Cry-only warbands away from the AoS ones.

The draw one card each for mission, scenery, twist could have been a good system but all-too-often can make a really weird setup or a configuration that is so stacked against one warband. As long as you're playing against somebody who's happy to redraw until you have something more balanced, or happy to suck it up, get it done, and start a new one as soon as possible, then it can still be enjoyable.

At one point GW were pushing the idea of competitive play, which wouldn't work. I played three games trying it as a competitive game, one was ruined by the card system, the other two came down to who won initiative for the third turn.

It didn't really last very long at my club, as it pretty much needed one person to bring the bespoke terrain/board/tokens etc. in a way that you don't have to with other skirmish games.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

lilljonas posted:

This has been my experience with Underworlds as well. The game seems really well designed (despite getting hammered in all of the three games I've played so far) and the cheap, bite-sized warbands are a perfect size for a project. I'm working in my fifth warband now, and it's been a lot of fun to just switch gears after 4-6 models and move on to something different. That, and having a bunch if warbands laying around means that I can host games for people who are interested but don't necessarily want to invest in models etc.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I painted up the first ork warband, now i have the ogre one in my painting queue. It had a bunch of cute gnoblars so I look forward to it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I've done the beastmen, Kharadrons, fyreslayers and Mollog and his pets, and I'm working on the goblins now. I'm not sure what's next- the chainrasps are cool, but I would probably have to hit eBay to find their cards.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Double post, but here's 4/9 of Zarbag's Gitz!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, sorry if this type of question-asking isn't appreciated in here, but I'm just wondering if anyone can offer input into a Necron Kill Team I'm putting together for my partner. At this stage I've bought a pack of Immortals for her, and I'm getting a Lynchguard to be her team leader. (Technically it's an overlord, but I'll modify it slightly and base it appropriately) I'm wondering if this is a reasonable list:

Lynchguard - x1 (w/ Warscythe)
Immortal - x2 (w/ Gauss Blaster)
Immortal - x2 (w/ Tesla Carbine)
Deathmark - x1 (w/ Disintegrator rifle)

I figure this should be a fairly balanced team, but as I've only ever played with IG, I honestly have no idea. As for opponents, there's me with IG, a couple of people with marines, as well as a couple of others who are indecisive - however they're likely to be IG, Tau or Genestealers.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
If you're able to, I might suggest a few cheaper bodies, either Flayed Ones or Warriors, so you have some more board presence. But I've not played as Necrons in Kill Team myself, only against them a couple times. What you have sounds like a good starting point and should be a flexible core to use!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, yeah fair enough - I'll have to see what models I can actually get (seems like Necrons are more expensive, these days? I'm sure I remember them being a cheaper, a while back) and slot some in. Maybe replace a Telsa Immortal for a couple of Warriors, or something? (Depending on point costs, anyway. I'm at work so I can't check that yet)

EDIT: Alright, so I've bought a pack of Necron Warriors. I'll convert 2-3 to be Flayers I think (I'll style them to be more like regular necrons but with blades for hands/forearms. And I'll put a lot of blood on them, to differentiate them from the warriors, since personally I'm not a huge fan of the "flayers are covered in random peoples' skin flaps" look) and use the rest as warriors, then she can have a much better selection to pick and choose from. Thanks for the advice!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 27, 2020

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, yeah fair enough - I'll have to see what models I can actually get (seems like Necrons are more expensive, these days? I'm sure I remember them being a cheaper, a while back) and slot some in. Maybe replace a Telsa Immortal for a couple of Warriors, or something? (Depending on point costs, anyway. I'm at work so I can't check that yet)

EDIT: Alright, so I've bought a pack of Necron Warriors. I'll convert 2-3 to be Flayers I think (I'll style them to be more like regular necrons but with blades for hands/forearms. And I'll put a lot of blood on them, to differentiate them from the warriors, since personally I'm not a huge fan of the "flayers are covered in random peoples' skin flaps" look) and use the rest as warriors, then she can have a much better selection to pick and choose from. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, the recent release probably pushed their prices up for second hand stuff. Being one of the only factions with a proper codex + starter set means people are playing necrons again. And GWs prices have just been creeping up in general.

I'm with you on the flayed ones look. The wraith kit might be a good source of slashy bits if you can find a busted one on eBay for cheap. Or the lychguard swords.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
so if i'm starting totally blank-slate, nothing but a bunch of bits for conversion and an interest in the delaque aesthetic, where do i start with necromunda?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

so if i'm starting totally blank-slate, nothing but a bunch of bits for conversion and an interest in the delaque aesthetic, where do i start with necromunda?

There was a decent flow chart on reddit, but I think it largely depends on if you have humans to play against, terrain, or if like me you are hoping for your wife to play.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Goonhammer

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Is there any way to get hold of the floor tiles from the original Necromunda Underhive box? I'm not fussed for the originals, just a rough idea of how the tiles were laid out. I got Dark Uprising but fancy making some board tiles and they seem like a good starting point.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

chippocrates posted:

Is there any way to get hold of the floor tiles from the original Necromunda Underhive box? I'm not fussed for the originals, just a rough idea of how the tiles were laid out. I got Dark Uprising but fancy making some board tiles and they seem like a good starting point.

This random store is where I pulled pictures of the tiles from when I started planning making my own.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The Orlock sneak-peaks look hilariously stupid (by which I mean awesome):

Orlocks continue to be the coolest.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Schadenboner posted:

As someone who just started my first gang and chose Orlocks, I'm pretty pumped. And the rules on the jump packs look pretty sweet.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How active are the games like Necromunda / Kill Team / Warcry in most areas? I've always wanted to get into the gaming side of the hobby but I'm an excruciatingly slow painter and just don't have the time, money, or space for the gigantic armies that 40k / AoS require nowadays.

The smaller games seem like they'd be perfect for me, but I don't want to end up getting into games that nobody actually plays.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm legit sad that Imperial Guard Assault Squads (with jump-packs) didn't make it past RT (there were Assault Squads in the 2E boxed set rules but IIRC not the 2E IG Codex?).

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Schadenboner posted:

I'm legit sad that Imperial Guard Assault Squads (with jump-packs) didn't make it past RT (there were Assault Squads in the 2E boxed set rules but IIRC not the 2E IG Codex?).

Same. I was thinking about building out my Orlocks onto a 500ish point Warhammer army, just for fun. But I can't figure out what the jump packs would be used as.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How active are the games like Necromunda / Kill Team / Warcry in most areas? I've always wanted to get into the gaming side of the hobby but I'm an excruciatingly slow painter and just don't have the time, money, or space for the gigantic armies that 40k / AoS require nowadays.

The smaller games seem like they'd be perfect for me, but I don't want to end up getting into games that nobody actually plays.

There’s no way to generalize that. Check your local game stores and or meetup groups online to see.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think it really depends on your area/store. Around me, I think KT has a decently active community. I know a lot of people bought the Warcry starter and Dark Uprising, but I've never seen either game played in store. Your best bet is probably finding a local group on Facebook and seeing what folks are into.

Even if people aren't actively playing those games, they might be in the same spot you are. Get some terrain and two small forces together, and post that you're bringing them if anyone wants to play. I did that a couple times with the Warcry starter box before the pandemic, and got a few people interested enough to buy a warband.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

thocan posted:

Same. I was thinking about building out my Orlocks onto a 500ish point Warhammer army, just for fun. But I can't figure out what the jump packs would be used as.

IG Jump Pack Assault Squads also had rules in Space Marine (which I think was the first version of Epic) as well, and these guys look :black101: af:

E: Armies Of The Imperium (1991), p.51

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 8, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Schadenboner posted:

Mad Max version of The Shredder looking good.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

IG Jump Pack Assault Squads also had rules in Space Marine (which I think was the first version of Epic) as well, and these guys look :black101: af:

Andy Chambers and I got into an argument over this image at a Games Day about 100 years ago. He claimed that 1) SM backpacks were not jump packs (frankly it was murky back then, but those sure look like the same backpacks); and 2) that IG never had any art showing jump packs.

In your face, Andy Chambers!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

berzerkmonkey posted:

Andy Chambers and I got into an argument over this image at a Games Day about 100 years ago. He claimed that 1) SM backpacks were not jump packs (frankly it was murky back then, but those sure look like the same backpacks); and 2) that IG never had any art showing jump packs.

In your face, Andy Chambers!

:yeah:

E: Seems like P. 14 (op. cit.) refers to Assault Marines as having "jump-packs" so there's that, too?

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 8, 2020

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

:yeah:

E: Seems like P. 14 (op. cit.) refers to Assault Marines as having "jump-packs" so there's that, too?

:shrug:

Yeah, in the old stuff, it seemed the standard SM backpack was a short range jump pack, while the longer range flight pack was the big turbine system you'd see on HH models and some Raptors. At some point GW retconned this and made the SM pack a life support / power system for their armor. Like I said, it was really murky back then, because there was a lot of artistic license going on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The old backpacks were meant to stabilize marines in weird gravity or keep them from falling over.

Probably the tech would work for letting a guardsman fly, since they only weigh like 1/8th what a marine does.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Spent the long weekend painting up a printed Eldar fleet for BFG in some classic Biel-Tan colors.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Armies of the Imperium was an expansion for the second edition of Space Marine, which was the second edition of Epic. (The original Space Marine was an expansion for the first edition, just to make things confusing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Slave Ogryn seem cool as heck. It's a shame they only printed like twelve sets of cards and they all sold out.