Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know who that person is, but I hope that's real.

I don't know that it's verified, but this is what the response to that was.

https://twitter.com/RythianWrites/status/1303421787091464192

So, what seems to have happened is that Adult Swim cleared their roster and this was known about likely right after Mike Lazzo retired and negotiations have probably been ongoing since then (possibly first for something on Adult Swim and then progressing to HBO Max.)

Then that tweet from Ken Plume hit last week. I'm gonna guess Doc and Jackson weren't allowed to talk about the status while they were negotiating, but Ken knew through some means and forced the hand of the announcement via the tweet which in turn has drummed up support for the show to bolster the negotiating position.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was just a little bit staged as a "Prove that people want more and we'll continue talking to you about it."

There was this tweet as well:

https://twitter.com/RythianWrites/status/1303427751383379968

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
If it goes on a streaming service, will it still get the physical releases with the hilarious commentary tracks ? Man, those were like a second serving of the show, and only a few months after the season had stopped airing too!

I also wonder if Hammer and Publick would be ready to compromise and hire a team of writers if it gets picked up by another distributor ? That doesn't seem likely, but hey, you never know...

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 8, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

X_Toad posted:

I also wonder if Hammer and Publick would be ready to compromise and hire a team of writers if it gets picked up by another distributor ? That doesn't seem likely, but hey, you never know...

Gotta assume anybody who picks them up knows what they're getting and knows better than to pick a fight they won't win.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

This is just dreadful news. I can’t think of a single thing I’d less have wanted to end its run without reaching a proper conclusion.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the whole andy warhol / legion of doom riff from season six is entirely perfect

pretentious, conceptual performance arching

e: also think tank arranging an entire duel of wits with rusty over chess and it turns out rusty has no idea how to play chess

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

X_Toad posted:

If it goes on a streaming service, will it still get the physical releases with the hilarious commentary tracks ? Man, those were like a second serving of the show, and only a few months after the season had stopped airing too!

They could still record them for the service, it'd be weird but do able. They could also just record them and throw them up online and you have to play them when you start the episode. They could probably even charge like $10 and do it on kickstarter. I bet HBO would love some physical media money though so I don't see why DVDs would be off the table. Will there be a complete boxset for the adult swim seasons? I'd kind of like a complete pack in a bust of 21.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

the whole andy warhol / legion of doom riff from season six is entirely perfect

pretentious, conceptual performance arching

talking about missing the references, i don't know much about Warhol or the Factory so of course after i watched that I had to go look up a bunch of poo poo so i could match each character to their real life counterpart.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure there could be a proper conclusion to the Venture Bros. But this season being cancelled is particularly bitting after the two seasons' worth of teasing about the Monarch and Rusty's possibly being related, Hank learning more info about his mom in one episode than they ever did beforehand and the tease with the Red Helper and a possible Rusty clone.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

X_Toad posted:

I'm not sure there could be a proper conclusion to the Venture Bros.

To be fair, Operation P.R.O.M. exists, so we already kind of have that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

talking about missing the references, i don't know much about Warhol or the Factory so of course after i watched that I had to go look up a bunch of poo poo so i could match each character to their real life counterpart.

i'm not like an andy warhol fan but i knew enough about him and his entourage/scene for that whole episode to keep punching me right in the mouth

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

i'm not like an andy warhol fan but i knew enough about him and his entourage/scene for that whole episode to keep punching me right in the mouth

It’s just a shame that Val from Dia De Los Muertes! wasn’t around to take him out at the end. Though that might have been pushing the references a bit too far.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, solanas was famous for shooting warhol, but warhol was not famous for getting shot by solanas so it would have been a bit flat

i kept expecting some kind of velvet underground cameo to pop up given how musically oriented doc and jackson are but i guess that also would have been too obvious

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Time to sacrifice to the blood god to make this happen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hank, stop riding The Blood God!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO I imagine HBO Max will ask “how many HBO Max subscriptions will your fans purchase if we pick you up?” and the response is gonna be...

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/RythianWrites/status/1303437084116611074?s=20
https://twitter.com/RythianWrites/status/1303439429890179072?s=20
https://twitter.com/RythianWrites/status/1303449461998354435?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The name for a Venture Bros. movie should be Venture Bros.: IGNORE ME

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
can they call it The Venture Brothers

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
If HBO Max picks up VB, just think... nudity! So much cartoon nudity. Dozens of titties, and hundreds of dicks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Ventures. Drop the bros it's about the entire family malcolm rusty dean and hank oh and vatred

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Team Venture

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Hankco Presents: The Venture Show

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Order of the Triad: Venture to the MAX

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Rusty Venture Show

Or since this is HBO Max and we can get lewd(er) now; the Rusty Venture.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Go full sitcom: Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

pixaal posted:

The Ventures. Drop the bros it's about the entire family malcolm rusty dean and hank oh and vatred

You forgot Brock. I do not know how you did that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Huh, so it sounds like the reason the show got cancelled is because of streaming rights.

Capitalism is weird.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Venture Bros.: A Quibi Exclusive

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
*sighs*

Get their clones

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Huh, so it sounds like the reason the show got cancelled is because of streaming rights.

Capitalism is weird.

If that's true, it's dumb as hell. To cancel a show just because some other website gets it is stupid.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Why would they get their clothes?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

If that's true, it's dumb as hell. To cancel a show just because some other website gets it is stupid.

the other side of this is, it's very likely that Adult Swim is only technically "cancelling" Venture Bros and we're just going to get season 8 as season 1 of a technically-separate show called "The Ventures" or "Venture Bros: The End" or something.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the other side of this is, it's very likely that Adult Swim is only technically "cancelling" Venture Bros and we're just going to get season 8 as season 1 of a technically-separate show called "The Ventures" or "Venture Bros: The End" or something.
If this were the case I dont think Doc and Jackson would be saying the show was dead

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hughesta posted:

If this were the case I dont think Doc and Jackson would be saying the show was dead

well, Venture Bros technically would be dead. the new show would be a technically separate entity from VB.

it would be masterful trolling from Doc and Jackson if that's what they meant.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hughesta posted:

They may have to if that's what's happening. I doubt Hulu would press the legal question over Venture Bros, but the legal theory of "no this show has a new name so it's legally distinct" sounds shaky and that would be undermined by having the creators out there going "Don't worry we aren't really cancelled"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

They may have to if that's what's happening. I doubt Hulu would press the legal question over Venture Bros, but the legal theory of "no this show has a new name so it's legally distinct" sounds shaky and that would be undermined by having the creators out there going "Don't worry we aren't really cancelled"

the argument would basically be that they're separate shows, as the newer one is a revival of the original, just with a short time gap, and Hulu only has rights to the original run.

it has to be framed as cancelling and reviving the show for it to work.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
tl;dr: the hiatus continues, only this time it might be forever...for real this time.

And gently caress Adult Swim regardless

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
At this point I'm just going to do what Rusty would do in this situation, which is treat all parties involved with contempt and indifference, confident in the knowledge that poo poo will probably work itself out in the end somehow due to some 11th hour twist.

Whilst making this face the whole time of course:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cojawfee posted:

It is stupid and it sucks, but it does happen. From where I'm standing it looks like HBO Max is trying to kill Hulu and the Adult Swim shows are caught in the crossfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
"Orpheus? It's your landlord speaking. I'm being cancelled by a cliché"