Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

American McGay posted:

There's 14 characters you don't even unlock until well into the adventure maps lol. So no, you actually didn't see all the art assets five to ten hours in.

ImpAtom posted:

There are also alternate weapons (which are legitimately different playstyles which are effectively characters in their own right) which are also locked behind Adventure Mode stuff.

Maybe there was a character or a weapon that would have clicked with me but I just wasn't having fun. So yeah the endless sea of content wasn't that big of a draw (though I was impressed at first with how intimidatingly big the maps were)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think you just didnt like the base gameplay. hyrule warriors ahs a shitton of content but if you dont like the base gameplay that doesnt matter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Maybe there was a character or a weapon that would have clicked with me but I just wasn't having fun. So yeah the endless sea of content wasn't that big of a draw (though I was impressed at first with how intimidatingly big the maps were)

It's cool to not enjoy something. Just pointing out that there is a lot of stuff hidden behind adventure mode to give goals to go towards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I thought adventure mode was boring and tapped out after farting around through most of the first map

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

It's cool to not enjoy something.

...IT IS!?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey, has anyone played Telling Lies?

If this has ANYTHING to do with an Indian dad getting mad at his kid for eating sugar...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah as much as it pains me to say this but while I appreciate hyrule warriors and stuff
I just dont like musou games all that much. Unless they made massive changes to gameplay mechanics I’m likely not going to purchase this one...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Time to introduce Wa-Link

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Justin_Brett posted:

Man, I know Hyrule Warriors was the more popular of the two by far but thinking on it, it would have been nice to see another Fire Emblem Warriors that had a more even roster for the games.

Or a Dragon Quest Heroes 3 with actual co-op and not that insanity they put in 2 (and that someone thought would be good to copy and make even worse for the FF:CC remake).

Weedle posted:

link finally gets a real voice actor and it's andy milonakis

Only if all of Link's dialog has to be written by the 90s Zelda cartoon team.

And Tingle has to be voiced by Jon St. John.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey, has anyone played Telling Lies? Is it anything like Her Story? Because we really enjoyed that and I love finding new games to play with my partner. Also, would Paradise Killer be easily played with two people, wherein one controls and other helps along? The idea of an investigation could intrigue her, and she had a blast playing Obra Dinn alongside me.

Also Europe is offering a pre-order bonus for BotW Warriors. It's called a "louche de bonheur" in French and I have no idea what it could possibly be or what it's referencing.

The gameplay is essentially identical. I thought the story wasn’t quite as interesting, but I still enjoyed it.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The new Hyrule Warriors looks really compelling, but I've never played a musou game and I'm not sure if I'd be that into it. I love Zelda games, but I really like the exploration and discovery elements, which I suppose aren't going to be in this new game. On the other hand, the plot, setting, and characters look really neat, and I'm not opposed to trying new things.

I guess my question is: how can I figure out if I like musou games without spending any money right now? It looks like Hyrule Warriors doesn't have a demo. Should I just watch a Youtube video or something?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Len posted:

Does LM3 have a point of no return?

Yes, but the game makes it very obvious before that moment, and it makes a save right before said moment too, so you can play before that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The fact that the characters speak instructions in gibberish, combined with Hyrule Warriors having way more layers of instructions during battle then most Musou games, made it really hard to play for me. I wonder if the next one will be the same?

I've been stuck on one of Linkle's battles for like a year now. It's just constantly full of instructions and the map is completely covered with colors and circles and stuff and I can't keep track of which ones are higher priority than others, and then I find out that that chickens have been defeated and I've lost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

The new Hyrule Warriors looks really compelling, but I've never played a musou game and I'm not sure if I'd be that into it. I love Zelda games, but I really like the exploration and discovery elements, which I suppose aren't going to be in this new game. On the other hand, the plot, setting, and characters look really neat, and I'm not opposed to trying new things.

I guess my question is: how can I figure out if I like musou games without spending any money right now? It looks like Hyrule Warriors doesn't have a demo. Should I just watch a Youtube video or something?

Honestly just wait. Musou games go on sale all the time. You can try One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 the next time it goes on sale for like $5.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

The fact that the characters speak instructions in gibberish, combined with Hyrule Warriors having way more layers of instructions during battle then most Musou games, made it really hard to play for me. I wonder if the next one will be the same?

since the cutscenes have voice acting now they might have the battle commentary be voiced too.
the downside of this would be hearing a lot, lot more of breathy fake-British Zelda

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I definitely had information overload when I first played HW and the timed/deadline style of gameplay made me a bit anxious but I stuck with it because it was just so much drat fun and I'm glad I did.

It feels like Nintendo is more closely involved with the development of this one so it should hopefully have all those rough edges that usually come with the series smoothed over.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

(and that someone thought would be good to copy and make even worse for the FF:CC remake)

i must reiterate that as dreadful as the netplay in ff:cc is, nearly the entirety of the remaster was handled out-of-house by a mobile game developer in akihabara

tfw u realize the sucking chest wound known as ff:cc's netplay, is actually amazing when measured by the metric of "the last time the studio touched netplay, everything was probably asynchronus and essentially server ping-response based"

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Was there supposed to be a physical release of Crypt of the Necrodancer with all the Zelda DLC this year?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

This is pretty much where I’m at. I’m intrigued at some of the aspects of this new game, especially if it has an interesting story. But the gameplay never seemed like something I would enjoy.

I’ve ignored that feeling in the past when Bayonetta 1&2 came out for Switch and everybody was gushing about it so I just bit the bullet and bought it. Ended up really not liking the game at all. Just not my thing.

I’ll probably skip this too, despite Zelda being that “game series I’d buy an entire console for” franchise.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only if all of Link's dialog has to be written by the 90s Zelda cartoon team.

Voice acting aside I have wished ever since that series that Link was portrayed that way in the games.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey, has anyone played Telling Lies? Is it anything like Her Story? Because we really enjoyed that and I love finding new games to play with my partner. Also, would Paradise Killer be easily played with two people, wherein one controls and other helps along? The idea of an investigation could intrigue her, and she had a blast playing Obra Dinn alongside me.
i didn't purchase telling lies so i can't speak to whether it ends up being worth it but it looked tedious compared to her story. the parts i saw were conversations between 2 people except you only see one side of the conversation so there's a bunch of dead air where a person stares at the camera while someone you can't hear is talking to them. you can't layer videos to combine the audio and apparently the archiving/tagging is worse than in her story so i gave it a pass. anyone who's played it properly feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken about this or if it's changed since release. i thought her story's concept was good enough to overlook some iffy writing but if you have a higher opinion of the writing in barlow's games then you may be more inclined to give telling lies a go.

for paradise killer it might depend on what she likes about investigating. there's a lot to discover but the game never really asks you to deduce anything yourself the way obra dinn did. you can maybe speculate early on between yourselves when you still have only fragments of evidence but once you find all the evidence there is then you already know nearly all you're going to know about what happened. so if she likes sudden revelations that turn things on their head even into the trial stage like ace attorney or piecing information together through obscure hints like in obra dinn then there's not much of that but it's enjoyable in other ways that make up for it imo and it has one of the more interesting settings i've seen for a murder mystery.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My question about Paradise Killer is more, Is there a lot of text to read or not?

Night in the Woods, which is excellent, was something I really wanted to share with my partner, but there's just so much to read that it's not really a good game to play together, especially since we don't read at the same speeds and since reading is a much more personal act. Obra Dinn has very little text, it's fully interactive and she can just as easily direct me to where we go. Firewatch, which was also really fun together, is mainly done via voice acting (I don't even think it's skippable), and that helped us enjoy it at a pace together.

So in terms of interactivity, acting, text where does Paradise Killer fall, because while I may get it just for me, if it's something she'd enjoy it's a done deal.

paradise killer has more exploring than text but when you get to text there tends to be a lot of it and its voice acting is just a handful of catchphrases that play once in a while during dialogue. i like it and would recommend a purchase but telling lies is probably better for the experience you're describing, especially if there's a language barrier.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm in the same boat! I love the bits that make it look diablo-ish, but the talk about it playing like a moba sounds awful. I want to want musou zelda, but without a demo or insane sale on a similar game to try out, I'm not gonna risk $60

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Most musou games aren't very moba-like. They are fast paced action games with a series of simple objectives spread across a large map stuffed with dumb mooks. The vast majority of Warrior scenarios I've played have been relatively stress free. You are moving from objective to objective, but it isn't a speed run and you are usually given plenty of time to gently caress around in between.

Some of the extra modes and spinoff games like Empires and Gauntlet mode are sorta moba-like, but not in a bad way.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

It's not like the gameplay in musou games is that unique, they're 3d action games just with more open level layouts and a million grunts to plow through. If you like 3d action games then you will probably at least moderately enjoy the gameplay of a musou game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sorry to interrupt Hyrule Warriors chat, but has anyone here replaced the fan in their Switch? Is it hard? Mine is very loud and causes my system to vibrate which I’m sure is bad.

I don’t want to send it away for repair because then I would miss several days of Animal Crossing and I would not be ok with that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sorry to interrupt Hyrule Warriors chat, but has anyone here replaced the fan in their Switch? Is it hard? Mine is very loud and causes my system to vibrate which I’m sure is bad.

I don’t want to send it away for repair because then I would miss several days of Animal Crossing and I would not be ok with that.

You're gonna miss a fuckton more days of Animal Crossing if your Switch melts :ssh:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If I like phoenix wright will I like paradise killer? Looks cool but the character names are really bad. The art is ridiculous but I think I'm ok with that.

Maybe I should get obra dinn first, that's been on my "I gotta play it" list for a long time now

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You're gonna miss a fuckton more days of Animal Crossing if your Switch melts :ssh:

It’s been doing this for a long time and I mostly play docked so I’m not worried about that. I just want it to be quiet!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
How okay are you with unscrewing little objects, being careful with delicate connectors and keeping track of pieces? That's all it really is.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Maybe it’s just me, but Hyrule Warriors sounds like it has too much content. There are so many posts in this thread about goons dumping hundreds of hours into the game and still not seeing everything.

It’s great that the game has replay value but it’s very rare that I would put even 100 hours into a game, I barely even broke 100 for BotW and that’s one of the best games I’ve ever played. I think I might be in the minority though, I tend to prefer shorter games in general.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

KingSlime posted:

If I like phoenix wright will I like paradise killer? Looks cool but the character names are really bad. The art is ridiculous but I think I'm ok with that.

Maybe I should get obra dinn first, that's been on my "I gotta play it" list for a long time now

The main character in "Paradise Killer" says, "Nani the hell?!" throughout the game, therefore making it game of the decade.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

For people who are on the fence, definitely watch videos on YouTube first. I wasn't sure if I would like HW, bought it anyway, and basically what I was worried about was true and it wasn't my thing at all.

Cool looking games, but everyone has a taste. I think if you DO like this type of game, you'll love these.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well you can just do the story mode and call it there if you want. You won't get all the characters, but you'll see all the most interesting/unique levels and story content.

Or you can do something in between and do as much of adventure mode as you feel like before moving on. I do like adventure mode a lot but eventually even for me it gets a bit repetitive eventually. I never did complete absolutely everything but I got to play with all the characters a lot and I was satisfied.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Taito just announced a port of the recent Densha De Go for Switch, no release date yet for it though https://twitter.com/sqexdenshadego/status/1303513533934530560

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it a uh, train game?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hkDwa4KtVg

Gonna play the gently caress out of the Japanese train game on my PS5.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cojawfee posted:

Is it a uh, train game?

it is THE train game. It is a series that goes back to the PSX and had its own dedicated controller.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

KingSlime posted:

i like both but its non-linear structure is nearly the opposite of phoenix wright and i think people looking for a similar experience are going to be disappointed. in pw you have to figure out what the evidence is implying and present it at the right time, in pk all the evidence gets filed under the person it relates to and the only decisions you have to make in trial is which person you think is most guilty of which crime and all of the relevant evidence filed under that person gets presented. honestly i think the mystery and trial are the weakest aspects of the game but i've seen other people praise them so i can't say you will definitely dislike it. maybe try looking at a video of the demo to see if it's for you? also the character names are great actually.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zeether posted:

Taito just announced a port of the recent Densha De Go for Switch, no release date yet for it though https://twitter.com/sqexdenshadego/status/1303513533934530560

Unironically more interested in this than BOTW Prequel Musou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Wamdoodle posted:

it is THE train game. It is a series that goes back to the PSX and had its own dedicated controller.

So it's what Steel Battalion could have been.