Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Why is it called sand green anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The first phase is done. I feel like the Expert set instructions tend to obscure parts of the build and that leads to me sometimes bungling something and having to either tear down or bodge it, like the wall next to the stairs.

Never thought I'd spend hours building virtual Lego kits.

EDIT: At first I was happy because unlike the bookstore there's no spiral staircase... and now I see that the second floor has a spiral staircase. :argh:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 8, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I have that set and could just go look at it, but there's something weirdly satisfying about seeing it rendered realistically.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Are you building them for the challenge or to use them for something?

You know you can just insert most/all the official models directly into Stud.io? From what i've heard at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can import the parts, but you still have to build it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lego are concerned about the number of Ideas submissions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Virtual building sounds interesting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I hadn't touched Lego since the seventies, but after building the little street sweeper, I found this thread and the Studio software and have been building virtual sets for a few weeks.

The imports don't include stickers, and sometimes missing pieces do not show up in the error log so you have to dig through the master set for options, but it's fun. And at least for me it's challenging translating the instructions into a virtual world.

And cheaper!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Edited out as I fell for a prank.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Lego are concerned about the number of Ideas submissions.
Why? Just reject more of them. You just have a bigger selection to choose a new set from. There isn't (currently) an issue of too many really good ideas competing against one another, it's more like a few viable ones and 32 "thanks but no thanks."

Oh well, at least if they determine it is a real issue, it's an easily solved one. Bump the requirement to 12k or whatever and see what happens.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

But "objectively good" is not what is being voted on, user favorites are, with all the rose tinted googles and nostalgia affecting their votes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

Why? Just reject more of them. You just have a bigger selection to choose a new set from. There isn't (currently) an issue of too many really good ideas competing against one another, it's more like a few viable ones and 32 "thanks but no thanks."

Oh well, at least if they determine it is a real issue, it's an easily solved one. Bump the requirement to 12k or whatever and see what happens.

25k for existing IP.
10k for original ideas.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

25k for existing IP.
10k for original ideas.

While I sort of like raising the bar a bit for existing IP, I feel like that might just push it to an even worse popularity contest territory?

I might be more inclined to go the route of lowering the bar for original ideas, but I'd also need to see how many of the submissions in the recent thing were original.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
They should be able to raise it if they have data that says there are more active ideas voters than in the past. To me, it would be smart of them to not raise it, but instead to uncap it so they can perhaps get a better gauge of demand. Either way it's always going to be a popularity contest.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Going back a bit, but I was thinking about this today and if they don’t use this license to do a Bela LEGOsi why did they even bother?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just popped open a minifig bag and got the little mexican dude. Is this pinata the cutest thing ever???

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is it reasonably priced to buy individual blind bag minifigs online? Are there enough sellers of them that you can easily combine shipping? I think at $5 each I'd rather pay a little more and get the ones I know I want and not doubles.

If it's a rare-per-box figure I don't mind skipping it, not like I'd get one from a store at random anyway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Unless the figs are new you can get pretty much whichever one you want for around retail prices. Many for less than retail.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
There's a free 150 lego point quiz in the VIP section on harry potter. Not sure how to link it, it's under earn points section. Need to get 6 right out of 9.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

25k for existing IP.
10k for original ideas.

I've said it before, but ideas shouldn't allow existing ip and all (unless it's a LEGO IP) and Lego should set up a separate site that lets people vote on IPs they want Lego to see produce.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

veni veni veni posted:

I've said it before, but ideas shouldn't allow existing ip and all (unless it's a LEGO IP) and Lego should set up a separate site that lets people vote on IPs they want Lego to see produce.

Hoping and praying for my "Absolutely Fabulous" themed set.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

veni veni veni posted:

Funnily enough, Lego IP is one thing they do block, at least sometimes. I'm part of a Blacktron group on Facebook and people there have tried to submit ideas only to have them taken down because they use Lego's old themes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
...pirates of barracuda bay...

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I did say "sometimes". Anyway, the original pirates submission wasn't a remake of 6285.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Funnily enough, Lego IP is one thing they do block, at least sometimes. I'm part of a Blacktron group on Facebook and people there have tried to submit ideas only to have them taken down because they use Lego's old themes.

Are you sure that's the reason they weren't approved? People, myself included use existing Lego themes on ideas all of the time, often they are remakes of actual sets.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Actually, I wasn't quite right. Old themes are fine but not straight up re releases of old sets, that might have been why that person's submission was rejected. To be fair he never posted what actually got rejected.

https://ideas.lego.com/guidelines#bring-back-projects

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So uh, can we just post poo poo we're working on? My friend and I have been playing a tabletop game that involves playing lego, specifically building minifig scale vehicles. This is the current one I'm fretting over:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No, this thread is only for talking about technicalities of the ideas program.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cojawfee posted:

No, this thread is only for talking about technicalities of the ideas program.

Oh. :(

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
:justpost:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There was a story on NPR about knockoff Lego

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/08/910724304/the-great-lego-scam

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I think we could use a few more banners here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

“Lego Group, the company that makes LEGOs,”

Trash article.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think we could use a few more banners here.

That's even worse than Brickset.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget the "SHOP! / PLAY!" full screen barrier when you visit shop.lego.com. It only happens once but if you're a cookie clearer type it makes you select again.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Lizard Combatant posted:

Contact Lego with a photo for a free replacement or go on bricklink and spend 10c plus shipping for a quicker result.

Bluh, the official site says 5-7 weeks for a replacement, and I assume that's for pieces that are in stock. The part I need isn't, so that probably adds more time.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...2iconly%22:0%7D
I looked a little closer, and I think four of the pieces are broken. One seller in France has two, and there's another in Portugal selling them for more a dollar each. When I first checked last night, and there were more options. Am I missing something, or does "Min. buy" mean I have to get 100 of those things from the Portuguese seller? Why does the French seller selling two twelve cent pieces have a minimum buy of $3.53?

Fake edit: Already more vendors, but most of them still cost almost a dollar.

E2: On the other hand, I just realized it says "purchases" will take that long, so maybe replacements will take less time?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 9, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are several terms for bricklink stores. A minimum buy for a part means you need to buy that minimum number. So if a brick has a min buy of 100, you have to buy at least 100. A whole order can have a minimum buy of a price, meaning you need to buy at least $3.53 worth of stuff from their store for it to be worth it for them to take the order to the post office. There's also minimum average price, meaning each lot in your order needs to meet an average. So you buy one thing for ten cents, and a few things for a dollar, and a bunch of things for five dollars, average those prices and it needs to be above whatever their minimum is. There's all kinds of dumb things like that in bricklink.

Sometimes you have to order in multiples of a number. I once needed needed a brick and one store required you to order in multiples of 4, but he only had 3 of the part.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Literally A Person posted:

So uh, can we just post poo poo we're working on? My friend and I have been playing a tabletop game that involves playing lego, specifically building minifig scale vehicles. This is the current one I'm fretting over:

Neat! What are playing?

How stable is that mech suit? Those spindly legs worry me.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dr Christmas posted:

Bluh, the official site says 5-7 weeks for a replacement, and I assume that's for pieces that are in stock. The part I need isn't, so that probably adds more time.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...2iconly%22:0%7D
I looked a little closer, and I think four of the pieces are broken. One seller in France has two, and there's another in Portugal selling them for more a dollar each. When I first checked last night, and there were more options. Am I missing something, or does "Min. buy" mean I have to get 100 of those things from the Portuguese seller? Why does the French seller selling two twelve cent pieces have a minimum buy of $3.53?

Fake edit: Already more vendors, but most of them still cost almost a dollar.

E2: On the other hand, I just realized it says "purchases" will take that long, so maybe replacements will take less time?

So you've linked to a less common variant of that brick with a solid stud instead of a hollow one. I'm not sure if that's the one in the set you want to replace, but if you're happy to have the hollow stud version there's many more options at much better prices

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30241b#T=S&C=7&O={%22color%22:%227%22,%22iconly%22:0}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

So you've linked to a less common variant of that brick with a solid stud instead of a hollow one. I'm not sure if that's the one in the set you want to replace, but if you're happy to have the hollow stud version there's many more options at much better prices

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30241b#T=S&C=7&O={%22color%22:%227%22,%22iconly%22:0}

Good catch. Yeah the one he linked was discontinued 6 years ago and wasn't even the most common variant of these 2 even back then. IIRC he needs this for the voltron set so the newer variant 30241b is the correct one.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 9, 2020