Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Isn't there a book about time traveling Hitler who moved to America and became a bad science fiction writer instead of y'know causing the holocaust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Isn't there a book about time traveling Hitler who moved to America and became a bad science fiction writer instead of y'know causing the holocaust

The Iron dream, but it has nothing to do with time travel.

Crushed like the skull of a mutant
vvvvv

Spazzle fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 9, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

You are thinking of "The Iron Dream" and while theres no time travel, it is an astonishingly good novel and about everything this thread is about. Its is an in universe critique of a pulp scif-fi book Hitler wrote, and its overall point is the ways which ideology like fascism are expressed in sci-fi and fantasy and how we need to critically think about how these stories are constructed.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 9, 2020

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Barudak posted:

You are thinking of "The Iron Dream" and while theres no time travel, it is an astonishingly good novel and about everything this thread is about. Its is an in universe critique of a pulp scif-fi book Hitler wrote, and its overall point is the ways which ideology like fascism are expressed in sci-fi and fantasy and how we need to critically think about how these stories are constructed.

I've only seen the cover lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've only seen the cover lol

The cover is great, yeah.

One of the best details in the book is that there are cosplayer conventions in the reality of the critique writer where people dress up like Hitlers characters and the description is basically garishly colorful wehrmacht stuff.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Black August posted:

in retrospect the massive number of books involving alt-time Nazi places which get loving detail are just no-poo poo suspect in the extreme

This is why I can't do WW2 miniature wargaming- you get a lot of guys who really, absolutely need to play an SS battalion every time. It's two hours with the Nazi-enthusiast, Army Navy store owner from "Falling Down"

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Galewolf posted:

This might be a "trap sprung!" post but I legit had tears when it happened in the books. I know I would groan like the jaded boomer I am today if I get to read them again but for 18 year old me, I was there bro.

From page 11 but same, except with Guerrands seagull dying in The Medusa Plague

come at me, bitches

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bismuth posted:

Sorry I was really high when I posted that, I was trying to think about the implications as in, what would the least bad way to do that be, like how do you have a creature with a rate of ageing that doesn't line up with humans be in a relationship in a non creepy way. I know we've all sort of accepted "500 year old elf/vampire/whatever falls in love with teen/YA human" thanks to its prevalence in media as "normal" but its always seemed equally weird and creepy to me as would a human and some creature that matured at 2-4x our growth rate. If you dont accept human growth rates as some kind of base for "normal" a lot of popular fantasy relationships start getting way weirder.

I don't think many people call Aragon/Arwen creepy, so clearly the answer is to have both the characters be grown adults by the standards of their species.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

VideoTapir posted:

I don't think many people call Aragon/Arwen creepy, so clearly the answer is to have both the characters be grown adults by the standards of their species.
It also helps if it's not any the 'I first met them when they were a child and then years later I met them as an adult and now we're married but I was an adult the whole time' type thing. It's fine if they just meet as adults.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Ween's song "She Wanted To Leave" comes to mind. It has the proper ending for such a story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd5vQWYjUxs

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Anyone else like William Forstchen and his Lost Regiment series until you found out he co-authored a book with Newt Gingrich which..., you guessed it, let Nazi Germany survive WW2?

"1945 is an alternate history written by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen in 1995 that described the period immediately after World War II in which the United States had fought only against Japan, which allowed Nazi Germany to force a truce with the Soviet Union, and the two victors confront each other in a cold war, which swiftly turns hot."

1945 was originally supposed to be a trilogy iirc but it bombed so badly the publisher ended up mulching most of the books. I liked Forstchen's Los Regiment series as a kid, but it just kept doubling down on the power ups. Let's check in on his most recent work:

The Final Day posted:

After defeating the designs of the alleged federal government, John Matherson and his community have returned their attention to restoring the technologies and social order that existed prior to the EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) attack. Then the government announces that it’s ceding large portions of the country to China and Mexico. The Constitution is no longer in effect, and what’s left of the U.S. Army has been deployed to suppress rebellion in the remaining states.

The man sent to confront John is General Bob Scales, John’s old commanding officer and closest friend from prewar days. Will General Scales follow orders, or might he be the crucial turning point in the quest for an America that is again united? As the dubious Federal government increasingly curtails liberty and trades away sovereignty, it might just get exactly what it fears: revolution.

Hmm, I wonder who was President when he wrote this?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

PetraCore posted:

It also helps if it's not any the 'I first met them when they were a child and then years later I met them as an adult and now we're married but I was an adult the whole time' type thing. It's fine if they just meet as adults.

Oh you mean like how Drizzt met Catti-brie when she was 8?

The Ranger
Apr 7, 2004

One of these days, I'm going to snap and kill that fucking bear.
Today I'm reminded of the existence of the Dragonlance short story (from one of the "Tales" anthologies) where a small amount of industrial-strength magic love potion powder somehow ended up in a batch of beer at the Inn of the Last Home. Cue an evening of drunken revelry where everyone goes insane with lust and jealousy and it ends up in a giant violent blacked-out-to-gently caress bar orgy.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

fuckin’ hate D&D default fantasy and the word crimes it helped write

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Bismuth posted:

Yeah I know he's a 100 year old elf but he should meet his human love interest when she is like 30 and competent I feel.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Ranger posted:

Today I'm reminded of the existence of the Dragonlance short story (from one of the "Tales" anthologies) where a small amount of industrial-strength magic love potion powder somehow ended up in a batch of beer at the Inn of the Last Home. Cue an evening of drunken revelry where everyone goes insane with lust and jealousy and it ends up in a giant violent blacked-out-to-gently caress bar orgy.

Hey, have you ever read Patrick Suskind's "Perfume?"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bismuth posted:

Catti-brie seems like it should be in the PFY Bad Names thread

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
what was the name of that lolcow author? the cover of his fantasy book had a MS paint castle that looked like a dick iirc, and there is some pic of him at a con wearing a perturbing horse costume

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Solvent posted:

cool you should tell him that. have a chat about context and moral gradient, im sure he'll say something smart. im not gonna argue the meaning of someone else's words. i liked the omnivore series. no rape, mostly mushrooms.

So are you actually Piers Anthony or what is going on here? Because pretty much the only thing the entire thread has agreed on so far, other than Kender needing to die painfully, has been that this guy sucks.

The context is that the main character, Bink, who is supposed to be read as the reasonable and nice hero, is asked to judge at a rape trial, looks at the woman and thinks "Whoa, she's hot! I can see why people would want to rape her!". But I see that I just didn't get the highly nuanced details in that scene in a book written for twelve year olds, and should give Piers Anthony the benefit of the doubt.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I read the original Dark Elf Trilogy, back in the day. Then a few of the later ones. But I peaced out around the Siege of Mithral Hall and was astonished to see the Drittz saga was up to book 36! (Out this year.)

That Cattie-Brie history sure is something.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Catti-brie

The contortions to get from 'Young ranger-ish girl with magic bow' to 'Mighty wizard and suitable love interest for designated protagonist' whilst simultaneously having to move her forward 150 years in time as new Dnd editions were released are really wild.

Up to and including actual reincarnation.

Edit: What if being a cool Archer wasn't cool enough? What If I gave her the ability to use every type of magic there is.

quote:

In her first life, Catti-brie was a skilled archer. However, in her second life, due to having no practice, she struggled with the bow and arrow, much preferring magic.[54]

In her second life, from a young age, Catti-brie was able to cast both divine and arcane spells. She was able to use healing magic from Mielikki from the age of five.[55] She was well-versed in both new and old arcane magic,[45] and was particularly fond of flashy evocations.[56] She also had an affinity for druidic magic, including the spell call lightning. Until her shapeshifting left her upon the return of the Weave in 1479 DR, she was able to shapeshift into the following forms: wolf,[57] owl,[58] hawk,[59] and eagle.[60]

LOL

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 9, 2020

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Head Bee Guy posted:

what was the name of that lolcow author? the cover of his fantasy book had a MS paint castle that looked like a dick iirc, and there is some pic of him at a con wearing a perturbing horse costume

J F Bibeau?

Surprise! He’s a creep!

https://lywinis.tumblr.com/post/15499041346/update-about-creeper-kuzco-j-f-bibeau-tw

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It gets lost in the all the creepy pedo poo poo, but Piers Anthony is a Gor-level misogynist. Women are just dumber and less competent that literally any man, and any women that thinks otherwise needs to be shown how inferior she is, usually though sexual assault which she'll love because it'll make her accept her place as a gently caress object.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

The Ranger posted:

god damnit I hate that I know I read this

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Weiss and Hickman also wrote a trilogy called Darksword in the late 80s and, as wikipedia just informed me, a fourth book a decade later.

I remember reading the trilogy over a week and getting annoyed at the ending because the fantasy world gets invaded by a modern military force. Modern by 80s standards anyway. The thing is I can't remember if the hero brought them into the world to liberate it or if they were the villains (or a bit of both). All I recall is that the protagonist was special for being born lacking magic. Everyone else has magic powers in this world so he must be special for not having them. Also there was the titular darksword which did something that I can't recall either.

So before submitting this post I went and read a synopsis - holy crap I had forgotten most of it but can now confirm with 100% certainty that it deserves to be in the bad fantasy books thread.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

alpaca diseases posted:

From page 11 but same, except with Guerrands seagull dying in The Medusa Plague

come at me, bitches

Oh man I entirely forgot that I read that trilogy! Night of the Eye was pretty good iirc (for Dragonlance standards, that is) and I remember enjoying a series not about the usual group of idiots.

It's okay buddy, this is a safe space we can confess our love/nostalgia towards bad fantasy (like, almost all of it tbh). :glomp:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Deptfordx posted:

I read the original Dark Elf Trilogy, back in the day. Then a few of the later ones. But I peaced out around the Siege of Mithral Hall and was astonished to see the Drittz saga was up to book 36! (Out this year.)

That Cattie-Brie history sure is something.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Catti-brie

The contortions to get from 'Young ranger-ish girl with magic bow' to 'Mighty wizard and suitable love interest for designated protagonist' whilst simultaneously having to move her forward 150 years in time as new Dnd editions were released are really wild.

Up to and including actual reincarnation.

Edit: What if being a cool Archer wasn't cool enough? What If I gave her the ability to use every type of magic there is.

LOL

I wrote a big rear end complaining post earlier in the thread about her and yeah, whew, she sucks rear end lmao. Its hard to be more of a mary sue than Drizzt, but like, she PULLS it off

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Weiss and Hickman also wrote a trilogy called Darksword in the late 80s and, as wikipedia just informed me, a fourth book a decade later.

I remember reading the trilogy over a week and getting annoyed at the ending because the fantasy world gets invaded by a modern military force. Modern by 80s standards anyway. The thing is I can't remember if the hero brought them into the world to liberate it or if they were the villains (or a bit of both). All I recall is that the protagonist was special for being born lacking magic. Everyone else has magic powers in this world so he must be special for not having them. Also there was the titular darksword which did something that I can't recall either.

So before submitting this post I went and read a synopsis - holy crap I had forgotten most of it but can now confirm with 100% certainty that it deserves to be in the bad fantasy books thread.

The invaders had laser tanks and they overran a game of war-chess or something?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Bismuth posted:

I wrote a big rear end complaining post earlier in the thread about her and yeah, whew, she sucks rear end lmao. Its hard to be more of a mary sue than Drizzt, but like, she PULLS it off

quote:

She was the first to befriend Drizzt when he arrived in Icewind Dale in 1347 DR. She took a great personal risk to warn Drizzt about the presence of the bounty hunter Roddy McGristle.

Roddy did nothing wrong. He should have called his friends Fridge McLargeMeat and Brick van Huge and beaten the poo poo out of them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bismuth posted:

I mean it helps she's a hot babe readers want to gently caress. That puts her above Drizzt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Prince Reggie K posted:

has there been a fantasy novel from the perspective of a party of murder hobos?

This is from pages ago but the TV series Tigtone has the main character (the titular Tigtone) as a murder hobo. All he cares about are completing quests and getting magic items.

Black August posted:

in retrospect the massive number of books involving alt-time Nazi places which get loving detail are just no-poo poo suspect in the extreme

There's also a lot of writers who think that if the Nazis won we would have Moon bases and crazy sci-fi technology in the 50s. Ignoring the real history where Nazi super weapons were invariably crap that didn't work.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I love Tigtone. You've got to respect a show that intentionally tries to have dialogue as stilted as possible while still making sense.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

GURPS had a great multiple-timelines setting book, and the Nazis Won one was a primary antagonist, and their timeline is presented much more realistically as being a modern-day empire on the verge of fatal collapse because of massive infighting, purity testing, tensions with Japan, and neverending corruption ripping the whole mess to threads waiting to be burned in another mass war

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

PetraCore posted:

aragorn was a small child, and arwen was thousands of years old when they met the first time

aragorn was groomed by her

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Splash Attack posted:

i think sometimes you have to remember that fiction is fiction and sometimes people write things that they don't really think about how it comes across or implies. or they're just genuinely trying to be edgy and subversive, i remember a lot of the praise for GRRM before game of thrones made his stuff mainstream was how it didn't follow traditional storytelling tropes, like the red wedding offing one of the protagonists of the series. basically what i'm saying is that people can write bad and horrifying fiction but it doesn't mean they're sex offenders or serial killers in disguise, otherwise everyone who wrote terrible snarry fanfiction as a teen would be under suspicion.

i didn't know what that meant so i googled it

people who wrote 'snarry fanfiction' should definitely be on some list

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I don't understand why Drizzt's old party couldn't just move on to their afterlives and Drizzt could mourn but then meet new, interesting characters, perhaps with more than one token woman in the group, women who don't exist to be his love interest.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Wasn't Drizzt bangin Alustriel on the side?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

PetraCore posted:

I don't understand why Drizzt's old party couldn't just move on to their afterlives and Drizzt could mourn but then meet new, interesting characters, perhaps with more than one token woman in the group, women who don't exist to be his love interest.

Authors can't stand to have their Precious Characters move along, cause then they might have to come up with something new and they wouldn't have an excuse for everyone in the setting to be kissing up to Gary Stu II. Literally why 4ed dumped half the pantheon (that no one cared about) but 5e somehow brought them back.

Interestingly, the Neverwinter Online MMO did a good job of conveniently sticking all the Salvatore/Greenwood sideshow in the background long enough for the players to actually beat up Demogorgon/Tiamat/various other bosses.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
lol at ever liking Feist

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Cloacamazing! posted:

So are you actually Piers Anthony or what is going on here? Because pretty much the only thing the entire thread has agreed on so far, other than Kender needing to die painfully, has been that this guy sucks.

The context is that the main character, Bink, who is supposed to be read as the reasonable and nice hero, is asked to judge at a rape trial, looks at the woman and thinks "Whoa, she's hot! I can see why people would want to rape her!". But I see that I just didn't get the highly nuanced details in that scene in a book written for twelve year olds, and should give Piers Anthony the benefit of the doubt.

Take a break friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Can we talk about how hosed up this series is

Auel is a lunatic and the depths of her psyche become clearer and clearer with each book