Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You also need external torx to remove the stabilizer bars above the engine if you want to get all the engine covers off. I got a pdf manual and it's ok but it's a bitch and a half to find anything because there are no links to other pages in it. So when it says to do something, you have to manually find it from the 700 pages. I'll have to see if there is an interactive version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There is an interactive version published online for the E39 but it's not the most intuitive thing of all time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Spark plugs on the S55 is easily a 2-3 hour job with all the poo poo you have to pull off the engine. Not sure how much if any easier the N54/55 will be.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fknlo posted:

Spark plugs on the S55 is easily a 2-3 hour job with all the poo poo you have to pull off the engine. Not sure how much if any easier the N54/55 will be.

I didn't think it was that bad? On the N55, I worked around the brace, just have some wobble extensions handy. Also there's a special "tool" which is really a piece of hose the right diameter and length to hand install the plugs, it's pretty useful. Also, I think I noted before, my N52 spark plug socket doesn't work, the N55 spark plug socket is even thinner wall. Not too bad all things considered.

I'm going to have to do that again soon, come to think of it, since I'm basically at 90k. Feels like I just did it, but I guess it has been about two years. =/

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I changed the spark plugs on my N55 F10 last year. It took me around 3 hours to do for the first time. There is one torx bolt that has to be removed that is incredibly irritating to get to. For the F10 you don't need to remove the brace but you do need to move the channel that has all the cables running across the top.

Coils are super cheap now (I got them for something like $20 each) so I just replaced all those at the same time as the spark plugs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess I should do my spark plugs pretty soon.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Oh and also be aware that if your car has pretty much any amount of miles on it there's an crankcase vent hose that goes in to the charge pipe that might as well be disposable. It gets super brittle over time and from what I can tell is almost impossible to remove without it breaking. It's a $25 part.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFTR1M1

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I used a mobile detailing service and the two goofuses they sent acted like they'd never seen a car or hose before, but hot drat the car is looking fine

Freshly cleaned and waxed car makes it a lot easier to spot all the rock chips though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Also there's a special "tool" which is really a piece of hose the right diameter and length to hand install the plugs, it's pretty useful.

seconding that this is a very useful tool

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I am selling this thing before I have to do the plugs out of warranty. gently caress THAT.

I haven't even looked up the procedure but there is no way its not an absolute nightmare. There is a lot of poo poo crammed around a lot of motor turbocharger priming device in that engine bay.

e: give me crumbling e36 plastic all day, at least its not expensive :thunkgun:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jesus. Is this because there's that big ugly plastic shield over top the engine, and I guess they just layer more poo poo on top of that because why not

I remember in highschool we would pull the plugs on our cars to check the compression in the cylinder out of boredom, but you could actually see the engine. Was a 5 minute job

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Jesus. Is this because there's that big ugly plastic shield over top the engine, and I guess they just layer more poo poo on top of that because why not

I remember in highschool we would pull the plugs on our cars to check the compression in the cylinder out of boredom, but you could actually see the engine. Was a 5 minute job

It's mostly because the engine sits pretty far back so to get to the last 1-2 coil packs/spark plugs some stuff has to be moved out the way. I think if I did the spark plugs again I could probably do it in 30 minutes or so.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
To be fair this has been an annoyance on BMWs since the e36 but I'm getting old and lazy.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

One upside of the diesel-sounding turbo 4s is that plugs are easier to deal with. I did them in my N20 F30 in like an hour and didn’t have to remove the brace to get at them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

With the s55 you have to pull the brace and charge pipes to get to the back plug or two. That's what takes the most time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:rip:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lmaooooo. But also gently caress misha

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Love too ship with a "diffusor" which is just a piece of plastic fascia with a couple of ribs on it that kind of resemble the outlet of a diffuser

It's modern best practice

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
How reliable are e34 m3’s? I understand their sort of the bastards child of the m3 lineup, is that correct?

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/elyria-bmw-m-sedan-e36/7183306675.html

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Regarding N54/N55 valve covers... it's really not a bad job. The biggest pain is removal of wires and fuel lines to gain access to the cover. You *WILL* need an accurate 1/4" torque wrench as the values are in the tens of Nm, I believe 25 Nm for all bolts as well as the fuel rail.

Buy your valve cover from FCP Euro for the 'next repair'. It has the gasket already installed as well as all of the bolts. I wouldn't suggest replacing the gasket only; the cover contains the oil separation and gets clogged up on top of cracking. When the valve cover cracks then you will run into boost issues due to vacuum leaking. :D

This shows the electrical 'lifted' as well as rails removed:

I tapped my head to prevent cracking from affecting me in future. I run an external PCV/check valve system for high/low boost situations.

Torque everything up and done!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

willroc7 posted:

How reliable are e34 m3’s? I understand their sort of the bastards child of the m3 lineup, is that correct?

They are very reliable, they just tend to fall apart interior wise. Just the usual BMW diet of cooling system, suspension bushings, power steering lines, and valve cover gaskets.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

willroc7 posted:

They’re dope as hell and seem way more reliable than 46 and 9Xs

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

They are very reliable, they just tend to fall apart interior wise. Just the usual BMW diet of cooling system, suspension bushings, power steering lines, and valve cover gaskets.

Looks like many of those issues have been addressed and the interior is in good shape, no? I’ll look to go check it out.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

When I saw it and no other confirmations I honestly thought its some lame photoshop

willroc7 posted:

e36! also they are regarded as 'last proper' m3 and a huge step up after e30
reliable when serviced properly and timely

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Forgive me father for I have sinned.

Edit: I asked him about the airbag light being on and he said ,”Yes. It was on when I purchased it. I was told the window was worked on and it just needs reset. “

Is that anything to worry about?

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 9, 2020

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

AntherUslessPoster posted:

e36! also they are regarded as 'last proper' m3

In what universe is the E36 a 'proper' M3 but the E46 is not?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Edit: I asked him about the airbag light being on and he said ,”Yes. It was on when I purchased it. I was told the window was worked on and it just needs reset. “

It's something to worry about if it's been there since he got it and he never fixed it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

jink posted:

Regarding N54/N55 valve covers...

This is great, thanks

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SlapActionJackson posted:

yeah who knows about that comment

looks like a clean car, i wouldnt worry too much about the airbag light but you should def get a carfax to figure out if there's any reason that light might be on.

1998 model year probably has side impact airbags and if someone pulled the door apart to fix the window regulator they might have caused the light to go off. needs a proprietary tool to reset the light.

if i wasnt laid off and looking for work this would be a very tempting possible project:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2008-bmw-m3-not-running/7184994284.html

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

In what universe is the E36 a 'proper' M3 but the E92 with the bespoke and amazing 4.0 liter NA V8 that is the best sounding engine ever is not?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

willroc7 posted:

Gotta be checked with a scan tool, if all airbags are in place oughta be the steering wheel bag ring, cables tend to wear

In the same world where *insert your own chassis* is regarded as last proper M car (e30, e36, e46 aka boat, e90 and so on)
aka
sarcastic remark

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Gotta be checked with a scan tool, if all airbags are in place oughta be the steering wheel bag ring, cables tend to wear

In the same world where *insert your own chassis* is regarded as last proper M car (e30, e36, e46 aka boat, e90 and so on)
aka
sarcastic remark

I have a generic odb2 scanner and a vag com from my Audi’s, would either of those work?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
no there's a specific tool for airbag(SRS) reset

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

willroc7 posted:

I owned one. You can check my post history in this thread for my experience with it. I really liked it. It turned me fully on to the brand. Something always breaking but it also taught me a lot of how to wrench. Cooling system stuff as mentioned. Literally every suspension bushing. The big thing to look out for with this will be the upper rear shock mounts. The 98 should have the little plates that are reinforced but if someone is really caning the thing they will punch through the sheet metal. It is a nasty failure and a horrific repair that is beyond the abilities of most capable wrenches. You will always be working on something with it. It will always need attention.

Buy it. Everyone should buy M3's. All M3's are good and cool and you should rehome an M3 today!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

willroc7 posted:

that guy is lying to you fyi

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

See, this is why I like the M2 brigade, helpfully identified by their avatars.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

aka
sarcastic remark

The last m3 is the f80

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Big Jesus posted:

The last m3 is the f80

I think it will be looked upon more fondly as time goes by just like every single other M car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

real bmws start with 5 etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The last real M3 is always current generation - 1. Always has been.